• 10(current)
[Project] Dual Audio Output support (Nexus/Matrix/Krypton/Jarvis/Isengard/Helix/...)
(2014-07-28, 17:49)lrusak Wrote: I don't understand why people do this. Why do you need a separate amp for music? Why not just use your AVR? Are you worried about audio quality or are you routing it into another room?

I use it to pump audio to the rest of my house through Zone2 of my AVR, which is analog-only, while the main room gets Pass-Through over HDMI.
(2014-07-28, 17:49)lrusak Wrote:
(2014-07-25, 17:22)rvsixer Wrote: Thank you for this dual audio patch. It really (finally) makes XBMC an all-in-one solution for me (HDMI out to AVR for home theatre, USB DAC out to component amp for music). Absolutely brilliant Nod .

I don't understand why people do this. Why do you need a separate amp for music? Why not just use your AVR? Are you worried about audio quality or are you routing it into another room?
Not to stray too far off topic, the amp is needed for the aforementioned USB DAC/headphone amp unit. Several advantages to doing it this way (better sound, less power draw, less air conditioning load, a cooler room which is very important in my situation, and I can listen to headphones with ONLY the USB DAC turned on everything else is turned off). Of course my dual audio output XMBC server (9-14W power draw) is on in all cases Smile .
(2014-07-25, 17:22)rvsixer Wrote: Thank you for this dual audio patch. It really (finally) makes XBMC an all-in-one solution for me (HDMI out to AVR for home theatre, USB DAC out to component amp for music). Absolutely brilliant Nod .

I don't understand why people do this. Why do you need a separate amp for music? Why not just use your AVR? Are you worried about audio quality or are you routing it into another room?

Hi lrusak.
I explained this few times on OE IRC and in OE Forum. Smile
My case:
1. I don't use AVR and i don't intend to buy one. But its not my whim.
I already have analog stereo only amplifier. It has analog audio output only. I need DAC to listen to my digital music library. It demands separate audio output. There is NO tv in this route. So HDMI is useless if I want to listen to the music. As i noticed, there are some users require same feature, because of more or less same reason.
2. I bought my audio set some years ago and i don't see any reason for selling it because OE doesn't support dual audio output. Thats the second reason.
3. I accept that sraue et al. don't consider this feature as important as OE is audio/video targeted. I accept that V component requires more work as is more complicated, thats why I'm very glad that DarkAngel2401 or else understand our needings. Smile
4. Thing i don't understand is OE stuff explanation why dual audio cannot be implemented. I read: in XBMC there is no support so OE doesn't support as well. As example of DarkAngel2401 work shows it can be done rather easily. May be its better to implement this to OE?

I still appreciate and admire (i did 2 or 3 donates and there will be more) all the work and stuff made by sraue and all. So please, read this voice as simple user feedback, not complain.
Hough!
Quote:3. I accept that sraue et al. don't consider this feature as important as OE is audio/video targeted.

This is not correct. As I explained in this thread, the point is that it is a huge effort to get this right.

Quote:4. Thing i don't understand is OE stuff explanation why dual audio cannot be implemented. I read: in XBMC there is no support so OE doesn't support as well. As example of DarkAngel2401 work shows it can be done rather easily. May be its better to implement this to OE?

You are wrong here. This cannot easily be implemented. What you see here is some kind of prototype. If we merged features in this state XBMC would break completely very soon.
OK. I accept this. Just will wait with even more patience. Smile)
It was my lame point of view what is easy and what is not.
Anyway thx author for this prototype before feature be ready for official release.
Smile
Respect.
I'm very exited to see this feature. Having a DAC via USB that can only handle 2.0, I need to switch between hdmi and the DAC depending if I want to view a non pass through supported movie or listen to music over the DAC.

The one final missing feature that makes xbmc the perfect all in one.. For me... For now Smile

Too bad it cannot be a default feature in OE. Personally for me it doesn't need to be dual.
I'm fine if a dedicated output could be set for music playback only.
In my estimation there are very few users who need dual audio, so I understand the developers point of view. Fortunately, the OP went through great effort to make an implementation of dual audio support available to the rest of us.

If you need dual audio, I can think of no finer way to show actual appreciation (AND at the same time meet your needs) than by applying the patch and using it. And if that's too much work, simply download and install the pre-patched distributions, it doesn't get any easier.

Then ENJOY till the future direction of XBMC reveals itself Nod .

In my case, I have in-ceiling speakers in most rooms and outdoors on the deck. I can use speaker B connections, but I can't match or control the volume with the much better surround speakers. Zone 2 on mine, and most other receivers, won't allow you pass the same digital output to both zones at the same time. So in my case I have a second older receiver connected via S/PDIF that drives the in-ceiling and outdoor speakers and my Pioneer Elite connected via HDMI to drive the surround speakers. Using the dual audio patch I now can music playing everywhere in and around the house at equal volume.

My wife is very hard of hearing and it's impossible to have one sound source with a volume which suits us both. So I listen through a 5.1 speaker system and she uses cordless headphones with the volume way up. I had to resort to using a HDMI splitter feeding an Atlona audio converter - total cost about £250, plus extra HDMI and power cables making the setup very messy. Dual audio would have made things so much simpler. But to be fair, I use MediaPortal as well as XBMC and there's no similar solution for MediaPortal.
HI there,

i'm sorry, but I'm a noob and have no clue what to do to install this patch.
I'm on Windows 7 and have updated today XBMC to 13.1

I'm sorry if this is really a silly/easy question but I've seen the whole thread and found no answer.

Thanks in advance
First post:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/7ia1irhex30mpx...o-r017.zip
(2014-08-05, 21:18)light_in_tunel Wrote: i'm sorry, but I'm a noob and have no clue what to do to install this patch.

Lol, really. Even I looked around a lot and I ain't got a clue how to install a "patch". Thankfully the OP has also posted links to full installation packages at the bottom of the first post. I installed my version of Openelec from there. I presume the Windows link should do it for you.
Dual Audio for OpenELEC 4.2 Beta 3 (aka Version 4.1.3) is available:
(Generic/x86_64 and ATV/i386)

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/vt3zfnb1i9lja...WU8jouvsma
LibreELEC DualAudio builds - 7.0.2: Generic.x86_64, RPi.arm, RPi2.arm, imx6.arm, WeTek_Core.arm, WeTek_Play.arm
Just went from OE 4.0.7 to OE-DA 4.0.4. Seems to work fine. I did seem to notice quite a lower volume on the dual channel. Still trying to rule-out AV Receiver differences.

I'm running an Arctic box.
First audio is set to HDMI, with pass-through enabled.
Dual audio is set to DAC via S/PDIF (although connected through USB, analog or s/pdif only option through driver).

DAC is 2 channel.
Performance wise I was worried slow Arctic would not manage downmixing 5.1 DTS to 2 channel DAC on dual channel. But it rarely goes over 25%. So that's good. Did not try DTS-MA yet.

This Dual Audio really is a dream come true! Awesome feature.
Finally listening to music through DAC without the need for switching output channels.
Thanks to everyone involved!
Let me know if I can help testing.
Just seen in release notes of 4.0.7 that a low volume issue due to alsa drivers has been fixed.
Might solve my low volume issue as well.
Maybe I'll feel brave enough to try to build 4.0.7 + DA patch myself one of these days...
  • 10(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[Project] Dual Audio Output support (Nexus/Matrix/Krypton/Jarvis/Isengard/Helix/...)9