• 9(current)
WIP Adding Audio DSP Plugin to AddonManager
if it compiles *cough*
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
Today I want to share some information about AudioDSP. It is fully merged into latest master and we ship the first wave of add-ons on some platforms.

Here is a short list with supported platforms:
adsp.basic & asdp.freesurround: available on all platforms except Android.
adsp.biquad.filters: only available on Windows and Linux.

The problem is that I don't have a working build environment or device for testing. Furthermore I'm currently improving my asplib, which is a dependency for adsp.biquad.filters. When this pull request is merged I will work on porting the add-ons to other platforms.

Currently I'm writting a new thread with an overview about AudioDSP and further developments. When it is finish I will mention it here.
Latest news about AudioDSP and my libraries is available on Twitter.

Developers can follow me on Github.
Excellent, I am eager to test adsp.basic on my OpenELEC install.
Hi,

i installed the release 16.4 under Windows to see how the ADSP is working. I found some setting you can change in the OSD :-) Very nice work.
Is it also possible to increase the volume of the input channels? For instance if you have a 5.1 DTS track with a very soft center channel. Output is Stereo.
Would it be possible then to increase the level of the Center channel only?

Thanks

Alex
(2015-12-07, 22:31)wisler Wrote: Today I want to share some information about AudioDSP. It is fully merged into latest master and we ship the first wave of add-ons on some platforms.

Here is a short list with supported platforms:
adsp.basic & asdp.freesurround: available on all platforms except Android.
adsp.biquad.filters: only available on Windows and Linux.

The problem is that I don't have a working build environment or device for testing. Furthermore I'm currently improving my asplib, which is a dependency for adsp.biquad.filters. When this pull request is merged I will work on porting the add-ons to other platforms.

Currently I'm writting a new thread with an overview about AudioDSP and further developments. When it is finish I will mention it here.

Excellent indeed! I will also try it out soon.
At the moment i dream of digital room correction build into kodi. There is already a project called "python open room correction" to calculate the filters, which gives very good results for some people (on par with Dirac Live). Measurments of the room/speaker respoonse build in should also not be a big problem (This is normally done with the Room Eq Wizard - REW - but can also be done with a combination of cmd line utilities glsweep and lsconv from drc-fir.sf.net. And looking at asplib, it is clear that a convolution engine is upcoming.
I don't have much time at the hands, but maybe i can try to get a complete complete open source toolchain up an running to build the filters and apply them using the Audio DSP Plugin.

edit: @winsler: Just read your post here (http://www.aktives-hoeren.de/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=6203). This is indeed, which i have also in mind. I am not that experienced yet - heck my AVR does not even have a own DRC system... - but i am very interested to have a complete and open solution using a PC.
(2015-12-13, 18:14)alex.ba Wrote: Hi,

i installed the release 16.4 under Windows to see how the ADSP is working. I found some setting you can change in the OSD :-) Very nice work.

Thanks Blush

(2015-12-13, 18:14)alex.ba Wrote: Is it also possible to increase the volume of the input channels? For instance if you have a 5.1 DTS track with a very soft center channel. Output is Stereo.
Would it be possible then to increase the level of the Center channel only?
As far as I know that is currently not possible. adsp.basic only has a post processing, which is performed after master processing (in your case a downmix mode). Our core implementation supports that, but we don't have an add-on for that sorry.

Maybe one day Wink

Ok Thanks wisler,

maybe one day :-)
It is great with DSP emerging into KODI. Excellent! I would just like to ask a newbie question regarding this work: Have you considered to create a simple wrapper for VST plugins as one of your first DSP addons?

If I understand this thread correctly, the KODI project has set out to create basic DSP features like biquads, delay, etc. Questions then arrise as all these basic features are available in a zillion variants in the industry standard VST. Thus, to replicate all the features available in VST format is a giant task.

If you made such a simple wrapper, it would most definitely open a floodgate of features for DSP-ing Kodi, and it would surely attract a lot of new (i.e. the advanced DSP) users. It would combine brilliantly into the superior Kodi in general to have advanced DSP.

You can run VST plugins without GUI, so in a basic version the non-crossplatform GUI problems are not showstoppers.

I believe such a wrapper is not hard to do. I have written several VST plugins in Java, then wrapped via simple text files to VST plugin format on Windows, or to VST, AU and LADSPA plugin format on OS X, etc. The reason for using Java (also Windows ASIO compliant, BTW) is crossplatform compliance for the situation when the same software is used as a standalone app on Java compliant platforms, including Android. It means the VST and other plugin variant were a spinoff, but it works very well.

I understand that KODI is open source and free and that this collides with some commercial VST products, however there is also alot of VST freeware. And even if KODI is freeware, why not allow me as a user to freely select free or commercial add-ons? Afterall, I did pay for my laptop and for my Windows 10, and...

Further I salute obviously the KODI cross platform policy, and understand that this would in principle rule out "Windows only" VST standard and the likes as a standard KODI feature, but:

Even with a long term goal of offering such crossplatform compliance, it would still be A VERY GOOD THING if KODI would become an option for being used as a music server on a Windows machine with the integration of VST plugins. This is because, as many others have pointed out, there are basic features like room correction freely available as VST plugins. And audio enhancers like SoundPimp for crosstalk removal are other examples of basic and interesting DSP features. Many of these plugins have reached their level of sophistication after many years of development, so it is not that easy to replicate just like that in a new DSP KODI format. This is a relevant comment, not?

As it seems, a VST setup is available by using JRiver, but that needs further investigation.

I mention also that I used Windows Winamp in the past because it had exactly such a wrapper for VST plugins. The developer of this wrapper may be contacted for advice on how to do it. Such wrapper only needs the buffered audio on such and such format, that's almost all there is to it regarding the connection to KODI. Regarding the connection to the plugin, the interface has been written before, in e.g. that Winamp wrapper. In C, I anticipate.

WHY THIS ELABORATION?

What I am looking for is to play my local music library from my DLNA compliant network player Marantz na6005. It connects to the stereo. I could alternatively use my Android phone instead of the Marantz.

Importantly, both these machines are, at least on given conditions, able to handle e.g. 24bit 192kHz audio streaming formats. For example, I can connect the Android (LG G2) directly to a USB DAC. There is a myriad of options, but now I have this Marantz that I intend to feed with DPSed audio streams.

To be honest (from lack of competence specifically on DLNA server setups) I am not even sure the Marantz or the LG G2 network player will be able to see KODI as a DLNA (or similar) music server, or if it will only continue to see the music sercer directly. (It is a wireless seagate drive). But as I connect-in or hook-up KODI in between, to that Seagate server, I hope this to be the end result. Upon success, I can then start to connect DSP into the audio routing chain in the KODI.

For completeness, I just mention that as long as this whole setup is not a reality, I am using KODI or other players on my laptop, playing through the DSP of choice on that laptop, the DSP then being configured as a default part of the Windows audio, and finally sending it to that Marantz via airplay or chromcast audio or bluetooth. The net end result regarding the audio quality is similar excpt for the lack of high resolution audio formats compliance. I have CD lossless via Airplay, but I do not have high resolution formats. I want that!

I hope this makes sense to the developers.
Can i use asdp.freesurround only for music or is it available in tv and video mode? (github readme: "It works with any stereo music containing surround info")

When i'm playing 5.1 music is surround automatically disabled?

Is asdp.freesurround available for RPI OpenELEC?
(2015-12-31, 16:54)cert_ Wrote: Can i use asdp.freesurround only for music or is it available in tv and video mode? (github readme: "It works with any stereo music containing surround info")

When i'm playing 5.1 music is surround automatically disabled?

Is asdp.freesurround available for RPI OpenELEC?
The same question & Happy New Year !
Hi @TVPL and @cert_,

Happy new year Smile

currently becomes FreeSurround only used on stereo and is available for music and video (with TV).

About 5.1, yes is then not available to select

I can not say on the moment if it is present for OpenELEC.
@chjan
Quite a long post Tongue

(2015-12-20, 14:11)chjan Wrote: I would just like to ask a newbie question regarding this work: Have you considered to create a simple wrapper for VST plugins as one of your first DSP addons?
Yes, but I don't want to start this project. It breaks my vision about Open Source and Kodi's crossplatform support.
You also mentioned the most drawbacks, which we would have with VST. I looked into VST and helped a colluege at work with his plugin. I have to say VST 3 has the worst documentation and API I have ever saw.Sleepy It took two months to get the plugin in good shape..
That was one reason why we defined our own API that suits more to Kodi. We have several processing steps, which are not supported by VST. Furthermore it is only available for OSX and Windows. Not for Android, RPi or Linux.

(2015-12-20, 14:11)chjan Wrote: If I understand this thread correctly, the KODI project has set out to create basic DSP features like biquads, delay, etc. Questions then arrise as all these basic features are available in a zillion variants in the industry standard VST. Thus, to replicate all the features available in VST format is a giant task.
You're right, but the most audio processing algorithms can be implemented with in some lines. See my library for the biquad filter. It is one class. What needs many effort is the UI and the configuration of the algorithms. Further effort is needed to create a nice user interface, which you can use while sitting at your couch Blush

(2015-12-20, 14:11)chjan Wrote: I believe such a wrapper is not hard to do. I have written several VST plugins in Java, then wrapped via simple text files to VST plugin format on Windows, or to VST, AU and LADSPA plugin format on OS X, etc. The reason for using Java (also Windows ASIO compliant, BTW) is crossplatform compliance for the situation when the same software is used as a standalone app on Java compliant platforms, including Android. It means the VST and other plugin variant were a spinoff, but it works very well.
(2015-12-20, 14:11)chjan Wrote: You can run VST plugins without GUI, so in a basic version the non-crossplatform GUI problems are not showstoppers.
You have to implement this basic GUI with Kodi's GUI library. It really needs some effort and is not so easy you might think. You have to write a wrapper addon, which implements all needed host functions for VST. Our API is Open Source if you know how to write it in Java why not starting this project by yourself. Our API is stable enough to start new addons.

(2015-12-20, 14:11)chjan Wrote: so it is not that easy to replicate just like that in a new DSP KODI format
It's not just replcating it is customization for Kodi Wink It is not format it is a shared library with it's own API like VST or LADSPA.
Btw. I makes a lot of fun to learn this stuff and develop it from scratch.

I've skinned the DSP Manager/DSP Settings dialogs, but I see the settings dialogs for each adsp addon also need to be skinned. For example:

adsp.basic: DialogSpeakerDistance.xml, DialogSpeakerGain.xml

adsp.biquad.filters: DialogParametricEQ.xml

Are there plans (or is it possible) for ADSP addons to use standard Kodi dialogs for their settings, so skinners don't have to do each one?
(2016-01-05, 08:54)alwinus Wrote: Hi @TVPL and @cert_,

Happy new year Smile

currently becomes FreeSurround only used on stereo and is available for music and video (with TV).

About 5.1, yes is then not available to select

I can not say on the moment if it is present for OpenELEC.

It is visible in OpenELEC nightly build but when i try to activate the RPI is freezing.

Please developers, make it possible to disable 5.1 pro logic decoding in music playback while it is active for 2.0 movies and live TV. Thank you.
(2016-01-09, 22:49)braz Wrote: I've skinned the DSP Manager/DSP Settings dialogs, but I see the settings dialogs for each adsp addon also need to be skinned. For example:

adsp.basic: DialogSpeakerDistance.xml, DialogSpeakerGain.xml

adsp.biquad.filters: DialogParametricEQ.xml

Are there plans (or is it possible) for ADSP addons to use standard Kodi dialogs for their settings, so skinners don't have to do each one?

Thanks for your effort. So far I couldn't find a window, which will suit our needs for configurations. I guess we should develop something similiar like our settings page, which should only consume work once.

If you have a good idea I'm open for further discussions. Send me a PM or start a new thread in the binary add-on subforum if you want.

• 9(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Adding Audio DSP Plugin to AddonManager7