• 2(current)
Video of my ambient lighting setup
Unfortunately the video doesn't work in Australia, blocked by emi Sad any chance you can post it elsewhere or send a link? ProjectM + boblight is my favorite part of my boblight set up and I'd love to see it with MilkDrop 2.

Also I've never heard of the ambibox software, I've been using prismatik in windows without much success, but after a quick read up on it I think it should work with my teensy v2 with Adalight code. Does it work with out xbmc running and have you tried it with full screen directX games?
(2014-01-23, 01:12)teeedubb Wrote: Unfortunately the video doesn't work in Australia, blocked by emi Sad any chance you can post it elsewhere or send a link? ProjectM + boblight is my favorite part of my boblight set up and I'd love to see it with MilkDrop 2.

Also I've never heard of the ambibox software, I've been using prismatik in windows without much success, but after a quick read up on it I think it should work with my teensy v2 with Adalight code. Does it work with out xbmc running and have you tried it with full screen directX games?

I PM'd you. It works well with XBMC, but I use the DirectShow Capture Mode with XBMC running a fullscreen window. I don't game on this machine, so I'm not sure.

(2014-01-23, 00:35)puttepep Wrote: Thank you for the information KenV99!
I have ordered pieces and is planning on building something similar to what you have done. Would you mind posting a picture how you hooked up the LED with magnets and how you handled the corners without cutting the LED in different parts? I was planning on buying heat resistant 3M tape but magnets would probably be better.

Thanks in advance!

It's kinda imprecise:

Sorry for the bad pic. That's a difficult spot to take a pic of. The ones on the bottom have a twisty tie to keep them there.
I had briefly looked into ambient lighting, but never really got into the details of it. However, you've been extremely supportive in helping others, so I may have to actually look into it myself. Your guide/links will be very handy in the event I do.
(2014-01-23, 04:28)outtamyway24 Wrote: I had briefly looked into ambient lighting, but never really got into the details of it. However, you've been extremely supportive in helping others, so I may have to actually look into it myself. Your guide/links will be very handy in the event I do.

I have to say that I was a bit intimidated myself in the beginning, but sometimes I like a challenge. In the end, this was less than a challenge. Having read up ahead of time, once I had the Arduino and strips, it took 30 min of labor and 30 min with the software to get it up and running, so not much of a challenge. BUT, then I decided I wanted to contribute so I learned Python and helped write the next version of the XBMC script that runs the lights...

Anyway, I'm happy to help anyone that decides to go down this route. I'm, by no means an expert yet, but I'm glad to do what I can.
(2014-01-23, 02:57)KenV99 Wrote: I PM'd you. It works well with XBMC, but I use the DirectShow Capture Mode with XBMC running a fullscreen window. I don't game on this machine, so I'm not sure.

Thanks for the link, your setup looks good. I like the extra space behind the tv, it gives the light more volume and smooths out the colours. Milkdrop is cool too, I think Ive got visualisation envy Big Grin
I am thinking of this kind of magnet to fasten the LED stripe, http://www.amazon.co.uk/DRAPER-MAGNETIC-...B00862XX8K or perhaps the http://www.ebay.com/itm/Magnetic-Fastner...2a2d5bfb74 But then shipping becomes just as expensive as the actual product.
The first link to amazon doesn't work, at least here in the US. And I agree, the second is pretty expensive.

What about these with some twisty ties? http://www.amazon.co.uk/Silverline-Tools...etic+hooks
(2014-01-24, 00:12)KenV99 Wrote: The first link to amazon doesn't work, at least here in the US. And I agree, the second is pretty expensive.
you need to take the comma out of the end of the url.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
(2014-01-24, 00:47)nickr Wrote:
(2014-01-24, 00:12)KenV99 Wrote: The first link to amazon doesn't work, at least here in the US. And I agree, the second is pretty expensive.
you need to take the comma out of the end of the url.
Thanks, I removed it.

Regarding the magnets with hooks, I think I would like to have the LED stripe more tightly fixed to the TV rather than just hang it from the hooks. Just checked pricing online for heat resistant 3M velcro tape, turns out it's 5 times more expensive here in Sweden than in the US.... =/
Plain old double sided tape (3m or scotch brand, I dont remember exactly, I got it from a supermarket) has held up the led strips for over a year now on the back of a plasma tv.

Kev99, thanks for posting about your setup, Ive finally got the back lighting to work with full screen 3d games in windows by using ambibox. Smile
(2014-01-24, 23:51)teeedubb Wrote: Plain old double sided tape (3m or scotch brand, I dont remember exactly, I got it from a supermarket) has held up the led strips for over a year now on the back of a plasma tv.

Kev99, thanks for posting about your setup, Ive finally got the back lighting to work with full screen 3d games in windows by using ambibox. Smile

I'm glad you have it working. Are you using PlayClaw?

The strips I have actually come with an adhesive backing with a peel-away covering. But given the geometry, I wanted the LED's to face directly to the side, rather than straight back, so that's why I went with the hooks. A lot of people with the individual bulbs, instead of strips, have mounted them on frames that get attached to the back of the tv to keep them oriented out. For me, I wanted a way to get them mounted that didn't involve taking the TV down since it's 112 lb's of awkwardness.
(2014-01-25, 00:04)KenV99 Wrote: I'm glad you have it working. Are you using PlayClaw?

The strips I have actually come with an adhesive backing with a peel-away covering. But given the geometry, I wanted the LED's to face directly to the side, rather than straight back, so that's why I went with the hooks. A lot of people with the individual bulbs, instead of strips, have mounted them on frames that get attached to the back of the tv to keep them oriented out. For me, I wanted a way to get them mounted that didn't involve taking the TV down since it's 112 lb's of awkwardness.

Yeah using PlayClaw. It still needs some tweaking but its the best Ive had it so far in windows.

My ws2801 leds didnt come with the adhesive backing, they were different to the other types of led strips ive seen as the led strip was inside a rectangular soft rubber casing. I placed them facing back from the tv because it was the easiest route, placing them facing out would have required a frame or placing them on the outer edge of the tv(I never thought of doing something like you did). After watching your video though I wonder if having them facing out would make a difference with my setup (a wall mounted tv) and diffusing the colours a bit - a minor gripe that I have is that in some scenes its too colourful, eg the other night there was a scene in modern family and on the bottom of the tv there was a distinct section of aprrox 20cm length of green, then a section of red, then green, then yellow etc.. its kind of distracting. But Im in the same boat as you, tv is over 40kg so its not going to be changed any time soon (last time the wife and I took it off to rewire after buying a avr almost ended in divorce and a broken tv hehe).
I had originally envisaged the light strip lying flat against the back of the TV, shining backwards and reflecting off the wall. Pointing how you have them makes more sense and makes it much simpler to turn the corners. The hooks could leave it all a bit loose, and I will explore some gentle tensioning, perhaps with some sewing elastic.

Anyway I have ordered my lights, how long did it take for yours to turn up?
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
Thought this was cool but I just watched the video and realized the light show can be directly correlated to the music....

Damn, I already used to throw bangin parties, and I'd always have either music vids or a crazy visualizer on my 70 inch TV, but having the LED light show to go with would have been cool. Wish I had thought of that, I'm now very interested in getting one of these set up.
(2014-01-25, 00:30)teeedubb Wrote: Yeah using PlayClaw. It still needs some tweaking but its the best Ive had it so far in windows.

My ws2801 leds didnt come with the adhesive backing, they were different to the other types of led strips ive seen as the led strip was inside a rectangular soft rubber casing. I placed them facing back from the tv because it was the easiest route, placing them facing out would have required a frame or placing them on the outer edge of the tv(I never thought of doing something like you did). After watching your video though I wonder if having them facing out would make a difference with my setup (a wall mounted tv) and diffusing the colours a bit - a minor gripe that I have is that in some scenes its too colourful, eg the other night there was a scene in modern family and on the bottom of the tv there was a distinct section of aprrox 20cm length of green, then a section of red, then green, then yellow etc.. its kind of distracting. But Im in the same boat as you, tv is over 40kg so its not going to be changed any time soon (last time the wife and I took it off to rewire after buying a avr almost ended in divorce and a broken tv hehe).

I agree that in certain scenes, the LED's can be distracting, but, for me, some of it was the novelty. I couldn't even approach the wife for help with this kind of thing :/

(2014-01-25, 00:37)nickr Wrote: I had originally envisaged the light strip lying flat against the back of the TV, shining backwards and reflecting off the wall. Pointing how you have them makes more sense and makes it much simpler to turn the corners. The hooks could leave it all a bit loose, and I will explore some gentle tensioning, perhaps with some sewing elastic.

Anyway I have ordered my lights, how long did it take for yours to turn up?

14 days and that was over the Christmas holiday.

(2014-01-25, 00:57)tential Wrote: Thought this was cool but I just watched the video and realized the light show can be directly correlated to the music....

Damn, I already used to throw bangin parties, and I'd always have either music vids or a crazy visualizer on my 70 inch TV, but having the LED light show to go with would have been cool. Wish I had thought of that, I'm now very interested in getting one of these set up.

Yeah, all of my friends want me to throw a 'rave' type party. Thankfully most of them are all Mars fans like me. People are just going nuts with all of the publicity that Jared is getting with his awards for Dallas Buyers Club.
  • 2(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Video of my ambient lighting setup0