• 51(current)
Release Aeon Nox 5
(2014-03-12, 19:22)Unfledged Wrote:
(2014-03-12, 17:57)Walt74 Wrote: This also occurs at my similar setup. SubMenus don't appear until reboot, or very slow, or after resetting a section.

If submenus never appear, no matter how long you wait, then post a debug log and I'll look into it.

If they're just slow at displaying, this is a side effect of Gotham's new method of filling a list which they use (and will be mostly seen on slower systems like the Pi). It's possible to hack the skin to script.skinshortcuts alternative listing method (which is quicker, but doesn't integrate as nicely), otherwise there's little I can do about the speed.

I have installed the latest version from github now. I used the install from zip ( i used to just sftp into the Pi)The custom submenu's just appear slow, but they appear. So it is as you told.
How to post a debug log ; MacOS acces the hidden userdata folder ; How to post a question ; How to fix gatekeeper issues
(2014-03-12, 22:11)patseguin Wrote: So, what is the main reason for maintaining Nox 4.1.9 (Gotham) and Nox 5 ( Gotham)? Does 4.1.9 have features that you don't plan on for 5? I mainly need custom main menu items for my playlists like Bluray and 3D Bluray movies. I also like to have cases displayed. 4.1.9 seems a little heavy which is fine on my main living room htpc which is i3 and GTX 640 based. It seems a bit sluggish on my bedroom unit which is a Zotac ION box. If 5 has customers home menus and box art,mid probably switch over if is more lightweight.
The 4.x for Gotham was ported from the Frodo version because some people didn't like features that were removed in v5.

v5 can display something like 15 home menu items and an unlimited number of submenu entries. It lacks cases though.
Ah ok. Why not add cases to 5? Is it a lot of work and does it make the skin heavier?
Server: Synology Diskstation 1511+ with 8x WD Red NAS 3TB drives, DSM 5.2
Main HTPC: Home Built i3, 8GB RAM, Corsair 128GB SSD, nVidia 630GTX, Harmony Home Control, Pioneer VSX-53, Panasonic VT30 65" 3D TV, Windows 10, Isengard
Bedroom HTPC: Zotac-ID 41 8GB RAM, 128GB SSD, Rii micro keyboard remote, Samsung HW-E550, Sony 32" Google TV, OpenElec 6.0 beta 4
Everything you add makes it heavier Smile

BigNoid didn't feel it went with his image of the skin, so no cases. When it's all done, I'm sure someone will make a mod to add in some things.
After playing around with the various views in version 4, I have a few requests:

Could you improve the readability of text in Tri-Panel view?
I find the text on the left margin of the third panel difficult to read at times, especially when there is a lot to read. Moving the video case slightly to left, as in version 4, frees up more space to legibly read what is there.

Add the option for extended info as opposed to genre information in more views.
Most views in version 4, such as poster, shift and icons, benefit from having extended info in lieu of an infopanel.

Can you add an option to remove coverflow from Showcase view?
I prefer the side-by-side nature of movie scrolling as opposed to the standard coverflow.

Provide some type of flag to identify sets.
With BD/DVD cases being removed, it is difficult to identify sets in a large catalog of movies. Some types of flag for movie sets would make identifying sets easier.
@BigNoid

First of all, I'd like to say the skin looks great so far, you really changed a lot of things, and it feels extremely light... never expected there would ever be a light Nox, to be honest! Seems like it's been forever since I last contributed anything to Aeon Nox, but here it goes: one of the fonts used has most of the Greek characters messed up, so I fixed it and uploaded it here. Would really appreciate it if you could add it to the eventual release.

Keep up the good work!
Firat of all great skin. I'm already using it in my htpc and it works very well.
I have 2 questions.
1) is it possible to limit the dvd cases background of new episodes to unwatched one? At least for me it doesn't have a lot of sense to have the cover of something watched
2) is it too hard/too difficult to implement the automatic use of the playlist (creating automatically the 2nd limited playlist) for widget, background DVD cases, info line, background artworks etc etc in case I select a playlist as a menu destination (like aeon mq5 does)?
It could be quicker to set up everything, easier for noobs and of course if someone would need to hange that it could manually change it from the settings(maybe hidden under advanced options)
(2014-03-12, 22:32)patseguin Wrote: Ah ok. Why not add cases to 5? Is it a lot of work and does it make the skin heavier?

in effect yes, adding loads of custom code to show cases would slow down the skin a lot.

As someone else said, every feature request will make the skin heavier, slower, and more complicated to maintain.
Any reason why the "recent episodes" widget (so, the serice.library.data.provider plugin) on tvshows is only giving me one entry per update? (of course i'm adding more than 1 episode!)
Personally, I could do without the cleartart on the pause screen, it seems a bit 'loud' compared to the minimal controls/screen... Wink
sorry if this has been covered already,
but are there future plans to enhance the "Pictures" view/module.
I notice there are lots of views, widgets and enhancements for movies, videos and music.
but for pictures there is just "list"
(2014-03-13, 02:54)CutSickAss Wrote: and it feels extremely light... never expected there would ever be a light Nox
I agree 1000%
With a collection of 800 movies and more than 600 TV Episodes , i always had a 10 secs delay with buffering
But now , i can see my movie , at once
Thanks and congratulations BigNoid

P.s Only the Greek fonts are not shown properly.
(2014-03-13, 01:26)Warner306 Wrote: After playing around with the various views in version 4, I have a few requests:

Could you improve the readability of text in Tri-Panel view?
I find the text on the left margin of the third panel difficult to read at times, especially when there is a lot to read. Moving the video case slightly to left, as in version 4, frees up more space to legibly read what is there.

Add the option for extended info as opposed to genre information in more views.
Most views in version 4, such as poster, shift and icons, benefit from having extended info in lieu of an infopanel.

Can you add an option to remove coverflow from Showcase view?
I prefer the side-by-side nature of movie scrolling as opposed to the standard coverflow.

Provide some type of flag to identify sets.
With BD/DVD cases being removed, it is difficult to identify sets in a large catalog of movies. Some types of flag for movie sets would make identifying sets easier.
I think tripanel is fine as is.
Extended info I have to think about.
I wont add an option to remove converflow. There are plenty of poster views already.

(2014-03-13, 02:54)CutSickAss Wrote: @BigNoid

First of all, I'd like to say the skin looks great so far, you really changed a lot of things, and it feels extremely light... never expected there would ever be a light Nox, to be honest! Seems like it's been forever since I last contributed anything to Aeon Nox, but here it goes: one of the fonts used has most of the Greek characters messed up, so I fixed it and uploaded it here. Would really appreciate it if you could add it to the eventual release.

Keep up the good work!
Thx, will add that.
(2014-03-13, 04:52)phate89 Wrote: Firat of all great skin. I'm already using it in my htpc and it works very well.
I have 2 questions.
1) is it possible to limit the dvd cases background of new episodes to unwatched one? At least for me it doesn't have a lot of sense to have the cover of something watched
2) is it too hard/too difficult to implement the automatic use of the playlist (creating automatically the 2nd limited playlist) for widget, background DVD cases, info line, background artworks etc etc in case I select a playlist as a menu destination (like aeon mq5 does)?
It could be quicker to set up everything, easier for noobs and of course if someone would need to hange that it could manually change it from the settings(maybe hidden under advanced options)
1) just make a playlist for that and choose it for the dvd cases background.
2) Yeah, that would require running a script a possible of 16 times on either startup or home window loading. This is more work for the user but results in much faster code.
(2014-03-13, 18:30)djhifi Wrote: Any reason why the "recent episodes" widget (so, the serice.library.data.provider plugin) on tvshows is only giving me one entry per update? (of course i'm adding more than 1 episode!)
Please update the library provider script. This was fixed last week or so.

(2014-03-13, 20:14)mikkelnl Wrote: Personally, I could do without the cleartart on the pause screen, it seems a bit 'loud' compared to the minimal controls/screen... Wink

Heh, that is the one place in the skin I think clearart is appropriate Tongue

(2014-03-13, 22:15)xvader Wrote: sorry if this has been covered already,
but are there future plans to enhance the "Pictures" view/module.
I notice there are lots of views, widgets and enhancements for movies, videos and music.
but for pictures there is just "list"

Yes, I know that is very minimalistic right now. Havent come around to adding some picture specific views yet.
(2014-03-14, 16:37)BigNoid Wrote: 1) just make a playlist for that and choose it for the dvd cases background.
2) Yeah, that would require running a script a possible of 16 times on either startup or home window loading. This is more work for the user but results in much faster code.
1) Thanks i didn't think of a playlist for episodes
2) That if you actually use a custom code. But what i was asking is: the skin can't do automatically what i have to do manually by default (if it is possible)?
When i select a playlist the skin automatically create a 2nd combined playlist pointing to the original(or even a brand new one) that adds a limit of 10 and the sorting and use that playlist to run the widget and the background cases.. Is this possible to do or it is too tricky to implement?
So, my Media Center updated to Nox 5 when I turned it on this evening. Nox 4 has disappeared from my skin choices. Not sure how that happened, but more importantly, can't figure out how to get Artist Slideshow to run. I like having the pictures it downloads of the artists on screen while my music plays. Do I need to go grab the version of 4.1.9 that's being ported to Gotham, or is Nox 5 going to get Artist Slideshow support? If there are no plans for AS, that's fine - it's the only plug-in I care about, and I'll switch skins to keep it.
  • 51(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Aeon Nox 537