• 5(current)
Release Video Explorer 3.0.0.61: Critical Bug Fixes
This is one cool piece of software! Some features here were much sought after.

One question: can there be more file extensions added? mpg, ts, tp, vob... I'm using Video Explorer to remux a lot of various files - not movies or series - to mkv, and this will help a lot.

Many thanks for creating this. Huge time saver.
@Daydream:

Thanks.

I can add more extensions, no problem.

Give me the list of extensions you need and I'll take a look.

Also look out for the next major release of this app. I've just finished it and will be releasing it very soon and it is a big update with serious performance and stability improvements.

The reason the list of file types is not configurable is that some types of files simply will not work given what VE does and how it does it, so making that list configurable could lead to people introducing all kinds of strange file types that are fundamentally incompatible and WILL crash the app.

If you give me a specific list I will test those types pre-release.
Video Explorer v3 is finally ready for release.

This is a major rewrite of all the core functionality with some serious performance and UI enhancements.

1. The file filter on the right will now instantly filter what is on-screen, in memory.

2. The file search is now much faster and the app will cache the location of every media file it finds so that in-memory filtering is incredibly fast.

3. The UI is now robust and has been tested a lot and attention has been given to even the smallest details.

4. The app now has a proper main menu and several menu items that were previously only accessible via the right click menu on the main grid have now been moved to the main menu.

5. In line with point 4. above, the right click menu is now more streamlined and only contains options relevant to the item you've clicked on.

6. The UI is now always responsive and never locks up, no matter the app is busy doing.

7. The app now gives far better feedback when it's busy doing things and controls that should not be enabled while it's busy are no longer enabled.

There have also been many, many small enhancements and improvements all over the place, in general.

This is a major improvement and a big step forward from v2.

Go get it now !
NOTE: About warnings you might get when you download my installer.

I've noticed that the latest version of Chrome and IE are now complaining about my installer exe and claiming that it's unsafe, potentially malicious etc.

I can assure you that it is NOT malicious or unsafe and is NOT infected with any malware or viruses.

I think the issue is something to do with checks for signing of the installer exe itself and I'm looking into it now.

The actual app binaries are all signed by me and are safe, I promise you.

Allan
I have confirmed that the new over the top warning that Chrome throws up when you download my installer is due to some new kind of checks that Chrome is doing that have been introduced in the latest versions of Chrome.

I'm still not sure exactly what the issue is but it seems be related to the domain hosting my files more than anything else.

I don't have any immediate fix for that and the warning the Chrome gives really does seem to be unnecessarily aggressive and extreme.

Bottom line: There is NOTHING wrong with my installer and it is not malicious at all. It is perfectly safe to install Video Explorer.

If you are still concerned, scan the installer with your own anti-malware and anti-virus software before installing and verify that it's clean.

Thanks

Allan
It seems that any NFO file containing an apostroph in the title generates an error. Here is the log:

PHP Code:
2014-03-26 11:25:19.9031 INFOCleared the object cache
-03-26 11:25:19.9601 INFOCleared the thumbnail cache
-03-26 11:25:20.0901 INFOVideo Explorer session started
-03-26 11:27:39.1250 ERRORHelpers.LoadMovieInfoAsync :: Attempt to reload metadata from NFO file failed.
ErrorNFO file content is invalidY:\Films\Québécois\L'Affaire Dumont.nfo
2014-03-26 11:27:45.8484 - ERROR: Helpers.LoadMovieInfoAsync :: Attempt to reload metadata from NFO file failed.
Error: NFO file content is invalid: Y:\Films\Québécois\Inch'
allah.nfo 
@LEDFan: Interesting, I will take a look at that.

My errors I'm logging there are specifically indicating that the problem is with the file content though, which would seem to indicate that it's not the file names that are the problem.

Can you post the contents of those files please ?
What do you mean by content? Do you want the content of the NFO file?
Yes please. If you could just paste the contents of those 2 nfo files here that would help me.
Oh, forget about it, I found the problem, you were right. There was an error in the NFO under country. It loads OK now. So, there was no bug at all. Thanks for helping me finding this.

BTW: Covertart does not work for me since I keep all my movies in the same folder. Your program follow the XBMC naming standards, I understand that but using files with prefixes, it's no used for me, since it always shows the same thumbnails, etc..
NOTE: 32 bit Windows errors

I've picked up an issue with 32 bit windows throwing BadImageFormatException errors because the version of the MediaInfo DLL that I'm shipping with VideoExplorer is a 64 bit build.

Sorry about that but I haven't worked on a 32 bit OS for so long that I actually almost forgot they existed anymore.

I will need to provide a 32 bit specific build with 32 bit dependency libraries.

I will look at that shortly.

Allan

NOTE: Errors when attempting to load certain movies because of issues with artwork that cause a Generic GDI+ error.

This has also just come to my attention and seems to be related to certain poster and fanart images that are either encoded in strange and non standard way or are actually corrupt.

I will need to improve the explicit error handling currently wrapped around the code that handles the loading of images and saving of thumbnails.

I never encountered this in my testing at all so this is new to me and I will try to reproduce it and make VideoExplorer handle it more gracefully asap.

@LEDFan:

I'm glad you found the problem with the nfo files.

As far as the artwork goes, I think I need to look at the order I search for artwork file names and rather look for the artwork that has the movie names first.

Can you please give me some examples of how your artwork is named right now. Just a few samples file names will do. Both posters and fanart.

I will modify VideoExplorer to look for the more specific names first and then the more generic names.
v3.0.0.18 released

This is a small update to enhance the exception error catching and publishing to hopefully help me to track down GDI+ errors that some users are experiencing.
(2014-03-26, 18:12)SiliconKid Wrote: @LEDFan:
As far as the artwork goes, I think I need to look at the order I search for artwork file names and rather look for the artwork that has the movie names first.

Can you please give me some examples of how your artwork is named right now. Just a few samples file names will do. Both posters and fanart.

I will modify VideoExplorer to look for the more specific names first and then the more generic names.

That's kind from you to add such options.

Here is an example for a movie in a same directory:
Sleeping Beauty.avi
Sleeping Beauty.nfo
Sleeping Beauty-banner.jpg
Sleeping Beauty-clearart.png
Sleeping Beauty-clearlogo.png
Sleeping Beauty-discart.png
Sleeping Beauty-fanart.jpg
Sleeping Beauty-landscape.jpg
Sleeping Beauty-logo.png
Sleeping Beauty-poster.jpg
Sleeping Beauty-thumb.jpg
@LEDFan:

Thanks, that's in line with the format I already support, I just need to change the order of priority when I search for the images.

I will release an update shortly.
v3.0.0.19 released - 27/03/2014
-------------------------------------------

1. Slightly relaxed the check condition that is used to determine if a movie is a valid format or not.

If the Format string is null or empty the movie will now still load.

2. Updated the Poster and Fanart find and load logic to give preference to posters and fanart that are explicitly named to match a movie file name.

This will mean that if lots of movies are in the same folder, all with their own artwork, the correct artwork should now load for each movie.
  • 5(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Video Explorer 3.0.0.61: Critical Bug Fixes1