• 3(current)
NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box)
hopefully this comes out on schedule in May and I am sure to order one. Hopefully it will replace my NUC and FiretV.
Features i would like on this device.
64 GB or 128 GB storage..
Kodi w/3D Bluray iso Playback
DTS HD MA DOLBY TRUEHD and ATMOS

Then i would say goodbye to Chromebox...
MY CURRENT MEDIA PLAYER | MY HOME THEATER
MINIX NEO U22-XJ COREELEC v19 MATRIX | EGREAT A10 | NVIDIA SHIELD | LG 75 NANO90 DV/HDR+ | Sony 43 Android TV HDR
XBOX SERIES X  | PS4 PRO 4K | JBL 9.1 System 5.1.4 DTS:X/ATMOS 
Only thing is loss of Amazon Prime, which I do pay for and use. Amazon has been adding great content lately.
[H]i-[d]eft [M]edia [K]een [V]ideosaurus
My Family Room Theater
I think if you have Google Play store access, you can download Amazon app for Prime content.

I think!.. I could be wrong though. But I agree they have lately added some good stuff.
You're right; here it is. Hopefully will be compatible with this box.

To movie78, I doubt we'll get "3D Bluray iso Playback" with this. Re: storage, specs suggest inbuilt is expandable via microSD card, including installing apps/games to them.
[H]i-[d]eft [M]edia [K]een [V]ideosaurus
My Family Room Theater
That app only works on 2nd+ gen GoogleTV devices. Not AndroidTV, tablets, or phones.
It'll be interesting to see if they ever offer a base unit alone for around $139.99 ... or a media version with the remote and not the controller for $149.99.

I'm sure they won't at launch, but they list compatibility with Harmony right in the specs, and have to know that part of this target audience with this box will be streamers (the Roku, Fire TV, Nexus Player crowd). They would have to come down on price a bit to directly compete.

I already have a Harmony remote, so if they sell lower cost base units I think it wouldn't even be a choice, most would buy this. I wonder if a DS4 will sync to it and be usable for gaming. During the stream, Huang mentioned the controller uses advanced direct wifi or something to cut a few milliseconds. I wonder if their controller is the only controller that will work successfully with the system.

My main focus will be streaming/Kodi, but the gaming aspects are a bonus.
I do believe other Bluetooth controllers work fine with the Shield Tablet so take a look at that for what may be possible in the control department. But yeah hopefully we see a more media focus bundle come out down the line at a cheaper price point then $200.
I wish these sites would compare benchmarks on these devices to something x86. I just can't get a good reference of performance looking at how it compares to mobile only soc's.
I hope Steam releases an app for this device (in home streaming).

That would really make this a wonderful kick-ass streamer/gaming console. I have an nvidia gaming PC and if I can put it away in a closer somewhere and get this to play all my high end games such as Crysis series, I would be over the moon.
(2015-03-04, 18:52)movie78 Wrote: Features i would like on this device.

+1
(2015-03-04, 18:52)movie78 Wrote: Features i would like on this device.

It's expandable by 128GB via MicroSD
Don't know about 3D BD ISO playback (truthfully, don't care) Wink
As already mentioned is supports playback up to 24-bit/192KHz over HDMI and USB. So yeah, most likely you will be able to pass-through HD audio.

However, I would caution anybody looking to get one, if it's possible things like HD audio pass-through may not work out of the box. There is probably going to need to be some tweaking to Kodi to get those things working.

(2015-03-04, 19:39)essential Wrote: It'll be interesting to see if they ever offer a base unit alone for around $139.99 ... or a media version with the remote and not the controller for $149.99.

I'm sure they won't at launch, but they list compatibility with Harmony right in the specs, and have to know that part of this target audience with this box will be streamers (the Roku, Fire TV, Nexus Player crowd). They would have to come down on price a bit to directly compete.

Why would they need to come down on the price? If it does what it says it does on paper it will be like no other device available.

What would you pay to get everything it offers on the most powerful ARM box available and that does it without a bunch of hacks to get it to work? I'd say it would be well worth the price......I mean come on, it's $140 for just the box. That's just $40 more than the most powerful ARM box currently available and it stomps those on the benchmarks.

EDIT: And the controller uses WiFi Direct, which means it connects directly to the box and doesn't need access point (like a router). Basically it's like bluetooth, but it connects using WiFi.
Forum Rules (wiki) | Banned add-ons (wiki) | Wiki (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
(2015-03-04, 20:25)ozkhan1 Wrote: I hope Steam releases an app for this device (in home streaming).

That would really make this a wonderful kick-ass streamer/gaming console. I have an nvidia gaming PC and if I can put it away in a closer somewhere and get this to play all my high end games such as Crysis series, I would be over the moon.
I am looking into this(and Razer Cortex) for the same reason, I have a gaming/htpc(which is overkill for Kodi) and would like to have a low powered frontend machine to stream games to. Unfortunately all options (currently) don't have the ability to stream DD Live sound to the frontend, and this isn't worth it without surround sound.
(2015-03-04, 22:22)Tinwarble Wrote: As already mentioned is supports playback up to 24-bit/192KHz over HDMI and USB. So yeah, most likely you will be able to pass-through HD audio.
However, I would caution anybody looking to get one, if it's possible things like HD audio pass-through may not work out of the box. There is probably going to need to be some tweaking to Kodi to get those things working.

i have himedia Q5 , only with himedia player Audio HD 7.1 passthrough( DTS-HD, Dolby Atmos ) or decoding work without problem.
it is possible by pass os limitation with proprietary app, i hope android tv fix this limitation.
LG OLED 55E8 - M9702(oppo 203) -  Dinobot U5PVR(Enigma 2) - Meccol KI pro(COREelec) - Sony PS5
AndroidPremiumPlayer blog - HI - Frequency Switcher 
(2015-03-04, 14:41)Skank Wrote: What about 3d games? Even in kodi?
What do you mean by 3D games in Kodi?

First you need to understand here that Kodi is not an operating-system. Kodi is an application, just as a game for Android/PC/console is also an application. And normally you can not run an application inside another application, as you can only an application on an operating-system. RetroPlayer for Kodi is currently the only way to play games "inside" Kodi, but those games are not Android games/apps, those are game addons for Kodi, hence it is an game addon inside Kodi and not an other application that runs inside the Kodi application.

http://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=194

So do you really mean play 3D games inside Kodi, or do you instead maybe mean simply launching external games as in Android apps?

If you meant to ask if Kodi can act as a launcher and launch other Android apps and games, then the answer to that is yes, it can.

(2015-03-05, 12:30)looun Wrote:
(2015-03-04, 22:22)Tinwarble Wrote: As already mentioned is supports playback up to 24-bit/192KHz over HDMI and USB. So yeah, most likely you will be able to pass-through HD audio.
i have himedia Q5 , only with himedia player Audio HD 7.1 passthrough( DTS-HD, Dolby Atmos ) or decoding work without problem.
it is possible by pass os limitation with proprietary app, i hope android tv fix this limitation.
But does that Himedia Q5 really output it as 24-bit/192KHz or does it downsample it to only 96KHz and output that?

The limitation in the default Android OS kernel is the video and audio output parts, and not the codec decoding part.

Amount of channels is not the same as sample rate.

Even if it supports 7.1 channel output it could still be limited to only 96KHz output.
  • 3(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box)9