• 34(current)
Android Latest VidOn Box Impressions
Hi Wolly

Any update on the HD audio issue's some of us are having with certain AVR's.
I finally had a chance to play with the Vidon box today and I have a few questions/problems.
Here's what I did:
- I applied all updates (SDK, VMC, XBMC), the initial setup took a while with all the updates, and it walked me through the same questions at least a couple of times
- I selected HDMI, 1080p, 60Hz, 100% scaling, audio pass-through. My receiver is a Denon AVR-3808CI capable of HD audio (tested with blu-ray players and also a Windows based HTPC, all HD audio bitstreaming works)

Problems:
- Cannot get HD audio bitstreaming working. I tried both versions of XBMC that are on the box, all updates applied, configured for audio pass-through and DTS-HD checked. When I play a Blu-ray rip (done with MakeMKV) the receiver shows PCM and the sound is garbage. If I disable DTS-HD in XBMC then I at least get DTS.
- Lip-sync issues, the video seems to be slightly behind the audio.
- Netflix does not work. I updated to the latest version of Netflix from the Play Store, I get audio and subtitles but the video is all black. I get some images once in a while for a few seconds and it goes back to black.
- The box feels sluggish overall, apps are slow to start and seeking within movies is slow too. The movies are served via NFS from a Linux server, all is Gigabit wired, so no wifi issues here.

For comparison, I tried a Google Nexus Player, Amazon Fire TV box (AFTV), Win 8.1 Intel NUC i3 HTPC, OpenELEC on an HTPC, Chromecast, Fire TV stick. All with the same AVR and TV. From all of the above, for me the Win 8.1 NUC is hard to beat, everything just works once set up (though I do not enjoy using or maintaining Windows and I'm hoping I can move away from it some day). After that I like the AFTV -- I'm lucky that I was able to root mine. Nexus Player I was not impressed with, I found the wifi pretty weak (I prefer wired connections). OpenELEC was very nice for XBMC but I have to use Netflix and Amazon Prime Videos.

Unfortunately the Vidon box is the most problematic, pretty much unusable for me in its current state. If there's anything I should try to make it better please let me know, before I disconnect it from the setup and put it back in its box.
Thanks for your feedback.
What's the format of your blu-ray rip? MKV?
Does your HTPC ouput HD audio when playing this movie?

We ripped a Blu-ray disc with MakeMKV, the HD audio in the souced file was changed to DTS in the finished MKV file.
Could you try some Blu-ray iso files to see if the HD audio work? (We want to make sure if your AVR is supported)
Or could you rip the blu-ray disc with other tools, such as AnyDVD, DVDFab? (We want to know if the DTS-HD audio made by MakeMKV can not be recognized by our box)

Thank you for your time.
More vid-on rubbish. Makemkv extracts the full hts-hd track.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
Well, we will test it again.
Just fund the default settings in MakeMKV doesn't check the HD audio.
I have MKVs made with MakeMKV with DTS-HD and TrueHD audio tracks and these play fine in Vidon XBMC, but only in 2D (I don't think that the player supports 3D MVC MKV files though, so I believe that is normal). I use a Pioneer VSX S300 amplifier, which unfortunately the player does not play nicely with and does not play any audio with 3D Blurays (but my other amplifier Pioneer VSX-324 has no issues with the same files and same VidOn Box).

They have started a thread on the VidOn forum which lists Receivers which don't play nicely with the Vidon Box - I notice that someone else has already reported that your AVR-3808CI does not play back HD audio.

http://forum.vidon.me/index.php?/topic/9...udio-here/

Wolly - in MakeMKV you need to manually select the HD audio from the file that you want (by default, it de-selects the HD audio). Once you have loaded the disc, you need to click on the arrow next to the appropriate file (usually the largest one) and you can select DTS-HD / TrueHD. (just noticed that you saw this as well)
(2015-01-04, 12:21)VidOn.me-Wolly Wrote: Thanks for your feedback.
What's the format of your blu-ray rip? MKV?
Does your HTPC ouput HD audio when playing this movie?

We ripped a Blu-ray disc with MakeMKV, the HD audio in the souced file was changed to DTS in the finished MKV file.
Could you try some Blu-ray iso files to see if the HD audio work? (We want to make sure if your AVR is supported)
Or could you rip the blu-ray disc with other tools, such as AnyDVD, DVDFab? (We want to know if the DTS-HD audio made by MakeMKV can not be recognized by our box)

Thank you for your time.

Yes, the audio track is DTS-HD and it plays fine on a Windows HTPC running XBMC 13.2 Gotham and also Kodi Helix.
You have to select the DTS-HD track in MakeMKV if you want to get HD audio.
MakeMKV doesn't do any transcoding, it's just a pass-through of the audio and video streams, sans the protections of course. MKV file format.

As more feedback, last night I was trying to play an mp4 file, 1080p video with 2 channel AAC audio. Same out of sync problem between video and audio, same file plays fine on an AFTV box, no lipsync issues. Also, during playback about the middle of the movie all of a sudden it was starting to speed up and play as if I hit 2x speed. Skipping back and forth didn't solve it, I had to stop the movie and start it again.

I noticed that the IR on these boxes is rather weak too (not sure whether it's the receiver or the remote). The remote is usually about 7-8 ft. from the box, but even if I stand up and I'm closer to the box, pointing towards it, IR is hit or miss. Again, not sure whether it's the IR or the box is just sluggish to respond to commands.

And is anybody using Netflix here? I don't see it mentioned at all, for me the video does not work at all.
Did your box come with two remotes? Both of the two remotes perform the same?

Netflix made a limitation on the "unknown" devices. see here https://help.netflix.com/en/node/11634
(2015-01-05, 04:23)VidOn.me-Wolly Wrote: Did your box come with two remotes? Both of the two remotes perform the same?

No, it came with a single remote.

Quote:Netflix made a limitation on the "unknown" devices. see here https://help.netflix.com/en/node/11634

OK, but then why include the Netflix app in the ROM if it doesn't work? Are there any plans to add support for Netflix?
Could you post the remote picture here so I can confirm which one you received.
The new remote should be good to use, it has two IR emitters.

Now we are solving the audio sync issue and the AVR compatibility issue has already forwarded to the chipset company. We are now cooperating with Allwinner and Amlogic (and will have more chipset companies), Android Boxes powered by Amlogic's chipset (S802, S805 or S812) also will encounter this issue, so now they are looking into this issue, once it gets fixed on Amlogic's chipeset, then Allwinner will also solve it.
The remote is not a big deal, if it's the remote and not the IR receiver in the box. I would use a universal learning remote anyway.
Wolly

What does this me.

Egreat A9 with VidOn.me XBMC ?

MY CURRENT MEDIA PLAYER | MY HOME THEATER
MINIX NEO U22-XJ COREELEC v19 MATRIX | EGREAT A10 | NVIDIA SHIELD | LG 75 NANO90 DV/HDR+ | Sony 43 Android TV HDR
XBOX SERIES X  | PS4 PRO 4K | JBL 9.1 System 5.1.4 DTS:X/ATMOS 
Interesting; more here. The A9 may work as a better hardware, but with VidOn's 3D and hd audio? Egreat has been around for a while, but they aren't good at support.
[H]i-[d]eft [M]edia [K]een [V]ideosaurus
My Family Room Theater
Looks like the same chipset as the Mele X2000 and the Xidoo X9, both of which have issues with 3D ISO playback (among other things) on current software.
(2015-01-05, 17:57)hdmkv Wrote: Interesting; more here. The A9 may work as a better hardware, but with VidOn's 3D and hd audio? Egreat has been around for a while, but they aren't good at support.

We will provide the support for them, we're partnership.
You will see more and more Android Boxes have VidOn XBMC preloaded in the future.

(2015-01-05, 13:52)movie78 Wrote: Wolly

What does this me.

Egreat A9 with VidOn.me XBMC ?

We cooperate with Egreat, we provide VidOn XBMC and make it can run well on their boxes and also provide more technical support.
  • 34(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Latest VidOn Box Impressions3