• 15(current)
Win HOW TO - Launch MPC-HC/MPC-BE with madVR as an External Player
I'll make a note of that. Some time this year I plan to update this guide to focus on MPC-BE rather than MPC-HC because MPC-BE is still in active development and MPC-HC is only applying small updates to new versions. Many of the sections will be updated.
There is a way to integrate Jriver as external player for Kodi?
No, JRiver is media front-end, not a player, so you can't skip straight to the media player portion from Kodi. Would be nice, but not likely possible.
Congratulations for this wonderful guide. Following the instructions I set MPC-HC with madVR and external Kodi player. I still have a rather serious problem, when I launch the vision of my files MPC it opens correctly but goes immediately on pause, to view the film I have to click on Play and everything works without problems. If I change the video rendering of MPC from madVR to internal everything works normally. What should I check? Thank you.
It might be a bug with MPC-HC. Try using MPC-BE. I have a similar issue with MPC-HC starting paused. It doesn't seem to impact everyone.
I originally posted this in the Intel Coffee Lake (NUC) forum but got no response so hoping I might get some here.

What am I doing wrong? I recently got an nuc8i3 and this week got a new Vizio PX75-G1. When I use the builtin netflix app and play 4k hdr content it looks great. When I run Windows on it and set Windows to HDR mode it looks like crap. Literally the non-HDR desktop looks more amazing. Next problem I have is even when I turn on Kodi with windows set to HDR mode the tv is reporting its still running in HDR10 mode. I thought going into a non-HDR app was suppose to put it into SDR mode and then when you quit Kodi it goes back into HDR mode. I followed most of the guide from this post (I stopped where you start doing the post-processing settings, basically I ended after I set MadVR to passthrough HDR to the display). Decided to fire up Kodi and not convinced anything is working. When I leave windows in SDR mode it doesn't switch to HDR mode when playback starts and when I have windows in HDR mode the picture looks washed out.
(2019-08-19, 01:37)pletopia Wrote: I originally posted this in the Intel Coffee Lake (NUC) forum but got no response so hoping I might get some here.

What am I doing wrong? I recently got an nuc8i3 and this week got a new Vizio PX75-G1. When I use the builtin netflix app and play 4k hdr content it looks great. When I run Windows on it and set Windows to HDR mode it looks like crap. Literally the non-HDR desktop looks more amazing. Next problem I have is even when I turn on Kodi with windows set to HDR mode the tv is reporting its still running in HDR10 mode. I thought going into a non-HDR app was suppose to put it into SDR mode and then when you quit Kodi it goes back into HDR mode. I followed most of the guide from this post (I stopped where you start doing the post-processing settings, basically I ended after I set MadVR to passthrough HDR to the display). Decided to fire up Kodi and not convinced anything is working. When I leave windows in SDR mode it doesn't switch to HDR mode when playback starts and when I have windows in HDR mode the picture looks washed out.

Don’t ever turn on Windows HDR. It simply doesn’t work. The whole point is to automatically engage your display’s HDR mode when needed and turn it back off after use. No manual fiddling required.

What files are you trying to play back in HDR? Do they have appropriate HDR flags that would trigger a display to switch modes?
(2019-08-19, 01:37)pletopia Wrote: I originally posted this in the Intel Coffee Lake (NUC) forum but got no response so hoping I might get some here.

As was stated, Windows HDR outputs everything as HDR. This is only beneficial if you are playing an HDR video. Is that at least working correctly?

Unfortunately, Intel doesn't have any API's available to automatically trigger HDR mode without Windows HDR. That only works with a Nvidia or AMD GPU.
(2019-08-19, 12:25)Warner306 Wrote:

As was stated, Windows HDR outputs everything as HDR. This is only beneficial if you are playing an HDR video. Is that at least working correctly?

Unfortunately, Intel doesn't have any API's available to automatically trigger HDR mode without Windows HDR. That only works with a Nvidia or AMD GPU. 
I don't think its working as the couple files I tried looked washed out just like the desktop. Looked better when watching them in Windows SDR mode.

So I would need to be in Windows HDR mode all the time being that its a NUC ?
Were you watching them with MPC + madVR? I'm not familiar with the Intel drivers, so I don't know what you might be missing. I think you need to select D3D11 presentation and 10-bit output in madVR and check the option to send the HDR metadata to the display.

You only want to enable Windows HDR when playing HDR videos. Or SDR content is upconverted to HDR by Windows.
(2019-08-19, 17:09)Warner306 Wrote: Were you watching them with MPC + madVR? I'm not familiar with the Intel drivers, so I don't know what you might be missing. I think you need to select D3D11 presentation and 10-bit output in madVR and check the option to send the HDR metadata to the display.

You only want to enable Windows HDR when playing HDR videos. Or SDR content is upconverted to HDR by Windows.

Yes MPC + madVR. both with just loading up the file manually in MPC and also having kodi launch mpc for me.

Why I orignially posted in the coffee lake nuc forum as I was hoping someone with my model (or something similar) had got it running properly and could guide me through their settings as the guide is pretty extensive and I might have mucked it up somewhere along the way. I know I didn't go ALL the way through the guide but I figured I did enough to at least get it basically running in HDR10 mode like my files are encoded.
Amazing thread, Warner, thanks a lot !

(the same applies to the madvr guide, awesome, best I've seen)
Glad you got some value from it. I don't think I could write it again.
(2019-07-01, 22:07)flavio1961 Wrote: Congratulations for this wonderful guide. Following the instructions I set MPC-HC with madVR and external Kodi player. I still have a rather serious problem, when I launch the vision of my files MPC it opens correctly but goes immediately on pause, to view the film I have to click on Play and everything works without problems. If I change the video rendering of MPC from madVR to internal everything works normally. What should I check? Thank you.

I was having the same problem. I found that if I added a 1 second delay to the "autochange fullscreen monitor mode" everything worked correctly. You will find this option in options>Playback>Fullscreen>Change delay from "0" to "1".
i followed this guide...and i am getting a strange problem....
when i start kodi, the external player launches with no file playing.  then i close it, and it operates fine.  videos launch in mpchc fine.  but how can i get the initial launching of mpchc to stop?

i turned on debugging and looked inside, cant tell what is going on.  there is some "no such player" errors for mpchc, but i dont really understand why.
then i read some posts about two different playercorefactory locations, but i am using the right one (the profile) the system one is not touched.

windows 10, kodi default except for emby and bingie addons.
  • 15(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
HOW TO - Launch MPC-HC/MPC-BE with madVR as an External Player7