WIP Dirty Region improvements/bugs
This thread is to collect sections where Dirty Regions (DR) fails to properly do it's job and further discuss improvements.

Note:
not all posted finding will be bugs. They may well be how is supposed to be

Below post i will add the DR mode option used for clarity
Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe
Settings section:

When entering the settings and choose a section there nothing marked dirty.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/7435...hot010.png

now hit the button right the go to the separate options and you will see that the section button stays marked dirty
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/7435...hot011.png

(DR=1)

Edit:
CPU usage diffrence is about ~3% on a Intel Atom after switching between the two sections
Main menu:
switching between main menu items and submenu items (and vice versa) will mark all main menu items dirty
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/7435...hot013.png

only the one you just switched from should be marked dirty as it changes colour.

(DR=1)
Switching from one main menu item to another marks the bottom section DR while there aren't any visible changes there.
this is the place where normally you could place addons but since i don't have them there they shouldn't be marked dirty

(disclaimer: could well be a skin issue)

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/7435...hot014.png

(DR=1)
Tearing in music viz because of not marking rotated text rectangle dirty
info in ticket
http://trac.xbmc.org/ticket/14242
one frame defects can be considered as acceptable, as they doesn't cause user inconveniences. please, only ones with permanent CPU usage.
(2013-08-21, 21:51)stupid-boy Wrote: one frame defects can be considered as acceptable, as they doesn't cause user inconveniences. please, only ones with permanent CPU usage.

post number 2 is permanent CPU usage as it stays dirty the whole time.
was just listing them for myself too fyi Smile
not that you should fix them all ofcourse but more that these are possible thing that are worth looking into at some point
ok, then to add one by myself, not exactly related to DR:
CGUIControlGroup:Tonguerocess does a lot of strange things with child focus on every frame.

EDIT: not CGUIControlGroup:Tonguerocess, it looks ok. looked again, can't find suspected control now.
Martijn, regarding 2, decision from the team is needed:
are you ready to lose that 'wonderful' glory button indicating currently selected section and to add current section to title label ( to behave as system info window )? if yes, remove CGUIWindowSettingsCategory:Big GrinoProcess and CPU will be low.
if not, please find another way to make that glory, because current one will continue to consume CPU.

hope that gives some deep insight on 2. that is all that i can help here, i can't made that decision for you.
Confirming Martijn's observation in post #2: within Settings, selecting an option on the right side of the screen leaves the Section heading/label in the left hand column permanently "dirty".

On a Raspberry Pi (with all of stupid-boys recent GUI patches), this means the difference between 25% CPU load (dirty regions working correctly) and 65% CPU load (single item permanently - and incorrectly - dirty).
Texture Cache Maintenance Utility: Preload your texture cache for optimal UI performance. Remotely manage media libraries. Purge unused artwork to free up space. Find missing media. Configurable QA check to highlight metadata issues. Aid in diagnosis of library and cache related problems.
MilhouseVH, reason for #2 is in #9. i can't fix this as it is 'by design'. sorry for that.
(2013-08-25, 20:18)stupid-boy Wrote: MilhouseVH, reason for #2 is in #9. i can't fix this as it is 'by design'. sorry for that.

No worries, thanks for all your efforts thus far. Fingers crossed the design can be improved...
Texture Cache Maintenance Utility: Preload your texture cache for optimal UI performance. Remotely manage media libraries. Purge unused artwork to free up space. Find missing media. Configurable QA check to highlight metadata issues. Aid in diagnosis of library and cache related problems.
(2013-08-24, 21:48)stupid-boy Wrote: Martijn, regarding 2, decision from the team is needed:
are you ready to lose that 'wonderful' glory button indicating currently selected section and to add current section to title label ( to behave as system info window )? if yes, remove CGUIWindowSettingsCategory:Big GrinoProcess and CPU will be low.
if not, please find another way to make that glory, because current one will continue to consume CPU.

hope that gives some deep insight on 2. that is all that i can help here, i can't made that decision for you.

if you can solve this and keep the category button "highlighted" so you know in what category you are feel free to do so.
to me it sounds strange that a static highlighted button with no visual effect should be marked dirty all the time.
ok, it is clear you didn't looked at code. will explain in short.
this function changes alpha and sets this button focused in order to use its focused image. that SetFocus invalidates its region. after Process it restores button to unfocused, again invalidating it, but this time without result. trick used here is focused image + some alpha to made that glory.

..... and debugging this you will end with 2 focused controls at the same time, don't ask me how stupid i was looking at debugger at this moment ....

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Dirty Region improvements/bugs0