• 14(current)
[AirPlay][Warning] Don't update to iOS8 if you want AirPlay
(2014-11-19, 13:30)dennis3001 Wrote: Hi guys.

Here's my experience with Kodi Beta on Android and iPhone 5/iOS8.1:

- Initially XMBC (localhost) is recognized as video device properly and videos/music play fine without any problems.
- After being idle for awhile and trying to connect again - it is recognized as audio only device and only sound is playing.

It gets solved after disabling/enabling AirPlay in Kodi settings a few times.
Not sure if it's documented anywhere (other than in threads like this) but I don't think Airplay currently works correctly on Android devices because the 10 second re-announcement hack doesn't work for Android.

So I wouldn't expect it to be working reliably (always detected as a video device) any time soon on Android unfortunately.
Kodi 18.3 - Mid 2007 Mac Mini, 4GB, 2TB HD, Windows 7 SP1
Kodi 18.3 - Vero4k, Raspberry Pi 2. OSMC.
(2014-11-18, 15:00)frarev Wrote:
(2014-11-18, 14:15)RavRob Wrote: I have no problems using Airplay on IOS 8.1 from my iPhone 4s on a Windows 8.1 and Windows 7 staight out of the box.

Which box ? A xbmc 13 or kodi 14 beta ?

Kodi Beta 3. Worked no problems on Beta 2 as well.
You guys seem to have a really good handle on the whole AirPlay thing so I'm hoping someone can point me in the right direction...

I configured a ASUS chromebox using openelec for a friend of mine (my box works great!), tested AirPlay at my house, works fine. Moved the box to his place and it's not seen on the network as an AirPlay device! I can access the box through the network and DLNA works fine but no AirPlay... The only configuration difference is that it was using WiFi at my place versus hardwired at his. If anyone has any clue what's going on I would greatly appreciate it!

Thanks
(2014-11-19, 23:28)loki131 Wrote: You guys seem to have a really good handle on the whole AirPlay thing so I'm hoping someone can point me in the right direction...

I configured a ASUS chromebox using openelec for a friend of mine (my box works great!), tested AirPlay at my house, works fine. Moved the box to his place and it's not seen on the network as an AirPlay device! I can access the box through the network and DLNA works fine but no AirPlay... The only configuration difference is that it was using WiFi at my place versus hardwired at his. If anyone has any clue what's going on I would greatly appreciate it!

Thanks

Should be a parameter in his router.
I took a cursory look at the router settings and nothing jumped out at me... any idea what I'm looking for?
Make sure it's not filtering out multicast traffic. Bonjour announcements are sent using multicast.
Kodi 18.3 - Mid 2007 Mac Mini, 4GB, 2TB HD, Windows 7 SP1
Kodi 18.3 - Vero4k, Raspberry Pi 2. OSMC.
Perfect, something to look for! Unfortunately I won't be able to test until later this week, I just want as much ammo as possible before I head over Big Grin

Thanks for your help!
Latest nightly build of Kodi works for me. Beta 2 did not.
Wouldn't it be better to have the Airplay functionality in a plugin instead of in the main product?

The problem is that the IOS updates will probably never be in sync with the Kodi release scheme.
(2014-11-23, 16:47)GoooF Wrote: Wouldn't it be better to have the Airplay functionality in a plugin instead of in the main product?

The problem is that the IOS updates will probably never be in sync with the Kodi release scheme.

Good point!
Fully agree, this is a fantastic idea!!!
Server: Asus Sabertooth Z77 | Intel Core i5 3.4 GHz | 16 GB DDR3 | 128 GB SSD, 82 TB (9 x 6 TB, 7 x 4 TB)
HTPC 1: Raspberry Pi 2 | HTPC 2: Raspberry Pi 2 | HTPC 3: Raspberry Pi
I had started this a long time ago - but it never went into a shape where it was acceptable for mainline.

https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/pull/698

addon:
https://github.com/Memphiz/script.xbmc.airplay

Also i really loose motivation because airplay support gets worse and worse after each ios release. In the end the ios7 airplay issue would not have been solved by the addon but needed core changes anyway. So its murphys law - you factor it out into an addon and apple breaks it in a way that needs changes in the core.

Also the whole python api stuff is autogenerated now from some metadata and i never had time to figure out how it works (which would be needed if this should be addod to current mainline code).
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
So this is weird... I've got an iPad mini 2 running iOS 8.1, jail broken with pangu. I've got kodi beta 4 running on windows 8.1. I've got an unjailbroken iPhone 5c running iOS 8.1. Today, streaming video from the iPad started working... Watched 12 minutes of an NFL Gamepass game. Doesn't work on the iPhone - only audio. I don't have any Cydia apps that could explain this, so I'm at a loss as to why this is working, but I'm pretty happy! Any ideas?
Have updated to latest Helix beta, and Airplay with Youtube works here on iOS 8.1.1 but the quality appears to be limited to 360p for me? Tried from Safari and a third party Youtube app, both 360p. The Youtube addon in Kodi is set to allow 1080p, and plays the same videos in high resolution when not started via Airplay. Anyone else seeing this?

Also, is there any way to have it automatically play the video? At the moment it pauses after receiving the video, and I need to hit play every time.
That behavior is the same on atv2 - this is something ios8 has changed afaik.
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
  • 14(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[AirPlay][Warning] Don't update to iOS8 if you want AirPlay1