• 44(current)
[RELEASE] NetfliXBMC - Unofficial Netflix Add-on (Win/OSX/Linux)
I'm using Windows 8.1 here. For me it just worked - I had a clean install of Windows 8.1, applied all the Windows updates, installed xbmc 13, and Chrome and then the netflixbmc plugin. I have the "disable chrome kiosk mode" or whatever it is labelled turned off (i.e. Chrome kiosk mode is enabled) and it just works - it launches full screen and I can skip forward/back and pause/unpause. I have the Netflix settings set to "highest" for quality, and it streams great on my i5 NUC.

(2014-05-21, 15:09)rikoe Wrote:
(2014-05-21, 14:12)damonbrodie Wrote: I've switched to Chrome, for some reason that works with keyboard bindings. I've only got play/pause mapped to spacebar and skip forward/back mapped to right/left direction keys and it works pretty well.

I've since deduced that NetflixXBMC is *supposed* to launch Chrome directly in fullscreen as well (like it does with IE 11 for me), but I've read anecdotally online that kiosk mode is not working properly in Chrome under Windows 8/8.1. Anyone running Windows 8 with XBMC and NetfliXBMC that have seen a similar issue and have managed to fix it?

I'll be happy to use Chrome with NetfliXBMC as well (since the keyboard bindings work) if I can get the kiosk mode to work. Although I am still holding out hope that the IE11 HTML 5 stream on Windows 8.1 can stream proper 1080p content instead of 720p like the Silverlight plugin...
(2014-05-21, 15:14)damonbrodie Wrote: I'm using Windows 8.1 here. For me it just worked - I had a clean install of Windows 8.1, applied all the Windows updates, installed xbmc 13, and Chrome and then the netflixbmc plugin. I have the "disable chrome kiosk mode" or whatever it is labelled turned off (i.e. Chrome kiosk mode is enabled) and it just works - it launches full screen and I can skip forward/back and pause/unpause. I have the Netflix settings set to "highest" for quality, and it streams great on my i5 NUC.

Thanks damonbrodie, I've just done a bit more digging and I think I've figured out what happened (I am not at home right now, so I can't confirm, but I've just tested the same thing on my work PC and it behaved the same way).

It has nothing to do with the version of Windows, rather whether you already have Chrome open or not. By default, it will just add a tab to your existing chrome instance if there is already one open, even if you specify the --kiosk flag. I had some Chrome tabs already open last night when I tested NetfliXBMC, so that must have been what's happened.

According to this post, you can override this behaviour by passing --user-data-dir=$(mktemp -d) on the command line as well, which will run a new chrome session as if for a different user.

The only thing then is one would ideally want to record and delete that temporary folder after closing the browser, or alternatively re-use a known NetfliXBMC user folder for every run.
(2014-05-13, 22:02)wishmaster84 Wrote:
(2014-05-08, 16:04)ilomambo Wrote: The "TV Shows" shows an empty page with only "Next Page".

Also when browsing "Genres" and reached the (I assume) last page, pressing "Next Page" will repeat the last page. I would expect either a message saying there are no more items to show, or to loop back to page 1.

Also, in "Recently viewed" when selecting a TV show episode it plays the same episode again. I would expect either to open the TV show netflix page to choose another episode or to play the next episode after the watched one.

Otherwise excellent addon!

I'm having the same issue. The earlier mentioned fix using the match3 is working for me but I can't go to the next page. In the Just For Kids genre this is working. Does anybody have a fix for this? Last thing and then it's perfect!

Looks like Netflix changed their internal genres a bit and everything is working perfectly now even the next page option. So thanks for this great addon!!
(2014-05-05, 08:37)teeedubb Wrote: Latest version of chrome has broken pipelight

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+sourc...ug/1307989

Definitely appears broken with Chrome. Is there any way of getting this AddOn to work with a different browser? Currently I can use Pipelight / Firefox to play Netflix just fine.
(2014-05-22, 09:58)wishmaster84 Wrote: Looks like Netflix changed their internal genres a bit and everything is working perfectly now even the next page option. So thanks for this great addon!!

Still not working here. TV Shows is still empty.
Maybe it has to do with the country you are logging in from. (UK here)

(EDIT) Addition:
Each one of the genres in the Genres window is also empty. They might have been so before, but I just found out when I went to look for a comedy.
Thanks for all the work on the Plugin.

But i have an issue with it. It is about the used python version.

I'm from Germany, so i use a DNS-Proxy to access Netflix(https://github.com/trick77/tunlr-style-dns-unblocking/)

On my Laptop this works like a charm. BUT... The python version (python 2.7) your addon depends on, does not support SNI, so it fails with unexpected EOF in
Code:
content = opener.open("http://movies.netflix.com/Login").read()

i tested this, it is about the sni stuff, which urllib2 does not support. Python3 supports it, i also read about a patch for python 2.6.

So, is there any chance you will port your plugin to support python3? or does anyone have an idea?

I have to use SNI because the server does have a limited data-plan, and a real server with "unlimited" dataplan would be too expensive in addition with the netflix fees

Regards
TimmeeY
(2014-05-24, 12:13)Timmeey Wrote: Thanks for all the work on the Plugin.

But i have an issue with it. It is about the used python version.

I'm from Germany, so i use a DNS-Proxy to access Netflix(https://github.com/trick77/tunlr-style-dns-unblocking/)

On my Laptop this works like a charm. BUT... The python version (python 2.7) your addon depends on, does not support SNI, so it fails with unexpected EOF in
Code:
content = opener.open("http://movies.netflix.com/Login").read()

i tested this, it is about the sni stuff, which urllib2 does not support. Python3 supports it, i also read about a patch for python 2.6.

So, is there any chance you will port your plugin to support python3? or does anyone have an idea?

I have to use SNI because the server does have a limited data-plan, and a real server with "unlimited" dataplan would be too expensive in addition with the netflix fees

Regards
TimmeeY

I use a dns based proxy and the only way I can get this script to work is to remove the "Login" from the URL. Give it a try, might work for you.
(2014-05-24, 22:36)fillerguy Wrote: I use a dns based proxy and the only way I can get this script to work is to remove the "Login" from the URL. Give it a try, might work for you.

Didn't help :-( but thank you.
I had a few issues with the installation of NetfliXBMC/pipelight/ChromeLauncher on Ubuntu 12.10, and thought I'd post what finally worked here:

1) Versions of Chrome newer than 34 apparently do not work with pipelight. There are no old version of Chrome that I could find, so I had to install the Chromium Browser 34.0 and that works fine. Apparently, google has restricted some of the calls that were used, and newer Chrome versions will not show the plugin (no matter what you do). This means that you are supposed to be able to edit ChromeLauncher in XBMC with a script to invoke Chromium, but that didn't work at all (see #2 below)

2) ChromeLauncher in XBMC appears to have a section where you can setup a script to launch another browser, but I tried for 5 hours to use the sh script provided elsewhere in this forum, but I constantly received permission denied errors. I tried every conceivable thing to fix these permission denied errors, but there was just no way to get the sh script to not give the error. I finally got success after editing ~/.xbmc/addons/plugin.program.chrome.launcher/default.py and I changed the "path=/usr/bin/google-chrome line to:

elif osLinux:
path = "/usr/bin/chromium-browser"

3) On one of my 3 PCs, the Chromium or Firefox window would just show a garbage image, but perfect audio. The other 2 PCs had video and audio from the installation just fine. It states this issue has been fixed, but I was able to fix this by copying the config to ~/.config/pipelight and changing the value "embed=true" to "embed=false". This totally fixed it where video and audio now show on this one PC, and thankfully a 2nd window is not opened when I'm viewing from NetfliXBMC/ChromeLauncher. I'm using gnome BTW on all 3 PCs.

LAST ISSUE IS NOT RESOLVED: I have perfect video in MythTV and perfect video throughout XBMC, but when using NetfliXBMC (or Firefox or Chromium), I get horizontal tearing of the video. I do have v-sync enabled in nvidia, I've checked compiz has "undirect fullscreen window" checked, I've doubled the refresh rate in compiz to 120, I've downgraded to the same nVidia drivers 304 that my other PCs use, and I've tried just about everything I can find on the web, but still horizontal tearing in the pipelight video.

I'm totally at wits end on getting rid of the horizontal tearing in the video. I'm running 1080i, fullscreen, etc. If anyone has any thoughts, I'd appreciate any suggestions.
(2014-05-24, 10:33)ilomambo Wrote:
(2014-05-22, 09:58)wishmaster84 Wrote: Looks like Netflix changed their internal genres a bit and everything is working perfectly now even the next page option. So thanks for this great addon!!

(EDIT) Addition:
Each one of the genres in the Genres window is also empty. They might have been so before, but I just found out when I went to look for a comedy.

Same issue here. Using netflix canada though...not sure if that has anything to do with it. "Latest", "HD Only", "Search" and "Just For Kids" appear to work great. Genres, and Documentaries show menus, but all are empty. TV Shows is immediately empty.
Thanks for this Add-on. Running clean install of XBMCbuntu 13.0. Had issues with the stock chromium do to the pipelight issue. Purged the installed version and loaded v31 from downloaded deb. Then just had to figure out the Nvidia sound over hdmi in lubuntu. Works much better than my old setup with advanced launcher, user agent switcher, pipelight, and firefox. Love the My List. Now if I could figure out how to load the Alt+F4 combo on my Harmony 550 and get the mouse cursor to disappear, I would not need my bluetooth keyboard/mouse.
Sad 
The current builds of Chrome and Chromium no longer support Mozilla style plugins. The Linux version of this most excellent add-on relies exclusively on Chrome. Currently this add-on is unusable on a Linux system using a current version of Chrome or Chromium.

Are there plans to either run Pipelight fullscreen without using Chrome or to allow the usage of Firefox with it? I realize there are bugs when using it with FF, but some or occasional functionality would be better than no functionality, IMHO.

I'd love to hear what other folk think on this matter.

~~Douglas
Hi there,

Thanks for the add-on, yet another nail in the coffin of old fashioned media and proof that yet again, open source projects can often do more than pay-for companies will attempt.

Now, I'm in the UK, running a non-DNS'd version of Netflix (i.e. I'm using the UK Library), I'm on Linux Ubuntu 14.04, installed pipelight as directed and Chrome, all very happily.

I have entered my username and password correctly (I checked), and selected 'more than one user' because my wife and I have rather different tastes in TV Shows.

When clicking on the add on, a window comes up asking who's watching and that's about all that happens. I can press escape and it will show me the tree structure of Netflix, completely unpopulated. My guess is that my system has not connected to Netflix properly. Any thoughts on what I should do?##

THanks

Nick
(2014-06-01, 01:12)nickcowan Wrote: Hi there,

Thanks for the add-on, yet another nail in the coffin of old fashioned media and proof that yet again, open source projects can often do more than pay-for companies will attempt.

Now, I'm in the UK, running a non-DNS'd version of Netflix (i.e. I'm using the UK Library), I'm on Linux Ubuntu 14.04, installed pipelight as directed and Chrome, all very happily.

I have entered my username and password correctly (I checked), and selected 'more than one user' because my wife and I have rather different tastes in TV Shows.

When clicking on the add on, a window comes up asking who's watching and that's about all that happens. I can press escape and it will show me the tree structure of Netflix, completely unpopulated. My guess is that my system has not connected to Netflix properly. Any thoughts on what I should do?##

THanks

Nick

I'd agree wholeheartedly, if I could just get Steam OS support.
(2014-05-28, 02:55)GoodCode Wrote:
(2014-05-24, 10:33)ilomambo Wrote:

(EDIT) Addition:

Same issue here. Using netflix canada though...not sure if that has anything to do with it. "Latest", "HD Only", "Search" and "Just For Kids" appear to work great. Genres, and Documentaries show menus, but all are empty. TV Shows is immediately empty.

Me to, only my lists and latest seems to work, the rest are empty pages with only next page klikable.
SONY STR-DH820 | SONY SA-VE705 | Intel® Core™2 Quad Processor Q8400, ASUS P5QD Turbo, SAMSUNG SH-B123L Blu-Ray Combo, ZALMAN HD503 | PANASONIC TX-P42U10E
  • 44(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[RELEASE] NetfliXBMC - Unofficial Netflix Add-on (Win/OSX/Linux)7