• 22(current)
Intel NUC - Broadwell (5th Generation CPU)
NUC5i3RYK experience so far:
Samsung 850 Evo M.2 120 GB SSD
2x4GB Kingston KVR16LS11/4
Win 8.1, Kodi 15.0 A2
NUC > HDMI > Marantz SR7008 > HDMI > Panasonic VT60 Plasma

Against

1. I installed the latest Intel Graphics Driver 15.36.18.4156 only to find I had display corruption over HDMI, but it disappeared when I rolled back to 15.36.14.4080. So it’s fixed, but I had to search to find the answer, which is not a good consumer experience.
2. USB wake from S4/5 not working. No matter what settings I check in BIOS or Windows 8.1, I can get no joy.
3. USB wake from sleep works from S3, but Kodi hangs on restarting – I just get a ‘WORKING’ circle of death in Kodi. I then have to minimise the Kodi window and shut it down, and restart Koodi from within the desktop. No solution yet.
4. Whenever Kodi starts after a system boot audio is muted. Can’t figure that one out yet. I don’t know whether the last issue is related to the HDMI audio sleep issue or not.
5. If you want to control Kodi (in Windows) from an ipad with the Official Kodi Remote by joethefox, you will need to install Bonjour. Don’t use Bonjour v1.0.6 – it doesn’t work – you have to download itunes and extract Bonjour v3.0.x from the executable with winrar or similar. That version works, when you turn on Zeroconfig in Kodi.

For

1. Great versatility, good picture and audio quality.
2. Copes with any codec.
3. Rock solid framerate sync (the downfall of anything Android).
4. HD audio passthru.
5. Can use outboard USB ASUS Xonar STU DAC in bit perfect mode with Windows drivers.
6. CPU fan very quiet and useful BIOS control options as well. CPU temps are not very high even with 0% fan, as long as no 4K or high efficiency codecs.

EDIT:
Re 2. above:
Settings in BIOS:

A). Wake on LAN from S4/S5 <Power On - Normal Boot>
USB S4/S5 Power <checked>
Wake on USB from S5 <checked>
- Can get USB keyboard wake from S4 (Hibernate), cannot get wake from S5 (Off).

B). Wake on LAN from S4/S5 <Stay Off>
USB S4/S5 Power <checked>
Wake on USB from S5 <checked>
- Cannot get any 'Wake on USB from S5' or wake from S4.

Why is there an interaction between the Wake from LAN settings and the USB action?

I had initially disabled Wake from LAN because the NUC keeps doing exactly that; every time another PC on the network looks at the network shares, the NUC wakes up and boots, which I don't want as this is a HTPC At the moment, I can't recomend this as a HTPC because of these wierd power switching issues.

Re 4. above: Seems to have rsolved itself.
Finally have my i3 set up and did a preliminary HEVC test run. Used the samples from divx.com. For some reason, Tears of Steel 4K only plays audio, all the other files play without noticable issues. When I've got some more time I'm going to try and get my hands on a better range of test files and have a closer look at CPU loads and settings. It's quite promising thus far, though.

Edit: Figured I'd better add that I was testing this on Kodi 15.0 alpha 2 running on Windows 8.1 with the NUC conncted to my Sony UHD TV over HDMI. Video settings are at 3840x2160@30fps, and display refresh rate is set to match the video. I did a quick test with the latest OpenELEC before and had issues with all 4K files.
Crazy, OT question for people with Intel NUCs and The Sims 4.

I apologize that my question is really out of left field BUT...... could somebody with an Intel NUC (one with at least HD 5500 gfx (preferably HD 6000))...... go into the gfx setting of The Sims 4 and tell me what the game automatically sets for your graphics (low, high, very high, etc) and what size of screen you're gaming on?

PS And the frames per second please.

Thanks
for you, in equal cpu (i3-5010u), what is better? this Nuc or ZBOX MI522 ?
Quick question before i buy, I can mount this NUC (planning in getting the i5 version) behind my TV and run my IR6 USB IR receiver --> https://www.google.com.au/search?q=HP+Me...58&bih=995

And I should get full remote functionality from my Harmony remote? Is this correct, considering this unit has built in IR?

edit, i see their is USB2 off internal header only, perhaps i will need to upgrade to a newer IR receiver that supports USB3?
(2015-04-11, 05:36)Canozzie Wrote: Quick question before i buy, I can mount this NUC (planning in getting the i5 version) behind my TV and run my IR6 USB IR receiver --> https://www.google.com.au/search?q=HP+Me...58&bih=995

And I should get full remote functionality from my Harmony remote? Is this correct, considering this unit has built in IR?

edit, i see their is USB2 off internal header only, perhaps i will need to upgrade to a newer IR receiver that supports USB3?

That should work. I haven't got an IR remote yet. The problem is that an external IR receiver becomes a USB device, and I can't get the USB wake from S4/5 to work at all. I'm trying to use a Logitech K830 keyboard to wake the NUC, but I have had no joy. The internal IR receiver in the NUC is my next option when the ebay IR remote arrives.
(2015-04-09, 10:18)nucmaster Wrote: NUC5i3RYK experience so far:
Samsung 850 Evo M.2 120 GB SSD
2x4GB Kingston KVR16LS11/4
Win 8.1, Kodi 15.0 A2
NUC > HDMI > Marantz SR7008 > HDMI > Panasonic VT60 Plasma

Against

1. I installed the latest Intel Graphics Driver 15.36.18.4156 only to find I had display corruption over HDMI, but it disappeared when I rolled back to 15.36.14.4080. So it’s fixed, but I had to search to find the answer, which is not a good consumer experience.
2. USB wake from S4/5 not working. No matter what settings I check in BIOS or Windows 8.1, I can get no joy.
3. USB wake from sleep works from S3, but Kodi hangs on restarting – I just get a ‘WORKING’ circle of death in Kodi. I then have to minimise the Kodi window and shut it down, and restart Koodi from within the desktop. No solution yet.
4. Whenever Kodi starts after a system boot audio is muted. Can’t figure that one out yet. I don’t know whether the last issue is related to the HDMI audio sleep issue or not.
5. If you want to control Kodi (in Windows) from an ipad with the Official Kodi Remote by joethefox, you will need to install Bonjour. Don’t use Bonjour v1.0.6 – it doesn’t work – you have to download itunes and extract Bonjour v3.0.x from the executable with winrar or similar. That version works, when you turn on Zeroconfig in Kodi.

For

1. Great versatility, good picture and audio quality.
2. Copes with any codec.
3. Rock solid framerate sync (the downfall of anything Android).
4. HD audio passthru.
5. Can use outboard USB ASUS Xonar STU DAC in bit perfect mode with Windows drivers.
6. CPU fan very quiet and useful BIOS control options as well. CPU temps are not very high even with 0% fan, as long as no 4K or high efficiency codecs.

Very good summary. Just wanted to comment on it.

1) thanks. Same problem here, so I need to downgrade. I was afraid it was a bios problem, just upgraded to newest.
2) confirmed! This is a bug. EDIT: Works from hibernate, but not shutdown.
3) working well for me. I'm on Isenguard with dx11 upgrade. Try it in development forum.
4) no problem here.
5) I have the old one, that one worked for me. And least I installed the standalone bonjour.

Apart from that similar setup(different brands) with the exception that I use a cec adapter between the nuc and amp
Win 8.1 64bit
NUC5i5RYK, Onkyo TX508, LG 42LM620T
(2015-04-11, 05:36)Canozzie Wrote: Quick question before i buy, I can mount this NUC (planning in getting the i5 version) behind my TV and run my IR6 USB IR receiver --> https://www.google.com.au/search?q=HP+Me...58&bih=995

USB2 devices can be plugged into USB3 without any problems.

As far as I can tell, you had to do quite a bit of work to get Harmony remotes to work as fully as possible but there are some really good guides on this site to help with that. I haven't taken that step yet - I'm still using mouse and keyboard while I continue to tweak things. Given how the Confluence skin looks, it will be interesting to see what navigation is like with a remote control. I suspect quite a bit of up/down/left/right navigation ...
(2015-04-11, 08:59)Helioy Wrote: Very good summary. Just wanted to comment on it.

1) thanks. Same problem here, so I need to downgrade. I was afraid it was a bios problem, just upgraded to newest.
2) confirmed! This is a bug.
3) working well for me. I'm on Isenguard with dx11 upgrade. Try it in development forum.
4) no problem here.
5) I have the old one, that one worked for me. And least I installed the standalone bonjour.

Apart from that similar setup(different brands) with the exception that I use a cec adapter between the nuc and amp
How does the CEC adapter work in practice? Does the NUC start up from S5 when you turn the TV on? Is this the one you have: https://www.pulse-eight.com/p/104/usb-hdmi-cec-adapter ?
Shouldn't we mention the Linux CIR Issue and the Intel Forums Thread in the first post here?
| myHTPC |
I agree.. these issues (not only the CIR but the problems with S4/S5 wakeup on USB, the linux driver compatibility issues (seperate PPA with updated drivers strongly recommended for Kodibundu) etc should be in the first post, as they are currently keeping me from buying.. I would rather buy the older generation that "just works"...
Might be an alternative after intel's epic fail: http://www.zotac.com/us/news/press-relea...ology.html

Edit: At least no trouble with CIR - cause there is none :-( (or documentation not uptodate)
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
What are the advantages of Broadwell? Maybe we should stay at Haswell and wait for the next CPU/NUC, maybe with an working CIR then Smile
| myHTPC |
(2015-04-12, 09:46)fritsch Wrote: Might be an alternative after intel's epic fail: http://www.zotac.com/us/news/press-relea...ology.html

Edit: At least no trouble with CIR - cause there is none :-( (or documentation not uptodate)

Interesting that although IR isn't mentioned in the specs that I can see, there is a suspiciously IR-window-like bit on the front of the box. Not that that means anything other than there is a bit of plastic on the front : http://www.zotac.com/us/products/mini-pc...llery.html
(2015-04-12, 11:37)-DDD- Wrote: What are the advantages of Broadwell? Maybe we should stay at Haswell and wait for the next CPU/NUC, maybe with an working CIR then Smile

The one thing quite a few of us were hoping for, HDMI 2.0 support (to allow 2160/50p and 60p output, isn't present - so I think a lot of us may wait until Skylake (that's the next gen after Broadwell isn't it?) which should have it. (Hopefully it will also support 2160/60p HEVC as well - well we can but hope)
  • 22(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Intel NUC - Broadwell (5th Generation CPU)6