• 29(current)
WIP Windows DirectX 11 upgrade test thread
(2015-07-17, 23:17)Martijn Wrote:
(2015-07-17, 23:16)levi.baker88 Wrote: Question for a Dev, does Kodi come preloaded with either AMD or Nvidia drivers?

NO, you must supply/install the drivers yourself or they are auto installed by Windows itself.

Cheers bud.

(2015-07-18, 08:48)Helioy Wrote:
(2015-07-17, 19:37)Uukrul Wrote: Could someone with a graphics card compatible with HEVC try the sample http://www.elecard.com/assets/files/othe...f_qp27.265 from the Elecard homepage?

I purchased a GTX 960 to replace a GTX 650TI and MPC-HC can play the sample smoothly with hardware acceleration. With Kodi, all I get is the same choppy playback I got with the GTX 650TI.

Here is the debug log.

Broadwell i5 nuc with 1080p display. Playback seems fine at first sight, but there is a lot of stuttering and ~300 skipped frames after 2 minutes, but I think that is because of too high framerate for the unit as it is only able to do semi x265 hardware decoding.

In the process of downloading this now to try. What CPU do you have?
Media_Center_Master (wiki) || First_time_user (wiki) || Kodi Store || T-shirts: Villian, Protest, Graffiti, Emoji, Black on Black, K-18L
levi.baker88: i5 broadwell nuc 2*4gb ram ... Intel NUC5i5RYK
Win 8.1 64bit
NUC5i5RYK, Onkyo TX508, LG 42LM620T
Was curious to know what Uukrul has.

Edit: MPC-HC does play it flawlessly and Kodi has a stutter around the 2min mark about once every 2-3 secs. Could be the video container?

Debug log: http://pastebin.com/LzZt4hah
Media_Center_Master (wiki) || First_time_user (wiki) || Kodi Store || T-shirts: Villian, Protest, Graffiti, Emoji, Black on Black, K-18L
(2015-07-18, 12:45)levi.baker88 Wrote: What CPU do you have?

AMD FX-6300, but I don't think it should matter. With MPC-HC the CPU uses a mere 2% playing the sample:

Btw, is your GTX 970 showing the [H/W] text?. According to this article:

Quote:One advantage the GM206 GPU holds over GM204 is its new video engine. While the GeForce GTX 970 and 980 support H.265 (HEVC) video encoding, only the GeForce GTX 960 decodes this forward-looking format. The GeForce GTX 960 promises to be an excellent choice for home theater PCs with the ability to play back 4K video at low power, and natively supporting HDCP 2.2 content over HDMI 2.0.

it doesn't support HEVC video decoding and that's one of the reasons I got the GTX 960.
Nope, don't have [H/W], probably due to what you quoted above. May need to await a response from a Dev to see if it is DX11 related otherwise this issue may need to be moved to it's own thread.
DX11 offers multithreading but as I understand such features currently aren't implemented. Any plans on doing that? And DX12 brings asynchronous shaders, which allow other compute tasks to run in parallel with graphics. Seems like a nice upgrade as well.

Or aren't such performance features interesting at all for Kodi on Windows?
So, i downgraded my Laptop back to Win 7 and with this, he can use Feature Level 9.3 through DX11.1 and DXVA Works.
(2015-07-18, 23:59)levi.baker88 Wrote: Nope, don't have [H/W], probably due to what you quoted above. May need to await a response from a Dev to see if it is DX11 related otherwise this issue may need to be moved to it's own thread.
It's not DX11 related issue. Please wait 16 alpha1 to be released to check this again.

(2015-07-19, 18:22)Robotica Wrote: DX11 offers multithreading but as I understand such features currently aren't implemented. Any plans on doing that? And DX12 brings asynchronous shaders, which allow other compute tasks to run in parallel with graphics. Seems like a nice upgrade as well.

Which features currently not implemented?
DX12 available only on Win10. We have no plans to drop support Windows Vista/7/8/8.1 I don't think what dx12 will bring us to new level of performance. Don't trust marketing, they were saying same about dx11.

(2015-07-19, 19:06)nille02 Wrote: So, i downgraded my Laptop back to Win 7 and with this, he can use Feature Level 9.3 through DX11.1 and DXVA Works.
Thank you for your feedback.
(2015-07-19, 21:32)afedchin Wrote:
(2015-07-19, 18:22)Robotica Wrote: DX11 offers multithreading but as I understand such features currently aren't implemented. Any plans on doing that? And DX12 brings asynchronous shaders, which allow other compute tasks to run in parallel with graphics. Seems like a nice upgrade as well.

Which features currently not implemented?
DX12 available only on Win10. We have no plans to drop support Windows Vista/7/8/8.1 I don't think what dx12 will bring us to new level of performance. Don't trust marketing, they were saying same about
Thnx. OP said that same implementation as dx9 is used. So I wondered if multithreading and async shaders, indeed heavily marketed features of dx11 and dx12,
would benefit Kodi gui on Windows. Apparently it doesn't.
It same in most cases but not in all. During work on dx11 I've found and got rid of a several bottle necks, made a several improvements and of course added usage new features of DX11, such as deferred rendering.
(2015-07-12, 00:57)bluechris Wrote:
(2015-06-29, 09:18)Shine Wrote:
(2015-06-28, 20:27)afedchin Wrote: @Shine I'll take a look. But always on top for full screen mode sounds strange. This mode is already top most.
"Always on top" means it stays topmost, it won't minimize the instant you try to do anything else with your computer, or if e.g. another program pops up a message box.
Yes, people have been asking for this for years, but it wasn't possible in D3D9 - with DX11 it's possible.

@afedchin did you had time to see what @Shine says here? its very crucial for me also since in my dual monitor setup i get always panning in windowed mode and in full screen mode my browsing monitor becomes useless since if i touch anything in it kodi or isenguard minimises.

thx for your great work.

(2015-07-12, 12:56)afedchin Wrote: @bluechris,
I'll definitely take a look asap.

Now that DX11 is merged into master, I will rebase and PR my changes against master. This will take till late August or September, though, since I'll be mostly afk for a while due to work and vacation. Also, I want to fix the remainung issues I found, before PRing.
New build 15.0 Isengard
  • Fixed issue where Kodi cannot start on GPU whose driver not exposes feature levels 9.x
  • Rebased onto Isengard release

Download link at the first post.
Great work
I get a Black Screen if i try to move Kodi from Display 1 on the Radeon HD 5770 to Display 2 on the Intel IGP. The same happen in windowed Mode but then also the display driver are resetted.

Log, Sacktrace and Dump, Kodi Real Fullscreen

----------------

The same with driver reset and crash. It generates 5 crashdumps and stacktraces.

Log, Sacktrace and Dump, Kodi Fullscreen Window

--------------

Logs, without driver reset.

Log, Sacktrace and Dump, Kodi Window

-------------

All 3 cases work with Kodi 15 Isengard Release.
@nille02,
Thanks for your report. Will be fixed in next build.
  • 29(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Windows DirectX 11 upgrade test thread6