• 11(current)
Video of my ambient lighting setup
Looks very nice :-)
Very nice Big Grin
This looks interesting:

http://lightberry.eu/
Hi, really like your setup. Got an ambilight system myself. I built it with a raspberry pi and am using hyperion as ambilight software. However if I might suggest some simple improvements: I would get rid of the back wall of your cupboard and mount the tv directly on the wall. Would look a lot better and your ambilight will have more accurate colors, since the wall is rather white instead of wood colored. Also you should increase the distance between your front speakers. You will have a much better "stage" when listening to stereo music for example. Because right now it looks like you are sitting quite far away for the distance between your speakers.
Anyway I like it.
(2015-07-14, 02:46)Doc.Ex Wrote: Hi, really like your setup. Got an ambilight system myself. I built it with a raspberry pi and am using hyperion as ambilight software. However if I can suggest some simple improvements: I would get rid of the back wall of your cupboard and mount the tv directly on the wall. Would look a lot better and your ambilight will have more accurate colors, since the wall is rather white instead of wood colored. Also you should increase the distance between your front speakers. You will have a much better "stage" when listening to stereo music for example. Because right now it looks like you are sitting quite far away for the distance between your speakers.
Anyway I like it.

Thanks for the feedback. Because of room constraints that you can't see in the video I can't put the speakers any further away. As far as the TV and the wall, I get what you're saying but since that's not a dedicated home theater room, I had to make some aesthetic compromises long before I started hooking up LEDs Wink
(2015-07-13, 16:46)KenV99 Wrote: This looks interesting:

http://lightberry.eu/

Finally someone has created a unit that works with a HDMI signal! And it's reasonably priced. I wonder if it works with existing led setups and what configuration options are available. I might be able to get boblight working reliably imnwindows with games and emulators.
Could be wrong, but it seems to me it also use an hdmi converter as other products of its kind.
Well yes, you need to convert the HDMI signal to something else...
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
So after researching this a bit, it seems that you don't really need a kit. Here's what I've discovered:

You use hyperion software on the Rpi to drive the LEDs directly from the GPIO header. And the kit doesn't include the Rpi.I thought of running hyperion in a VM on my HTPC but figuring out how to then configure the output to go to my arduino is beyond me. If anyone knows how to do this, please chime in.

The strips they sell are WS2801 ones, but one needs to be careful with the connections as these strips don't have the pins in the same position from one vendor to the next.
So if you have these already, you are good to go.

You can use any old HDMI splitter so long as it is HDCP compliant so that at least to your display, the HDCP chain isn't broken.
But what happens when you feed HDCP content to the converter and stick is unclear and the owner of Lightberry has dodged that question when I asked. Given that the output is downsampled, I have hopes that it still works. But who knows?

There are many converters out there and the one they show in their kits seems to be generic and sold under many different brands. This one is different from the kit, but seems to be the best reviewed one on Amazon, as far as I can tell:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009CL8...WH8WVAZJNW

The capture stick 'EasyCap' comes in many different flavors and clones and only certain ones are supported in Linux (OpenELEC).
Amazon sells dozens of these EasyCap sticks and which chipset is in it is not specified so ymmv.
I found one of the supported ones on AliExpress and the chipset is specified: http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/...56010.html

I may try putting this together myself without the kit soon. It would make the ambient lighting so much more useful because I would be able to use it for all my other content sources besides XBMC.
I built mine with the same components lightberry uses. There are plenty of tutorials. I run Kodi on the Pi as well, on OpenELEC. There is a OpenELEC version from .bismarck that includes a CEC Patch and a script that switches the Ambilight input automatically when the source on the TV is changed. The tutorial however is in german. I don't know whether there is an english one somewhere as well but here is the link.
(2015-07-14, 18:09)Doc.Ex Wrote: I built mine with the same components lightberry uses. There are plenty of tutorials. I run Kodi on the Pi as well, on OpenELEC. There is a OpenELEC version from .bismarck that includes a CEC Patch and a script that switches the Ambilight input automatically when the source on the TV is changed. The tutorial however is in german. I don't know whether there is an english one somewhere as well but here is the link.

Thanks. Using Google's translate, I can pretty much read all of it. I will definitely use the posted OpenELEC versions when I put this together!
Have you experienced any problems with HDCP content?
(2015-07-14, 18:28)KenV99 Wrote: Thanks. Using Google's translate, I can pretty much read all of it. I will definitely use the posted OpenELEC versions when I put this together!
Have you experienced any problems with HDCP content?

No not at all. I watched Iron Man 1 & 2 as well as The Hobbit on BluRay on the PS4 and everything worked as expected. But it might depend on what HDMI Splitter you use. I use a generic one from Amazon. It annoys me a little since that one has no CEC support, so I have to switch the ambilight inputs manually via buttons on the remote control. But today my Harmony Hub arrived so that shouldn't be a problem anymore. Tongue

PS: When you buy a USB Videograbber make sure it has the STK1160 chipset. .bismarcks OpenELEC version has a framescaling patch integrated that allows the grabber to reduce the resolution before outputting the image to the Pi. This is important because it reduces the load on the usb bus of the pi. Otherwise you might encounter flickering.
(2015-07-14, 20:31)Doc.Ex Wrote: No not at all. I watched Iron Man 1 & 2 as well as The Hobbit on BluRay on the PS4 and everything worked as expected. But it might depend on what HDMI Splitter you use. I use a generic one from Amazon. It annoys me a little since that one has no CEC support, so I have to switch the ambilight inputs manually via buttons on the remote control. But today my Harmony Hub arrived so that shouldn't be a problem anymore. Tongue

PS: When you buy a USB Videograbber make sure it has the STK1160 chipset. .bismarcks OpenELEC version has a framescaling patch integrated that allows the grabber to reduce the resolution before outputting the image to the Pi. This is important because it reduces the load on the usb bus of the pi. Otherwise you might encounter flickering.

Thx for the info about the HDCP. As far as the STK1160 - the link in my earlier post was for the only place I could find that seems to actually tell you which chipset is in the grabber. Will let you know how things go.
Here is another link to an EasyCap STK1160 that ships from the US: http://www.ebay.com/itm/USB-Audio-Video-...43c27f89e3
I wish I had found that one before ordering the one from China listed above.
Awesome! thanks!
I was just trying DIY with Arduino control Signal of led.
the solution as follow:
low cost led strip of individually addressable led strip(http://www.ledlightmake.com/color-single...t-c-80_81/) + Arduino
or WS2812 + Arduino with program code(However,I get a great kick out of a sequence manually like this...

#asm
MOV P1, #1
nop

nop
nop
nop
nop
nop
nop
nop
nop
nop