• 54(current)
WIP Windows DirectX 11 upgrade test thread
@Ed76
only video output makes sense. please ignore any issues with GUI. So test shows again driver ignores application settings and outputs video as it decides. Please test all possible cases:
1. Driver full + Kodi full
2. Driver full + Kodi limited
3. Driver limited + Kodi full
4. Driver limited + Kodi limited.
ok, i will test again this evening and report here the results.

@phate89: "automatic choose color room for video" means in ati catalyst driver options you can set the color range for video only. if you leave this empty i guess it means "automatic choose color room for video" or in other words "let application decide witch color range is used". and you can choose/force full or limited there.
I know what that means.. I have an amd card too. But IMHO disabled means no dynamic range.. so it uses the output you chose.
The problem is there's no explanation of this anywhere and how amd choose and what it choose
@phate89: "....so it uses the output you chose." iam not sure if i understand you. where i chose? you mean the chose within kodi?

with kodi 15(dx9) i leave color range video setting within catalyst empty/diabled. then i set limited within kodi and the black clipping video was ok, means limited output. if i do exactly the same with kodi 16 i get full range video output. if i force limited for video within catalyst i get the correct limited output.
@Ed76
which version of windows do you use?
No the pixel output you chose..if you set full rgb as a pixel output with dynamic range you get full range for videos.. but I'm not sure actually..when I get home I'll do some test. I also looked for alternatives to test but nobody use the method kodi uses. Kudos to afedchin for its work on this...
@afedchin: win 8.1 64bit

@phate89: all tests i do is with full rgb output. some weeks ago i read an interesting article in kodi wiki that you get the best picture quality with full rgb output + limited color range (if tv is limited). thats why i try to get this working.
(2016-02-27, 17:55)Ed76 Wrote: @afedchin: win 8.1 64bit

@phate89: all tests i do is with full rgb output. some weeks ago i read an interesting article in kodi wiki that you get the best picture quality with full rgb output + limited color range (if tv is limited). thats why i try to get this working.
It's true.. it's the only way to get the colors without conversions..
@afedchin: you wrote "driver full", "driver limited"...... do you mean pixel format (rgb full/limited) or should i set rgb full in every case and change full/limited for video output only?
For video only
(2016-02-27, 16:15)afedchin Wrote: @Ed76
only video output makes sense. please ignore any issues with GUI. So test shows again driver ignores application settings and outputs video as it decides. Please test all possible cases:
1. Driver full + Kodi full
2. Driver full + Kodi limited
3. Driver limited + Kodi full
4. Driver limited + Kodi limited.

ladies and gentlemen, here are the resultsSmile

catalyst: pixel format: full rgb for all test

1) catalyst: force full range for video, kodi full range, result: video full range
2) catalyst: force full range for video, kodi limited range, result: video full range
3) catalyst: force limited range for video, kodi full range, result: video limited range
4) catalyst: force limited range for video, kodi limited range, result: video limited range

video output concerning black clipping testvideo: 3) = 4) = mpc-hc (madvr). because in 3) the color range of gui is also good i could live with option 3)

with this testversion i am able to get a correct color range (video + gui) with full rgb output. another big advantage for me (and maybe others) is: because of forcing limited range within catalyst drivers also other external players with no possibility to set color range (amazon/netflix-html5 player) have correct video color. (thats not possible with kodi 16 final/ "new method" for setting color range).

with kodi 16 final (untouched, without my shader replacement) i get following results:

1) video full range
2) strange, in testvideo i can see blinking lines 17-25, but between 2-16 nothing is blinking/flashing (also if i rise the brightness of tv to 100%)
3 ) video limited range (but gui full range)
4) video is much to bright

hope it helps you, 1000 thanks for all your work!
@Ed76 i don't understand the strange part about 2) with kodi final. The goal of calibration is to see only blinking bars from 17.
The calibration video has limited color. You know it's well calibrated if you see only 17 and after blink
(2016-02-27, 21:28)phate89 Wrote: @Ed76 i don't understand the strange part about 2) with kodi final. The goal of calibration is to see only blinking bars from 17.
The calibration video has limited color. You know it's well calibrated if you see only 17 and after blink

i am not sure:

1) colors,especially blacks, dont look good in "real" videos/tv with this setting.
2) manual: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/8968...Manual.pdf

"To get an idea how the pattern works, begin by setting black-level very high. With black-level set high you should see how the pattern contains a number of vertical bars flashing over a dark background. When turning down black-level the lower numbered bars will begin to disappear into the background. To get the darkest black possible, without losing information, you want to turn down black-level to the lowest setting where 17 remains flashing."

as far as i understand if you set the brightnes of tv very high, you must be able to see all flashing bars (see picture in manual). then lower brightness of tv till 17 bars blinking (50% for my tv). with 2) i never see any bar <17 (also with 100% brightness of tv).
need someone with Intel and nVidia to test this also.
questions regarding intel test:

which binaries? http://mirrors.kodi.tv/test-builds/win32...e_test.exe ?
should "dxvapasscolorrange" setting be used for the test? what value of the variable?

my driver settings: output quantization set to full range, input range set to application settings.
are these ok for the test result to be valid?

maybe we should establish some rules regarding expected correct results, for example:
1. using test disk avshd709, test file 1-Black Clipping.mp4: bars 17+ should visibly blink, 2-16 only after raising brightness
2. same test disk, test file 1-Grayscale Ramp.mp4, banding visible but no more than: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5acG8I79NxM
  • 54(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Windows DirectX 11 upgrade test thread6