• 6(current)
Headless Kodi
(2015-01-23, 15:00)fizze Wrote: Any ideas why this is happening?
I've used the same configure flags for Frodo and Gotham builds successfully in the past....

Try the flags on normal Helix or Master (depending which headless you run). I have a feeling that this is unrelated to this branch. You probably need to disable randr too. And there are a couple of flags I wouldn't use on this branch (the shared one for example). I for example compile kodi without any disables with this branch and it works.
If you have problems please read this before posting

Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

"Well Im gonna download the code and look at it a bit but I'm certainly not a really good C/C++ programer but I'd help as much as I can, I mostly write in C#."
How do I run the docker creation script?
I installed wheezy x64 and docker. It says error if I run it as a BASH-script.

Forget it I used this: https://www.digitalocean.com/community/t...-of-images
Can this be compiled to work with pvr.vuplus so that EPG can be updated to central mysql ?
is it possible to reduce the installation of packages to run kodi-headless? e.g remove all the display-stuff from the dependencies?
On a NAS there is usually no Monitor or Desktop-Interface
Philips TV with Kodi 20.2 with IPTV --- Orbsmart 500 Android 21 alpha/beta as Online-radio/TV in the kitchen
Are profiles supported by headless Kodi?

I currently use texturecache script by milhouse to trigger library scans and have Kodi running on a workspace I never look at because I only use it on this machine to update different profiles libraries in Kodi and use mysql. Texturecache with properly setup config (or command line args) it will switch profiles to scan them.

I would love to not run Kodi on my main PC and move it to my server if it supports profiles.

I'm going to guess I'd just have to transfer userdata directory with profiles to servers .kodi directory once headless kodi has run the first time?
(2015-01-28, 08:59)Solo0815 Wrote: is it possible to reduce the installation of packages to run kodi-headless? e.g remove all the display-stuff from the dependencies?
On a NAS there is usually no Monitor or Desktop-Interface

Yes, the work here however is mostly geared toward getting all features (which makes sense) to work. After that we will work on limiting dependencies. Ofcourse these efforts could go side by side and we would love help on reducing dependencies overall!

(2015-01-24, 17:47)xayide Wrote: Can this be compiled to work with pvr.vuplus so that EPG can be updated to central mysql ?

I see no reason why this wouldn't work, however I personally hate mysql Smile Are you on Windows and want it prebuilt? Because afaik its built by default on Linux no? (I don't use pvr)

(2015-01-28, 09:24)three80 Wrote: Are profiles supported by headless Kodi?

I currently use texturecache script by milhouse to trigger library scans and have Kodi running on a workspace I never look at because I only use it on this machine to update different profiles libraries in Kodi and use mysql. Texturecache with properly setup config (or command line args) it will switch profiles to scan them.

I would love to not run Kodi on my main PC and move it to my server if it supports profiles.

I'm going to guess I'd just have to transfer userdata directory with profiles to servers .kodi directory once headless kodi has run the first time?

In general the idea is that it should work the same as normal kodi (its the same source afterall). However, I have not tried profiles and I am quite sure that some texture cache stuff might be bugged (or disabled). Tests in this area would be greatly appreciated so I know how to reproduce something which doesn't work.

I would not go out and swap out my production environment with headless just now though, soon perhaps Smile

Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.

"Well Im gonna download the code and look at it a bit but I'm certainly not a really good C/C++ programer but I'd help as much as I can, I mostly write in C#."
(2015-01-23, 17:13)topfs2 Wrote:
(2015-01-23, 15:00)fizze Wrote: Any ideas why this is happening?
I've used the same configure flags for Frodo and Gotham builds successfully in the past....

Try the flags on normal Helix or Master (depending which headless you run). I have a feeling that this is unrelated to this branch. You probably need to disable randr too. And there are a couple of flags I wouldn't use on this branch (the shared one for example). I for example compile kodi without any disables with this branch and it works.

True, I've compiled it without any flags and it worked fine.
I'd like to test it for a few weeks to see whether it's stable.

Can I have xbmc and kodi running at the same time without issues? Obviously I'll have to make sure they use different network ports..
that should work if one is headless.
Just need to care if your running them at the same time on the same desktop that both uses the same config files, which is probably likely to fail Smile

(2015-01-29, 16:17)topfs2 Wrote: Just need to care if your running them at the same time on the same desktop that both uses the same config files, which is probably likely to fail Smile

xbmc should use ~/.xbmc and kodi ~/.kodi
For posterity: XBMC is the minified build from the forums, it runs out of /opt/xbmc-server/ with portable_data folders.
I've compiled kodi with a prefix of /opt/kodi-server and it will also be run with portable_data folders.

So both are headless, and I want to keep both DBs running in parallel for testing kodi on all my clients.
(2015-01-29, 17:10)wsnipex Wrote:
(2015-01-29, 16:17)topfs2 Wrote: Just need to care if your running them at the same time on the same desktop that both uses the same config files, which is probably likely to fail Smile

xbmc should use ~/.xbmc and kodi ~/.kodi

oh I didn't realise it was kodi vs xbmc Smile thoguht it was headless and not at the same time, nvm me then Smile

(2014-12-29, 01:36)topfs2 Wrote: That is what we are working on here yes, my goal is mostly to have the possibility to turn gui rendering on/off. So less about making a pure server edition of kodi but more about having the possibility to run it without GUI.

I see potential value to this for a directfb app I have. Is it primarily a UPnP server/scraper or will it play media too? If there is video playback will there be any skinned UI or a defined layer for the OSD? Same questions for the HIDs will there be input devices during playback or is it all controlled remotely.

Martin
(2015-01-30, 03:20)emveepee Wrote:
(2014-12-29, 01:36)topfs2 Wrote: That is what we are working on here yes, my goal is mostly to have the possibility to turn gui rendering on/off. So less about making a pure server edition of kodi but more about having the possibility to run it without GUI.

I see potential value to this for a directfb app I have. Is it primarily a UPnP server/scraper or will it play media too? If there is video playback will there be any skinned UI or a defined layer for the OSD? Same questions for the HIDs will there be input devices during playback or is it all controlled remotely.

Martin

Its the full kodi source, so it will play media too. However, it won't have anything to output the video to (as video is tied to our gui engine, which is why we can do fancy transformations of the video). Sound will be outputted however. And we could possibly look into an API were video is sent over JSON-RPC. I reckon if your doing a directfb app you should probably just fetch the video stream and play it yourself though.

The same answer for input. Most, if not all, input comes from our windowing code, thus input will not be triggered in the headless version. The one exception to this is lirc and json rpc/event server remotes (and possibly gamepads but somewhat unsure on this), these are triggered outside the windowing code. But the vast majority of the input wouldn't be useful in a headless version.

I'm guessing what your asking is if you can just implement rendering in directfb and everything else is handled on the server? So you don't have to map input and video playback? If so, I think that might be a bit outside the scope of my efforts. However, we might accept PRs allowing it.

(2015-01-30, 09:18)topfs2 Wrote: I'm guessing what your asking is if you can just implement rendering in directfb and everything else is handled on the server? So you don't have to map input and video playback? If so, I think that might be a bit outside the scope of my efforts. However, we might accept PRs allowing it.

Ok thanks. Yes you largely have it, although the rendering would be limited to presenting a remote framebuffer using RFB protocol while the heavy GUI rendering is performed on another box. I'd still want to have input in app, I plan on using the Hauppauge protocol http://www.rst38.org.uk/mediamvp/protocol.html for that. If I can use a YUV overlay I don't need any UI for playback, but definitely would want the Kodi demux and a/v playback engines available to me.

Martin
  • 6(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Headless Kodi5