• 4(current)
Linux Minix Neo X8-H review
(2014-06-20, 22:17)voip-ninja Wrote: No 1080p/24 support and no "match refresh" option

I can't speak for the 24p support (although the MINIX box sits let you select 24Hz 1080p within the Android UI), but I've just checked the build of xbmc running on my galaxy s3 (12.3) and it DOES allow 'match refresh'. Nod
(2014-06-21, 09:37)PantsOnFire Wrote:
(2014-06-20, 22:17)voip-ninja Wrote: No 1080p/24 support and no "match refresh" option

I can't speak for the 24p support (although the MINIX box sits let you select 24Hz 1080p within the Android UI), but I've just checked the build of xbmc running on my galaxy s3 (12.3) and it DOES allow 'match refresh'. Nod
I don't know what is "match refresh", but no one Android device supports "Adjust display refresh rate to match video" feature. And no one Android device supports true HDMI 23.976 Hz and and 59.94 Hz output.
OK I'll take your word for it. The option is actually selectable, but doesn't actually work currently.. Fair enough.
(2014-06-21, 09:51)kokap Wrote: I don't know what is "match refresh", but no one Android device supports "Adjust display refresh rate to match video" feature. And no one Android device supports true HDMI 23.976 Hz and and 59.94 Hz output.

You're right.

I regularly look through the kernel source code released for the various Android boxes. The only one I have ever seen with true 23.976/59.94 support was from Telechips. I don't know if they actually exposed that support in any media player but at least the hardware seemed to support it. Everyone else uses 24.0/60.0 which causes occasional frame skips/drops.
Can anyone confirm if it does support DTS-HD or Dolby TrueHD?
(2014-06-21, 20:43)jrdnlc Wrote: Can anyone confirm if it does support DTS-HD or Dolby TrueHD?
+1... does it?
[H]i-[d]eft [M]edia [K]een [V]ideosaurus
My Family Room Theater
Please advise where I can access the source code for your customised XBMC.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
Decided to get one of these, a very brief "review"
1) Hardware performs very well no complaints and XBMC runs well too. For those who have a H.264, DVD/BD collection sitting on a NAS and not fussed about 24hz stuff it's fine for job.

2) Dolby/DTS pass-through works, dont know if HD audio pass-through works as I dont have HD sound system.

3) The Android skin they have on it is basic but usable, it's really just app drawers even though they look like MS metro tiles.

4) My biggest complaint is the remote, no media buttons of any kind so you have to bring up the OSD to pause or stop video, if your like me and get interrupted a lot this is not so good. MiniX do sell an RF remote which I also bought with it and this actually has play/pause so it's a lot better and much more responsive. If you plan on getting one get the remote, the RF remote does cause a cursor to appear in XBMC when using the back button but you can hide it at the bottom edge of the screen and it stays there as long as you dont exit XBMC.

5) Bad for Netflix, stock remote is totally useless cannot control Netflix, you need RF air mouse and Netflix video is SD no HD stream.
Thanks for all the info, I'm sure others will appreciate it too. I notice geekbuying has brought it down to £90 now. Nice to see that :-)
Depending on what Google announces in 2 days (rumored Android TV), it will be interesting to see how the Android media player landscape changes (like what Amazon did with Fire TV).
[H]i-[d]eft [M]edia [K]een [V]ideosaurus
My Family Room Theater
I can just see how this will pan out.. It will be new, it will be exciting. And everyone well be excited because it's a Google product.. And then.. Once the dust has settled, ppl will be asking.. Can it play mkv? And the answer well likely be no. And there we have it.

I think you could probably make a meme out of that. 'Does it play mkv?'
I add to the fact that the standard remote is not great. I was lucky to get the M1 air mouse included on a pre-order, which is much better to use with the x8.
(2014-06-25, 09:21)PantsOnFire Wrote: I can just see how this will pan out.. It will be new, it will be exciting. And everyone well be excited because it's a Google product.. And then.. Once the dust has settled, ppl will be asking.. Can it play mkv? And the answer well likely be no. And there we have it.

I'm surprised that there isn't a popular meme on this forum yet that says 'Can it run XBMC?', 'Yeah, but can it run XBMC?', or 'Y U NO RUN XBMC?!'

https://www.google.se/?gws_rd=ssl#q=%22c...un+xbmc%22

Example: OK so this company released a new operating system / media player hardware platform. The specs looks great, but does it run XBMC?
(2014-06-25, 09:21)PantsOnFire Wrote: I can just see how this will pan out.. It will be new, it will be exciting. And everyone well be excited because it's a Google product.. And then.. Once the dust has settled, ppl will be asking.. Can it play mkv? And the answer well likely be no. And there we have it.

None of the boxes from the big outfits are going to support MKV let alone XBMC because in the minds of the industry MKV == pirate.
How to verify if it does output 23,976 fps in xbmc ?
  • 4(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Minix Neo X8-H review2