• 242(current)
Linux Radeon OSS with vdpau (howto)
you are welcome
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
Hi Fritsch,

I've asked for help few pages ago. Finally I've reinstalled ubuntu 14.04 LTS from scratch but still I have 6 - 8 FPS on 1080 mkv files.

Here are my new logs:

http://paste.ubuntu.com/11752220/
http://paste.ubuntu.com/11752221/
http://paste.ubuntu.com/11752222/
http://paste.ubuntu.com/11752223/
http://paste.ubuntu.com/11752262/

Hope you can help me to finally get things work.
Logs are fine.

Revisit with OpenELEC from a thumb drive. If you can change the UMA size in bios, set it to 512 MB.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
@deadok Which kernel are you running? I get similar frame rates with the 3.19 and 4.0 series.
Living Room: Ubuntu 16.10 x64 | BayTrail-M SOC | Krypton | Hitachi 55L6 | Yamaha RX-V665 | 7.1 Polk Surround
Den: RetroPie 4.1 | Raspberry Pi 3 | Krypton | VIZIO XVT553SV
Bedroom: OSMC 2017.02-1 | Raspberry Pi 3 | Krypton | VIZIO E370VA
HP Chromebook 14: Ubuntu 16.04 x64 | Celeron 2955U | Jarvis
NAS: Windows 10 | 20TB on DrivePool | Emby DB | Subsonic | Plex
@VanillaXtract
about the kernels.. i run on an E350 board, i follow the mainstream kernels, im now at kernel 4.1.0-040100-generic which works fine, bet less cpu load aberage 15% load at 800Mhz compaired to 4.0rc3 i was running. 18% load avg.

but beware. if you going to use a 4.1 kernel, you must add the ppa. : deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/kalon33/experim...uff/ubuntu utopic main
which uses libva 1.6.0~pre and mesa 10.4.2, so you can make use of some more advanced kernel things.. what.. google for it..

@deadok make also sure you dont forget to install linux-firmware
when i compair my log with yours the x11 log.
i your drivers there.
[ 24.071] (II) LoadModule: "ati"
[ 24.072] (II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers/ati_drv.so
[ 24.072] (II) Module ati: vendor="X.Org Foundation"
[ 24.072] compiled for 1.16.0, module version = 7.4.0
[ 24.072] Module class: X.Org Video Driver
[ 24.072] ABI class: X.Org Video Driver, version 18.0
[ 24.072] (II) LoadModule: "radeon"
[ 24.072] (II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers/radeon_drv.so
[ 24.080] (II) Module radeon: vendor="X.Org Foundation"
[ 24.080] compiled for 1.16.0, module version = 7.4.0
[ 24.080] Module class: X.Org Video Driver
[ 24.080] ABI class: X.Org Video Driver, version 18.0

compaired to what im loading :
[ 15.837] (II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers/ati_drv.so
[ 15.839] (II) Module ati: vendor="X.Org Foundation"
[ 15.839] compiled for 1.15.1, module version = 7.3.0
[ 15.839] Module class: X.Org Video Driver
[ 15.839] ABI class: X.Org Video Driver, version 15.0
[ 15.839] (II) LoadModule: "radeon"
[ 15.839] (II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers/radeon_drv.so
[ 15.852] (II) Module radeon: vendor="X.Org Foundation"
[ 15.852] compiled for 1.15.1, module version = 7.3.0
[ 15.852] Module class: X.Org Video Driver
[ 15.853] ABI class: X.Org Video Driver, version 15.0

so you are having a difference in the x11 environment, im having only libva-x11-1 1.6.0 from the ppa above and all the other x11 package are from ubuntu repo.
x11-common 1:7.7+1ubuntu8.1 and your running kernel : 3.16.0-41-generic
so i suggest try the following.

- upgrade the kernel to adviced version in the howto, first page on the bottem : kernel version 3.16.7-031607
or upgrade to an newer mainstream kernel, i suggest NOT 4.1, if your not good with linux. choose a 4.0 kernel or 3.19.

- check your x11 versions ( apt-cache policy x11-common )
and if needed, disable the ubuntu-updates and backportes repos and downgrade if needed some packages.

- other thing i experiance once, the vesa drivers in x11 ..
the fbdev and vesa driver in x11 make my kodi also slow.
so i uninstalled all xserver-xorg-video- drivers which i didnt need.
when i look with : dpkg -l | grep xserver-xorg-video
then this is my output, try removing all uneeded and restart kodi.

ii xserver-xorg-video-ati 1:7.3.0-1ubuntu3.1 amd64 X.Org X server -- AMD/ATI display driver wrapper
ii xserver-xorg-video-glamoregl 0.6.0-0ubuntu4 amd64 X.Org X server -- graphics acceleration module based on OpenGL
ii xserver-xorg-video-mach64 6.9.4-1build1 amd64 X.Org X server -- ATI Mach64 display driver
ii xserver-xorg-video-r128 6.9.2-1build1 amd64 X.Org X server -- ATI r128 display driver
ii xserver-xorg-video-radeon 1:7.3.0-1ubuntu3.1 amd64 X.Org X server -- AMD/ATI Radeon display driver

then the kernel to advice version in the first post.
and last the packages downgrade, which can be a bit harder to do, since i dont know whats more running..
one extra thing to mention, i rememeber something about a setting in kodi to disable extra monitor outputs.
with expert settings enable, system, video output.

im 100% sure 1 of above contains your solution, because i know your problem, i just dont remeber what exact was the fix, that was about 1 year ago..
and therefore try first disble the other video outputs and then with uninstalling unneeded xserver-xorg-video drivers which is the safest to do.
why would you need libva with radeon?
(2015-06-24, 08:06)wsnipex Wrote: why would you need libva with radeon?

the libva was installed as dependency of an other package so i just did leave it as is.
Hi guys. Thank you very much for your help.

Finally it works. It's strange what did the trick. I stopped running xrandr command on system start up to fix overscan and checked Blank other displays checkbox.

But it works and I'm happy Smile Thanks again.
Hi !
1st day with my new Kabini Box.
Tried Kodibuntu, had some issues, then tried this nice HowTo -exactly as it is written- (used latest trusty server.iso for installation).
I did not bother to edit the settings (part of step 2 in the HowTo) because kodi just won't run from the very beginning.
My box is not connected to a Monitor via HDMI but via DVI (I have to do the setup in a different location).

I read many posts of this thread, including the ones related to my issue (questions by m0nKeY answered by fritsch).
My issue is:
Kodi does not startup and complains that there is no openGL driver installed.
Because of the contents of the upstart script I realised I had to hook my box to a Display via HDMI which I did with the same result as before(!).
Probably You want to see logfiles for diagnosis, but before I post them I wanted to know if I have a general issue - maybe related to the Hardware (Kabini 5350 with R3 8400 APU).
I just tested the Box with OE 5.0.8 and everything seems to work fine.
I realized that OE uses a 3.17 Kernel while before I had 3.16.7 (this HowTo) and 3.13 (Kodibuntu).

One question: why do OE and Kodibuntu manage to display/run kodi without a HDMI connection and why is this obviously not possible with this "handmade" solution?

I want to add some additional server functions (e.g. time machine backups) to the ubuntu server which OE5 does not give me so easily, so I am interested in getting kodi running as described in this howto...
Yeah, before I even think of answering you - I need the logfiles from post 1.
not complete, but still something - I will fill up asap

dmesg: http://paste.ubuntu.com/11778651/
DISPLAY=:0 vdpauinfo had an empty file as a result
How about turning on the Display? To exactly see what additionally is not working?
It was turned on. The dmesg was recorded when it was connected via DVI.

As I mentioned, I tried several combinations:
DVI to DVI
HDMI to DVI (special cable)
HDMI via HDMI-hub to HDMI
HDMI directly to HDMI

The HDMi stuff was to a 65-inch screen.

I will try and get the Box attached to a proper TV via HDMI if that helps.
Upgrade the kernel if you don't get a picture at all. I thought you only get a problem when TV is off.
From the log, it rather seems you missed the step to reconfigure x11-common. The upstart log of the kodi job will tell more - but you need to post it.
  • 242(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Radeon OSS with vdpau (howto)26