• 258(current)
Intel NUC - Haswell (4th Generation CPU)
(2015-11-10, 14:49)fritsch Wrote: Yes - always worked - but as OE5 was now a little old - it did not work there ... technically it's just TrueHD with some extra bits - that we skip ... so passthrough works correctly.

We still don't understand Atmos - we just skip the bits, in decoding case we decode the TrueHD track ... passthrough does Atmos.

Is there even a standard for PCM 7.1 carriage of Atmos-style audio if we could decode it upstream? Would there be amps that accepted it without having to fudge the speaker arrangement somehow?

Sure you could decode Atmos 7.1 (which is I think 5.1 with 2.0 Atmos channels) to 7.1 and say - use the side or rear surround channels as Atmos channels - but would an amp setup for Atmos cope with that? Or would you need to ignore Atmos configs?
has anyone managed to play any HEVC 4K demos?

I tried the below just get constant freezes, I am using the following build OpenELEC-Generic.x86_64-6.0.98-fritsch.img

Complete name : Q:\Video\HD\HD Demo & Tests\4K\WILDLIFE IN 4K (ULTRA HD) 60fps.mkv
Format : Matroska
Format version : Version 4 / Version 2
File size : 373 MiB
Duration : 3mn 27s
Overall bit rate mode : Variable
Overall bit rate : 15.1 Mbps
Writing application : Lavf55.33.100
Writing library : Lavf55.33.100

Video
ID : 1
Format : VP9
Codec ID : V_VP9
Bit rate : 14.6 Mbps
Width : 3 840 pixels
Height : 2 160 pixels
Display aspect ratio : 16:9
Frame rate mode : Variable
Default : Yes
Forced : No

Thanks
TV: Sony  65" A1E Surround: Yamaha RXA-3050 + ORB Audio Mod2 7.1.2 + SVS SB12-NSD Sub Processor: Darbee + DVDO iScan Mini Players: HDI Dune Solo4K + Apple TV4K + Vu+ Ultimo 4K NAS: Qnap TVS 871 Pro i7 16GB Ram 10GBe
(2015-11-05, 21:48)Matt Devo Wrote:
(2015-11-05, 19:23)a5ian300zx Wrote: Matt would you know of this build supports logitech wireless keyboard?

Thanks

I can't think of any reason why not, there's nothing special about them. Mine work just fine. The only difference in fritsch's Intel-EGL build is the rendering pipeline for Intel GPUs. Everything else is the same as the standard OE version. Just throw it on a USB stick and boot in live mode if you have questions about hardware support.

Hi Matt,

If you don't mind me asking which version of Fritsch build are you using?

Thanks
TV: Sony  65" A1E Surround: Yamaha RXA-3050 + ORB Audio Mod2 7.1.2 + SVS SB12-NSD Sub Processor: Darbee + DVDO iScan Mini Players: HDI Dune Solo4K + Apple TV4K + Vu+ Ultimo 4K NAS: Qnap TVS 871 Pro i7 16GB Ram 10GBe
OpenELEC 6.0.98-fritsch. You're not going to be able to play back 4K content unless it's h264 encoded. HEVC/VP9 aren't GPU/hardware decoded and can't be handled by your CPU
(2015-11-22, 21:33)Matt Devo Wrote: OpenELEC 6.0.98-fritsch. You're not going to be able to play back 4K content unless it's h264 encoded. HEVC/VP9 aren't GPU/hardware decoded and can't be handled by your CPU
Do you have Haswell nuc? Mine contrantly freezes with with fritsch version and even openelec gives me error about xorg server or something.

Thanks
(2015-11-23, 15:08)a5ian300zx Wrote: Do you have Haswell nuc? Mine contrantly freezes with with fritsch version and even openelec gives me error about xorg server or something.

Not currently, no, but the Haswell Celeron Chromeboxes I have are the same capability-wise
Hi !

Yesterday i tried watching Narcos in UHD, playback works fine...Kodi also shows (Image Background) that the file
is played in 3840x2160.

However if i look into the Source info on my AVR(Marantz AV8801) it shows that it recieves only 1080p (Image) and so does the TV

Anyone got a clue where the Problem is?
Upscaling to UHD via Marantz works without problem, the TV then also shows 2160p Input but i want native playback..

Next weird thing is that the AVR also tells me that Color Output of Nuc/Kodi is RGB 4:4:4,
shouldnt that be YcBcR 4:4:4 when using limited range option like i do..?

Oh and i´m running OpenELEC 6.0.100-fritsch

(2015-12-17, 09:18)gamble Wrote: Hi !

Yesterday i tried watching Narcos in UHD, playback works fine...Kodi also shows (Image Background) that the file
is played in 3840x2160.

no, it's showing you the resolution of the source file. To get 4K output from the NUC, you need to either explicit set it under Settings/System/Video Output, or have the system output as 1080p60 and have the Auto Adjust Refresh Rate option enabled under Settings/Video/Acceleration (and be running one of fritsch's EGL builds, which you are, though I don't see a 6.0.100 in his file list)
(2015-12-17, 09:52)Matt Devo Wrote: no, it's showing you the resolution of the source file. To get 4K output from the NUC, you need to either explicit set it under Settings/System/Video Output, or have the system output as 1080p60 and have the Auto Adjust Refresh Rate option enabled under Settings/Video/Acceleration (and be running one of fritsch's EGL builds, which you are, though I don't see a 6.0.100 in his file list)

Hm ok, i see now that its only showing the source resolution, thanks for that Smile

In System Settings i have set 1080p60 (i cant set it to 2160p, 1440p is the highest) and Auto Adjust RR is also enabled,
matching RR works flawless but it doesnt. change resolution :/

I had network problems before and fritsch made a build for me to try, thats why it isnt in the list...was just made for me i guess..
(2015-12-17, 10:07)gamble Wrote: Hm ok, i see now that its only showing the source resolution, thanks for that Smile

In System Settings i have set 1080p60 (i cant set it to 2160p, 1440p is the highest) and Auto Adjust RR is also enabled,
matching RR works flawless but it doesnt. change resolution :/

I had network problems before and fritsch made a build for me to try, thats why it isnt in the list...was just made for me i guess..

I believe that it will switch to 2160p24/30 only if the source is 1080p24/30 and 2160p is detected as a valid resolution for your setup - which based on it not being available under video output, means that its not being properly reported via EDID from your TV/AVR. Would likely need your xrandr output to determine the issue, but I think you'll be best served posting in the EGL thread under the Linux/Live support subforum.
How can i get Xrandr output ?
Is there a ssh command which i can try to see the EDID which comes from my AVR (The AVR clearly sees that the TV is UHD-able) ?
Any clue on the color room issue ?

Dont want to post in the EGL Thread, my noobness in this cases has driven fritsch crazy often enough since most of
the time my biggest problem is that im not even able to actually USE the tips or hints i get Sad

edit.

Fritsch helped me out again, seems my AVR is the problem, when connecting the NUC directly to the TV i get UHD Output.
(2015-12-17, 09:18)gamble Wrote: Hi !

is played in 3840x2160.

However if i look into the Source info on my AVR(Marantz AV8801) it shows that it recieves only 1080p (Image) and so does the TV

Anyone got a clue where the Problem is?
Upscaling to UHD via Marantz works without problem, the TV then also shows 2160p Input but i want native playback..

Next weird thing is that the AVR also tells me that Color Output of Nuc/Kodi is RGB 4:4:4,
shouldnt that be YcBcR 4:4:4 when using limited range option like i do..?

Oh and i´m running OpenELEC 6.0.100-fritsch

Are you using hdmi output from the nuc? According page 22 of the nuc specifications technical product 4k is only supported through mini displayport.

See page 22 : the mini hdmi supported resolution is 1920 x 1200
The maximum resolution for mini displayport is 3840 x2160
Yes, i do use the mini HDMI Output from the nuc and if i connect it directly to my TV Kodi switches to 4K without problem.
Only thing NOT working is 4K Output when connected trough my Marantz AVR, then the Marantz tells the NUC via EDID
that UHD is NOT an available resolution..

edit.
I am one step further now.

If i activate the scaler in the Marantz and force it to upscale ALL inputs to 4K it works, 4K resolution gets available in the EDID
and passed trough as the marantz does no altering to the image if 4K is input..

So what is the problem now u may ask...only downside now is that ALL stuff get upscaled to 2160p..1080p movies, 720p tv shows etc.
i still can not just pass-trough the original signal Sad

But thats no big deal, for now i even set Kodi GUI to 2160p, thumbs never looked better..thats a night and day difference Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin
Seems like Kodi now also scales everything to 4K if my Marantz is telling the truth in HDMI-INFO Screen...i think i remember someone say that KODI does an awful job at scaling
but while comparing to the marantz and sony scaler i see no major differences...in the few minutes i watched i even have to say that i liked Kodis scaling best (just watched a few minutes of the new Robocop..)
GREAT product! Big Grin
Guys, I have NUC2820 running latest Openelec 6.0.3 and Kodi.
I was disappointed when playing H265 video in just FullHD as it was not smooth. Sometimes even not usable at all. Seems that there is not enough computing power or something is not optimally configured from my side. Could you please help me address that?
I don't need 4K, FullHD is fine. Data comes from NAS, audio is "passed through" to AVR. 4GB RAM installed. Is in theory 2820 powerful enough for H265 HEVC or is it not?
  • 258(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Intel NUC - Haswell (4th Generation CPU)7