• 7(current)
Android Latest VidOn Box Impressions
Also i don't trust anymore Cm

A400 stop support months ago with several bugs not fixed yet
Same story for a300 and a210

And they really started bad with chameleon

Lies about kodi official devoplement and other os supporr
I have a couple of questions and I don't remember if they were answered in this thread.

- Does this box go into a standby mode or straight shut down when you turn it off?
- Will it work with the Flirc receiver and the MCE IR receivers?
- I noticed on their page you get more features with a membership and Blu-Ray navigation. So what happens when you play a Blu0Ray ISO without having this membership?

Thanks

- UI dims, but pressing 'power' button puts it in sleep/standby. To do a full power off, must go to Settings > Power Management and power off
- Don't have a Flirc to test, but I'd guess yes. It recognized my Hausbell H7 mini-keyboard and a cheap WMC remote (VRC-1100)
- For now, VidOn is giving everyone 3 months membership for free, but after that I'm expecting we'd only be able to select 'main' playlist or choose from available playlists
[H]i-[d]eft [M]edia [K]een [V]ideosaurus
My Family Room Theater
(2014-10-28, 01:49)hdmkv Wrote: - UI dims, but pressing 'power' button puts it in sleep/standby. To do a full power off, must go to Settings > Power Management and power off
- Don't have a Flirc to test, but I'd guess yes. It recognized my Hausbell H7 mini-keyboard and a cheap WMC remote (VRC-1100)
- For now, VidOn is giving everyone 3 months membership for free, but after that I'm expecting we'd only be able to select 'main' playlist or choose from available playlists

Thanks!

(2014-10-28, 01:36)BORIStheBLADE Wrote: - Does this box go into a standby mode or straight shut down when you turn it off?

Press the power button, the box will standby, and if you want to shut down the box, long press the power button.
(2014-10-26, 18:49)hdmkv Wrote: I'd actually suggest they release a higher-end box that's more powerful and with at least 16GB of internal storage. This would help with XBMC performance, especially large media libraries, and even the latest or graphics-heavy/3D Android games. Another plus would be support for Android Lollipop.

Maybe a 4TB hard drive inside? External Optical Drive support? S802 Chipset? Want hear more from you. Smile
(2014-10-28, 05:49)VidOn.me-Wolly Wrote:
(2014-10-28, 01:36)BORIStheBLADE Wrote: - Does this box go into a standby mode or straight shut down when you turn it off?

Press the power button, the box will standby, and if you want to shut down the box, long press the power button.

Thank you

(2014-10-28, 12:34)VidOn.me-Wolly Wrote:
(2014-10-26, 18:49)hdmkv Wrote: I'd actually suggest they release a higher-end box that's more powerful and with at least 16GB of internal storage. This would help with XBMC performance, especially large media libraries, and even the latest or graphics-heavy/3D Android games. Another plus would be support for Android Lollipop.

Maybe a 4TB hard drive inside? External Optical Drive support? S802 Chipset? Want hear more from you. Smile
I rely on a 40TB+ NAS, so internal HDD capability doesn't matter. Optical drive support doesn't matter either as I'm discless (after ripping, my BD's go into storage) Smile. But, let's find out what everybody thinks would be good to have as well.

Re: S802 Chipset, I'm not sure. I tried out a Probox2 EX based on positive reviews. But, eBay'd it a week later. Although a fairly snappy box, it had no hd audio, no frame-packed 3D, but did have 4K. To me, the former 2 are much more important. At this point, given lack of 4K content, 4K is a just nice to have. Bottom line, whether you guys opt for S802, RK3288 or whatever, as long as hd audio and 3D are supported, and the box performs fluidly, I think you'd have a lot of us very interested. Finally, Android L support (no idea of feasibility) and well-made remote.
My Family Room Theater
Wolly, on the current VidOn box, where is the IR receiver? I used a flashlight to try to find it, but no luck. Given the poor range (of at least the stock remote), I was hoping to attach an IR extender 'eye' right where the the box receives its IR signal, then use my Logitech Harmony.
My Family Room Theater
(2014-10-28, 15:41)hdmkv Wrote: Wolly, on the current VidOn box, where is the IR receiver? I used a flashlight to try to find it, but no luck. Given the poor range (of at least the stock remote), I was hoping to attach an IR extender 'eye' right where the the box receives its IR signal, then use my Logitech Harmony.

It's on the right of the light I think, I can see the letter "IR..."
Has anyone tried LiveTV yet?

I've just tried to get my VU+ to work with it but the Vu+ addon installs and configures but won't start

Thanks
(2014-10-28, 15:52)Wolly Wrote: It's on the right of the light I think, I can see the letter "IR..."
Okay, thanks, I see it...

My Family Room Theater
(2014-10-28, 12:34)VidOn.me-Wolly Wrote:

Wolly

What date exactly is this device going to be available for purchase?

Want to know,because there is always something new out there everyday..
The Next Big Thing..

Thanks!
MY CURRENT MEDIA PLAYER | MY HOME THEATER
MINIX NEO U22-XJ COREELEC v19 MATRIX | EGREAT A10 | NVIDIA SHIELD | LG 75 NANO90 DV/HDR+ | Sony 43 Android TV HDR
XBOX SERIES X  | PS4 PRO 4K | JBL 9.1 System 5.1.4 DTS:X/ATMOS 
3d iso, hd audio passthrough (and atmos) and 4k running xbmc = instant buy!

No 3d or audio passthrough is dealbreaker.
4k is future proof and should be added already
I've completed some more tests on the VidOn box and here are the results. Anyway, did I mention the stock remote is a P.O.S.?! Worst remote ever! Gotta point it straight at the box within 3-5ft. A pain in the ass; drives me bonkers! To alleviate this, I attached an IR eye to the IR receiver area of the box (see here) and used my Harmony One remote. It helped, but only slightly. I was constantly switching between the stock remote, my Harmony and my Hausbell Mini H7 keyboard/mouse combo. All were necessary for my tests below, and very frustrating.

First, I tested some useful and/or popular streaming Android apps:
  • Netflix app = works fine as I mentioned earlier, but like other others apps, they're designed for tablets, so a keyboard/mouse is absolutely necessary for navigation within all of them! Netflix qiality, capped at 480p, is so-so. On my 133" screen, not so good. But, as I mentioned earlier, not VidOn's fault here, but Netflix.
  • YouTube app = works okay. Good quality video.
  • Simple.tv = works okay, but playback is not smooth (jittery, frame skips). This app basically connects to my Simple.tv DVR's. STV does live TV and saves OTA HD recordings as HLS MPEG4. My Amazon FireTV renders these very well; VidOn not.
  • Pluto.tv app = Nice app with 100+ HD channels of curated Web content. Same issue: jittery, frame skips, stuttering. Works well on my Fire TV and tablets.
  • PBS & PBS Kids apps = Both start fine and are usable. But, bummer, can't exit out of no matter what! Must unplug VidOn and reboot!
  • IPTV app = works fine if there's a video stream that's actually working. If not, you either get a 'not available' message or VidOn locks up and you must... you guessed it, unplug and replug!
  • Amazon Prime Video app = probably the best working app of the bunch! I used this method (the offical way) to install. Quality is very good, even though it doesn't appear to be HD. Better than Netflix anyway.
  • Crackle app = Incompatible download via Google Play on VidOn, so I sideloaded it. Doesn't work; crashes when trying to launch.
  • CBS app = Also no workie! When launching, it says update is needed, but press 'okay', nothing happens (spinning wheel of death). So, unusable.

Second, on to live TV: Previously I think I mentioned it was okay. Well, I should've watched more. I'm using HDHomeRun (the MPEG2 version, not the one that transcodes to H.264)... whether 720p (FOX) or 1080i (NBC, CBS) streams, they stuttered, broke up or had audio synch issues. Again, these work well via my Fire TV, even w/o deinterlacing happening.

Third, games. I mentioned 'Riptide GP2' doesn't work (loading circle of death or just crashes). Another 'heavy graphics' game: Asphalt 8, also crashes. I tried my Micrsoft XBOX controller, both a wired one (direct via USB) and the wireless one (via USB dongle), with a game that does work: Beach Buggy Racing, but the controllers do not work! I didn't try, but expect lightweight games to work fine, like 'Angry Birds' and 'Fruit Ninja'.

Fourth, it appears VidOn has issues with 29.970 and 59.940 content. Tried my HDDVD rip of 'The Eagles: Farewell I Live From Melbourne', which is VC-1 and has DTS-MA audio. Stuttered and pixellated like crazy. Same goes for other concerts, stuttering, if not worse.

Finally, I'm finding VidOn a little sluggish the more I use it. Don't expect Chromebox/NUC performance or even Fire TV, but lack of performance/snappiness is noticeable. I installed Amber skin in VidOn's XBMC, a lightweight, but beautiful skin. It worked okay for the most part, but I did find some oddities like this. It appears the stock Confluence skins works best.

Bit of a honeymoon over with VidOn box, but I keep telling myself this is a $49 (well $59 with shipping) box, so gotta have expectations in check. At this point, I'm obviously keeping my Mede8er 600X3D's (I have two) as my dedicated home theater boxes, but will also keep my VidOn as a secondary box, as at this bargain price, it still does HD audio and full 3D, even with some catches.
My Family Room Theater
  • 7(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Latest VidOn Box Impressions3