• 1(current)
Google Nexus Player
so, google today annouced it's new toy for home media - Nexus Player

let's hope it would be XBMC/Kodi compatible Smile

http://www.google.com/nexus/player/

$99 and $39 the controller.
it will run Android TV.
That's a pretty nice looking game controller. It's interesting that it is not an ARM processor. So are they porting android to x86 or will it be a new system?

Specs:

Chipset
1.8GHz Quad Core, Intel® Atom™
Imagination PowerVR Series 6 Graphics 2D/3D Engine

Memory
1GB RAM
8GB storage

Ports
18W DC power
HDMI out (1920x1080@60Hz)
Micro-USB 2.0

Wireless
802.11ac 2x2 (MIMO)
Bluetooth 4.1

Weight
235g

Dimensions
120mm x 120mm x 20mm
"PPC is too slow, your CPU has no balls to handle HD content." ~ Davilla
"Maybe it's a toaster. Who knows, but it has nothing to do with us." ~ Ned Scott
1.8GHz Quad Core, Intel® Atom should be powerful enough to play anything, and I assume we should be able to sideload XBMC for Android easily. If we can get a XBMC launch tile on the mainscreen (which is an issue for the FireTV), I'll have two of these right away. Also wonder how the remote works, IR, RF? ehh ... wifi only kinda sucks.
Direct competitor to the FireTV. I'm assume the Quad Atom would wipe the floor with FireTV's ARM?

I also assume this is not in the ballpark with Chromebox/NUC Celeron?
No word on pricing yet. I would think this would be similar in price to the FireTV though. I think it may be worth checking out if it is priced similarly to the FireTV. I have been relatively pleased with the FireTV thus far, but it is far from perfect.
Wink 
(2014-10-15, 19:15)kenelbow Wrote: No word on pricing yet. I would think this would be similar in price to the FireTV though. I think it may be worth checking out if it is priced similarly to the FireTV. I have been relatively pleased with the FireTV thus far, but it is far from perfect.

Wall street journal says it'll be $99 here

If so I'll take 3 please Big Grin
(assuming Kodi can be side-loaded & put on the main launch screen)
yes. $99 and $39 the controller.
it will run Android TV.
Got my fire TV on pre order here in the UK.... By time this is available for us I may well just be bored of it and snatching up one of these 😛
only wifi?
No ethernet?

With this processor/graphics, It plays almos everything (1080), but... What kind of games expect to play flawlessly?
I have a minix 8h but don't like the controller or interface.

My questions are:
will this run Kodi smoothly ?
will it allow to passthrough sound to my av receiver?
with wi fi only, will it play 3d/1080p without problems from my nas?
Can I stick my external Hardrive on it? Kodi can likely be sideloaded but like the fire TV, using external storage out of box is the key.
(2014-10-15, 18:48)lrusak Wrote: So are they porting android to x86 or will it be a new system?
Android has been ported to x86 already.

This might make for a very interesting little OpenELEC box
I just saw that it is WiFi only. Kind of a deal breaker for me.
(2014-10-15, 19:56)lmyllari Wrote:
(2014-10-15, 18:48)lrusak Wrote: So are they porting android to x86 or will it be a new system?
Android has been ported to x86 already.

This might make for a very interesting little OpenELEC box

Yes I think OpenELEC May work on this, but only time will tell until someone actually receives a device. The OpenELEC team always welcomes donations Wink
"PPC is too slow, your CPU has no balls to handle HD content." ~ Davilla
"Maybe it's a toaster. Who knows, but it has nothing to do with us." ~ Ned Scott
(2014-10-15, 20:02)kenelbow Wrote: I just saw that it is WiFi only. Kind of a deal breaker for me.

+1
  • 1(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Google Nexus Player7