Youtube app only doing 720p....
Okay so today I downloaded the XBMC/Kodi Youtube app and set all my preferences, 1080p etc etc but when I actually play a 1080p video, it just does 720p, this annoys me to no end because 720p looks quite bad on a 1080p monitor. I've heard this is something to do with DASH or something, I have no idea what it is. If you guys have any solutions feel free to post down below. This just sucks, back on Frodo this never happened but back then it had login issues. I've used two versions of the app as well 4.4.10 to 4.4.9
No solution currently, and this limit is for all versions of XBMC/Kodi. It's because YouTube is using DASH. It also effects other applications accessing YouTube as well.
not sure if this is valid but 4k video downloader can access the 1080p versions, not sure if this could be looked at by someone with way more knowledge than me and put there solution into XBMC?
I don't think 4K video downloader is open source. How do you expect it to help?
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
IIRC, there are open source solutions, but no one has gotten around to adapting XBMC/Kodi for this yet. I can't remember the details, but I know people have/are looking into it.
It really is a complete cop-out to say XBMC and Kodi are the problem with DASH. youtube-dl can download to a file (it isn't the only thing that can) and is written in Python. Half the work has been done for add-on developers. The remaining half (incorporating passing the video URL to the program or code- youtube-dl for example- which will handle buffering to and playback from a file, then seeking and optimizing that style of caching into something more polished) MAY require external dependencies, and it may not. External dependencies are better than lack of functionality.

It is not XBMC or Kodi's fault and it is not impossible. It is a choice that has been made by those developers of YouTube playback addons. They have the prerogative to build things the way they want to, including avoiding hacky implementations. They are doing a disservice when they repeatedly lie to this community either by speaking without knowing what they are talking about or through intentional desire to hide options they don't have interest in pursuing. Others should not follow suit.
I suggest you get in touch with Bromix and collaborate then.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
I don't think they (add-on devs) lying about anything. Official Team Kodi devs have said that Kodi needs DASH support for 1080 and higher videos. The issue is that the video stream is separate from the audio stream, and Kodi just needs some changes for that to work.
(2015-02-03, 19:08)Ned Scott Wrote: I don't think they (add-on devs) lying about anything. Official Team Kodi devs have said that Kodi needs DASH support for 1080 and higher videos. The issue is that the video stream is separate from the audio stream, and Kodi just needs some changes for that to work.

This is not a Kodi issue. Kodi can play files and DASH streams can be written to files. Using primitive disk-based buffering, Kodi plugins can easily start playback from the beginning. If this buffering can be moved to memory then great. Either way the high-level process is simple:
  1. Begin stream buffering
  2. Play from buffer
  3. Optimize buffer

One example of disk-based buffering optimization is to buffer in chunks, and to remove chunks from disk once Kodi has played them and once Kodi is reading the next. This is very crude, but it does have similarities to real-world approaches. Twitch stores and streams VODs in 10 second chunks now.

To clarify, youtube-dl example writes both the audio and video of DASH streams to file. There isn't a technical limitation here.
(2015-02-03, 07:26)nickr Wrote: I suggest you get in touch with Bromix and collaborate then.

I have asked him to investigate the option of disk-based buffering to begin a path toward DASH support within plugins until something is provided by Kodi.
Disk-buffering is a workaround and not a real solution for the very same reasons we don't buffer to disk by default for the normal video cache. It can sometimes dramatically shorten the life span of the memory used, such as flash memory, and many devices only have a few gigs of extra memory free on the local drive. My iPad (which runs Kodi wonderfully) only has less than 2GB at any given moment. I have a few Android devices in the same boat. Kodi does not handle running out of internal memory very well in the middle of video playback. At best the vide simply stops, at worst it will crash. It also wouldn't allow for file seeking before the that portion of the video was loaded (and all the video in between). Finally, it would only fix DASH streams via add-ons, and in a way that each add-on has to handle their own individual file cache.

There's a difference between "it can be done" and "it can be done correctly in a sane way that isn't ass backwards". Don't call people liars or say they are doing the community a disservice because they don't want to spend their free, unpaid time working on a dead-end hacky solution.

As far as the developers and support members of Team Kodi are concerned, this is a Kodi issue. The plan is to add DASH support to Kodi, properly.
I for one can live with 720p so long as it's not some awful hack and look forward to 1080p and even 4K once DASH can be properly supported. Big Grin
(2015-02-04, 19:21)Ned Scott Wrote: Don't call people liars or say they are doing the community a disservice because they don't want to spend their free, unpaid time working on a dead-end hacky solution.

As far as the developers and support members of Team Kodi are concerned, this is a Kodi issue. The plan is to add DASH support to Kodi, properly.

I do good work whether I'm getting paid or not. The free work = I don't want to argument has been debunked repeatedly for several decades. The Kodi team will not implement DASH because only YouTube playback will benefit from it. It will not be added properly by the Kodi developers at all, but add-on developers with a more specific focus may get there if any inertia is built up.

As Bromix has made clear, he has no interest in DASH because he feels 720p to 1080p isn't enough of a difference to bother and he feels work is better spent on 4K and 60 FPS. Perhaps you should take off the shiny armor and cease white knighting for people you know nothing about- as you were completely wrong about the reasons why work has not been done on DASH so far. That's pretty much where this entire conversation stemmed from. Mind your own business and let people defend their own decisions and lack of results. They are not incapable of speaking on their own behalf.
(2015-02-05, 01:32)hghfdkjbfjb Wrote:
(2015-02-04, 19:21)Ned Scott Wrote: Don't call people liars or say they are doing the community a disservice because they don't want to spend their free, unpaid time working on a dead-end hacky solution.

I do good work whether I'm getting paid or not. The free work = I don't want to argument has been debunked repeatedly for several decades. The Kodi team will not implement DASH because only YouTube playback will benefit from it. It will not be added properly by the Kodi developers at all, but add-on developers with a more specific focus may get there if any inertia is built up.

As Bromix has made clear, he has no interest in DASH because he feels 720p to 1080p isn't enough of a difference to bother and he feels work is better spent on 4K and 60 FPS. Perhaps you should take off the shiny armor and cease white knighting for people you know nothing about- as you were completely wrong about the reasons why work has not been done on DASH so far. That's pretty much where this entire conversation stemmed from. Mind your own business and let people defend their own decisions and lack of results. They are not incapable of speaking on their own behalf.

Haha you are so wrong on so many levels.
You have absolutely no clue what we as team want. So you better stop talking.
Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe
@hghfdkjbfjb you an offensive git who should slink back into his cesspit.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Youtube app only doing 720p....0