• 6(current)
Proposal for small Forum Structure change
Could split it between "WIP Showcase" (read-only) and a "WIP testing" where they can put it up as beta
Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe
We already have 'Work in progress' and 'Release' prefixes for threads but a small minority don't seem to understand what they mean. I'm open to constructive criticism and don't want to hit the 'Report' button unless I really have to but it is getting out of hand.
i meant the showcase as "read-only"
(2015-03-14, 03:33)Piers Wrote: Kib, you're going to hate me. I have a further suggestion for the Add-on support area. I'll go through the basics before writing a detailed layout, just to see what you think.

The Problem
Please see Add-on Support -> Video Add-ons (the problem should be obvious).
It comes down to 170 pages of add-ons which makes it near impossible to find the correct one or browse in a constructive manner (I know, the Wiki exists).

The Solution
Split some add-on types (support forum only) into section - similar to the way the "General Support" sub-forum is handled.

A very rough idea of this is the following:

Idea 1
Video add-ons
- Official Repository (covers all included in the repo.)
(from here we split into major languages as most can be defined by language and/or country locks)
- English
- Spanish
- etc

Idea 2
Video add-ons
- Network Players (covers HBO, iPlayer, USTV, 4oD, USTVNow, YleAreena, Ruutu, etc.)
- On Demand (Pay) (covers Netflix, Amazon, etc.)
- On Demand (Free) (covers items that aren't channel networks and do not require payment to work)
- Music Videos (Vevo and numerous others)
- Other

My preference is Idea 2, it's not a massive change but, as with the recent forum changes, it makes browsing that section not feel like an endless list.

Hi Piers, me again Smile

I like the general idea but I'd tweak the specifics.

To me On Demand is always used in connection with official services, so iPlayer for example is generally referred to as a On Demand service. So I'd have:

"On Demand (pay)" as you have it.

"On Demand (free)" for HBO, iPlayer, USTV, 4oD, USTVNow, YleAreena, Ruutu, etc.

"Web Services" for all the stuff that scrapes web sites for free content
(2015-03-17, 10:41)Hitcher Wrote: We already have 'Work in progress' and 'Release' prefixes for threads but a small minority don't seem to understand what they mean. I'm open to constructive criticism and don't want to hit the 'Report' button unless I really have to but it is getting out of hand.

Only those invited to the Skinners group would be able to post in "WIP Showcase" subforum.

With "WIP Testing" I wonder if we could restrict thread creation to the Skinners group as well, but anyone can then post to a thread that has been created. So only when a skinner feels ready for public testing do they create the thread in "WIP Testing".
Both ideas sound good to me.
Could we get Artwork Packs renamed to just "Artwork" and put it as a root forum.

It contains threads for all the metadata sites and is easily missed by people.
(2015-03-17, 10:59)jjd-uk Wrote:
(2015-03-17, 10:41)Hitcher Wrote: We already have 'Work in progress' and 'Release' prefixes for threads but a small minority don't seem to understand what they mean. I'm open to constructive criticism and don't want to hit the 'Report' button unless I really have to but it is getting out of hand.

Only those invited to the Skinners group would be able to post in "WIP Showcase" subforum.

With "WIP Testing" I wonder if we could restrict thread creation to the Skinners group as well, but anyone can then post to a thread that has been created. So only when a skinner feels ready for public testing do they create the thread in "WIP Testing".

What about allowing moderation of posts in your own threads in the WIP forum?
I'm not sure what's possible as I don't have Super Moderator rights, that would be @da-anda @Kib and @Martijn I think
(2015-03-17, 18:06)jjd-uk Wrote: I'm not sure what's possible as I don't have Super Moderator rights, that would be @da-anda @Kib and @Martijn I think

Not me but I applaud the idea
so which solution do we want and I'll give it a try to set permissions accordingly.
  • A) split forums and have a WIP (only users belonging to skinners group can post) and WIP-testing subforum (only skinners can create, all can comment)
  • B) lock the WIP forum (only skinners can create and post, others are readonly)
jurialmunkey has just posted this -

Discussion - rules for this subforum
(2015-03-18, 06:17)jurialmunkey Wrote: In light of recent events, I thought it would be good to start a discussion on some rules that can keep the focus of posts in this forum on the development of skins - especially considering this is a development subforum.

We already have a clear and simple method for labelling threads: Concept; WIP; and Release. These are straightforward and work well.
In addition to these I would propose:
  • No posts requesting an ETA - if the developer has an ETA they will put this in the first post of the thread
  • No posts requesting a developer release the work in an unfinished state.
  • No posts commenting on how long a skin is taking to complete / wishing the development timeframe was faster
  • No posts complaining that a skin has been abandoned

-- Posts that say "I can't wait for this skin!" are ok
-- Posts that say "When are you going to release this skin?! I want to use it now." are not.

Basically, its all just a reminder that skins take a long time to complete and that sometimes people's lives get in the way.
What are everyone's thoughts/ideas? Any additions/changes etc?

If we could get a sticky with some rules that we could kindly point offending posters to then hopefully the discussion can then stay on track.
I've been thinking about this idea a bit more -
(2015-03-19, 14:41)jjd-uk Wrote: Skin Ideas subforum - An area open to everyone for posting of ideas, concepts, mockups etc.

WIP Concepts subforum - An area where only members of the skinners group can post and would be read only to everyone else. This is for early work that's deemed not ready for end users but the skinner may want to make it public to exchange ideas with other skinners, also having this early work public can act as a source of inspiration to other skinners even if it ends up abandoned.

WIP Testing subforum - An area that only members of the skinners group can create new threads and but anyone can post. Once the skinner deems something has progressed enough or wants end user feedback they create a new thread in this forum for beta testing and general user feedback.
How about we make it even simpler?

[Concept] Ideas, mock-ups, and suggestions.
  • Basically anything that hasn't reached the coding stage. Keeping it separate would also help when looking for ideas and inspiration.

[Development] Work in progress.
  • Skins that have started life but aren't anywhere near ready for release.

[Release] Alpha and Beta releases.
  • Skins that have reached the cycle where they're ready for testing.

Everyone is able to post in them and, hopefully, know what to expect from them.
imo it's overkill to split up the skin wip forum.

on top of that the forum mods will have to move skin threads between the various subforums all the time (depending on the development stage of the skin).
we have thread prefixes to indicate the status of a skin, that's good enough for me.
Do not PM or e-mail Team-Kodi members directly asking for support.
Always read the Forum rules, Kodi online-manual, FAQ, Help and Search the forum before posting.
(2015-03-21, 13:49)ronie Wrote: we have thread prefixes to indicate the status of a skin, that's good enough for me.

I agree but it seems it's not good enough for some users.
  • 6(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Proposal for small Forum Structure change0