• 25(current)
Amazon Fire TV for XBMC
(2014-04-05, 04:48)kalikid021 Wrote: To update this. The majority of my content is 720p, just tried a 1080p video and it was stuttery. I am running the currnt frodo build, and there is no option to change render method in video settings. Only auto detect is available.
That's because Frodo doesn't have video acceleration on Android. That makes it pretty worthless for HD on Android.
Koying has already posted a test build, earlier in this thread, that seems to fix the green screen stuff, but the video still seems a bit laggy.
mine came in today, looking forward to playing around with it.

I see that there is a tear down of the fire tv for those that enjoy that sort of thing:
http://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/Amazon+Fi...down/23856
(2014-04-05, 02:49)bnazza Wrote:
(2014-04-05, 02:29)thess Wrote: A couple of remote control questions:

When you guys talk about "official XBMC remote" or "yatse", do you specifically mean an android app you're installing on a second android device, like a phone/tablet? If so, how is it talking to the FireTV, over your network or something? (I'm an iOS girl, sorrydon'thate)

I'm a long (long long long) time Harmony remote enthusiast, and I've been wracking my brain trying to figure out how I can make my Harmony smart control hub (which does output bluetooth in some sense) talk to the bluetooth on the FireTV. I don't think that's going to happen since it wants to actually pair first. I also tried adding the Logitech K400 keyboard as a device in the Harmony setup, thinking I could trick the control hub into talking to the dongle (which is working on the Fire), but it was a non-starter. On that note, a profile for the FireTV does exist in the Harmony device database, it just says it's not supported 'yet'. Attempting to learn commands outputted via the Fire remote or the K400 to the smart hub doesn't work.

(Also, sorry for referring to torrented tv shows earlier. I know it doesn't matter, but I pay for cable, hence asking about the HBO Go app earlier. I just have a lot of archived stuff, including UK shows you can't really get via other means.)

I'm using a harmony one remote with a FLIRC to control XBMC on on OUYA and it works just fine. The FLIRC plugs into the USB port and is controlled by IR. FLIRC can be got on Amazon... http://www.amazon.com/FLIRC-Dongle-Media...ords=FLIRC

Does the harmony remote on Ouya work with voice? say you are in the on screen text menu and instead of keyboarding can you speak to it?? I have been looking for the past two days on this and everything I find is on voxcomando which to my understanding is for windows ad cant be used on android alone....also I know about the android apps like Yatse and the Official XBMC remote however I do not want to use my phone, or a keyboard and mouse all I really want is to be able to do is say what I want typed. I have a fire tv coming tomorrow so this is not off topic really if there is a way to perform voice searches with a plugin on android let me know. I am interested in booting the fire directly to XBMC and and configuring the remote to perform voice search when the onscreen keyboard pops up
I'm surprised this hasn't been mentioned here yet... unless of course I'm just missing it somewhere but you don't even need the Android SDK to install an apk to the FTV. If you have a rooted Android phone or tablet with a console installed you can do it all from there. Wink Of course if you have a rooted device then you'll likely already have adb on your PC so in either case, this is still kinda neat.

http://imgur.com/QmdtNRb
(2014-04-05, 06:12)rj2763 Wrote: Does the harmony remote on Ouya work with voice? say you are in the on screen text menu and instead of keyboarding can you speak to it?? I have been looking for the past two days on this and everything I find is on voxcomando which to my understanding is for windows ad cant be used on android alone....also I know about the android apps like Yatse and the Official XBMC remote however I do not want to use my phone, or a keyboard and mouse all I really want is to be able to do is say what I want typed. I have a fire tv coming tomorrow so this is not off topic really if there is a way to perform voice searches with a plugin on android let me know. I am interested in booting the fire directly to XBMC and and configuring the remote to perform voice search when the onscreen keyboard pops up

The Harmony One remote does not respond to voice commands. Believe me, I've tried. "Harmony... go get me a beer"...... nothing.
I've got xbmc installed and running. No time to fully test it though. I got to get it hooked up to Ethernet before I can. My WiFi sucks.
Anyone want to post a debug log (wiki) where you go through and press all the buttons on the remote? From other logs posted, it seems XBMC thinks the Fire remote is a bluetooth keyboard, but I haven't seen a log with all the keys yet. With that info we can post improved keymaps for Fire TV users :)
I have the Frodo 12.3 version installed now on the Fire TV. Interface works great but I am also seeing stuttering watching a 720p h.264 mkv file.
I gave the PBS add on a go as well and saw some stuttering there too.

I'm not too disappointed though. With the exception of the xbmc stuttering (Which hopefully gets resolved) it ticks all the boxes for me. Netflix playback on this is better than on any other device I've used.
(2014-04-05, 03:41)AiRTiMe34 Wrote: @thess I've been able to get my Harmony One remote to control my Fire TV by just selecting my TV under devices and the CEC on my TV controls the Fire TV.

The Fire TV has CEC? I couldn't find any mention of that so I assumed no.

Edit: Searched again and confirmed it does. I guess I should of been patient when I turned up no results yesterday.
Speaking of remotes; is my Mele f10 pro likely to work without root?
(2014-04-05, 06:45)bnazza Wrote:
(2014-04-05, 06:12)rj2763 Wrote: Does the harmony remote on Ouya work with voice? say you are in the on screen text menu and instead of keyboarding can you speak to it?? I have been looking for the past two days on this and everything I find is on voxcomando which to my understanding is for windows ad cant be used on android alone....also I know about the android apps like Yatse and the Official XBMC remote however I do not want to use my phone, or a keyboard and mouse all I really want is to be able to do is say what I want typed. I have a fire tv coming tomorrow so this is not off topic really if there is a way to perform voice searches with a plugin on android let me know. I am interested in booting the fire directly to XBMC and and configuring the remote to perform voice search when the onscreen keyboard pops up

The Harmony One remote does not respond to voice commands. Believe me, I've tried. "Harmony... go get me a beer"...... nothing.

You just aren't asking for the right things. My Harmony responds well to "Sit" and "Stay".
please update first post, for instructions / latest build / info use:
http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Amazon_Fire_TV
Ok here are some test files that tend to cover all your bases. The birds one will stress the video playback of the device while the others are a bit more manageable pay attention tot he Monster one as it has a DTS audio track. All of these are smaller then 200mbs http://www.auby.no/files/video_tests/
XBMC Video playback working perfectly on the Amazon Fire TV
720p,1080i,1080p, and possible DTS working
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rHL42krl7IA
(2014-04-05, 08:16)DiegoMejia Wrote: XBMC Video playback workig perfectly on the Amazon Fire TV
720p,1080i,1080p, and possible DTS working
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rHL42krl7IA

Can you please just post a summary of what you did?
and what the video is about. The video is 7 minutes long and you can definitely explain it in text that will take me 30 seconds to read.
  • 25(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Amazon Fire TV for XBMC10