Timeshift not working
Hey all,

I have Tvheadend (3.9.2513) on a Raspberry Pi 2.
I have kodi-14.2-Helix_beta1.exe installed.

The recording function works, but the time shift goes as far as to create the folder structure /timeshifts/buffer but no files are ever created in there.

I pause the channel and then play again, it starts to play then freezes after the amount of time I paused it for passes

Any ideas?
Certainly timeshifting is not working as intended! I have the same problems with the same setup. Some settings that seem to help are setting the 2 following check boxes.

Unlimited time: "tiicked"

Unlimited size: "ticked"

......after doing this the stream will pause and restart reliably but don't try to jump forward of FF as this still does not work! crash crash boo hoo!

I'm a newbie in this sphere so i'm not tooo sure how to start investigating this issue. Is the problem with Kodi ot tvheadend? hmmmmm very anoying all the same!
1) install the latest tvheadend build

2) install the latest Helix build, you're using a beta at the moment

3) install the addon from http://stalin.negge.fi/files/pvr.tvh/ since you're using Helix

4) don't tag the post as Kodi 15 if you're not actually using that

5) check again that buffer files are actually created in the timeshift directory, if not you should file a bug on tvheadend.org/issues.
@Slartibartfast please post logs if you actually get a crash in either Kodi or tvheadend.
negge, I think this bug is already reported with logs here

https://tvheadend.org/issues/2744

I can certainly confirm it, in fact I have never seen stable timeshift in the year I have been using tvheadend. I get instability/freeze/crashes with every tvheadend version I have tried, and with both kodi addons. Please let me know if there are any specific logs I can provide (intel nuc, openelec 5, pvr.tvh or pvr.hts, I can build tvheadend from source if necessary).
@Memphiz is the man.
http://tvheadend.org/issues/2712#note-12
https://github.com/tvheadend/tvheadend/pull/645

Rock on
bberski
I'm afraid this commit doesn't fix timeshift for me: still freezes randomly, still crashes tvheadend completely when fast forwarding to the end of the timeshift buffer. I am beginning to wonder whether it's just me! Is there anyone out there who can claim to have timeshift working reliably with kodi/tvheadend? If so, I'd be happy to work with them to pin down the difference between their config and mine, so we can narrow down the bug.
I think that particular bug still remains. You should be able to skip (not ff) to live though.
For me, skipping to live causes the same tvheadend crash as fast-forward. And I still get freezes whatever I do with timeshift (even just pause and resume). This is all with today's 4.0 fork, the recent commit has not made any difference for me. If there's anyone out there who definitely had timeshift+kodi working reliably, could you please post your settings and addon version so I can compare with mine? Thanks!
Does tvheadend really crash? If so you need to check /var/log/syslog for the crash stack trace and file a report in tvheadend.org/issues.
Thanks negge, I am getting minimal logs but maybe I need to enable some extra debugging flags at compile or run time. In the tvheadend log all I get is

2015-05-16 13:14:11.799 [ ERROR] timeshift: ts 0 could not read buffer

In the kodi log I get a lot of

13:12:44 T:139839387178752 WARNING: CDVDMessageQueue(audio)::Get - asked for new data packet, with nothing available
13:13:30 T:139839395571456 WARNING: Previous line repeats 355 times.
and then
13:14:22 T:139840066660096 WARNING: error while seeking
13:14:27 T:139838812845824 ERROR: AddOnLog: Tvheadend Client: pvr.hts - Command hello failed: No response received
13:14:27 T:139838812845824 ERROR: AddOnLog: Tvheadend Client: pvr.hts - failed to send hello
and then
13:16:36 T:139839395571456 ERROR: Got MSGQ_ABORT or MSGO_IS_ERROR return true

I imagine these logs aren't much use but am happy to try again with extra debugging options if you like. I should add that while I am using latest tvheadend I am still on openelec stable 5.0.8 with your not-to-recent addon from stalin.negge.fi/files/pvr.tvh. Given that you and the other developers don't seem to be able to reproduce these problems (while so many of us users suffer from them constantly), I wonder if it's already fixed in the development code you are running (i.e. more recent commits to the addon since 0.9.8), and we should all just wait for Openelec 6?
Just fyi - the bug i fixed was that from the second attempt to pause playback via timeshift there were no timeshift buffers written on the backend and when resuming it only plays for maybe 10 secs and then froze.

The bug was only hit when timeshift was configured to only allow a certain amount of space on the backend (configuration for unlimited space shouldn't be affected at all). All other bugs are untouched by the fix. For me pausing and resuming (no ffwd, no seek to live) works properly with my fix. Thats all i wanted for now.
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
(2015-05-18, 11:32)Memphiz Wrote: Just fyi - the bug i fixed was that from the second attempt to pause playback via timeshift there were no timeshift buffers written on the backend and when resuming it only plays for maybe 10 secs and then froze.

The bug was only hit when timeshift was configured to only allow a certain amount of space on the backend (configuration for unlimited space shouldn't be affected at all). All other bugs are untouched by the fix. For me pausing and resuming (no ffwd, no seek to live) works properly with my fix. Thats all i wanted for now.

It's a shame there's some kind of itch for people to change bug status to "fixed" at the earliest available opportunity at tvheadend hq Wink
they did 100 milliseconds after pulling my changes
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
maybe its a good idea if some of you who are experiencing this issues altough could add an answer to my bug report at: https://tvheadend.org/issues/2744 to push this issue a little bit ;-)

at least it would be nice if this bugs would be targeted for the next stable release

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Timeshift not working0