• 72(current)
Amazon Fire TV for XBMC
(2014-04-11, 23:36)jocala Wrote: If you want just windows adb w/o the sdk here's a package: adb for windows. No muss, no fuss, just adb. This works with xp and win7 haven't tried it with win8.x. Virus-checked, d/l from a reliable host, I packaged this when I was doing phone dev.

Which version of ADB is that? The download page says it's from 2012, so it isn't going to be compatible with 4.2.2 and newer security changes (having to "Trust" devices connecting via ADB over USB).. I know this device is doing ADB over wifi, which doesn't do the trust check, but it'd be best to have the newest version just in case you might use it for other stuff.
(2014-04-11, 23:19)thess Wrote: Remote tangent, the fix for the Ortek MCE IR problem I mentioned earlier (up/down keys getting double pressed) was to set the device 'command repeat' in the Harmony software for the device to 1. (Not 3, not 0, 1.) NOW I have my Harmony remote fully controlling the Fire and XBMC the way I want it to. (*Thinks about making snarky "boyfriend acceptance factor" joke, refrains*)

On another tangent: In the last 10 minutes, the Voice Search button on my Fire remote has stopped working. It appears to work, registers your voice volume, says "Thinking..." and never returns any results. Does anyone know if the Voice Search has to talk to Amazon servers to work? If anyone is reading this with the Fire in front of them, can you give your Voice Search a quick test and tell me if it's working? Wondering if something is down on Amazon's end. (Have restarted the Fire...it was literally working like 10 minutes ago.)

EDIT: It's working again now, out of nowhere. So I do think there's a cloud-side component to the Voice Search, maybe?

It's almost certainly cloud-based. If you look at how Google Now and Siri work, both stream the voice data directly to the cloud and get plaintext as well as command interpretations back. The exact implementation varies, but average Internet bandwidth has reached the point where it's simply much easier to do the recognition on a dedicated server.

It's a trend that we've seen over and over again- as Internet bandwidth has increased, the better choice for many purposes, from a user interaction perspective, has been to have remote servers actually work on data instead of having the user-facing device do it.
I haven't quite got the Harmony One perfected for both XBMC and FireTV yet, but the Plex Media Player profile gives you all the buttons to map with Flirc.. only problem is the current activity is not set to the Plex, so you have to go to that Device to control it.. once you do, all the controls work though.

If anyone finds a profile that has all the buttons to map, and is set as the current activity then I'd love to know.
(2014-04-12, 01:06)elmerohueso Wrote:
(2014-04-11, 23:36)jocala Wrote: If you want just windows adb w/o the sdk here's a package: adb for windows. No muss, no fuss, just adb. This works with xp and win7 haven't tried it with win8.x. Virus-checked, d/l from a reliable host, I packaged this when I was doing phone dev.

Which version of ADB is that? The download page says it's from 2012, so it isn't going to be compatible with 4.2.2 and newer security changes (having to "Trust" devices connecting via ADB over USB).. I know this device is doing ADB over wifi, which doesn't do the trust check, but it'd be best to have the newest version just in case you might use it for other stuff.
I had installed this program awhile back called Virtuous 10 Studio to decompile and recompile apks. I was having trouble with APKTool and this worked awesome. Just launched it and clicked on ADB console and boom, off and running. XDA thread here.
(2014-04-11, 21:08)elmerohueso Wrote:
(2014-04-11, 20:16)jingram Wrote: FYI installed the Netflix plugin mentioned above and it doesn't change the confluence menu at all. It simply adds a plug-in under videos and it doesn't run, although it shows properly installed.

Anybody running any skins that are working well that allow home screen menus to be changed?

You must change the Home screen addon shortcuts, via skin settings, to put it on your Home screen (Settings>Appearance>Skin>Settings). This is the same way to put any addon on your home screen. Confluence will work fine. Also, the method used in the addon to call the app requires Gotham.

So, to clarify, being able to put an addon shortcut on your Home screen is not a new thing. The only "new" thing is that Gotham lets you use the XBMC.StartAndroidActivity() function to start Android apps. This then allows you to place a shortcut on the Home screen to launch a given Android app, for anyone not using a skin that can put Favorites on the Home screen.

I've been all through the skin settings under (Settings>Appearance>Skin>Settings) and see absolutely no way to add a direct Menu Item/shortcut for Netflix or Hulu +. I'm looking to add them as a root menu item.
(2014-04-12, 01:25)jingram Wrote:
(2014-04-11, 21:08)elmerohueso Wrote:
(2014-04-11, 20:16)jingram Wrote: FYI installed the Netflix plugin mentioned above and it doesn't change the confluence menu at all. It simply adds a plug-in under videos and it doesn't run, although it shows properly installed.

Anybody running any skins that are working well that allow home screen menus to be changed?

You must change the Home screen addon shortcuts, via skin settings, to put it on your Home screen (Settings>Appearance>Skin>Settings). This is the same way to put any addon on your home screen. Confluence will work fine. Also, the method used in the addon to call the app requires Gotham.

So, to clarify, being able to put an addon shortcut on your Home screen is not a new thing. The only "new" thing is that Gotham lets you use the XBMC.StartAndroidActivity() function to start Android apps. This then allows you to place a shortcut on the Home screen to launch a given Android app, for anyone not using a skin that can put Favorites on the Home screen.

I've been all through the skin settings under (Settings>Appearance>Skin>Settings) and see absolutely no way to add a direct Menu Item/shortcut for Netflix or Hulu +. I'm looking to add them as a root menu item.

I don't think you can do it with Confluence because it doesn't see the Android Apps as a program addon. Try Ace skin. Favorite Netflix, then go to Ace, customize main menu then scroll down to FAVOURITE and you should be able to pick Netflix. This is on the Gotham release. It won't launch on the Frodo release.
Long time lurker first time poster. The ouya build is working great. Just a little choppy when I'm using mash up. Ice films works pretty damn good. The spmc was choppy for me though. Didn't change any settings though. I should add that I don't have surround sound and I use xbmc only for icefilms 1channel mash up and navix. I'm going to be getting a desktop soon for a video library soon though.
(2014-04-12, 01:17)haikuginger Wrote:
(2014-04-11, 23:19)thess Wrote: Remote tangent, the fix for the Ortek MCE IR problem I mentioned earlier (up/down keys getting double pressed) was to set the device 'command repeat' in the Harmony software for the device to 1. (Not 3, not 0, 1.) NOW I have my Harmony remote fully controlling the Fire and XBMC the way I want it to. (*Thinks about making snarky "boyfriend acceptance factor" joke, refrains*)

On another tangent: In the last 10 minutes, the Voice Search button on my Fire remote has stopped working. It appears to work, registers your voice volume, says "Thinking..." and never returns any results. Does anyone know if the Voice Search has to talk to Amazon servers to work? If anyone is reading this with the Fire in front of them, can you give your Voice Search a quick test and tell me if it's working? Wondering if something is down on Amazon's end. (Have restarted the Fire...it was literally working like 10 minutes ago.)

EDIT: It's working again now, out of nowhere. So I do think there's a cloud-side component to the Voice Search, maybe?

It's almost certainly cloud-based. If you look at how Google Now and Siri work, both stream the voice data directly to the cloud and get plaintext as well as command interpretations back. The exact implementation varies, but average Internet bandwidth has reached the point where it's simply much easier to do the recognition on a dedicated server.

It's a trend that we've seen over and over again- as Internet bandwidth has increased, the better choice for many purposes, from a user interaction perspective, has been to have remote servers actually work on data instead of having the user-facing device do it.
Very true. Something like that will always be cloud based also because they wouldn't want the actual code for the ai on the device itself.
I also tried the latest Gotham build (xbmc-20140411-88ab6ea-fixamcoutput-armeabi-v7a.apk) and can confirm that it works beautifully well with mediacodec OFF and libstagefright ON. No audio passthrough as mentioned.

thanks a ton! Koying
Anyone know how this could be used overseas and still access amazon Netflix and Xbmc stuff? Or is it possible
(2014-04-12, 02:20)ilovemymac Wrote: Anyone know how this could be used overseas and still access amazon Netflix and Xbmc stuff? Or is it possible

Yup with http://www.unblock-us.com/ .. never tried it but saw it earlier in this thread..!
(2014-04-12, 02:20)ilovemymac Wrote: Anyone know how this could be used overseas and still access amazon Netflix and Xbmc stuff? Or is it possible

You could do it with a VPN service like Private Internet Access, assuming you could install the app.
(2014-04-12, 01:06)elmerohueso Wrote:

EDIT:

<derp>
You're mistaken Smile

The archive contains Android Debug Bridge version 1.0.31. This version of adb ships with the current adt packages:

Code:
adt-bundle-linux-x86_64-20140321.zip
adt-bundle-mac-x86_64-20140321.zip
adt-bundle-windows-x86_64-20140321.zip

I use all three of these bundles to code for android.

It works perfectly well under Win7 and WinXP. If someone doesn't want to download the entire SDK they can use it with no problems to sideload apps. There are no security issues.
</derp>

EDIT:

Derp! I posted a link to an old upload. The current adb for windows 1.0.31. is available at this link. Apologies to elmerohueso
adbLink The Kodi Companion. Available for Windows, Mac & Linux.

I had the exact same experience and yes it is "cloud" based. God do I hate that buzz word. Seriously on what day did marketers decide that the word "internet" should be called "the cloud" and why did everyone agree with them? I suspect they were staring at a network chart when it happened.
(2014-04-11, 23:29)thess Wrote:
(2014-04-11, 18:45)jocala Wrote: I'm having trouble with the ORtek VRC-1100 for xbmc, can someone help?
I need to activate context menus,info,etc. The media play buttons seem to work out of the box.

I tried the keyboard.xml below, but it doesn't seem to work. It was posted in 2009, it may not be valid for frodo/gotham, idk.

I'm stumped.

snipped

Did you try pressing every button on the Ortek? One of the stock buttons brings up Info for me, maybe the one with I on it? Can't remember for sure, just press every one and write down what they do. I did have to use the KeyMap editor addon to map one of the Ortek's buttons to the Context menu, though. Worked fine.

Thanks for the reply. I'll have to check out this add-on.
adbLink The Kodi Companion. Available for Windows, Mac & Linux.
  • 72(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Amazon Fire TV for XBMC10