Solved How to rename a TV seires
edit: Solution found here

Original Question:

OK. So I have "The Legend of Kora" as it appears on thetvdb.com. However I would like it to be displayed as "Avatar: The Legend of Kora".
edit: For detail please see post 8 I explain what I was expecting and the steps I took.

I thought this would be as simple as exporting the nfo files and changing the Title tag.

When I reset the scraper The TV Show title in the file view of xbmc now shows up as the folder name on my hard drive instead of the scraped title or the new title I put in the nfo file.
tvshow.nfo should do the trick - see for more information:
http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=NFO_files/tvshows
Need help? Check out my XBMC Frodo Guide. It contains full featured guides to Sickbeard and CouchPotato as well.

Sorry if I wasn't clear but I did already try that, thank you for pointing it out though. I tried changing the title tag and the showtitle tag in the tvshow.nfo file. And also the showtitle tag in the episodename.nfo file as well. Neither combination of the nfo file settings had the desired effect. When I get home from work I will post and example of what I had as a nfo file
Mhm - it works here... Undecided
Maybe you need to completely rescan the show into the library? I.e. delete it from the lib first and then scrape again. However - this might cause issues in regards to the actual scraping. If you however use nfo-files generally, there shouldn't be a problem.

Something else you should try: Mark LoK and open the context menu, click on "TV Show Information" and on the next screen hit "Refresh". Click on "Yes" when it asks you if you want to update the information for all the episodes.
XBMC should then ask you if you want to use the information found in the NFO-files or if you want to search the scraper directly. Choose to load the information from the NFO files.
Need help? Check out my XBMC Frodo Guide. It contains full featured guides to Sickbeard and CouchPotato as well.

(2013-07-08, 17:47)HenryFord Wrote: Mhm - it works here... Undecided
Maybe you need to completely rescan the show into the library? I.e. delete it from the lib first and then scrape again. However - this might cause issues in regards to the actual scraping. If you however use nfo-files generally, there shouldn't be a problem.

Something else you should try: Mark LoK and open the context menu, click on "TV Show Information" and on the next screen hit "Refresh". Click on "Yes" when it asks you if you want to update the information for all the episodes.
XBMC should then ask you if you want to use the information found in the NFO-files or if you want to search the scraper directly. Choose to load the information from the NFO files.

Yes I also tried doing a tv show info refresh and it asked if I wanted to ignore local and go to internet. I said no. And then it scans incorrectly and shows blank tv information and no thumbnail.

After that I tried setting the scrapper to none and re-adding it by going to tv info again. And then it finds the nfo file and properly reads it. Everything in the tv info screen shows up properly EVEN THE TITLE. Its just that the title doesnt get renamed in the folder view. Which I found very odd. Ill look into doing it again tonight with debugging turned on and post that as well.
Wait - I think I completely misunderstood what you were trying to do:
You mean the folder in the file view doesn't get renamed? That is expected behaviour since that view actually displays the files, not the metadata related to those files.

For example, I have the TV Show "Archer", the folder is named only "Archer" on my disk. XBMC would always scrape some old show named "Archer", but I was trying to add the show "Archer" from 2009. So I did the appropiate changes to the series and selected "Archer (2009)" from the scraper-list. However - in file mode the folder is still showing up as "Archer" and not "Archer (2009)". The library however clearly states "Archer (2009)".

Another example: The TV Show is named "The Increasingly Poor Decisions of Todd Margareth" in the library, but on disk it's named "TIPDOTM" - the file view shows the abbrevation, not the actual title of the series.

I think you pinpointed the difference between file mode (which will show filenames) and library mode (which will show metadata).
Some metadata is shown in file mode as well (fanart etc) because there was a big request for it, and it did not impact showing the filenames.
This is hard to do while im not home. But ill try and explain. Please note images linked are random files I found online but It should help.

So lets say I have the show "The Legend of Korra". On my hard drive in a folder is called "Avitar LOK" (for examples sake).

I navigate to the folder in the Video>Files>Source menu and see this screen Image(example image)

This screen will be referred to as the "file view" from now on

Because the folder is newly added and not scrapped yet the thumbnail shows as the default folder thumbnail and the name of the folder is the same as on the disk. ("Avitar LOK"). I then Right click and say TV Show Information.

The scraper searches for the show but cant find it due to the weird naming. I manually type out "The Legend of Korra" and the scraper finds it no problem. Naming the show "The Legend of Kora" and now on the file view the name has changed from "Avitar LOK" to "The Legend of Korra". The folder on the hard drive is still "Avitar LOK".

I would like the series to show as "Avitar: The Legend of Korra" in the file view so that it sorts next to Avitar: The Last Airbender.

So I export the nfo files and change the <title> tag to "Avitar: The Legend of Korra" I have also tried changing the <showtitle> tag and every combination of the two in the tvshow.nfo AND the episodetitle.nfo files.

I then go to the TV Show Information screen. Example seen here: Image

Hit refresh and all info goes blank and thumbnail that was downloaded from scraper disappears.

I then set the scraper to none to reset it and then back to TV Shows. It then scans the nfo files and in the TV Show Information screen, at the top where it says "The Breakfast club" in the example image, it shows the title as desired ("Avitar: The Legend Of Korra") However in the files view it shows as "Avitar LOK" for some reason. I dont know why
File view shows real filenames.

If you want it changed there, you must go behind the scenes and RENAME the files and folder to the name you want to see
(2013-07-08, 19:21)philhu Wrote: File view shows real filenames.

If you want it changed there, you must go behind the scenes and RENAME the files and folder to the name you want to see

Why? XBMC renames the files and folders (edit: IN THE FILE VIEW OF XBMC) without me doing anything "behind the scenes" when it gets the info from the scraper. Why cant it rename the files and folders (edit: IN THE FILE VIEW OF XBMC) when it gets the info from the nfo files
XBMC does not rename anything on disk. If so configured it can scrape for metadata, and that is added to the database. There is a library view that shows the metadata.

If you want to rename your files on disk to assist in scraping, there are several supplemental tools available - there even is a subforum about them: http://forum.xbmc.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=116

You use the file view instead of the library view. Try selecting 'Tv Shows' from your home screen and use the library view.
(2013-07-08, 19:31)Kibje Wrote: XBMC does not rename anything on disk. If so configured it can scrape for metadata, and that is added to the database. There is a library view that shows the metadata.

If you want to rename your files on disk, there are several supplemental tools available - there even is a sub forum about them: http://forum.xbmc.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=116

Correct. However I do NOT want it to rename anything on the disk. I think because of time of posts you may have missed my post explaining in detail what Im expecting link here post 8
Nah - I think what he means:
There is a new option (I'm not sure since when) in the settings -> video -> file lists:
"Replace file names with library titles"

This actually does what he describes. I just tested it, set the name of a folder to 000BABBEL and added the tvshow.nfo from the series Chuck. After the show was scraped as "Chuck" into the library, the file list also displayed "Chuck" for the folder name instead of "000BABBEL"... However: It's working here...?! But, something is different in my test: I named the series in the tvshow to the actual name it has on theTVDB - so the information could be partly coming from the scraper. I don't know how exactly this is working, so... yeah Wink

You want it to display a different name (-> metadata) in file view, a view that is not meant to show metadata but does so partly. Because this is a 'hacked in' implementation it is very well possible it is broken, but it is also possible you just did not remove the show correctly. Does the show also show up the same way in the TV Shows (== library) view ?

Did you remove the entire show from disk (your source folder) and clean library, before placing it back with the modified NFO files so you forced it to get rescraped ?
(2013-07-08, 19:39)Kibje Wrote: You want it to display a different name (-> metadata) in file view, a view that is not meant to show metadata but does so partly. Because this is a 'hacked in' implementation it is very well possible it is broken, but it is also possible you just did not remove the show correctly. Does the show also show up the same way in the TV Shows (== library) view ?

Did you remove the entire show from disk (your source folder) and clean library, before placing it back with the modified NFO files so you forced it to get rescraped ?

Im not at home right now so I cant check how it shows in the library view correctly. I did move the show into a sub folder for testing when I realized it wasn't working correctly. I also did do a couple clean library's through out the process but I cant remember exactly if I did it before re scraping but since I changed the path I doubt it would have changed the result.

I will try again when I get home and post the results.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
How to rename a TV seires0