Release Random Trailers Screensaver / Script - plays random trailers from library
(2015-10-31, 21:46)Method007 Wrote: When I hit enter or select on a trailer, the movie doesn't play - the script just stops. Anybody else have this issue?

same here, will try to grab a log as well.
Has development stopped?
Not working on Kodi 17?
Kodi 20.1 with Aeon Nox Silvo,
Nvidia shield Pro 9.1.1 with Android 11.
I am working on resurrecting this addon/addons. (screen saver as well as script). I am hopeful that within a month or so it will be ready for showing.

I have sent a note to the original author to get his blessing, but since he has not logged in for over four years I am not too hopeful.

The screensaver  is functional as is (Kodi 18) , but the script is not. I am doing this because I like the plugins, I want to get better at Python, and I find it a good way to learn more about Kodi API. Fortunately I have time on my hands so I am giving it a go.

I have done major refactoring, fixing bugs and improving performance, usability and maintainability. It is perfectly usable for my testing purposes, but I'm sure that the stability is not there yet.

Before release, I want to accomplish, as a minimum:
  • Stabilize
  • Get the event processing working properly and add some capabilities that I badly want:
  1. Play movie now, add movie to a playlist or otherwise tag it for later
  2. Bring up to current Kodi and Python standards (hopefully best practices)
  3. Make Python 3 ready
  4. Lay groundwork for other than English users or movies
I fully expect it to take quite a while after I have a reasonably well working plugin before I can accomplish items 2 & 3 above. A major concern is the pending Python 3 migration, however, I have already taken the first few steps by incorporating the __future__ package.

Frank
I have largely rewritten Random Trailers Screensaver. It is not ready for alpha testing yet, but it should be within several months. I am very near feature complete, but a lot of testing is required, as well as Python 2/3 compatibility testing. A lot of UI fine tuning is needed. My biggest concern is that I added more features than what most people need as well as too much complexity in setup.

Among the features:
  • Designed to be Python 2/3 friendly, but I have yet to test in a Python 3 environment
  • Gets trailers from the library, TMDB,Apple and local trailers folder.
  • Falls back to TMDB for missing trailers from local database
  • Falls back to TMDB for missing movie details from Apple
  • Supports a local cache for trailers and information downloaded from TMDB
  • Supports Normalization of audio, mostly to help ghastly recordings originating from youtube
  • Adds much more Genre filtering capabilities for local, TMDB and Apple
  • Adds year range and other filtering
  • Has maximum time limit for trailer, to address very long clips or full movies masquerading as trailers
  • Runs as a screensaver as well as a plugin
  • Back-end is a separate long-running service, reducing startup time and high startup cost
Other features, which I am experimenting with, but which may not make the final product include:
  • User ability to add current trailer to a  "playlist" mostly to flag movies that they would like to watch, or note for any reason
  • Some statistics
  • Reports of movies without trailers, actor and  genre lists

Future features under consideration:
  • Restore support for RottonTomatoes
  • Add support for other trailer sites
  • The ability to have trailers play in some theme:
    • Movies similar to recently played movies (actor/genre/age)
    • Play trailers in clusters of similar movies (genres, actors, etc.)
    • This require lots of experimentation
  • Select trailers from a playlist
(2019-02-09, 00:20)fbacher Wrote: I am working on resurrecting this addon/addons. (screen saver as well as script). I am hopeful that within a month or so it will be ready for showing.

I have sent a note to the original author to get his blessing, but since he has not logged in for over four years I am not too hopeful.

The screensaver  is functional as is (Kodi 18) , but the script is not. I am doing this because I like the plugins, I want to get better at Python, and I find it a good way to learn more about Kodi API. Fortunately I have time on my hands so I am giving it a go.

I have done major refactoring, fixing bugs and improving performance, usability and maintainability. It is perfectly usable for my testing purposes, but I'm sure that the stability is not there yet.

Before release, I want to accomplish, as a minimum:
  • Stabilize
  • Get the event processing working properly and add some capabilities that I badly want:
  1. Play movie now, add movie to a playlist or otherwise tag it for later
  2. Bring up to current Kodi and Python standards (hopefully best practices)
  3. Make Python 3 ready
  4. Lay groundwork for other than English users or movies
I fully expect it to take quite a while after I have a reasonably well working plugin before I can accomplish items 2 & 3 above. A major concern is the pending Python 3 migration, however, I have already taken the first few steps by incorporating the __future__ package.

Frank

Hi Frank. Thanks for your efforts with this project. Have you got it going? I am very keen to try it out.
Cheers.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Random Trailers Screensaver / Script - plays random trailers from library2