Solved Musicbrainz Picard Tagging Issues.... Solved Finally?
Quote:MartijnKaijser added this to the Helix 14.0-alpha3 milestone on Aug 2

Looks like Helix only at this point. I think they are done with the Gotham updates aren't they?
I saw that in Matijn's link, too bad tho, you'd think a fix like this would be added asap, seeing as Helix is still in alpha Huh
Hi Everyone!
Thanks for this post that was really helpful in my fixing the library problems I had !!

But now I''m facing another issue in the scraping of my music with Xbmc.

I'll summarize my problem:

1. I have an album of Artist X correctly tagged with picard
2. I have an album of Artist X tagged manually (but correctly, Album Artist as X etc..)
3. I scrap both albums using the online override option (I need this option as I have lots of multi artists albums and otherwise my artist library is totally messed up)
4. My two albums are recognized
5. I have two artists X in the library with EXACTLY the same name and artwork/info (the include artists only in compliations is not ticked)
6. One of the artists is pointing towards the homemade album and the other one towards the MusicBrainz album.

Well I got a "fix" for this which is :
1. Only Scrap the Album of Artist X tagged with Picard
2. Add the Homemade Album & Refesh Library.
3. Everything is ok, 2 albums, 1artist X pointing towards both albums.

It is annoying but it works...
It's like XBMC will only create the right artist entry with the MB Album using certainly the MB tag Album Artist.

I have tried adding manually the MUSICBRAINZ ALBUM ARTIST ID tag of Artist X to my Homemade album but it doesn't change a thing. I still have to first scrap the album tagged with MBPicard. And I don't understand why it doesn't work this way... Maybe I'm doing something wrong (what is the exact spelling of the MusicBrainz Tags I have to add ? I'm just adding MUSICBRAINZ ALBUM ARTIST ID as a tag Field in MP3Tag)

Does anyone have a fix for this?

Thanks !
@LeKnain I have the same issue with a fee artists but have not had a chance to investigate. Thank you for this info.
first_time_user (wiki) | free content (wiki) | forum rules (wiki) | PVR (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)

IMPORTANT:
The official Kodi version does not contain any content what so ever. This means that you should provide your own content from a local or remote storage location, DVD, Blu-Ray or any other media carrier that you own. Additionally Kodi allows you to install third-party plugins that may provide access to content that is freely available on the official content provider website. The watching or listening of illegal or pirated content which would otherwise need to be paid for is not endorsed or approved by Team Kodi.
(2014-09-30, 17:25)LeKnain Wrote: Does anyone have a fix for this?

Need full debug log and example of your tags.

According to the source code for mp3 id3v2 tag format, in the TXXX frame Kodi recognizes

Code:
if "MUSICBRAINZ ARTIST ID" SetMusicBrainzArtistID
if "MUSICBRAINZ ALBUM ID" SetMusicBrainzAlbumID
if "MUSICBRAINZ ALBUM ARTIST ID" SetMusicBrainzAlbumArtistID
if "MUSICBRAINZ ALBUM ARTIST" SetAlbumArtist
if "REPLAYGAIN_TRACK_GAIN" SetReplayGainTrackGain
if "REPLAYGAIN_ALBUM_GAIN" SetReplayGainAlbumGain
if "REPLAYGAIN_TRACK_PEAK" SetReplayGainTrackPeak
if "REPLAYGAIN_ALBUM_PEAK" SetReplayGainAlbumPeak
if "ALBUMARTIST" SetAlbumArtist
if "ALBUM ARTIST" SetAlbumArtist

I believe it will force any entry to upper case so that shouldn't be a problem.

scott s.
maintainer of skin  Aeon MQ5 mods for post-Gotham Kodi releases:
Matrix see: Aeon MQ5 Mod Matrix release thread
Nexus see: Aeon MQ5 Mod Nexus release thread
Aeon MQ 5 skin and addon repo 11.1.0
I think its a different issue then that, my guess is the logic is something like this:

If the artist/album with the MBID's is added first, then kodi will assume the user want's all subsequent artists with the same name to be under that original MBID artist.

If the artist/album without the MBID's is added first, any subsequent artists with the same name will be grouped together. EXCEPT, if that artist with the same name has MBID's, because kodi assumes the user knows what they are doing and is trying to differentiate between the already added artist with the same name.

Once again, that's only an assumption. I really wish I could read code and make sense of it
(2014-07-31, 10:50)Simon6785 Wrote: That's not solving all the Problems. I converted my whole library to 2.4, but still getting more then one artist entry for one album (feat. xyz etc). Sometimes there are two absolutley identical artist entrys with the same albums inside. If i check the "do not display artist in compilations", some "real" artists are missing from the list. (Like I have one johnny cash "best of" album. without the option checked, i get johnny cash as an artist and 20 others, cash feat xyz. Checking the option everything is dissapearing, eaven Johnny Cash itselve...) But other "feat" entrys will stay on the list when checking the option.

Check out my picard guide in the hints and tip forum. I found a plugin that removes all those pesky "Feat. xyz" in the artist names.

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=204785
Big Grin 
Hi Helta

Great post and work around, thank you. The problem I have is that I really do not want to have to use 2.4 just for XBMC. I'm currently re-tagging my whole music collection with MB Picard, and so this time tagging in a way that will suit long term, and for use with different media players/editors. I'm tagging then in a 'standardized' way to suit the majority of players so as I don't have to re-tag again when I decide to use a different media player in the future. I know I know that there is no 100% standardized way, but certain things like the semicolon to separate 2.3 multi value tags seems to work in many different players/editors, at least the ones I've tested so far, such as MediaMonkey, fb2k, MP3tag and XBMC (via advancedsettings.xml).

Today I updated from Eden to Gotham (LONG overdue!) to check newly MB tagged MP3's, and sure enough I discovered the same problem that you now fixed... but as mentioned, I really do not want to use 2.4 at this point. As such I've spent this afternoon, trying every combination to get your end results without needing to use 2.4, combinations that you have probably already tried, and of course I failed. I though having changed the separator to "; " in advancedsettings.xml this would work, and while this does work for other tags, it doesn't seem to work for separating artist.

Just before giving up, I thought I'd give that latest Kodi nightly a try ( KodiSetup-20141109-4df0ac9-master), and would you 'Adam & Eve' it, it works with 2.3! Didn't even have to add advancedsettings.xml. Big thanks to jmarshall and team for adding different separators possibilities! Big Grin

Here's my MB settings, with Last.fm.Plus installed which gives you the option to choose which separator to use (Join multiple ID3v2 tags with).

MB Settings

ID3 v2.3 tagged track

ID3 v2.3 - Kodi with "Override song tags with online information" turned ON

ID3 v2.3 - Kodi with "Override song tags with online information" turned OFF

With "Override song tags.." turned on, all songs feat. Faith Evans for example will appear under one artist 'Faith Evens'. Having "Override song tags.." turned off, as you can see, creates separate entries for feat artists, but still populates artwork for the featured artists. I like this as it means when listening to a particular artist, I will only be listening to their actual songs. I think I will prefer this as often when an artist is features on another's song, sometimes it can be very short, so for the most part you are listening to another artist when you only really wanted to listen to that specific artist you selected to listen to. [/align]

To be honest though I'm still not sure of any further implications of having "Override song tags with online information" turned off? After googling I'm still not 100% sure exactly what it does? I know it uses the MBID's, but is this for simply updating purposes? It mentions in the settings that it 'will overrride anything you have set in your song tags'. Really wouldn't want that, unless it's overriding from the MD database? And if a track has already been tagged via Picard, why would it need overriding?

I know in the above example it uses the 'MusicBrainz Artist Id' to separate artist, but then when this is turned off, how does Kodi, or perhaps Universal Scraper, identify the correct artwork for tracks with featured artists?
AFAIK, the "override song tags" works like this:

when a song file is scanned, the artist, album artist, and album names are entered into the music database. If they are provided, the musicbrainz artist id and musicbrainz album id are added to the appropriate library entries, based on a simple first artist is matched to first mbid (in the case of multiple artists). When "override" is on, the scraper uses the mbid to query musicbrainz, and whatever text musicbrainz returns as the artist name, or album title (as appropriate) is stored in place of whatever the tag text was. So in this case it looks like eg "112 feat. Mase" is first entered into the library, and the first mb artist Id is added to it. Then the second mb artist id is added as a new artist. When "override" is on, the artist mb artist id is used to query mb which returns "112" as the artist and this replaces "112 feat. Mase" in the library.

Now the question is how the scanner / tag reader deals with "feat." in the artist tag. I don't use it and have no experience with it so can't help. But ISTM that it should treat "feat." as an artist separator, the same as if the tag was "112 / Mase". But I can tell you from experience that XBMC/Kodi doesn't like multiple artists in the "artist" tag for ID3 v2.3 tags. For this reason I don't use them in MP3 (I use APE, I think others have had success with ID3 v2.4 tags).

scott s.
I use a script in picard to remove the featured artists.

See my guide above.
Kodi does now separate feat artist with override turn on for ID3 v2.3, as seen in my first Kodi image above. That was the main reason for my post, although admittedly I do tend to go 'around the houses' before getting to my point! Big Grin

It appears you can use different separators for MBID's and Kodi will recognize them, but if you want to use a different separator (like semicolon) for other tags such as genre, you still need to use advancedsettings.xml.

scott967 - Thanks for explaining the process! I kinda got my head around it now. Never knew MP3 tagging could get so complex! For some reason I was thinking this option would 'overwrite' tags, where as it's just overriding then (it was a long day!). Just to confirm, there is no way Kodi can overwrite tags is there? What about Universal Scraper? Where is that info stored please?

For anyone else wondering then, for what I can figure in my examples above, the 'Override song tags with online information' in summary does this...

OFF = Kodi will read 'Artist' tag.
ON = Kodi will read MusicBrainz Artist Id

Still wondering though, with the option turned OFF, how did Kodi/Universal Scraper identify and use the correct artwork for the featured artists? This wasn't due to leftovers as I deleted music database before re-scanning for each test. Perhaps the 'artists' tag has something to do with it? Noticed that in MB Picard. I'm sure it's a new additional. Asked in Picard forum, but no one is quite sure how this is used. If media players could use this, then there would be no need to use MB artist ID as it seems to be a duplicate.

zag - Thank you. I'm aware of that plugin and the various others like it, but I'm opting to keep featured artists as Picard default. One good reason for keeping as is, is for those players that do not support MBID's, such as MediaMoneky, where these featured artists will still show up in results search. I know the plugin you use moves feat artist to the comments, but I'm already copying 'Mood's to comments so I can create smartplay lists based on these in Kodi.
(2014-11-10, 19:07)jackhulk Wrote: scott967 - Thanks for explaining the process! I kinda got my head around it now. Never knew MP3 tagging could get so complex! For some reason I was thinking this option would 'overwrite' tags, where as it's just overriding then (it was a long day!). Just to confirm, there is no way Kodi can overwrite tags is there? What about Universal Scraper? Where is that info stored please?

For anyone else wondering then, for what I can figure in my examples above, the 'Override song tags with online information' in summary does this...

OFF = Kodi will read 'Artist' tag.
ON = Kodi will read MusicBrainz Artist Id

Still wondering though, with the option turned OFF, how did Kodi/Universal Scraper identify and use the correct artwork for the featured artists?

1. Kodi doesn't touch tags. All you do is affect what is stored in the music library.

2. If MBID is provided in tags, it is used for scraping all the "additional details" about an artist or album, that is, what isn't obtained from tags such as artwork, moods, year formed, bio, etc. If MBID is not provided, scraper attempts to get the MBID fby querying MB with the text artist name / album. But in this case I don't think it saves the MBID in the library (would have to go back and experiment on this point though).

3. The problem with MP3 files is that the "normal" tagging format is ID3v1 and ID3v2.3. ID3v1 is pretty much ignored these days. v2.3 has a problem in that there wasn't much allowance for multiple entries in tags. The only ones in the spec are for artist and composer, and it is required that the separator is "/". This creates the so-called "AC/DC" problem where "/" can't be used in an artist name because it is interpreted as a multi-artist. Since there isn't any standard for multi-entries in other tags, each tag software and reader uses its own invented standard. XBMC/Kodi uses " / " by default (can be changed in advancedsettings. The problem is, that doesn't help in artist tag since most tag writers/editors won't allow " / " in the artist tag as it is contrary to the standard. ID3 v2.4 gets around this by using a non-printing character as a tag separator for any tag, so it is possible to simply tell XBMC/Kodi to use that and it should be compatible with the music library and also tagging software. Unfortunately, reading of 2.4 tags isn't widespread so if you use other players they might not understand the 2.4 tags.

scott s.
Thanks scott. A week ago your answer 3, while excellently explained, I still wouldn't of had a clue, but this last week I've spent WAY too long learning about tagged, so now fully understand the pro's and con's of the different versions. Tonight I've been learning about ReplayGain. Also need to decide on music player, to use in addition of Kodi (of course Big Grin ). Heard good things about MusicBee so been checking it out, and so far, so good.

I prefer to stick with ID3.2.3 for compatibility reasons, although it would be great if ID3v2.4 was widely accepted as I'd much prefer to use that. I find that most media players/editors accept semicolon as separator, so that's what I use when tagging in ID3v2.3. After jmarshall raised this request, the various separators for MBID's only (not standard tags) are now accepted and read by Kodi, not just for ID3v2.4, but also for ID3v2.3, as demonstrated in my first post. Separator for standard tags (artists, genres etc) can be changed in advancedsettings.xml as always.

Anyone any thoughts on this...

(2014-11-10, 19:07)jackhulk Wrote: Still wondering though, with the option turned OFF, how did Kodi/Universal Scraper identify and use the correct artwork for the featured artists? This wasn't due to leftovers as I deleted music database before re-scanning for each test. Perhaps the 'artists' tag has something to do with it? Noticed that in MB Picard. I'm sure it's a new additional. Asked in Picard forum, but no one is quite sure how this is used. If media players could use this, then there would be no need to use MB artist ID as it seems to be a duplicate.
thanks helta for the explanation, it makes a big improvement in organising the library
I experience problems at the next stage. I have tagged all my MP3’s with the MBID’s using Picard. Then did a database rebuild using the options “download additional info during updates” ON and “override song tags with online info” ON. For both scrapers (artist and album) using Universal.

Browsing the library by Genre, Artist or Album looks good for me. But when I go browsing an album, I see the artist name twice! It looks like the format [artist]/[artist] – [song].
This strange behaviour is only available when there is more than 1 MBID in the artist-tag.

Eg. This is visible during browsing

Eg. This is visible in Picard
image hosting

I think it is an Kodi/scraping issue, as the same value is visible in the music database

That excludes that it is in Skin issue. I tried both Confluence and Aeon Nox, and both have the same problem.

I also did some experimenting switching tags from ID3v2.3 to ID3v2.4 (same strange behaviour) and also double checked the advanced music library separator setting. All options result in the same behaviour of showing the artist name twice.

As mentioned earlier the wrong artist name is visible in the browsing window, but also in the playing music windows.
Main screen

And in the music full screen

So can somebody explain me why the artist name is shown twice ? Is the way of tagging incorrect or is there an issue within the Kodi scraper ?

If you like to know why it is a problem for me ? I often use Aeon Nox as skin and that is showing the artist fanart slideshow in the background. And this is not working anymore coz it retrieves the wrong value from Kodi.
I think the above problem is the same as
http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=198149

So there are more users with the same experience Big Grin

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Musicbrainz Picard Tagging Issues.... Solved Finally?0