• 541(current)
Linux ChromeBox Kodi E-Z Setup Script (LibreELEC/Linux+Kodi) [2017/02/21]
Hi Matt

I'm trying to update my Chromebox to the latest coreboot 4.10 release. I have a Ununtu live usb in the chromebox and Ubuntu is booted. From a terminal I have typed in cd; curl -LO https://mrchromebox.tech/firmware-util.sh && sudo bash firmware-util.sh and pressed Enter. I get the following error back, 0curl: (35) error:1407742E:SSL routines:SSL_GET_SERVER_HELLO:tlsv1 alert protocol version

Any suggestions as to where I might be going wrong? I am connected to the internet and can open a browser plus surf to sites.

Thanks
(2019-09-09, 02:05)ex-r-wagon Wrote: Hi Matt

I'm trying to update my Chromebox to the latest coreboot 4.10 release. I have a Ununtu live usb in the chromebox and Ubuntu is booted. From a terminal I have typed in cd; curl -LO https://mrchromebox.tech/firmware-util.sh && sudo bash firmware-util.sh and pressed Enter. I get the following error back, 0curl: (35) error:1407742E:SSL routines:SSL_GET_SERVER_HELLO:tlsv1 alert protocol version

Any suggestions as to where I might be going wrong? I am connected to the internet and can open a browser plus surf to sites.

Thanks

I just ran it here, and no issue. Only thing I can guess is that your date/time were off, and that caused the SSL certs to be invalid, leading to the download failure
(2019-09-09, 19:27)Matt Devo Wrote:
(2019-09-09, 02:05)ex-r-wagon Wrote: Hi Matt

Thanks

I just ran it here, and no issue. Only thing I can guess is that your date/time were off, and that caused the SSL certs to be invalid, leading to the download failure 
Bingo! That was my mistake. I seldom use Ubuntu so I did not remember to set the time and date. Thank you.
Hi All (but mostly Matt),

I'm in a bit of a jam... my chromebox has been working nicely for so long that I forgot exactly what I did to set it up and I now need to make some changes.
It's an Asus (haswell) chromebox setup using Matt's script in a dual boot configuration.
When I turn it on I get a blue screen with 3 icons for the 3 possible bootable partitions - sda1 (EFI) sda2 (LibreElec) sda3 (Lubuntu Zesty).
There doesn't seem to be any trace of ChromeOS left on it.
I need to either re-install the OS on sda3 (replace w/ a more recent version of lubuntu or even Gallium) OR just convert it back to a pure libreelec box (the lubuntu install is fried and hangs on boot).
I have tried to generate recovery media to perform a factory reset using the chrome store recovery app but it fails at the same spot in step 3 on 4 different brands of USB sticks in multiple ports and 2 different brands of SDcard via 2 different adapters.... I can only assume it doesn't like my PC.
Does anyone have any suggestions that might help me move forward?

As always huge thanks to Matt for the amazing work he's done... I love my chromebox and I honestly don't know what I'll do when it dies.

TC
(2019-09-22, 06:47)TychoCaine Wrote: Hi All (but mostly Matt),

I'm in a bit of a jam... my chromebox has been working nicely for so long that I forgot exactly what I did to set it up and I now need to make some changes.
It's an Asus (haswell) chromebox setup using Matt's script in a dual boot configuration.
When I turn it on I get a blue screen with 3 icons for the 3 possible bootable partitions - sda1 (EFI) sda2 (LibreElec) sda3 (Lubuntu Zesty).
I need to either re-install the OS on sda3 (replace w/ a more recent version of lubuntu or even Gallium) OR just convert it back to a pure libreelec box (the lubuntu install is fried and hangs on boot).
I have tried to generate recovery media to perform a factory reset using the chrome store recovery app but it fails at the same spot in step 3 on 4 different brands of USB sticks in multiple ports and 2 different brands of SDcard via 2 different adapters.... I can only assume it doesn't like my PC.

As always huge thanks to Matt for the amazing work he's done... I love my chromebox and I honestly don't know what I'll do when it dies.

TC

since you are already running my UEFI firmware, ChromeOS recovery mode no longer exists, and recovery media is useless (unless you were to restore the stock firmware). At this point, you can simply create UEFI bootable install media for whatever OS you want, boot it, and do a clean install. I would go ahead and update to the latest UEFI firmware as well, once you have a bootable Linux ISO or install.
(2019-09-22, 07:23)Matt Devo Wrote:
(2019-09-22, 06:47)TychoCaine Wrote: Hi All (but mostly Matt),

TC

since you are already running my UEFI firmware, ChromeOS recovery mode no longer exists, and recovery media is useless (unless you were to restore the stock firmware). At this point, you can simply create UEFI bootable install media for whatever OS you want, boot it, and do a clean install. I would go ahead and update to the latest UEFI firmware as well, once you have a bootable Linux ISO or install. 
Thanks Matt... so just to clarify could I boot off a LibreElec USB, recombine the partitions and end up with just LibreElec and nothing else?
Or am I now perpetually stuck with dual boot and 2 partitions?
TC
(2019-09-22, 12:29)TychoCaine Wrote: Thanks Matt... so just to clarify could I boot off a LibreElec USB, recombine the partitions and end up with just LibreElec and nothing else?
Or am I now perpetually stuck with dual boot and 2 partitions?
TC

just boot LE install media, do a clean install, and you'll be good to go Smile
Hey Matt, can you confirm that Gallium OS 3.0 for Haswell does not initialize the ethernet network adapter in LIVE boot mode?  I have a Haswell CN60 (Panther) and had to go back to Gallium OS 2.1 to get the adapter to work.
(2019-10-20, 01:22)MrBuyakah Wrote: Hey Matt, can you confirm that Gallium OS 3.0 for Haswell does not initialize the ethernet network adapter in LIVE boot mode?  I have a Haswell CN60 (Panther) and had to go back to Gallium OS 2.1 to get the adapter to work.
it does seem like there are some issues with GalliumOS 3.0 and ethernet interfaces. Given there's no advantages to using GalliumOS on a Chromebox, I'd just use whatever distro tickles your fancy
(2019-10-20, 02:20)Matt Devo Wrote:
(2019-10-20, 01:22)MrBuyakah Wrote: Hey Matt, can you confirm that Gallium OS 3.0 for Haswell does not initialize the ethernet network adapter in LIVE boot mode?  I have a Haswell CN60 (Panther) and had to go back to Gallium OS 2.1 to get the adapter to work.
it does seem like there are some issues with GalliumOS 3.0 and ethernet interfaces. Given there's no advantages to using GalliumOS on a Chromebox, I'd just use whatever distro tickles your fancy 
Thanks, Matt.  I was just looking for the most efficient distro to boot and use your script.
Hi
I am trying to reinstall Libreelec on an Asus chromebox CN60.
When I run the E-Z Setup Script I get the following error:

Error downloading cbfstol; cannot proceed.
Unable to download cbfstool utility; cannot continue

Any idea?
(2019-11-02, 20:55)eo62 Wrote: Hi

Any idea?
have seen that occasionally, preforming a Factory Reset via ChromeOS recovery resolves it
(2019-11-02, 21:15)Matt Devo Wrote:
(2019-11-02, 20:55)eo62 Wrote: Hi

Any idea?
have seen that occasionally, preforming a Factory Reset via ChromeOS recovery resolves it 

I tried the Factory Reset via ChromeOS recovery with no improvement; but then I resolved switching to cabled LAN.
Probably the Asus WIFI has some incompatibility with my router.
Thank you anyway!
@matt Devo,
please pardon the lame question.
Do you think a HP Chromebox CB1-014 would make a decent low budget media server?
I thought I would run Gallium OS and Emby Server with NFS Shares, that would be it.

I currently run LibreElec and Kodi on it.
My currant Zero budget server is on its last leg.
So i thought i would use the Chromebox as a server and pick up a new Raspberry Pi 4 as a replacement client.

I am grateful for any insight you may have to offer.
(2019-11-26, 02:53)mxlance Wrote: @matt Devo,
please pardon the lame question.
Do you think a HP Chromebox CB1-014 would make a decent low budget media server?
I thought I would run Gallium OS and Emby Server with NFS Shares, that would be it.

I currently run LibreElec and Kodi on it.
My currant Zero budget server is on its last leg.
So i thought i would use the Chromebox as a server and pick up a new Raspberry Pi 4 as a replacement client.

I am grateful for any insight you may have to offer.

I would probably run something like OpenMediaVault, but don't see a problem unless you're connecting multiple external drives (since limited by USB3 bandwidth) or expecting Emby to do heavy transcoding. I'd also go with the N2 over the pi4
  • 541(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
ChromeBox Kodi E-Z Setup Script (LibreELEC/Linux+Kodi) [2017/02/21]37