• 45(current)
Android Latest VidOn Box Impressions
(2015-02-11, 11:52)Caramba69 Wrote: Too late :-( I hope the official update comes soon.

It's hard too say, because it's only few days left before we go back for the Chinese Spring Festival. I suggest you reset box and update SDK to 1.2, VMC 0.0.1.6 and VidOn XBMC 0.0.0.4.

After the bugs have been fixed, we will have another round of beta test, if everything goes well, the official update will be released.

Thanks for your patient.
(2015-02-11, 12:08)VidOn.me-Wolly Wrote:
(2015-02-11, 11:52)Caramba69 Wrote: Too late :-( I hope the official update comes soon.

It's hard too say, because it's only few days left before we go back for the Chinese Spring Festival. I suggest you reset box and update SDK to 1.3, VMC 0.0.1.6 and VidOn XBMC 0.0.0.4.

After the bugs have been fixed, we will have another round of beta test, if everything goes well, the official update will be released.

Thanks for your patient.

OK, I will wait....
I installed the new SDK and VMC, XBMC 0.0.0.6, though I wish I still I had 0.4 on my test box. New UI looks good, but that was never a huge deal for me and it also seems to slow things down slightly. Some audio troubles with MKV playback over NFS, but SMB was fine.
The " slow things out" and other differences are not related to the UI change , but to the xbmc version , 0.0.0.5 was buggy , if you remember i recommended not to upgrade to 0.0.0.5
Now if you installed the leaked sdk , you have to use vnc , and wait for the new xbmc (0.0.0.6 ? ) to have full 1080 ui support , both are still in testing and not released , and bugs are being fixed before the release
When can we expect to get Kodi 14.x?
(2015-02-20, 16:36)Caramba69 Wrote: When can we expect to get Kodi 14.x?

VidOn Kodi is under developing, it will come out very soon, in March we may get an alpha version for close test, so don't worry.
(2015-02-22, 13:15)VidOn.me-Wolly Wrote: VidOn Kodi is under developing, it will come out very soon, in March we may get an alpha version for close test, so don't worry.
Heads-up, according to the official trademark policy you are not allowed to call your software "VidOn Kodi".

Basically you are not allowed to use "Kodi" in your product name, see http://kodi.wiki/view/Official:Trademark_Policy

But doesn't sound like you give a hoot about copyright, trademarks, or open source license compliance.
(2015-02-24, 15:21)RockerC Wrote: Heads-up, according to the official trademark policy you are not allowed to call your software "VidOn Kodi".

Basically you are not allowed to use "Kodi" in your product name, see http://kodi.wiki/view/Official:Trademark_Policy

But doesn't sound like you give a hoot about copyright, trademarks, or open source license compliance.

Come ON!!

He meant VidOn's Kodi is under development...That doesn't mean VidOn have their own Kodi version or using Kodi trademark.
They just making Kodi to work on their Hardware.

Just give these guys a break...

I for one like their Box..
MY CURRENT MEDIA PLAYER | MY HOME THEATER
MINIX NEO U22-XJ COREELEC v19 MATRIX | EGREAT A10 | NVIDIA SHIELD | LG 75 NANO90 DV/HDR+ | Sony 43 Android TV HDR
XBOX SERIES X  | PS4 PRO 4K | JBL 9.1 System 5.1.4 DTS:X/ATMOS 
(2015-02-24, 16:36)movie78 Wrote:
(2015-02-24, 15:21)RockerC Wrote: Heads-up, according to the official trademark policy you are not allowed to call your software "VidOn Kodi".

Come ON!!

He meant VidOn's Kodi is under development...That doesn't mean VidOn have their own Kodi version or using Kodi trademark.
They just making Kodi to work on their Hardware.

Just give these guys a break...

I for one like their Box..
I don't think that is what he meant, as they are calling their version of XBMC for "VidOn XBMC", and "VidOn XBMC Pro" for a non-free version.

Just have a look at their website and you should not think that it us strange for me to assume they will do the same with the Kodi name and logo:

http://www.vidon.me/vidon_xbmc.htm

What is VidOn XBMC

VidOn XBMC is a specialized media center software that combines all digital media into one simple platform. Play and view an array of files by streaming or through wired and wireless connections; listen to all of your music, view all of your photos, watch your entire digital movie collection and install limitless add-ons to a create a personalized media center on your television.

Download

Version:0.0.0.5 Beta

Image Image Image Image

Doing so they are clearly in breach of trandemarks and copyright right on that page and by releasing "XBMC" builds with a different version scheme such as their latest "XBMC 0.0.0.4", etc.

If VidOn plan on doing the same with Kodi name and logo as they done with XBMC and start calling their version for "VidOn Kodi" then they will be in trouble, hence the heads-up.

So no, I do not believe that we are being too harsh with VidOn right now here in this thread.

They need to learn how to play by the rules of the western world and begin from now on to fully comply with copyrights, trademarks, or open source licenses.

We should only give these guys a break when they get their act together.

These trademark issues above with that webpage and them calling it "VidOn XBMC" the same arguments as in this otherwise trademark discussion:

http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=215856
(2015-01-21, 10:08)natethomas Wrote: The important thing is you make clear that you are you and not us. Which is different. It's possible that maybe you don't understand that, because you don't have a legal background or aren't particularly familiar with trademark law. So to make this easier, I'll list the 8 factors that determine likelihood of confusion, the most important issue in the world of trademark violation according to the courts. And I'll do it publically, both so it can be entirely clear to you and everyone at TV Addons, and it can be clear to anyone else interested in going down this road in the future.

8 Factors
  1. the similarity in the overall impression created by the two marks (including the marks' look, phonetic similarities, and underlying meanings);
  2. the similarities of the goods and services involved (including an examination of the marketing channels for the goods);
  3. the strength of the plaintiff's mark;
  4. any evidence of actual confusion by consumers;
  5. the intent of the defendant in adopting its mark;
  6. the physical proximity of the goods in the retail marketplace;
  7. the degree of care likely to be exercised by the consumer; and
  8. the likelihood of expansion of the product lines.

There's the list. Now let's analyze it with relation to your site, going through each factor individually.

the similarity in the overall impression
1. This is easily the most important thing, though there are ways to mitigate the problem. Right now, your title is similar to ours and overlaps quite a lot, given that everything in your title suggests you are us except the word "Unofficial." This almost complete overlap is at least a warning sign under #1. Not a great way to start.

For the remainder of this discussion, we'll make up another website, which I'm going to call Brazilian Fans of Kodi, to use as a comparison. That title doesn't overlap nearly as much under #1, since It's got both Brazilian and Fans in there, neither of which could be confused as us. It still uses our name, but in a much less confusing way.

the similarities of the goods and services
2. The similarity of the goods and services involved completely overlaps as well. We both provide addons. We both provide binaries that can run those addons. And while you have done a good job in renaming your binary, you still CALL it one of our names on your website, as is pretty obvious in the picture above. So not only are you overlapping on this level, you are naming that overlap wrongly again. If we look at Brazilian Fans of Kodi, they don't provide what we provide, either in addons or in binaries, so they have no problem. That's another strike against you that wouldn't be a strike against them.

the strength of the plaintiff's mark
3. People in this community VERY strongly associate the names XBMC and Kodi with us. So if someone else comes in and uses those names in their titles and to describe their apps that are being downloaded, then the community is much more likely to be confused by that word association. Another mark against you. And a mark against Brazilian Fans, I suppose. Though nobody associates us with Brazilian Fans, so at least there's some clearing there that you haven't really got.

any evidence of actual confusion by consumers
4. I mean, do I need to go into depth on evidence of confusion? Chinese manufacturers are confused. Engadget and Ars Technica was confused. Users are constantly confused and asking us in the forum, in social media, and elsewhere. And I'm still curious to see just how many people will be able to say which of those images above comes from us. I'll grant you that you've reformed some since the Engadget/Ars bungle. But the rest are happening literally right now. I'm going to guess nobody would ever be confused by a site called Brazilian Fans of Kodi.

the intent
5. I don't know your intent. My guess is that you want to use those names because they help you with SEO. Which means you want to get people who are searching for Kodi or XBMC. Which means you are trying to get our users. In itself, there's nothing wrong with that. But if you've already violated the previous 4 factors, that gets a lot less cool, very quickly. The clear intent of a site called Brazilian Fans of Kodi is to say that they are brazilian fans of Kodi. Not that they are Kodi. That one is simple.

the physical proximity of the goods
6. I did some research into what "physical proximity" meant for online, and it basically means do we use similar marketing channels. And I mean, the obvious answer there is yes. We're both online only. We both are heavy social media orgs. We're both working on maintaining our page rank on google. You get the idea. We use the same channels. Here's another area where Brazilian Fans overlaps with us. Though they actually probably might also have physical meetups in Rio and Brazilia, so maybe not quite as much of a match.

the degree of care likely to be exercised by the consumer
7. As pointed out in #4, consumers/users don't care at all. They mostly don't even know there could be a difference, so the chances of them actually paying close enough attention to scroll past the fold to find your disclaimer is roughly 0%. This would definitely not be the case for Brazilian Fans. Brazilian Fans actually looking for other locals to share their love of Kodi aren't going to accidentally end up in British Fans of Kodi or any other site. They know exactly what they're looking for.

the likelihood of expansion of the product lines
8. This question is really only for if our products differ. Beyond the fact that you primarily deal in piracy addons, we deal in basically the exact same things. Apps and addons. I guess the only difference is that we also provide a remote control for iOS. I don't know if you have any plans in that regard, but for now we'll assume we don't need to worry about this one. Needless to say, Brazilian Fans of Kodi are never going to make products, so there's no chance of expanding into our production.

So there you go. At the moment, you are confusing to users on 7 of the 8 factors normally used by courts for deciding such things. And the only reason you aren't confusing on the 8th factor is because there's basically no more room for expansion. And I'm saying you are confusing right now. At this very moment.
For me, the most worring part is; It appears they get away with it all because they shoved $10k towards the Foundation. I guess it will be another prove of the fact; everybody has a price.
(2015-01-28, 05:30)VidOn.me-Wolly Wrote:
(2015-01-28, 02:21)nickr Wrote: Your product runs android. It has a linux kernel. Linux is GPL2. You are obliged to provide the source code.
We only have a little part of the source code, but we cannot open source, because we have signed a confidentiality agreement with Allwinner in order to get these code.
I agree that this whole discussion is getting a bit ridiculous, but in the spirit of open source philosophy, how long can all these "indiscretions" just be ignored? Many little streams make a mighty river. Here's a link to an related article about more "definitive proof" that Allwinner AND ITS PARTNERS is violating the GPL/LGPL licenses of both the Linux kernel and FFmpeg.

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=ne...late-Proof
http://www.cnx-software.com/2015/02/26/a...pyrtights/

Why don't you at least try to make an better effort in understanding the requirements of GPL/LGPL licenses? How difficult is it to simply follow the requirements of the these licenses?

(2015-02-26, 11:55)j1nx Wrote: For me, the most worring part is; It appears they get away with it all because they shoved $10k towards the Foundation. I guess it will be another prove of the fact; everybody has a price.
I get that Team-Kodi/XBMC can't chase issues with Allwinner violating Linux kernel or FFmpeg GPL/LGPL licenses upstream and their partners unknowingly use those binaries, but I feel that Team-Kodi/XBMC should act on infractions to enforce trademark and GPL/LGPL license compliance when it comes to Kodi/XBMC code licenses, copyrights, and trademarks.

Companies such as VidOn should be forced to a better job at following the requirements of a GPL license, and continuously prove good faith to be allowed and keep a sponsorship title.
I thought this was an impressions thread? Why don't you guys harping about licensing and copyrights and open source and all of the legal crap make a separate thread to discuss it there.

My box should be coming in tomorrow, after waiting extra time for the Chinese New Year to get it from geekbuying.com. I'll leave a layman's impression here later after playing with it for a bit. I'm also hoping geekbuying will refund my shipping fee since it wasn't honored (I'll let you guys know what happened there too as the price was right at $50 for this thing.) Many of the vid reviews on Youtube were pretty favorable, so I'm optimistic.
Copyright and it's licensing is essential to opensource software. If you care about kodi, you care about opensource. If you care about opensource, you care about its abuse.

If this legal stuff is crap, then your media experience under kodi is fuelled by crap.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
Maybe I should've titled this thread "Review" instead of "Impressions". I hear you guys about GPL violations, but that's a separate issue from features, functionality of the box. And, shouldn't it be something the Kodi foundation addresses with VidOn privately, especially (or more so) as they're a sponsor?

Anyway, back to topic, I ordered a HiMedia Q5 4K 3D to compare with VidOn. Former has gotten some buzz here, and especially over at Futeko forum, so it looked like worth trying out. Also, no membership/sub to worry about as with VidOn, and they don't call their XBMC/Kodi implementation HiMedia XBMC/Kodi. Appears you can use any Kodi version and use a "wrapper" app that basically launches their player (vs. Kodi's) to play 3D ISO's, MKV's, etc.
[H]i-[d]eft [M]edia [K]een [V]ideosaurus
My HT
(2015-02-27, 14:55)hdmkv Wrote: Maybe I should've titled this thread "Review" instead of "Impressions". I hear you guys about GPL violations, but that's a separate issue from features, functionality of the box. And, shouldn't it be something the Kodi foundation addresses with VidOn privately, especially (or more so) as they're a sponsor?

Anyway, back to topic, I ordered a HiMedia Q5 4K 3D to compare with VidOn. Former has gotten some buzz here, and especially over at Futeko forum, so it looked like worth trying out. Also, no membership/sub to worry about as with VidOn, and they don't call their XBMC/Kodi implementation HiMedia XBMC/Kodi. Appears you can use any Kodi version and use a "wrapper" app that basically launches their player (vs. Kodi's) to play 3D ISO's, MKV's, etc.

I have this box and can confirm this. Box is the best box I have had so far.
  • 45(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Latest VidOn Box Impressions3