• 1(current)
Proposal for small Forum Structure change
I've been looking through the forum and I see the need for an area I feel is missing.

I'll go into detail in order to best explain my proposal. (the below is my opinion based on observation and belief in purpose)

Requirements for a Support and Product Forum

1. Easy to access from around the market (in this case the world, as Kodi is globally used) - This is met.
2. A clear structure without overdoing catergories but making it easy to find what's needed - This is met.
3. Clear separation of active stable product, development, social and general - This is partially met.
4. A team of forum staff and members willing to help - This is met.
5. Maintaining a structural balance for first time users, developers and Team Kodi members with as little confusion as possible - This is partially met.

Present Node Structure

Section 1. Announcements, Info, and General Discussion
Section 2. Help and Support
Section 3. Development
Section 4. Off-Topic
Section 5. Read only forums

Note: Section 1a refers to 'Forum Rules', Section 3e refers to 'Python Add-on Development' etc.

Proposed Structure with reason

Key: RED = change | ORANGE = name change | GREEN = no change

Section 1. Announcements and General Kodi Discussion

a. Official Announcements & Forum Rules [merge of Forum Rules (1a) & Kodi Announcements (1b)]
b. General Discussion [name change]
c. Hardware Discussion [new section: split from section 2, this has become a more 'heated' area and support should not be in the same section as general chat about a specific item]
d. Website & Forum Issues or Suggestions [moved from section 3]

Section 2. Help and Support (removal of "Help and Support" is not indicated as a name change: there's no need to have it written so many times)

a. Tips, tricks, and step by step guides [removal from section 1 and added to section 2]
b. Operating System-specific
c. Hardware
d. PVR & Live TV [name change due to some not understanding that PVR also means how they access their 'Live TV' part from within Kodi]
e. Skins
f. Add-ons
g. Supplementary Tools
h. View Guides in the Kodi Wiki [I feel an external link to kodi.wik would be useful here]

Section 3. Development (removal of "Development" is not indicated as a name change: there's no need to have it written so many times)
a. Feature Suggestions [bumped up one place to section 3a, all subsequent items will not have an indication for a change or order due to this]
b. Core Development [name change due my understanding that this sub-forum is for specific discussion of the 'core' parts of Kodi]
c. PVR [name change (apart from removing "Development" due to understanding for developers of what the PVR is]
d. Skinning
additional sub-forum for section 3d - Add-on Skin Requests [I feel this would be useful for the many talented python developers who may want to request a more 'inclusive' default skin for their add-on, I believe it would also help bring in new skinners]
e. Python Add-ons [moved to match current structure of the above Section]
f. Scrapers
g. Screensavers & Visualizations
h. Translations & Languages
i. Team Kodi Featured Discussions (read-only) [moved due to being read-only]

Section 4. Off-Topic
This seems like it's wasted and not really used, uncertain about this area. Personally I'd add this into section 1 as a last option.

Archive & Garbage
Leave 'as is' apart from above name change.

I realise the changes suggested will take less time to do that it has to write about them, but it's a small change that I feel would benefit the community, reduce confusion for first time users and provide a more consistent forum structure.

Does anyone agree, or is this me being too picky?
Please read the online manual (wiki) & FAQ (wiki) before posting.

Skins: Estuary | Xperience1080
Opinion: Never purchase HTC products
Since you bring up the topic of forum structure changes is it OK if I also bump these additional change request?

Add a "BSD support" sub-forum under the "XBMC General Help and Support" forum section
http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=133420

Add a "Enigma (Dreamcast/Vu+)" subforum under the 'PVR Help and Support' section
http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=214947

Add a "FilmOn" subforum under the 'PVR Help and Support' section
http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=219743

And rename the "HTS Tvheadend" subforum to only "Tvheadend" which is their new name
http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=214948
Tvheadend developers agree that renaming is needed here
http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=214949
As a great believer in simplification, I like this!
I'll implement all of this, unless there are great objections from within the team.
Kib from me +1

EDIT: Only slight change I might make was "b. Core Development" maybe calling it something else. Not sure what though.

Off topic could definitly go up higher into section 1 imo
Do I really need to make that BSD joke? Wink
Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe
Special BSD forum for our 1 user? Big Grin
Glad these suggestions are found to be (so far) helpful.

@zag - maybe instead of "Core Development" it could be: "Base Development" or "Main Programme Development", or simply "Kodi Application Development." ... or no change at all Tongue

My only concern is simplifying the sub-forum names. If you have change 'Add-ons Help and Support' to just 'Add-ons', then the forum name is less clear by itself. This is not a problem when the forum is viewed in a browser, but when I, for instance, get an email about a new thread in a subscribed forum, it only states the parent forum's name. Perhaps there are other examples of where this could be an issue.
I'm not saying the name changes shouldn't happen because of this (in fact I agree that it makes forum navigation clearer), I just wanted to point out one side effect of the change.
Quote:e. Python Add-ons [moved to match current structure of the above Section]
You don't list other forums in that section as 'Foo add-ons' so just "Python" please if you want to remove 'development' from the name. To make it clearer that's not the place to ask about addon support.
structure proposal looks good from my end
(2015-02-27, 19:04)ruuk Wrote: My only concern is simplifying the sub-forum names. If you have change 'Add-ons Help and Support' to just 'Add-ons', then the forum name is less clear by itself. This is not a problem when the forum is viewed in a browser, but when I, for instance, get an email about a new thread in a subscribed forum, it only states the parent forum's name. Perhaps there are other examples of where this could be an issue.
I'm not saying the name changes shouldn't happen because of this (in fact I agree that it makes forum navigation clearer), I just wanted to point out one side effect of the change.

Maybe a way around that is to keep 'Support' for the Help & Support section, but leave the development area without anything extra. Or vice versa.

Here's an alternative based on what's been mentioned so far.

Proposed Structure with reason

Key: RED = change | ORANGE = name change | GREEN = no change

Section 1. Announcements

a. Official Announcements & Forum Rules [merge of Forum Rules (1a) & Kodi Announcements (1b)]

Section 2. Discussions [new section]

a. General [moved out of section 1]
b. Hardware [new section: split from section 3, this has become a more 'heated' area and support should not be in the same section as general chat about a specific item]
c. Website & Forum Issues or Suggestions [moved from section 4]
d. Off-Topic [moved from section 5 - section 5 completely removed]

Section 3. Support (removal of "Help and" is not indicated as a name change: there's no need to have it written so many times. "Support" has been added instead to help people using mobile device viewers (think zag mentioned it))

a. Tips, tricks, and step by step guides [removal from section 1 and added to section 2]
b. Operating System-specific Support
c. Hardware Support
d. PVR & Live TV Support [name change due to some not understanding that PVR also means how they access their 'Live TV' part from within Kodi]
e. Skins Support
f. Add-ons Support
g. Supplementary Tools Support
h. View Guides in the Kodi Wiki [I feel an external link to kodi.wik would be useful here]

Section 4. Development (removal of "Development" is not indicated as a name change: there's no need to have it written so many times <- this stays the same)
a. Feature Suggestions [bumped up one place to section 3a, all subsequent items will not have an indication for a change or order due to this]
b. Kodi Application [name change due my understanding that this sub-forum is for specific discussion of the 'core' parts of Kodi]
c. PVR [name change (apart from removing "Development" due to understanding for developers of what the PVR is]
d. Skinning
additional sub-forum for section 3d - Add-on Skin Requests [I feel this would be useful for the many talented python developers who may want to request a more 'inclusive' default skin for their add-on, I believe it would also help bring in new skinners]
e. Add-ons [moved to match current structure of the above Section]
f. Scrapers
g. Screensavers & Visualizations
h. Translations & Languages
i. Team Kodi Featured Discussions (read-only) [moved due to being read-only]

Section 5. Archive (Garbage removed because it's a read-only archive section, users are not able to reply)
a. Spam & Rule Violation [makes more sense]
b. XBox Support [removal of "Archive:"]

I would also add, that rather than having the annoying yellow bar staying in place for months, why not add an external link to the blog in the new Section 1 so it would look like this:

Section 1. Announcements

b. Latest Version: 00.0 [external link to blog post with further details]

I think I got all of it
  • 1(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Proposal for small Forum Structure change0