£60 to get xbmc on my tv?
(2014-03-19, 22:00)MediaPi Wrote: To buy a Raspberry Pi over an Ouya at £60 price point is misguided from what I've heard on the internet. The difference in user experience is big.
If I had £60 I would do as I said. but I'm biased haha

Well I'm biased too, but it's worth mentioning that Pi does:
proper smooth 24p output (almost all video files are 24p)
high quality scaling (all Android devices use low quality bilinear scaling)
passthrough of DTS/AC3
multichannel PCM
CEC so you can use your TV remote
Supports hardware MPEG2 and VC1, (including deinterlace) required for live TV and BluRays
Proper 1080p for GUI and video playback (not downscaled to 720p)

Android devices generally don't do most of those, including the Ouya.
GUI speed is better on Ouya. Video playback quality is better on Pi. What's more important?
(2014-03-19, 22:00)MediaPi Wrote: Buy a second hand Ouya from ebay for £75 to £80. If you really want to save some cash, sell the controller on ebay for £12-£15 then use your ps3 controller and get your Ouya for £60. I think you could reach that price or possibly upto £65.

To buy a Raspberry Pi over an Ouya at £60 price point is misguided from what I've heard on the internet. The difference in user experience is big.

I only have 3 Pi's just to let you know and thats the only hardware I can comment on. But have seen videos running XBMC on Ouya and its just funny the difference, but both play 1080p fine. plus the Pi has had its day. Ouya will keep improving and then the cubox i will replace the Pi.

If I had £60 I would do as I said. but I'm biased haha

Doesn't the Pi outperform the Ouya in basic video quality terms though? AIUI the Ouya has a snappier UI and so feels nicer when you're navigating your library, but once you actually start to watch video, the Pi does a better job? I've yet to see an Android device that really matches Linux builds in video terms.

AIUI the Ouya struggles with 24/50/60Hz frame rate switching (essential for Europeans like me who watch a mix of material like Blu-ray, DVD, Live TV etc.) - which is required to avoid poor quality replay if you have a 24p-friendly TV (as many of use now have), or don't want to watch 50Hz content with 60Hz judder. I have read mixed reports of its de-interlacing quality as well - and AIUI FLAC multichannel stuff may be an issue as well, as I think the Ouya is limited to 2.0 PCM output ?

It depends what you want from your player - snappy UI or decent video quality. Personally, I'd be keeping my eyes out for a second hand Revo...
thanks for the help guys ended up going with a pi, if it doesnt work out im sure ill get my money back selling locally.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
£60 to get xbmc on my tv?0