• 31(current)
RaspBMC Kodi/XBMC test builds
Just switched to the latest version, and I wanted to use an external sound card - which is now recognized in the system settings. I even hear the GUI sounds, but I can't get any audio from any videos, no matter what the codec. Only DVDPlayer gives an audio output, but the sound is distorted and crackling, went through all the settings like channel settings and output configuration nothing works.

Guess I'm sticking to plain old PI analogue output for now. Sad
(2014-02-02, 19:53)WhACKO Wrote: Just switched to the latest version, and I wanted to use an external sound card - which is now recognized in the system settings. I even hear the GUI sounds, but I can't get any audio from any videos, no matter what the codec. Only DVDPlayer gives an audio output, but the sound is distorted and crackling, went through all the settings like channel settings and output configuration nothing works.

What is the sounds card?
You won't hear anything with omxplayer. That doesn't support ALSA.
In theory you should hear gui sounds, music (which uses paplayer) and video (when using dvdplayer).

But this is very experimental. Firstly do you normally get good audio from that soundcard (e.g. when using aplay or mplayer)?
What's the audio like when playing music?
How about playing a simple video (SD) file?
Posting an xbmc.log may indicate the problem.
Hey guys similar question:

I'm using alpha 12 and I'm not getting any analogue output whatsoever!
I changed the output device to analogue and left all the other audio settings default. I also rebooted after that but it's still giving audio through HDMI. (Unfortunately my TV doesn't have external audio output.)
(2014-02-02, 20:45)Robert-Jon Wrote: I'm using alpha 12 and I'm not getting any analogue output whatsoever!
I changed the output device to analogue and left all the other audio settings default. I also rebooted after that but it's still giving audio through HDMI. (Unfortunately my TV doesn't have external audio output.)

That was a problem in master tree some days back, but is fixed now.
Can you try a nightly (e.g. the builds this thread is about).
@Robert-Jon
I am assuming you mean alpha13?
There was a bug in Gotham where setting analogue was not possible unless you set dual audio (if I remember correct).
This was fixed very recently, if you use any of the builds here you need one of the latest 2 builds (again, if I remember correct).
Which version are you running?

Also, if you update from Frodo, delete guisettings.xml.
(2014-02-02, 19:58)popcornmix Wrote:
(2014-02-02, 19:53)WhACKO Wrote: Just switched to the latest version, and I wanted to use an external sound card - which is now recognized in the system settings. I even hear the GUI sounds, but I can't get any audio from any videos, no matter what the codec. Only DVDPlayer gives an audio output, but the sound is distorted and crackling, went through all the settings like channel settings and output configuration nothing works.

What is the sounds card?
You won't hear anything with omxplayer. That doesn't support ALSA.
In theory you should hear gui sounds, music (which uses paplayer) and video (when using dvdplayer).

But this is very experimental. Firstly do you normally get good audio from that soundcard (e.g. when using aplay or mplayer)?
What's the audio like when playing music?
How about playing a simple video (SD) file?
Posting an xbmc.log may indicate the problem.

Thanks for your reply. I did not know that omxplayer doesn't support alsa output. The usb sound card in question is Creative SoundBlaster X-FI PRO. Just tried playing some mp3s and there is sound but its distorted and crackling. There are some weird things happening when I change the number of channels and the output configuration. I'm also using the analogue output on the usb card.

Here's the xbmc.log file, please take a look when you have the time. http://pastebin.com/tVSUMt3X
(2014-02-02, 20:56)miappa Wrote: @Robert-Jon
I am assuming you mean alpha13?
There was a bug in Gotham where setting analogue was not possible unless you set dual audio (if I remember correct).
This was fixed very recently, if you use any of the builds here you need one of the latest 2 builds (again, if I remember correct).
Which version are you running?

Also, if you update from Frodo, delete guisettings.xml.

In system info it says: Raspbmc running XBMC 13.0-ALPHA12 - hence Alpha 12

I don't remember the date I updated this so I'm installing the latest build now!

Yep, that did the trick!
Audio does seem to be slightly lower? (Not a problem.)

This also fixed a problem where the time seemed to be one hour off.
Thanks!
(2014-02-02, 21:09)Robert-Jon Wrote: In system info it says: Raspbmc running XBMC 13.0-ALPHA12 - hence Alpha 12

Ah, of course, my bad... didn´t think that one through, thought you meant Frodo. :S
(2014-02-02, 21:02)WhACKO Wrote: Here's the xbmc.log file, please take a look when you have the time. http://pastebin.com/tVSUMt3X

Can you enable debug in system settings and grab another log. There's not much info in that one.
(2014-02-02, 21:27)popcornmix Wrote:
(2014-02-02, 21:02)WhACKO Wrote: Here's the xbmc.log file, please take a look when you have the time. http://pastebin.com/tVSUMt3X

Can you enable debug in system settings and grab another log. There's not much info in that one.

This should provide more information: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/3350757/xbmc.log

Also the crackling is constant, at first I suspected the power source but it's not that.
Can I ask what buildfs you use for these builds? The one linked to at http://www.raspbmc.com/wiki/technical/build-filesystem/ is beyond my ability to get working!
It would be really great if external soundcards would be working again.
I´ve spended a lot of time with trying
asked for help on different places
but nothing was helpful to get the problems solved
@Unfledged
It is that one, but I have updated it and "hacked" it several times, and I am right now using my own custom patches since several of the default ones are not working.
The one you linked to is not working at the moment, Sam will probably fix it soon.

@bylderup
Hopefully it will work at some point, afaik there are now several options, but everything is early in development and very experimental.
Edit: By the way, since you first posted here about USB audio, alsa has been enabled in these builds (PAPlayer and DVDPlayer).
This is not the same as the shipped version in Raspbmc though.
But you could try last build and see what happens.
Thanks. Guess I'll wait for it to be updated before I can check the crash on a more vanilla nightly Smile
@miappa, still crashing when deleting an episode from library but not removing physical file:

Using the xbmc-13-20140202-nc3

I opened a thread
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=185201

Can you reproduce? Don't know if is something with master or this builds.
Thanks!
  • 31(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
RaspBMC Kodi/XBMC test builds15