• 43(current)
Android Latest VidOn Box Impressions
Anyone here tried to compile their source?

Update : the source fails to compile on linux , configure and makefiles are not updated

Looks like the only way to compile it is in windows with vs2010 express , i'll keep trying
Can we get back to discussing the actual product on this thread? I haven't posted anything since last year because this is increasingly becoming a soapbox for people with a vendetta. I like the product overall, the new release has some problems though; can we actually talk about that?
I think the license issues are a problem with the release.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
I don't think license issues matter in this forum, this is about the product, not about attacking some random Chinese company that uses a software (Kodi) which by its' very nature allows users to infringe upon copy-written material the world over. Why is protecting the Kodi license so important when Kodi does nothing to protect the content it was created to work with; not to mention the fact that Kodi doesn't seem to care about these "violations" whatsoever....
The only time they (or I should say their parent) give a shit is when somebody violates conditions of the ever profitable BusyBox.

This smells like BS to me.

Well, I upgraded to the new release, 0.0.0.5, and I had some issues with upnp, but smb connections are running just fine and I have not experienced buffering with ISO playback in quite a while (via smb). I saw a big improvement with media file playback starting with the 0.0.0.4 release and everything has been working (almost) perfectly since then. Overall I am glad I have stuck with this box.
I actually start to believe you are right.
Is an update coming soon?
To me this box needs a lot of improvement before it's usable. I've tried the Nexus Player, AFTV box, AFTV stick, Roku, Chromecast and also an Intel NUC HTPC. Of course the best one is the full power NUC, though overkill and not cheap. After that I like the AFTV box (I was lucky and mine is rootable, otherwise not sure how I'd feel about it). The VidOn was a disappointing experience for me, I'd say it's in alpha state, beta maybe if I'm being very generous.
This box is in better shape than most other Android boxes not by major players like Amazon, Google, etc. Better than Open Hour, Minix, etc. overall I'd argue. But, key fixes needed are 23.976 support and better stability, including some HDMI handshake issues.

Longer term, I'm hoping for something like a Chromebox, but with 3D ISO (frame-packed playback) support.
[H]i-[d]eft [M]edia [K]een [V]ideosaurus
My Family Room Theater
I am going to sell mine and replace it by the new Raspberry Pi 2 because i don't need 3D.

Even with 2D, XBMC on VidOn is unstable and has annoying A/V sync issue (i don't want to correct audio every time i play some movie), also lack of 23.976 is disadvantage for me (i know that it is difficult to implement it on Android).
I am waiting for their sdk update , they promised on the screenshot posted by wolly in chinese 1080 ui , root , full featured vmc , and xbmc update
They have bugs , but they are fixing them ...
I use it mostly to watch bd 3d isos , all the other content can be played fine directly from my tv dnla
I dont have issues with 23.976
I thinks the VidOn box is not made for everyone,there is not one single media player with Kodi that does it ALL.

I my case I only use my to watch BD3D.iso and chromebox for the rest of my movies.

Like hdmkv said:If only Chromebox can support BD3D.iso Framepacked playback,the will be the ultimate device.

I don't mind paying a license fee for Chromebox w/kodi to support BD3D.iso Framepacked playback
MY CURRENT MEDIA PLAYER | MY HOME THEATER
MINIX NEO U22-XJ COREELEC v19 MATRIX | EGREAT A10 | NVIDIA SHIELD | LG 75 NANO90 DV/HDR+ | Sony 43 Android TV HDR
XBOX SERIES X  | PS4 PRO 4K | JBL 9.1 System 5.1.4 DTS:X/ATMOS 
+1. I see VidOn as a stop-gap honestly. For a 3D box with Kodi, it's really the only game in town for now. Open Hour supposedly has 3D now, sans hd audio, but overall it's really an early Alpha product from all I've read.

My uses at present are:
- Chromebox (60% of the time, for all 2D, hd audio, home theater use)
- Mede8er 600X3D (20%, for strictly for 3D viewing as no Kodi, but otherwise perfect 23.976, hd audio)
- Amazon Fire TV (15%, for casual Kodi viewing on TV without AVR, Prime content, news/video apps, light games)
- VidOn Box (5%, for mainly testing and secondary 3D playback)
My Family Room Theater
(2015-02-03, 20:38)hdmkv Wrote: My uses at present are:
- Mede8er 600X3D (20%, for strictly for 3D viewing as no Kodi, but otherwise perfect 23.976, hd audio)
- Amazon Fire TV (15%, for casual Kodi viewing on TV without AVR, Prime content, news/video apps, light games)

Wow four HTPCs at a single station? I am impressed, I think my max is three.

(2015-02-03, 20:38)hdmkv Wrote: +1. I see VidOn as a stop-gap honestly. For a 3D box with Kodi, it's really the only game in town for now. Open Hour supposedly has 3D now, sans hd audio, but overall it's really an early Alpha product from all I've read.

My uses at present are:

Chromebox (80% of the time, for all 2D, hd audio, home theater use)
VidOn box (20%, for BD3D.iso viewing with Kodi,
Amazon fireStick 0.1% for TV shows without HD Audio..

M-195 w/XBMC Gotham for Testing.
MY CURRENT MEDIA PLAYER | MY HOME THEATER
MINIX NEO U22-XJ COREELEC v19 MATRIX | EGREAT A10 | NVIDIA SHIELD | LG 75 NANO90 DV/HDR+ | Sony 43 Android TV HDR
XBOX SERIES X  | PS4 PRO 4K | JBL 9.1 System 5.1.4 DTS:X/ATMOS 
(2015-02-03, 21:17)poofyhairguy Wrote: Wow four HTPCs at a single station? I am impressed, I think my max is three.
I use FTV's around house (kids, family), not dedicated HT. For latter, really just Chromebox and M8R. VidOn only occasionally (testing, or just for the heck of it). I couldn't get myself to get rid of M8R for 3D playback as it's so much superior to VidOn for that. Just lacks Kodi.

VidOn is quite good for what it is, especially an Android box, but for dedicated HT use, not quite (mainly due to lack of 23.976 and power/snappiness).
My Family Room Theater
  • 43(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Latest VidOn Box Impressions3