• 5(current)
Amazon Fire TV for XBMC
(2014-04-03, 02:18)drhill Wrote:
(2014-04-02, 23:30)davilla Wrote: awaaa, no h265 Smile

You jest, but I'm a little sad, but not surprised, at no mpeg2 and no DTS. I expect there won't be any 24p support either.

But it would have a clean netflix experience and im sure it would have surround sound options. Right not there really isnt a perfect box for both xbmc and netflix. Ouya comes close but you still have to click every now and again, plus its not full hd. At least last i checked.
My 1st Gen Sony GTV device (inte) is a great Netflix and Plex box. It direct plays everything. It doesn't do HD audio but it does DTS, DD+, and DD. Sadly, Google, Intel, and Sony are jerks and it will never get an update again. So no XBMC and no Amazon app (no hardware DRM like 2nd gen)

My 2nd Gen Sony GTV device is an ok Plex box. It's Netflix app still doesn't support profiles (WTF!). Still waiting on an update to use XBMC (hopefully). But the arm chipset does what arm chipset do... shit the bed on certain blu ray rips unlike intel chipset. Of course Plex is a picky bastard about what direct plays, even if the codec is supported in hardware. This box has potential, but not like the 1st gen boxes.
(2014-04-03, 02:27)calev Wrote:

You jest, but I'm a little sad, but not surprised, at no mpeg2 and no DTS. I expect there won't be any 24p support either.

But it would have a clean netflix experience and im sure it would have surround sound options. Right not there really isnt a perfect box for both xbmc and netflix. Ouya comes close but you still have to click every now and again, plus its not full hd. At least last i checked.

Nope no HD Netflix on any android box I'm aware of. I think if you spoof some of the boxes as nexus you can get HD but still not sure. Android is behind iOS when it comes to that.
(2014-04-03, 00:00)elmerohueso Wrote:
(2014-04-02, 22:33)lrjensen Wrote:
(2014-04-02, 22:16)DaPhatty Wrote: Has anyone found a list of supported video file formats? I love my Apple TVs but my iTunes conversion and import workflow is starting to wear thin on my patience.

Doesn't list the actual file formats (containers), but according to the specs these are the supported video encodings:
H.263, H.264, MPEG4-SP, VC1
http://www.amazon.com/Amazon-CL1130-Fire...ds=fire+tv

Here's a more comprehensive list, including containers.

Well looking at this info I will probably pass. Up to 1080p, 30 fps, 20 Mbps

Sorry for the newbie question, but if a device like Amazon's set top box doesn't natively do DTS, TrueHD, DTS-HD, is it possible through the software in XBMC to enable those features and allow my receiver to process? Thanks in advance.
(2014-04-03, 02:26)davilla Wrote: if they don't list DTS, then I highly doubt that is would be enabled for passthough.

How can you disable DTS for passthrough? Passthrough does just that, it passes through the digital data stream unchanged. As long as it can support the necessary bandwidth, it doesn't matter if the data is DTS or STD or whatnot.

Why would anyone care what the amazon player is capable of? As long as XBMC runs that spec is irrelevant. The real question is whether XBMC will be able to make use of the hardware decoder (may take some work), and if not, whether that qualcomm cpu is powerful enough for software 1080p h264 decoding.
I too, would be very interested in a $100 piece of hardware that ran XBMC properly (unlike Ouya and all of the Rockchip, etc options). That market is certainly wide open ATM.

However, for those in the $180 market, the new NVIDIA K1 box has specs that blow everything out of the water and my guess is that XBMC will run natively on it. After all, NVIDIA's ION platform, this board's predecessor (by two versions) was one of the first turnkey, low-power boxes XBMC was designed to run upon.

You an pre-order the K1 box on NewEgg if interested. Again, while I'm very excited about the Amazon Fire box, being realistic, my guess is that the K1 will eventually replace all of my mini PC (ITX) boxes I run now.

Oh, and to one of the earlier posters, I do believe the K1 may be targeted towards the 4k market and does indeed carry a Gigabit NIC.
Well just got the confirmation email stating that they shipped it with Lasership, so it looks like I'll be lucky to have by Christmas.

Not you too Wink
(2014-04-02, 19:53)sherl0k Wrote: anyone notice the screenshot? looks awfully a lot like XBMC.

Sure they didn't fork the project?

I would say it looks at just like the PLEX Home Theater UI for Windows. That being said this is a very interesting box. I am currently poking around with the Minix X7 and not impressed with XBMC for Android one bit. If someone can find out how to load XBMC on this new box it could be a big deal.
(2014-04-03, 08:08)portpower Wrote: I would say it looks at just like the PLEX Home Theater UI for Windows. That being said this is a very interesting box. I am currently poking around with the Minix X7 and not impressed with XBMC for Android one bit. If someone can find out how to load XBMC on this new box it could be a big deal.

A suggestion is not to use a device running a Rockchip processor. They've never worked well with XBMC, and I'm guessing they never will.
Hope to get some feedback from people who got their firetv box.
(2014-04-03, 08:22)natethomas Wrote:
(2014-04-03, 08:08)portpower Wrote: I would say it looks at just like the PLEX Home Theater UI for Windows. That being said this is a very interesting box. I am currently poking around with the Minix X7 and not impressed with XBMC for Android one bit. If someone can find out how to load XBMC on this new box it could be a big deal.

A suggestion is not to use a device running a Rockchip processor. They've never worked well with XBMC, and I'm guessing they never will.

Updating (and hunting for just the right) firmware is enough of a PITA that I wouldn't really recommend rockchips, but performance wise, it's not bad at all. About the same as the OUYA, I think. I can't check right now, because mine is still screwed up from my Rockchips stick botched FW update :D
Don't expect miracles, the Fire, from an Xbmc perspective, looks just like another Droid box.
I see no reason it will run better or worse than any other boxes, with the benefit of good support in general but xbmc in particular will probably be frowned upon or just ignored.

It might be a good Droid reference device, though, as I assume it will become quite well spread.
(2014-04-03, 08:27)nero12 Wrote: Hope to get some feedback from people who got their firetv box.

Yepp, hope so as well Big Grin
  • 5(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Amazon Fire TV for XBMC10