• 33(current)
WIP Windows DirectX 11 upgrade test thread
I am using PowerDVD. I thought one benefit of this project was to integrate 3D Blu-Ray playback to Kodi.
Hi.

1st...........

I'm naïve to many things audio/video. I've been following this thread and others, stumbling to understand exactly what it's all about so that I might learn. From what little I gather, DirectX 11 might cure the occasional skipped frames I experience during playback. There are points of interest that hinder diagnosing though.

I really don't understand what the difference between a 24fps and a 23.976fps title is? I always assumed when people refer to their frame rates, they generalize 24fps and associate it with 24Hz switching on their panel. The exact frame rate is 23.976 revealed in a titles properties so is this just getting rounded up and labeled 24? I have never ripped a Blu-ray, looked at it's properties and seen anything other than 23.976fps.

During playback, I bring up the codec info screen and always see 23.976 material rendered at 23.98. 23.98 holds steady. I assume the codec info is 'rounding' 23.976. Just the same, I see skipped frames occasionally, maybe once every minute or so. I don't even know if the codec info I'm looking at is reliable? I've read devs posts that say don't put too much faith in it.

I too am using W8.1. If this is an O/S issue, I have no intentions of downgrading to W7 that some post is the cure since I use an all in one box. I'm also reserved to upgrade to W10 for other reasons. I doubt it's an Nvidia driver issue since every update since day 1 never addressed anything as far as these skipped frames. Kodi 14.2, 15, and 16 all have the same behavior.

Please correct where my assumptions are wrong and help me have a better understanding so that I might have a starting point to cure this problem. It is annoying.

2nd............

To add to my confusion, the 1st post by the OP here states "You have to install NVIDIA 3DTV Play to be able to use hardware based stereoscopic 3D feature."
Does hardware based mean that if you do not have a 3D panel, you can purchase 3rd party hardware and software so that your 2D panel can render 3D material? I wrote a guide for those of us that have actual 3D panels. I would like to update it with the addition of hardware/software solution for Nvidia 2D users that desire 3D playback. If the above is true, please advise me and I will add it else correct me.

HOW TO - Kodi 3D Guide Internal and External Players
HOW TO - Kodi 2D - 3D - UHD (4k) HDR Guide Internal & External Players iso menus
DIY HOME THEATER WIND EFFECT

W11 Pro 24H2 MPC-BE\HC madVR KODI 22 GTX960-4GB/RGB 4:4:4/Desktop 60Hz 8bit Video Matched Refresh rates 23,24,50,60Hz 8/10/12bit/Samsung 82" Q90R Denon S720W
European blurays are 24.0 fps
US / worldwide blurays are 23.976 fps

A TV most of the time only shows 24, but maintains two modes 23.976 and 24.0 hz - on windows you see the first as 23 hz and the latter as 24 hz.
It is absolutely no issue to playback 23.976 fps with a Video Reference Clock running at 24.0 hz. But only if(!) you resample audio.

For passthrough audio and 23.976 fps content, it is a must that video clock runs at 23.976 fps, the TV runs at 23.976 hz so that the audio and video stay in sync (no drops / dupes) (alternatively you can play 23.976 fps at 59.94hz 3:2 pulldown).
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
European blurays are 24.0 fps
US / worldwide blurays are 23.976 fps

Ahhhhh. That explains a lot. The confusion(s) stem from posters based on their location regions and I'm in the US.

A TV most of the time only shows 24, but maintains two modes 23.976 and 24.0 hz

So, does this mean when my TV switches refresh rate from 60Hz to 24Hz, even though it flashes a change pop up to 24Hz, it's actually switched to 23.976 (matching my 23.976 title)?

- on windows you see the first as 23 hz and the latter as 24 hz.

I'm using Windows with a desktop resolution of 60Hz. When I play a title, my TV switches from 60Hz to 24Hz. I check my Nvidia control panel to see what my GPU has switched to and it displays 23Hz. Should it display 24Hz? I have read, W8.1 in particular, has a bad habit of switching to 23Hz instead of 24Hz. Is this why people have suggested downgrading to W7? If so, I may have a workaround.

It is absolutely no issue to playback 23.976 fps with a Video Reference Clock running at 24.0 hz. But only if(!) you resample audio.

I passthrough audio to my AVR. Should I be resampling some other way somehow, so I don't have issues?

For passthrough audio and 23.976 fps content, it is a must that video clock runs at 23.976 fps, the TV runs at 23.976 hz so that the audio and video stay in sync (no drops / dupes) (alternatively you can play 23.976 fps at 59.94hz 3:2 pulldown).

What would I change to obtain 3:2 pulldown. Would I need to force 60Hz for my GPU?

Thank you for enlightening me.

I should add in Kodi:
Match refresh rate is enabled. With it disabled, my TV does not switch and remains at 60Hz as does my GPU. Is this 3:2 pulldown?
Sync Playback to Display is disabled. I've found that with it enabled, Dolby TrueHD malfunctions with random audio drops.
HOW TO - Kodi 2D - 3D - UHD (4k) HDR Guide Internal & External Players iso menus
DIY HOME THEATER WIND EFFECT

W11 Pro 24H2 MPC-BE\HC madVR KODI 22 GTX960-4GB/RGB 4:4:4/Desktop 60Hz 8bit Video Matched Refresh rates 23,24,50,60Hz 8/10/12bit/Samsung 82" Q90R Denon S720W
Mmh - your comments don't make sense, sorry :-) I can't write it clearer I think but I try:

Quote:I'm using Windows with a desktop resolution of 60Hz. When I play a title, my TV switches from 60Hz to 24Hz. I check my Nvidia control panel to see what my GPU has switched to and it displays 23Hz. Should it display 24Hz? I have read, W8.1 in particular, has a bad habit of switching to 23Hz instead of 24Hz. Is this why people have suggested downgrading to W7? If so, I may have a workaround.
Perfectly fine. The switching is - like many other things - only an AMD catalyst issue.

Quote:What would I change to obtain 3:2 pulldown. Would I need to force 60Hz for my GPU?

3:2 pulldown is the only solution for people that don't have a 23.976 or 24.0 mode. Why should you - with a valid 23.976 mode force anything?

For your settings:

Adjust Refreshrate to match video: On Start / Stop
Sync Playback to Display: Disabled (!) because you are using passthrough - if you don't use passthrough anymore set this to enabled.

All fine on your hardware - nothing needs a change.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
Is it at all possible to test this build concurrently with the regular Kodi still installed? Just in case of problems, I can still run the regular Kodi.
Server: Synology Diskstation 1511+ with 8x WD Red NAS 3TB drives, DSM 5.2
Main HTPC: Home Built i3, 8GB RAM, Corsair 128GB SSD, nVidia 630GTX, Harmony Home Control, Pioneer VSX-53, Panasonic VT30 65" 3D TV, Windows 10, Isengard
Bedroom HTPC: Zotac-ID 41 8GB RAM, 128GB SSD, Rii micro keyboard remote, Samsung HW-E550, Sony 32" Google TV, OpenElec 6.0 beta 4
Just install into a test folder and use portable mode ( kodi.exe -p) so that it looks for data in the portable_data folder (copy your stuff in there).
http://kodi.wiki/view/Windows_FAQ#Portable_mode

I actually run my main Kodi this way too now - it keeps all the data nicely encapsulated and the whole thing is trivial to back up then

With this approach you can have many version alongside each other quite simply...at one point I had Frodo, Gotham, Helix and Isengard betas all running, so I could test my addons. But I've given up now on the older ones...

Main thing to be careful about is DB versions when running multiple things alongside of each other.
Addons I wrote &/or maintain:
OzWeather (Australian BOM weather) | Check Previous Episode | Playback Resumer | Unpause Jumpback | XSqueezeDisplay | (Legacy - XSqueeze & XZen)
Sorry, no help w/out a *full debug log*.
Ok I have 3dplay installed and configured. I turned off windowed mode in Kodi and it told me my current 1920 X 1080 60Hz is not 3d compatible. I do not want to run my tv always in 3d mode but for the sake of testing I exited and set my desktop resolution to 24Hz. I launched Kodi and got the same message. Unchanged it back and played a 3D movie and I started out SBS just like always and then the tv flipped into 3D mode. Is this the way this build is supposed to work? Seems identical to the regular build. Not sure I get the error about the current resolution as it should only change when needed for a 3D movie, right?
Main HTPC: Home Built i3, 8GB RAM, Corsair 128GB SSD, nVidia 630GTX, Harmony Home Control, Pioneer VSX-53, Panasonic VT30 65" 3D TV, Windows 10, Isengard
Bedroom HTPC: Zotac-ID 41 8GB RAM, 128GB SSD, Rii micro keyboard remote, Samsung HW-E550, Sony 32" Google TV, OpenElec 6.0 beta 4
Set your desktop resolution to 1920x1080@60 or any other as you want. Kodi will switch to supported 3D resolution when it's needed. Only Enable Stereo 3D settings for all supported displays checkbox should be enabled in Screen Resolution control panel
(2015-08-04, 11:03)afedchin Wrote: Set your desktop resolution to 1920x1080@60 or any other as you want. Kodi will switch to supported 3D resolution when it's needed. Only Enable Stereo 3D settings for all supported displays checkbox should be enabled in Screen Resolution control panel

That's what I did but I still get a message about it not bring a 3D compatible resolution. I guess that is an nVidia message?
Where you get the message? Can you provide a Debug Log please?
Hello,

I recently updated to Windows 10 and was using the latest DX 11 version from the first post and have come across an interesting issue. I have noticed it on Jarvis nightlies as well so I do not know if it is directly related to DX 11 cause I am not certain if that has been added to master yet... The problem is some animations do not work correctly but reinstalling Isengard 15.1 nightly resolves the issue. I have looked through the log and it does not mention anything. The animation currently looks like this:

Code:
<animation type="conditional" reversible="false" condition="[!IsEmpty(Control.GetLabel(4445)) + Control.IsVisible(4445)]">
    <effect type="rotatey" center="278" end="-90" time="1040" tween="cubic" easing="in"/>
    <effect type="rotatey" center="278" start="-90" end="-90" time="0" delay="1040"/>
    <effect type="fade" start="0" end="100" time="0" delay="1000"/>
    <effect type="rotatey" center="278" start="90" end="48" time="440" delay="1040" tween="cubic"/>
</animation>

I think it has to do with the fade animation since it appears to fade out but not back in. I am uncertain how to get it to work correctly with the DX 11 or Jarvis builds or why it currently works in non DX 11 Isengard Huh

Thanks
Please describe how can I reproduce an issue (skin, view, element, etc.)
(2015-08-06, 12:59)afedchin Wrote: Please describe how can I reproduce an issue (skin, view, element, etc.)

My skin (link in my signature), you need to have group movies in sets active in Kodi settings, it is the ShowCase view with enable boxset mod active and mod delay set to 2 seconds in the view settings section located in the side menu, then if you scroll to a movie set the case should have a tri-fold opening animation.

Thanks for looking into this Smile
@mikesilvo164,
Will be fixed in next build.
  • 33(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Windows DirectX 11 upgrade test thread6