• 13(current)
WIP Windows DirectX 11 upgrade test thread
(2015-05-02, 20:47)afedchin Wrote:
(2015-05-02, 14:39)Brainiarc7 Wrote: Hey man,

You have a DirectX 10.1 GPU.
This build requires a DirectX 11 GPU. Older GPUs are not supported.
DirectX11 application can run on DirectX9-capable hardware with limited features. we don't use DX11/10 specific features like tesselation or geometric shaders. So, DirectX 11 version of Kodi works as well with DirectX9-capable hardware as with DX11-capable hardware.

(2015-05-02, 15:27)Brainiarc7 Wrote: Here are the results on testing the DirectX 11 build:
Thank you for your feedback.

Thanks for the clarification, much appreciated.

Notes:

1. Some plugins cannot launch configuration windows when opened in settings mode. Example: trakt.tv. When you add the PIN , the plugin opens the auth frame window behind the settings panel, instead of placing the window infront of the panel. This is abnormal behavior.
New build:

Fixed:
  • A few small fixes and improvements.
  • Rebased to current master to include fixes and improvements.

Download link at the first post.

PS. If you have MilkDrop2 installed already, you need to update it also from here https://github.com/afedchin/Milkdrop2-XBMC/releases
I have been running the new build for a couple of days. Gui and playback of SD to 3D are pretty solid and I haven't experience any issues yet. And also, the milkdrop 2 is amazing :-)

Great work!

There's some lag when playing back video in the background and moving into movies from home screen, but that is also present in the dx9 version.
Win 8.1 64bit
NUC5i5RYK, Onkyo TX508, LG 42LM620T
Just installed the May 3 version with Milkdrop2, so far so good. Haven't noticed any glitches or anything out of the ordinary here. The one noticeable difference is this version loads much faster than the Isengard nightly I was running before.
May 3rd does not crash on Windows 10 build 10122 and guess what!... it is 1000 times faster than Isengard or Helix.

Can I know why it is faster other stable and nightly?
Yeah - that I also must say in public - I wrote it to Anton via Mail some months ago. This DX11 implementation is the best kodi experience I have ever seen ... and thus I worked to implement XVBA, VAAPI and most linux based Code. This here is a new area.

@anirudh7: It's quite clear, old Kodi code is based on ancient DX9 and only was kept alive as much as needed.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
It is. I'm so happy to run this version. I hoping for a rebase soonish though. I hope that when the screen-off, kodi crashing bug is fixed. Also CEC v.3 should have been implemented.

I was sad to read that this won't make it into isengard though. Sad
Win 8.1 64bit
NUC5i5RYK, Onkyo TX508, LG 42LM620T
I think we will see a "semi-official" DX11 v15 build :-) which is easy to rebase whenever a 15.x version is released.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
(2015-05-24, 09:09)anirudh7 Wrote: Can I know why it is faster other stable and nightly?
Despite on what fritsch said, the dx11 version isn't so fast as seems with other things being equal. in some cases I've seen a decrease in performance especially on older hardware. I think what currently windows 10 drivers supports oldest dx9 API no so good as dx12. This implies the decreasing performance and segfaults on win10 and dx9 version.

@Helioy, I'm awaiting a beta2 release to publish new dx11 version based on it.

@fritsch, who knows Smile
Btw. You got green light, when v16 is branched!
Hardware: AMD HD5450 512MB
GPU Driver: 15.5 beta | Display Driver: 14.502.1014.1001
Display capable of 0-255: Yes
Debug Log: http://pastey.org/view/522ff0d7
Issue #1: Contrast and brightness, test is from the same items on the same hardware with the same drivers.
Issue #2: FPS on GUI dropping constantly resulting in 'skin lag'
Screenshots: See below (these are screenshots comparing the issue, NOT mockups.

http://imgit.org/i/2015/05/31/569bdff035...1f8f4c.png

http://imgit.org/i/2015/05/31/e0361860ef...154ec9.png
Please read the online manual (wiki) & FAQ (wiki) before posting.

Skins: Estuary | Xperience1080
Opinion: Never purchase HTC products
Not sure if any of this will be worthwhile to afedchin.

But some additional things you can check by running dxdiag see https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/157730

watch gallery

Under System tab you'll see the DirectX Version installed.

Under Display tab you'll see the Feature Levels your hardware supports.
@Piers
1. Please, try to disable hardware decoding then select sofware or pixel shaders rendering method then try to reproduce the issue with same content. This needs to understand a possible reason of the issue.
2. Can you describe more? Provide a sreenshot with debug output (with FPS) please.

Edit:
@jjd-uk
Thank you, in most cases if you be able to run dx9 version then dx11 version will work also.
(2015-05-31, 16:12)afedchin Wrote: @Piers
1. Please, try to disable hardware decoding then select sofware or pixel shaders rendering method then try to reproduce the issue with same content. This needs to understand a possible reason of the issue.
2. Can you describe more? Provide a sreenshot with debug output (with FPS) please.

Edit:
@jjd-uk
Thank you, in most cases if you be able to run dx9 version then dx11 version will work also.

1. Disabling 'Allow hardware acceleration - DXVA2' resolves this issue with both pixel shaders and software.
2. Here are a few screenshots showing the FPS output.

Please read the online manual (wiki) & FAQ (wiki) before posting.

Skins: Estuary | Xperience1080
Opinion: Never purchase HTC products
1. Thanks. I'll take a look at this.
2. You have 100% load of both CPU cores this causes GUI lags.
  • 13(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Windows DirectX 11 upgrade test thread6