Dual Core 1Ghz Processor Cortex A9 ARMv7 processor
1GB DDR3 RAM
Gigabit Ethernet
802.11 a/b/g/n WiFi
Bluetooth 4.0
Integrated IR receiver
Optical S/PDIF output
2x powered USB ports
HDMI 1.4 with CEC (allows you to control Vero with your TV remote)
Full HD 24Hz output
3D ready

https://getvero.tv/

Blog
http://progress.getvero.tv/
I really like Sam's work and do appreciate it.

But like MediaPi said its not a match for chromebox.
I wanted to give support on kickstart but I am not spending $200 for this box.
Hi,

First and foremost, the device is ARM based, not x86.

"they...amazon, apple, google are not forcing you to buy any content". Very true, but for most cases people do. And all these vendors lock down their devices to at the very least restrict your content sources.

The CuBox-i is indeed a cheaper device, but it lacks vendor support. I'm committed to supporting the Vero as a flagship OSMC device. You are getting a retail grade product (plug and play) which you may not get with other devices.

I am sorry for the price -- but that's the cost of an initial run. The objective is to allow enough headroom to really invest in the software and some of the new features such as the App Store. I know if it was $99, that some people would still complain it is to steep. It costs what it costs and I actually put in an effort in reducing the sale price by avoiding things like Kickstarter.

"but i feel insulted especially with his marketing talk"

Not meant to insult. If you look at a Fire TV, with its quad core processor, there is no way that the device is profitable. At best they are breaking even. However the quad core processor is negated by the overhead of Android. Android means you lose low latency processing and 24Hz support. It's a good tinkerers toy, but as I said earlier, Vero is more for those that just want something to work
I suppose there comes a time that you eventually start trading on your previous efforts, that being Raspbmc.....

Just jumped on to the Solidrun website and specced up a natural competitor that being a CuBox-i2 with WiFI and Bluetooth. - $89.99
Only does 10/100 Mbps Ethernet - not Gigabit - the CuBox-i2eX does that at $109.99. (add $15 for a remote)
How much bandwidth do you need for 3D BluRay iso playback ?

The CuBox-i2(eX) does not come with a quality remote and is unable at the moment to de-interlace live TV and play HD Audio.
It does not come with compatible power plugs for those of us living outside of the US/Japan/Euro either.
I'm not sure if it supports on the fly 24p switchable video playback at the moment ?

A proper competitor would be a Chromebox plus the very responsive Bluetooth Replacement Remote for Amazon Fire TV Stick at $14.99, total: $155 - $175 depending on Amazon's price cycle.
This is where the real competition lies plus you get the ability to play 4K video, use Netflix etc when using a dualboot setup.
Power plugs for those of us living outside of the US/Japan/Euro still an issue however.

Judging by the developer's previous efforts I would think Vero would virtually be a plug and play device.
It comes with a quality remote and I suspect, very minimal setup will be needed and the device would just work with great online support.

Some people I bet would be willing to pay that bit extra for a device from a proven developer.

My 2cents...

This product sounds interesting. Sam, on your site, the specs show "3D ready" and 24fps support. Re: 3D, MVC (3D BD ISO) as well? What about 23.976?
[H]i-[d]eft [M]edia [K]een [V]ideosaurus
My HT
(2014-11-25, 16:29)wrxtasy Wrote: I suppose there comes a time that you eventually start trading on your previous efforts, that being Raspbmc.....

Just jumped on to the Solidrun website and specced up a natural competitor that being a CuBox-i2 with WiFI and Bluetooth. - $89.99
Only does 10/100 Mbps Ethernet - not Gigabit - the CuBox-i2eX does that at $109.99. (add $15 for a remote)
How much bandwidth do you need for 3D BluRay iso playback ?

The CuBox-i2(eX) does not come with a quality remote and is unable at the moment to de-interlace live TV and play HD Audio.
It does not come with compatible power plugs for those of us living outside of the US/Japan/Euro either.
I'm not sure if it supports on the fly 24p switchable video playback at the moment ?

A proper competitor would be a Chromebox plus the very responsive Bluetooth Replacement Remote for Amazon Fire TV Stick at $14.99, total: $155 - $175
This is where the real competition lies plus you get the ability to play 4K video, use Netflix etc when using a dualboot setup.
Power plugs for those of us living outside of the US/Japan/Euro still an issue however.

Judging by the developer's previous efforts I would think Vero would virtually be a plug and play device.
It comes with a quality remote and I suspect, very minimal setup will be needed and the device would just work with great online support.

Some people I bet would be willing to pay that bit extra for a device from a proven developer.

My 2cents...

This is the market I am targetting.

(2014-11-25, 16:31)hdmkv Wrote: This product sounds interesting. Sam, on your site, the specs show "3D ready" and 24fps support. Re: 3D, MVC (3D BD ISO) as well? What about 23.976?

24Hz and 23.976Hz

Yes, it will play 3D BD rips (raw)
*comment removed*
Hi MediaPi,

Thanks for that.

It's nearer around £119 for the UK price. Everyone that was on the newsletter got a discount, so it will bring it to that price at checkout.
Great Job..

Do you mean your Devices support Bluray 3D.ISO frame packed and HD Audio (DTS HD MA and DOLBY TRUEHD) ?
MY CURRENT MEDIA PLAYER | MY HOME THEATER
MINIX NEO U22-XJ COREELEC v19 MATRIX | EGREAT A10 | NVIDIA SHIELD | LG 75 NANO90 DV/HDR+ | Sony 43 Android TV HDR
XBOX SERIES X  | PS4 PRO 4K | JBL 9.1 System 5.1.4 DTS:X/ATMOS 
I have only tested the device with SBS 3D content at the moment.

DTS HD MA and Dolby TrueHD bitstreaming is supported
movie78 is thinking the same thing I am... if this box plays frame-packed 3D ISO's in 3D mode, you have our interest. Especially as you've already confirmed hd audio and 23.976/24.
[H]i-[d]eft [M]edia [K]een [V]ideosaurus
My HT
(2014-11-25, 17:04)Sam.Nazarko Wrote: I have only tested the device with SBS 3D content at the moment.

DTS HD MA and Dolby TrueHD bitstreaming is supported

Can't you test Frame Packed Bluray 3D ISO?
MINIX NEO U22-XJ COREELEC v19 MATRIX | EGREAT A10 | NVIDIA SHIELD | LG 75 NANO90 DV/HDR+ | Sony 43 Android TV HDR
How about multichannel Flac's?
6 channels at 88Khz (or higher) at 24bit resolution

thx
(2014-11-25, 17:05)hdmkv Wrote: movie78 is thinking the same thing I am... if this box plays frame-packed 3D ISO's in 3D mode, you have our interest. Especially as you've already confirmed hd audio and 23.976/24.

Give me a couple of days and I'll test how well this performs.
(2014-11-25, 17:36)Sam.Nazarko Wrote:
(2014-11-25, 17:05)hdmkv Wrote: movie78 is thinking the same thing I am... if this box plays frame-packed 3D ISO's in 3D mode, you have our interest. Especially as you've already confirmed hd audio and 23.976/24.

Give me a couple of days and I'll test how well this performs.

If it does,then maybe the price tag is worth it,but if not then $199 will be hard to swallow, especially since you can get Chromebox/OpenElec for $120 to $150.
  • 1(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Vero OSMC11