Req Dynamic Range Compression Audio
Music 
Please add a setting for "sound compression" aka "Night Mode". To work for all formats (not only AC3 DTS). Many movies and concerts have a very large dynamic range, which is not always acceptable. Without this setting, I would not use XBMC on Raspberry Pi. Many players (software and hardware) have this setting.

Or at least make a plugin. I tried http://wiki.xbmc.org/?title=advancedsettings.xml > Audio, but it does not work. Anyway, I would like a normal GUI setting. "Normalize levels on downmix" it's partial solution. And only for 6ch, not stereo.

I see compression can be obtained by increasing the "volume amplification" (+ activated internal limiter for clipping protection). It's better than nothing. But it looks like a "crutch" and not very comfortable.
Stuff like this is generally the receiver's job, which is also why all recievers have an option for it.
True,
But using a pi in the bedroom for example (or guest room/hotels/kiosks etc) is likely not going to a receiver, but instead directly into a TV.

For example, I use xbmc in loads of places including laptops while on a train and have similar issues with wide dynamic range movies etc.

At home on the main htpc drc takes control. But on iPads, laptops, pi, phones etc hooking an avr (to a Samsung galaxy for example) seems like overkill Wink

He has a really valid point Big Grin
(2014-06-01, 15:12)negge Wrote: Stuff like this is generally the receiver's job, which is also why all recievers
I'm use 2.1 analog speakers on the linear output. I don't need receiver and 5.1 sound.
I think that this will be possible over DSP addons/presets once this feature is in
we already have dynamic range compression aka volume amplification: http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Video_playback
ha, I always wondered what "volume amplification" is for, but never cared enough to search for it. This should probably be moved to audio settings so that it can be used as sort of preset one could toggle by a button or keypress. Can't imagine one would use this feature on a per movie basis.
(2014-06-07, 13:28)FernetMenta Wrote: we already have dynamic range compression aka volume amplification
Volume amplification its not a DRC. Its just volume amplification Smile There is compression (limiter) only when clipping protection.
I should know because I have written the new audio engine and implemented this.
My AVR only has night mode for DD and since most of my movies are DTS this is useless. I'd like to see the option.
increase volume amplification. that compresses range against upper edge. use volume of your amp or xbmc master volume to move this band at a level of your convenience.

That IS dynamic range compression. If this is not enough for you please send a pull request with an update.
(2014-06-07, 19:36)FernetMenta Wrote: increase volume amplification. that compresses range against upper edge. use volume of your amp or xbmc master volume to move this band at a level of your convenience.
That IS dynamic range compression. If this is not enough for you please send a pull request with an update.
Movies have different volume (average). For each film individually have to configure "amplification volume." I would like just ON/OFF (or Full/Light/OFF) (Besides its useful for remote control)
Like this:

For example my hardware player has such setting and I am very satisfied.
Ok, now I get what you want.
Will it be possible to add a boost (let's say +3 or +4 db) to the center channel after the downmix from 5.1 to 2.0?. It's annoying to use the tv speakers to watch a 5.1 movie and have the voices so much softer than all the other sounds, even after disabling "normalize levels on downmix".
Would it be possible for this to also work for Audio Add Ons and not only for Movies/Video? I have noticed that when I change media I have to adjust the volume.

Also, where are this settings saved in disc. Is there a file that I can just copy and send to all my XBMC devices once I figure out what are the settings I want?

Thanks,
Unifab

(2014-06-07, 20:49)DenisLp Wrote:
(2014-06-07, 19:36)FernetMenta Wrote: increase volume amplification. that compresses range against upper edge. use volume of your amp or xbmc master volume to move this band at a level of your convenience.
Movies have different volume (average). For each film individually have to configure "amplification volume." I would like just ON/OFF (or Full/Light/OFF) (Besides its useful for remote control)
Like this:

For example my hardware player has such setting and I am very satisfied.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Dynamic Range Compression Audio2