• 176(current)
OpenELEC Testbuilds for RaspberryPi Part 2
(2014-01-28, 17:09)tuath Wrote: I started using my rpi and MilHouse's builds to listen to music. While using PAPlayer, the music is not as loud as if I was watching a movie and the audio cuts out every few seconds (I am guessing too much cpu usage for something...). If I use dvdplayer, the music plays fine but at a low volume. If I use omxplayer, no music at all.

What's the format of the music file that stutters? Do all music files stutter?
(2014-01-28, 18:13)popcornmix Wrote:
(2014-01-28, 17:09)tuath Wrote: I started using my rpi and MilHouse's builds to listen to music. While using PAPlayer, the music is not as loud as if I was watching a movie and the audio cuts out every few seconds (I am guessing too much cpu usage for something...). If I use dvdplayer, the music plays fine but at a low volume. If I use omxplayer, no music at all.

What's the format of the music file that stutters? Do all music files stutter?

I only have MP3's after ripping my collection, so I couldn't say...

I also don't know when this started, although I know I didn't have a problem with Frodo. Large collections (11k+ songs) work well now with the rpi...
(2014-01-28, 15:19)popcornmix Wrote:
(2014-01-28, 14:50)delinend Wrote: I think Gotham has mixup the differency of "Frame rate" and "Refresh rate".
For a PAL 25p movie, the "Refresh rate" should be 50p, and not 25p in the Gotham build. Frodo is doing it right, to change it to 50p

There's no reason not to use 25p for 25fps progressive video.
Just as it's correct to use 24p for 24fps progressive video.

I think, though, as I've reported before, it would be better if PAL (50Hz) actually works at 1080p50 - I get jerkyness playing live TV when is switches to 1080p25. I don't get this if I force to 1080p50 (no switch).
New OpenELEC Gotham build: #0129
(Supercedes previous build)

Code:
# uname -a
Linux rpi512 3.13.0 #1 PREEMPT Wed Jan 29 03:28:29 GMT 2014 armv6l GNU/Linux

# vcgencmd version
Jan 28 2014 18:56:53
Copyright (c) 2012 Broadcom
version 8966c433ecd9358a1cdab717d2a1b89999464b10 (clean) (release)

# lsb_release
OpenELEC (Milhouse) - Version: devel-20140129032732-r17178-ge91ea20

Based on tip of XBMC master (56c2654, changelog) and tip of OpenELEC master (e91ea20, changelog) with the following modifications:
  • Includes newclock3 commits (except for c8023fd which I've replaced with a static spinner)
  • Includes PR4083: fix HLS variant selection
  • Excludes the OpenELEC fernetmenta patches (due to conflict with newclock3)
Build Higlights:
  1. Updated firmware - the following settings are no longer required in config.txt and should be removed:
    Code:
    no_hdmi_resample=1
    hdmi_stream_channels=1
    no_resample_audio is now a default, and hdmi_stream_channels is switched based on audio content. For the time being when using passthrough, 2.0 speaker layout should continue to be used (you will still get 5.1 with AC3/DTS).

2. Implement libcurl openssl thread-safe locking

Additional Testing Notes:
  1. Testers should try adding the following entry to their advancedsettings.xml:
    Code:
    <advancedsettings>
      <video>
        <defaultplayer>dvdplayer</defaultplayer>
        <defaultdvdplayer>dvdplayer</defaultdvdplayer>
      </video>
    </advancedsettings>
    and report if it is better/worse than omxplayer. You can still play files with omxplayer using the context-menu "Play using... OMXPlayer".

2. The following settings are no longer required in config.txt and should be removed:
    Code:
    no_hdmi_resample=1
    hdmi_stream_channels=1
    no_resample_audio is now a default, and hdmi_stream_channels is switched based on audio content.
Texture Cache Maintenance Utility: Preload your texture cache for optimal UI performance. Remotely manage media libraries. Purge unused artwork to free up space. Find missing media. Configurable QA check to highlight metadata issues. Aid in diagnosis of library and cache related problems.
(2014-01-28, 22:39)craigbeat Wrote: I think, though, as I've reported before, it would be better if PAL (50Hz) actually works at 1080p50 - I get jerkyness playing live TV when is switches to 1080p25. I don't get this if I force to 1080p50 (no switch).

Yes, I see exact same judder, on my other screens, when playing PAL25p into 1080p25. I looks great on old builds where XBMC switch it to 1080p50.

I don't know, where to allocate this problem. I can't see, if it is the omxplayer or the Gotham build, that have to manage this switching ?
Hi,
have a little problem. In all that Gotham builds I don`t get Analog Audio to work. HDMI works fine, but changing to analog doesn`t have any effect.
With OpenELEC 3.2.4 this problem isn`t present. Are there any ideas what i can look for?

thanks for help
got mine to work by enabling dual audio.. but seems to be a bug. Also this will only work for omxplayer, could not get any audio out of dvdplayer

(2014-01-29, 13:04)MaxiMillion Wrote: Hi,
have a little problem. In all that Gotham builds I don`t get Analog Audio to work. HDMI works fine, but changing to analog doesn`t have any effect.
With OpenELEC 3.2.4 this problem isn`t present. Are there any ideas what i can look for?

thanks for help
(2014-01-29, 13:23)[email protected] Wrote: got mine to work by enabling dual audio.. but seems to be a bug. Also this will only work for omxplayer, could not get any audio out of dvdplayer
yep, by enabling dual audio also the analog out works. i can live with that solution for now. thanks for help
(2014-01-29, 09:37)delinend Wrote:
(2014-01-28, 22:39)craigbeat Wrote: I think, though, as I've reported before, it would be better if PAL (50Hz) actually works at 1080p50 - I get jerkyness playing live TV when is switches to 1080p25. I don't get this if I force to 1080p50 (no switch).

Yes, I see exact same judder, on my other screens, when playing PAL25p into 1080p25. I looks great on old builds where XBMC switch it to 1080p50.

I don't know, where to allocate this problem. I can't see, if it is the omxplayer or the Gotham build, that have to manage this switching ?

I actually force PAL to 25p and NTSC to 30p in advancedsettings.xml, matching the framerate to the refresh rate gives better results just like switching a 24fps movie to 24p (which is done automatically). There is absolutely no reason to double the refresh rate its just a waste, which is why your TV supports these modes? And on a RPi it wil also free up some resources. I use it for live tv a lot, and have no trouble at all.

I use Frodo, but I'd imagine on Gotham just like Frodo will use the same mechanism if your tv does not support 24p XBMC will choose 60p. So if your tv does not support 25p or 30p in Gotham it will just switch to 50 or 60hz? If you do not like it force it back to old standard in advancedsettings.xml. To me this is an improvement. If you have trouble with choppiness its a bug somewhere else, its logic that 25 fps on 25p its simply impossible if things work as they should.

There is a reason your TV supports 25p and 30p and it is just like with 24p to achieve "cine"-look. With flat screens we are moving away from the old PAL/NTSC cathode needs and headaches. Why buy a TV with features that support these refresh rates in the first place then? TVs that support 24, 25, and 30p are usually in the high end or not very old.

OpenELEC is actually on the front detecting and supporting those modes that not many other devices do today.

For those having trouble, as said you can control refresh rates according to fps via advancedsettings: http://wiki.xbmc.org/?title=Advancedsett...3Cvideo.3E

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frame_rate

I'll check out a Gotham build and see if there's any difference ie. I run into the same problems, that should narrow in the problem if there is one.
(2014-01-29, 20:01)tuxen Wrote: I actually force PAL to 25p and NTSC to 30p in advancedsettings.xml, matching the framerate to the refresh rate gives better results just like switching a 24fps movie to 24p (which is done automatically). There is absolutely no reason to double the refresh rate its just a waste, which is why your TV supports these modes? And on a RPi it wil also free up some resources. I use it for live tv a lot, and have no trouble at all.

I use Frodo, but I'd imagine on Gotham just like Frodo will use the same mechanism if your tv does not support 24p XBMC will choose 60p. So if your tv does not support 25p or 30p in Gotham it will just switch to 50 or 60hz? If you do not like it force it back to old standard in advancedsettings.xml. To me this is an improvement. If you have trouble with choppiness its a bug somewhere else, its logic that 25 fps on 25p its simply impossible if things work as they should.

There is a reason your TV supports 25p and 30p and it is just like with 24p to achieve "cine"-look. With flat screens we are moving away from the old PAL/NTSC cathode needs and headaches. Why buy a TV with features that support these refresh rates in the first place then? TVs that support 24, 25, and 30p are usually in the high end or not very old.

OpenELEC is actually on the front detecting and supporting those modes that not many other devices do today...
I have noticed something odd in this regard. On 30 Fps media, when refresh on the pi is set to 60 (in video settings), my tv reports that it is switching to 30. If I switch refresh on the pi to 30, however, the tv reports that it is switching to 60. Does this make any sense to you?

This is using various recent Gotham builds.
(2014-01-29, 20:01)tuxen Wrote: I actually force PAL to 25p and NTSC to 30p in advancedsettings.xml, matching the framerate to the refresh rate gives better results just like switching a 24fps movie to 24p (which is done automatically). There is absolutely no reason to double the refresh rate its just a waste, which is why your TV supports these modes? And on a RPi it wil also free up some resources. I use it for live tv a lot, and have no trouble at all.

OpenELEC is actually on the front detecting and supporting those modes that not many other devices do today.

For those having trouble, as said you can control refresh rates according to fps via advancedsettings: http://wiki.xbmc.org/?title=Advancedsett...3Cvideo.3E

I'll check out a Gotham build and see if there's any difference ie. I run into the same problems, that should narrow in the problem if there is one.

Thanks for reply Tuxen.

Ohh. I did not know that I could fix this in advancedsettings.xml.
I will try it tomorow :-)

I can't right follow you in the TV framerate, on new screens. I'm a TV repair-man, and know that 120hz on my screen, is better than 60hz (for my eys).
The same is for 25Hz and 50Hz. Yes old "tubes" are slow, an you can't see the 25Hz. But on new fast flat screens, there is alot of differency between 25 and 50Hz. I can see the flikker. Especialy, when a movie is recorded whith variable framerate. More and more movies, are in variableframerate, and it is easyer to see the judder/framefresh in 25Hz, rather than in 50Hz.

I can also see your point.. Why use cpu, to draw twice as many frames :-)

Best regards
(2014-01-29, 20:01)tuxen Wrote:
(2014-01-29, 09:37)delinend Wrote:

I actually force PAL to 25p and NTSC to 30p in advancedsettings.xml, matching the framerate to the refresh rate gives better results just like switching a 24fps movie to 24p (which is done automatically). There is absolutely no reason to double the refresh rate its just a waste, which is why your TV supports these modes? And on a RPi it wil also free up some resources. I use it for live tv a lot, and have no trouble at all.

Yeah, I see your point. However, there is a noticeable difference between when it's at 25 vs 50, especially on sporting events. What do you set in advanced settings to force it?
Hi,

I'm sorry to ask this, but i'm reading this threat for a while now, found a lot of info, but i can't find (the right and succes) how to install this builds.
Can someone give me a link to a good clear tutorial?
I can install img files but not this Tar, i know i have to "unzip" it but what then.

Thank you
It's in the WIKI: http://wiki.openelec.tv/index.php/Instal...spberry_Pi
From recent Gotham builds you can drop the tar file in the Update folder.
Please can someone look at radio analog output isn't working. Dualmode is working for video's but in
Music(radio) this isn' t. Using the latest test version.
Pichimney is working both for video and music(radio) -> selected dualmode.

Many thanks for this awaresome software/ firmware.

Marcel
  • 176(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
OpenELEC Testbuilds for RaspberryPi Part 223