• 21(current)
Win HOW TO - Configure a Logitech Harmony Remote for Kodi
(2016-10-23, 12:28)IIIdefconIII Wrote:
(2016-10-22, 13:05)thenetstriker Wrote:
(2016-10-18, 21:30)Fredrick Wrote: Hey,

Just wanted to tag along, I've got the same problem. Havent got the same scientific method as you, but the remote that came with the reciever is definately very snappy in comparison. The delay is very noticable (i'm about 500ms myself), but the repeat is the worst.

Have tried with an IR reciever I bought, several Harmony's, and now with another IR reciever aswell. Same problem across the line unfortunately. Tried a Philips universial remote once, and it was fine. Unfortunately not as powerful as the Harmony. The IR reciever i'm using now is integrated in my new Intel NUC, running Windows 7 with latest drivers.

Did you get any further?

I've now also tried if a Flirc adapter is faster, but it is even slower. (About +70ms)

I think the only solution would be that Logitech optimizes the delay via software update, or that they would release some sort of an keyboard emulation usb stick that receives the radio signal from the remote directly.

The bluetooth keyboard solution is also slower, so this is also no solution.

you can setup the delay in logitech harmony software on pc/phone, 100% sure i saw this somewhere

I already tried several combinations of delay and repeat settings, but the delay does not get better.
(2016-10-24, 12:00)thenetstriker Wrote:
(2016-10-23, 12:28)IIIdefconIII Wrote:
(2016-10-22, 13:05)thenetstriker Wrote: I've now also tried if a Flirc adapter is faster, but it is even slower. (About +70ms)

I think the only solution would be that Logitech optimizes the delay via software update, or that they would release some sort of an keyboard emulation usb stick that receives the radio signal from the remote directly.

The bluetooth keyboard solution is also slower, so this is also no solution.

you can setup the delay in logitech harmony software on pc/phone, 100% sure i saw this somewhere

I already tried several combinations of delay and repeat settings, but the delay does not get better.

then i fall back to what i quoted before, get it working with bluetooth. I also had the delay with IR which was pretty sluggish but when i figured out how to get bluetooth working its responding very fast, almost instantly. I can easily browse fast trough the menu with bluetooth. After an reboot, the remote auto-reconnects.
(2016-10-24, 12:48)IIIdefconIII Wrote:
(2016-10-23, 12:28)IIIdefconIII Wrote: you can setup the delay in logitech harmony software on pc/phone, 100% sure i saw this somewhere

then i fall back to what i quoted before, get it working with bluetooth. I also had the delay with IR which was pretty sluggish but when i figured out how to get bluetooth working its responding very fast, almost instantly. I can easily browse fast trough the menu with bluetooth. After an reboot, the remote auto-reconnects.

Can MCE Keyboard be used with Bluetooth?
(2016-10-24, 20:15)Warner306 Wrote: Can MCE Keyboard be used with Bluetooth?

I'm not sure google around I think I have seen working setups as long as the device also has bluetooth you can try with my guide.
Otherwise you should try irc channel #bluez
(2016-10-23, 12:28)IIIdefconIII Wrote: you can setup the delay in logitech harmony software on pc/phone, 100% sure i saw this somewhere

I've already tried that. The delay over bluetooth is also slower as with infrared. I don't know if this is maybe a problem with the hardware of the Cubox-I I am using. I've also tried if sending infrared directly from the remote is faster than sending it over the hub, but for some reason this is also slower. Maybe it is also a problem specific to the Harmony Elite. Which remote are you using?
(2016-10-26, 12:06)thenetstriker Wrote:
(2016-10-24, 12:00)thenetstriker Wrote: I already tried several combinations of delay and repeat settings, but the delay does not get better.

I've already tried that. The delay over bluetooth is also slower as with infrared. I don't know if this is maybe a problem with the hardware of the Cubox-I I am using. I've also tried if sending infrared directly from the remote is faster than sending it over the hub, but for some reason this is also slower. Maybe it is also a problem specific to the Harmony Elite. Which remote are you using?

I have the Ultimate, i did had the Elite for two weeks and cant tell if its was slower, dont think so otherwise i would remind, but maybe.
Strange for me the IR is defintly a lot slower then bluetooth, bluetooth is almost instant. I made a video for you to compare...

Maybe you can try installing linux on a virtual machine on youre computer and set things up to test if the cubox is the bottleneck.
as bluetooth adapter im using: Bus 008 Device 002: ID 0a12:0001 Cambridge Silicon Radio, Ltd Bluetooth Dongle (HCI mode)

maybe its the dongle that is the bottleneck, you can only find out by trying vmware and other hardware.

Good luck! let us know the results, so we can help others in future.
I have the Ultimate One+ and yes it is slow no matter, what the delay is set to.
Annoying because when you go through movies with the direction keys well you prob have the same when you stop clicking it will keep going Sad
English is not my native language; please excuse typing errors.
Grampa Simpson: Unfortunately, like all true stories, this one has a crappy ending. You have a story with an ending.
Grampa, are you sure you're okay to drive at night? Grampa: It's night?
Banned add-ons
(2015-03-08, 07:25)Warner306 Wrote: 4. CREATING A KODI ACTIVITY – MICROSOFT eHOME DEVICES

By this point, two devices should be added to your Harmony profile:
  • MCE Keyboard
  • Windows Media Center SE
Adding an Activity

MyHarmony:
  • Choose Custom activity and follow the on-screen instructions.
Legacy Software:

From the Activities tab:
  1. Select Manual Activity;
  2. Choose Utility;
  3. Generic Activity;
  4. Add Required Devices;
  5. Complete Set up.
Power On and Off – Only one device should be used to power the system on and off. I recommend Windows Media Center SE for this purpose. Leaving the computer off when not in use is the recommended setting. The Off state may be wake from sleep/hibernate, or wake from a power off state if your motherboard supports this.

Customizing Buttons – Harmony Keymap

To customize the remote, commands from the Kodi keymap must be matched to commands for a device in the Harmony database. Most key commands (e.g. "I") can be matched directly to the MCE Keyboard, so this process can usually be planned without looking up anything in the Harmony software. The idea is to match commands in the Kodi keymap with a corresponding button on the remote.

Below is an example starter keymap for a Harmony 650. This keymap covers most of the essential commands for navigation and playback and is a good launching point for a more elaborate key design.

Click here for a complete list of Kodi keyboard commands.

eHome: Basic Keymap – Harmony 650:

Basic Keymap Command List:

Harmony --> Kodi Command --> Device

*Cust (Start) --> Start Kodi --> Win + # (SE)
Cust (Quit) --> Quit Kodi --> Alt + F4 (MCE)
Cust (Full) --> Fullscreen --> Tab (MCE)
Cust (Codec) --> Codec Info --> O (MCE)
Menu --> Sidebar Menu --> M (MCE)
*Exit --> Back --> Backspace (MCE)
Info --> Info --> I (MCE)
*Guide --> Contextual Menu --> C (MCE)
Up Arrow --> Jump to Top --> Home (MCE)
Down Arrow --> Jump to Bottom --> End (MCE)
Cust (Watched) --> Watched Status --> W (MCE)
Cust (Item Up) --> Move Item Up --> U (MCE)
Up --> Up --> DirectionUp (SE)
Down --> Down --> DirectionDown (SE)
Left --> Left --> DirectionLeft (SE)
Right --> Right --> DirectionRight (SE)
Channel Up --> Page Up --> ChannelUp (SE)
Channel Down --> Page Down --> ChannelDown (SE)
*OK --> OK --> Enter (SE)
Prev --> Shutdown Menu --> S (MCE)
Play --> Play --> Play (SE)
Stop --> Stop --> Stop (SE)
Rewind --> Rewind --> Rewind (SE)
Fast Forward --> Fast Forward --> FastForward (SE)
Skip Back --> Skip Backward --> , (MCE)
Skip Forward --> Skip Forward --> . (MCE)
Pause --> Pause --> Pause (SE)
0 to 9 --> Number Keys --> 0 to 9 (MCE)

*Start Kodi – The command Win + # is a means of opening a program in Windows. The # refers to the program's position on the Taskbar. Pressing Win + 3, for example, would open the third item on the Windows Taskbar.

*Long-press – Jarvis v16 introduced a long-press for select keystrokes. Holding a key for a couple of seconds enables a secondary command. Currently, this is limited to three keystrokes and only appears to be compatible with eHome receivers:
  • Short: Enter –> Long: Contextual Menu
  • Short: Backspace –> Long: Home Screen or Shutdown Menu
  • Short: Contextual Menu –> Long: Sidebar Menu
  • Short: Enter –> Long: Pause
  • Short: Backspace –> Long: Stop
Advanced Configuration – keyboard.xml

It is possible to add commands not included in the list of Kodi keyboard controls by creating a file called a keyboard.xml. For example, if I wanted a command to toggle the videos section to show only unwatched, watched or all videos, I would add the following to my keyboard.xml:

keyboard.xml:

<keymap>
<global>
<keyboard>
<s>SendClick(Videos,10)</s>
</keyboard>
</global>
</keymap>

The entry in the Harmony software would look like this:

Prev (Harmony) --> Send a click to a control in a given window --> S (MCE)

If I wanted to map commands already assigned to other keys for specific circumstances, such as fullscreen playback, subsections could be added:

<keymap>
<FullScreenVideo>
<keyboard>
<home>subtitledelay</home>
<end>AudioNextLanguage</end>
</keyboard>
</FullScreenVideo>
</keymap>

The above file should be created in a text editor such as Notepad or Notepad++ and saved as keyboard.xml. The .xml must be stored at the following location:

C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Roaming\Kodi\userdata\keymaps

Click here for a complete list of Kodi Action IDs.
Click here for a complete list of Kodi built-in functions.

More information on the formatting and contents of a keyboard.xml can be found here.

Link: Another take on how to bind a key to a custom command.

This does work for me but obly when there is an actual keyboard attached to the PC which I normally dont.

Is there a solution for that?

Thanks.

Ronald.
(2016-10-30, 11:36)nl62544 Wrote: This does work for me but obly when there is an actual keyboard attached to the PC which I normally dont.

Is there a solution for that?

Thanks.

Ronald.

What kind of IR receiver are you using?
http://www.howtogeek.com/246670/how-to-c...ny-remote/
Hey Warner,

My HTPC hard drive died and I need to re-install Windows 8.1 (HP Recovery Discs that is)
and then I have to re-install Kodi of course.

Thank goodness I don't have to reprogram the Harmony to run Kodi because of how
the Harmony programming is in the "cloud" (ie MyHarmony.com account)
that of course must "Sync" with the "Hub".

Question: Is my memory correct in that there is a certain "setting" within Kodi that I have to
enable to allow Kodi to be controlled via remote control?

I could be mixing this up with how the Movie Poster App needs to enable some setting in Kodi
on the HTPC to allow Kodi to send JSON commands to the Movie Poster App on a different
PC via a Network such as the "General" page or the "Control" tab under Settings?

http://kodi.wiki/view/Settings/Services/Control

Can you confirm? Thanks!
(2016-12-14, 19:44)HTFanatic Wrote: Hey Warner,

My HTPC hard drive died and I need to re-install Windows 8.1 (HP Recovery Discs that is)

Question: Is my memory correct in that there is a certain "setting" within Kodi that I have to

I could be mixing this up with how the Movie Poster App needs to enable some setting in Kodi
on the HTPC to allow Kodi to send JSON commands to the Movie Poster App on a different
PC via a Network such as the "General" page or the "Control" tab under Settings?

Can you confirm? Thanks!

There is a section for input devices. But, by default, Kodi will accept remote commands.
(2016-12-14, 20:38)Warner306 Wrote:
(2016-12-14, 19:44)HTFanatic Wrote: Hey Warner,

Can you confirm? Thanks!

There is a section for input devices. But, by default, Kodi will accept remote commands.

Right on! Thanks for the quick response!
I've been enjoying the magic of controlling Kodi with my Harmony remote since May 2016 and
it is a blessing to say the least, thanks to your incredible instructional thread here which I see you updated
often!!!!!
I had to reload Windows 8.1 (re-installed the original state of the PC via Restore DVDs that came with the HP computer), and I re-attached
everything correctly and then I installed the MyHarmony app onto the desktop (in hindsight after I typed this, I realize now that whether you have the "MyHarmony"
app installed on your PC or not does not matter with regards to Kodi working with your Harmony remote).

Everything works fine as far as the Harmony Ultimate Home working with controlling Kodi EXCEPT for the "Play", "Stop", "Pause", "FastForward", "Rewind" (ie all buttons work on my Harmony Remote to control Kodi, including custom buttons that I programmed to hard buttons on the remote).

So, I went in and "Unassigned" those buttons described above that were not working, then "re-assigned" those commands via either the "Windows Media Player" OR
the "Media Center SE" DEVICES, and then "Synced" the Harmony completely, but alas, those buttons still didn't work. I re-did this same process described
to try to fix those buttons but it never worked.

Then I thought "Why don't I just delete the Windows Media Player Device and delete the Media Center SE Device and re-install them??"......now for some reason
when I go into my activity called "Kodi" and delete the two devices, then re-add them, I can't find these two devices. I mean, I just typed in the first few letters
of the device "Windows Media Player" in the blank field to "search", it doesn't find it. Nor does the MyHarmony find the "Media Center SE" DEVICE at all either.
I also typed in the full names of the devices and it doesn't find it, but I AM IN THAT AREA OF THE DEVICE ADDING WHERE YOU ENTER THE NAME OF THE MANUFACTURER FIRST, THEN THE MODEL NUMBER FIELD BELOW IT IS AFTER YOU ENTER THE NAME OF THE MANUFACTURER OF COURSE.

AM I IN THE WRONG PAGE?

Am I going crazy? Please tell me these two devices still exist in the MyHarmony.com app database. That's all I need to know and I can figure out the rest
of what to do to fix my problem(s) buttons that are not working.

BTW, any idea why those those few buttons don't work, but all other buttons do work when controlling Kodi with my Harmony remoteHuh
(2017-01-03, 18:13)HTFanatic Wrote: I had to reload Windows 8.1 (re-installed the original state of the PC via Restore DVDs that came with the HP computer), and I re-attached
everything correctly and then I installed the MyHarmony app onto the desktop (in hindsight after I typed this, I realize now that whether you have the "MyHarmony"
app installed on your PC or not does not matter with regards to Kodi working with your Harmony remote).

Everything works fine as far as the Harmony Ultimate Home working with controlling Kodi EXCEPT for the "Play", "Stop", "Pause", "FastForward", "Rewind" (ie all buttons work on my Harmony Remote to control Kodi, including custom buttons that I programmed to hard buttons on the remote).

So, I went in and "Unassigned" those buttons described above that were not working, then "re-assigned" those commands via either the "Windows Media Player" OR
the "Media Center SE" DEVICES, and then "Synced" the Harmony completely, but alas, those buttons still didn't work. I re-did this same process described
to try to fix those buttons but it never worked.

Then I thought "Why don't I just delete the Windows Media Player Device and delete the Media Center SE Device and re-install them??"......now for some reason
when I go into my activity called "Kodi" and delete the two devices, then re-add them, I can't find these two devices. I mean, I just typed in the first few letters
of the device "Windows Media Player" in the blank field to "search", it doesn't find it. Nor does the MyHarmony find the "Media Center SE" DEVICE at all either.
I also typed in the full names of the devices and it doesn't find it, but I AM IN THAT AREA OF THE DEVICE ADDING WHERE YOU ENTER THE NAME OF THE MANUFACTURER FIRST, THEN THE MODEL NUMBER FIELD BELOW IT IS AFTER YOU ENTER THE NAME OF THE MANUFACTURER OF COURSE.

AM I IN THE WRONG PAGE?

Am I going crazy? Please tell me these two devices still exist in the MyHarmony.com app database. That's all I need to know and I can figure out the rest
of what to do to fix my problem(s) buttons that are not working.

BTW, any idea why those those few buttons don't work, but all other buttons do work when controlling Kodi with my Harmony remoteHuh

Sorry, I'm not that familiar with the Harmony App. You should add the device by manufacturer and then model number.

Manufacturer: Microsoft
Model: MCE Keyboard
  • 21(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
HOW TO - Configure a Logitech Harmony Remote for Kodi6