• 25(current)
WIP Windows DirectX 11 upgrade test thread
@braz, looks like something eats all memory. Does this occur only in dx11 version or 15.rc1 has same issue?
@jpsdr
can you test this version July 8 + pdb
I will this evening.
@jpsdr - due to dirty region rendering and what not, the fps counter in GUI was utterly broken since ages, as it only reflected the GUI updates and not the actual fps of the video. Masses of users complained that something is broken because the fps value didn't show 23,97fps even though the video was playing smooth as silk in the background
@da-anda - Ok.

@afedchin
Ok, i've made tests. Results are strange.
First test :
I started Kodi, browse and start the file. Display stutter and was not smooth during the 15-20 first seconds, and suddenly play was perfectly smooth, correct. I wait a little, hit "previous" to restart the play at begining, play was correct.
I stoped the file, return to browser, re-lunch the file, play was correct.
I stopped the file and exit Kodi.
Debug log is here.

Second test :
I started Kodi, browse and start the file. Display stutter and was not smooth... and stayed like that, even after 1 or 2 minutes of play. I even noticed sometimes CPU peaks at 100% on one of the CPU (never the same) in the display log.
I stopped the file and exit Kodi.
Debug log is here.

I am, for now, using KodiSetup-20150705-92877ba-Isengard without any issue.
@jpsdr
Thanks for testing this.
Make sure what you have not any other directx application was launched or some application which can causes high load of CPU or especially GPU. You can try to check GPU loading through the GPU-Z utility.
This PC is dedicated and build specialy and only to play xbmc. So, the only programs i've installed on it are Windows 7, the hardware drivers, Filezilla server to allow me to transfert file by ftp from my "standard" PC and Kodi. Nothing else is running on it. In Kodi, i disable dxva, working on CPU only.
Do you want me to provide you my configuration file with all my settings ? (If yes, tell me which xml file i should provide you).
My PC is connected to my audio receiver connected to my TV, all by HDMI.
I've an nVidia 720 card (latest driver version), the driver of the card is configured : Desktop is configured in "Full Screen Video", output in "YCrCb". Windows desktop is configured in 1920@1080 at 23.976fps.
I think also that if it was something external which created CPU load, maybe it will also create issues with others Kodi version, not only the DX11 version.
Your GT720 is more than enough for Kodi. I'm don't understand realy what's wrong with your setup. Try to update nVidia drivers, try to play with 3D settings in NVIDIA Control Panel (maybe some kind of power saving setting causes low GPU performance).
As i've said, driver is up to date.
When i install the nVidia drivers i remove (don't install) all the 3D stuff. I only install the video core driver and the high definition audio driver.
Dxva in Kodi is disabled (which means decoding video is software pure, but in any case, 99% of my videos are 10 bits H264), resize of video in video play settings is set to Spline36.
I don't know what more i can provide. If you have any information tool or test program you want me to run, tell me.
I don't think it's relevant or have any effect, but the PC running Kodi is totaly offline.
You've found no clues in the both debug log ?

In the first test debug log, i think display issue suddenly disappeared around line 812 or 813.
(2015-07-10, 09:39)jpsdr Wrote: As i've said, driver is up to date.
When i install the nVidia drivers i remove (don't install) all the 3D stuff. I only install the video core driver and the high definition audio driver.
I meant 3D acceleration not stereoscopic 3D. It's not possible to do not install 3D acceleration stuff Smile

(2015-07-10, 09:39)jpsdr Wrote: I don't know what more i can provide. If you have any information tool or test program you want me to run, tell me.
Please download GPU-Z utility. Launch it, then run Kodi, enable Use fullscreen window ... in the settings, start playback of movie and see GPU loading graph at second tab in GPU-Z. It should be about 25%-40% (depends on hardware)

(2015-07-10, 09:39)jpsdr Wrote: I don't think it's relevant or have any effect, but the PC running Kodi is totaly offline.
it doesn't matter.

(2015-07-10, 09:39)jpsdr Wrote: You've found no clues in the both debug log ?
no any clues in the logs.

As a temporary solution I suggest to set Enable HQ scalers for scaling above to 10% value in Setting -> Videos -> Acceleration. No need to scale 1920x1080 movie to 1920x1080 screen it's useless work Smile
Thanks.
I have a long WE, so i'll make some tests during it, check with GPU-Z, hoping that enable "Use fullsceeen windows" will have no other side effect.
Ok for 3D... Wink
About scaling... I've in the screen adjustment reduced the windows display to adjust for the overscan of the TV, if i put to 10%, i'll not have HQ scaling for 1920x1080 resized to the screen adjustment.
If you are testing on your main HTPC and don't want to mess with what you would normally use for viewing, then bear in mind that you can install any builds provided by afedchin into a separate folder in Program Files then run in portable mode so all settings sit within that installation folder, and that will leave everything for your main Kodi install untouched.
(2015-07-10, 11:32)jpsdr Wrote: About scaling... I've in the screen adjustment reduced the windows display to adjust for the overscan of the TV, if i put to 10%, i'll not have HQ scaling for 1920x1080 resized to the screen adjustment.
Screen adjustments in Kodi doesn't affect on video scaling. It always scaling video to full window size. As for me I prefer switch off overscan on TV to get pixel to pixel picture.
If i switch off overscan TV (means going into a specific display mode in my case), i loose some TV/Cinema features i want to keep.
One of them, for exemple, is dectection of 4/3 video and insertion of variable grey bars instead of black bars, to prevent overburning (plasma screen).
If screen adj doesn't affect video scalling, i'll follow your advice and set it to 10%.

It's not realy messing what i use to view, it's just that, for what i've understood, "Use fullscreen Windows" use the display differently than usual "fullscreen", and as my issue is with display, i'm just "affraid" that changing the display mode change the context, and so hide or create issues, and is finaly not relevant.

But i'll see when i do the tests.
The adjustments in settings/system/video calibration will scale the display of video playback as well as the GUI. Which I think is what jpsdr was referring to. I've created sample images:

The black area is the actual full area of my monitor's display. You can see I adjusted it in from the top, bottom and sides. The second image shows a movie played back with that adjustment.
  • 25(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Windows DirectX 11 upgrade test thread6