• 15(current)
Kodi DSPlayer – DirectShow Player for Windows
I really love this project and thought I got it working yesterday.

However, when I got the PC back into the HT system and tried on the projector MadVR crashed everytime I loaded a video.

I have no clue why... MadVR in MPC runs just fine and I tried lots of stuff to fix it.

In fact, MadVR in MPC as an external player for Kodi also works just fine... just not this awesome built in version.

My biggest problem is I don' t like to burn up my projector trying to work this stuff out. So, I test with a monitor till I think all is well then it's not.

Guess I will use MPC with MadVR as an external player for now...I still love this DSplayer version.. I just can't get it working.
we need to identify exactly what happens in each case, if that happens when we start the playback or when we stop the playback

please make the new test with this new exe

edit: new build at first page

- there is a crash with madVR?
please report madvr's crash log that it's on the desktop

- there is a crash with kodi?
please before to kill o close the kodi's process, press for a few second CTRL+ALT+SHIFT+BREAK and then report madvr freeze log, if in your %appdata%\kodi there it's a stacktree and minidump please report them

- there is no crash but kodi remains with a black screen and unresponsive application ?
please before to kill o close the kodi's process, press for a few second CTRL+ALT+SHIFT+BREAK and then report madvr freeze log, if in your %appdata%\kodi there it's a stacktree and minidump please report them

- there is no crash but kodi remains with a black screen and the application seems to continue to work in background?
please try to resize the kodi's window with ALT+ENTER, this solve the black screen?

- these crash occurs only when kodi it's set to change refresh to match the video's framerate? what happens if you try to change refresh only by madVR?
- these crash occurs only when madVR it's set to work in Fullscreen Exclusive mode?
- these crash occurs only when kodi it's in Fullscreen (Winowed or Exclusive mode)? what happens if kodi it's not in fullscreen?
I tried the exe. posted and things are definitely improved. It took me many tries until I was able to find one TV Show that would freeze.

Freeze on Stop:

crash log: http://pastebin.com/gQbzxm8J

Video Fails to Load Resulting in Black Screen:

madVR debug log: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B2LAr9I...sp=sharing

Edit: I haven't tried the exe. sent by PM. Will report back.
Hi Aracnoz,

I've never tried to collect debug information for Kodi / madVR. I have a few questions to help me get started with debug reporting using your new test exe/pdb

1. Do I need to enable "Enable Component Specific Logging" under Kodi's debug logging settings?

2. Do I need to use the madVR [debug].ax filter instead of madVR.ax to get verbose madVR freeze report logs; or, should I just use the default madVR filter?

The issue/symptom I see is reproducible every time; behaving predictably when the 2 below conditions are met. I can't crash Kodi or madVR any other way.

-When ANY Kodi/madVR OSD Video settings are changed (or via MadVR tray icon settings if option to use Kodi's OSD to change madVR settings is unchecked)
-When media playback STOP is initiated by user DURING full screen mode (regardless if Exclusive Mode is enabled or not).

One thing I noticed, that shouldn't be ignored (especially since this behavior is 100% consistent on at least two different setups) ... madVR settings under the Kodi's VIDEO\DSPLAYER do NOT cause any issues during playback or otherwise when they are changed. Everything seems to work perfectly with DSPlayer if the OSD Video settings aren't changed. Maybe, it's because those settings are changed BEFORE video playback, not during.

Lastly: I'm not sure if this is a known DSPlayer bug or not, but when I back out to Kodi's Main Menu during video playback, Kodi's Main Menu doesnt get redrawn properly; taking only a small portion of Kodi's available canvas. Also, there's no video preview on Kodi's main menu; even if the Main Menu was displayed correctly at the correct size.

(2015-04-10, 16:06)aracnoz Wrote: we need to identify exactly what happens in each case, if that happens when we start the playback or when we stop the playback

please make the new test with this new exe

http://www.mediafire.com/download/mim32p...9/kodi.rar, unrar where kodi it's installed

- there is a crash with madVR?
please report madvr's crash log that it's on the desktop

- there is a crash with kodi?

- there is no crash but kodi remains with a black screen and unresponsive application ?

- there is no crash but kodi remains with a black screen and the application seems to continue to work in background?
please try to resize the kodi's window with ALT+ENTER, this solve the black screen?

- these crash occurs only when kodi it's set to change refresh to match the video's framerate? what happens if you try to change refresh only by madVR?
- these crash occurs only when madVR it's set to work in Fullscreen Exclusive mode?
- these crash occurs only when kodi it's in Fullscreen (Winowed or Exclusive mode)? what happens if kodi it's not in fullscreen?
Kodi debug logging probably won't catch anything, but you don't have to do anything special. Just turn it on and collect the kodi.log in the Userdata folder.

To debug madVR:

- Turn on debugging by running "activate debug mode" in the madVR folder. A debug log will appear on your desktop automatically on close. You must compress this debug log and upload it somehow. To deactivate debug mode, run "activate debug mode" once again.

- Crash reports are produced by pressing Cntrl + Shift + Alt + Break/Pause. On my Logitech keyboard, Break/Pause is FN+ P, so I have to press Cntrl + Shift + Alt + FN + P to produce a crash report. The crash report should be created once the system has locked and cannot be unlocked.

Uploading crash reports and kodi.log to Pastebin may be the easiest means of sharing these reports.
The most recent exe is about the same as before. Most content will not freeze. I had one random movie freeze. And certain TV Shows seem to freeze more consistently. Overall, the experience is improved from yesterday's build.

Crash Report 1: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B2LAr9I...sp=sharing

Crash Report 2: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B2LAr9I...sp=sharing
(2015-04-10, 14:06)bhampton Wrote: I really love this project and thought I got it working yesterday.

However, when I got the PC back into the HT system and tried on the projector MadVR crashed everytime I loaded a video.

I have no clue why... MadVR in MPC runs just fine and I tried lots of stuff to fix it.

In fact, MadVR in MPC as an external player for Kodi also works just fine... just not this awesome built in version.

My biggest problem is I don' t like to burn up my projector trying to work this stuff out. So, I test with a monitor till I think all is well then it's not.

Guess I will use MPC with MadVR as an external player for now...I still love this DSplayer version.. I just can't get it working.

The external player solution is fine if you want a DirectShow player with madVR support. DSPlayer is better but not necessary to simply watch content. I am content to use a keyboard to fix the odd crash with DSPlayer. But I've never once had MPC-HC/MPC-BE fail on me. It will always be more stable.
"To debug madVR: - Turn on debugging by running "activate debug mode" in the madVR folder. A debug log will appear on your desktop automatically on close..."

So, if the freeze mode log is produced "automatically", what does pressing Cntrl + Shift + Alt + Break/Pause do?

BTW: I didn't see you mention this.... if you leave DSPlayer/madVR at all it's default settings after you first set it up (scaling, smoothmotion, etc are all untouched; and disabled by default) and Kodi running in a Window, are you still able to make Kodi/madVR lockup hard consistently every time when you press STOP during media playback?

(2015-04-10, 18:15)Warner306 Wrote: Kodi debug logging probably won't catch anything, but you don't have to do anything special. Just turn it on and collect the kodi.log in the Userdata folder.

To debug madVR:

- Turn on debugging by running "activate debug mode" in the madVR folder. A debug log will appear on your desktop automatically on close. You must compress this debug log and upload it somehow. To deactivate debug mode, run "activate debug mode" once again.

- Crash reports are produced by pressing Cntrl + Shift + Alt + Break/Pause. On my Logitech keyboard, Break/Pause is FN+ P, so I have to press Cntrl + Shift + Alt + FN + P to produce a crash report. The crash report should be created once the system has locked and cannot be unlocked.

Uploading crash reports and kodi.log to Pastebin may be the easiest means of sharing these reports.
I haven't tried to reset madVR to see if it fixes anything. The crashes I am experiencing are random, so I am not certain I can blame any specific settings. But, although random, they happen too often to not be considered a problem.

The debug log and the crash report are separate items. I'm not sure what is in the crash report that is not in the debug log. The debug log alone would probably suffice. If you can't produce crashes in debug mode, however, then crash reports are necessary.
You never tried dsplayer at it's install default settings to see how it behaves?. I don't see how you could rule out changes/settings you made without trying that first.

[quotes='Warner306' pid='1979403' dateline='1428685750']
I haven't tried to reset madVR to see if it fixes anything. The crashes I am experiencing are random, so I am not certain I can blame any specific settings. But, although random, they happen too often to not be considered a problem.

The debug log and the crash report are separate items. I'm not sure what is in the crash report that is not in the debug log. The debug log alone would probably suffice. If you can't produce crashes in debug mode, however, then crash reports are necessary.
[/quote]
I tried settings madVR to its default settings, but the problem is no clearer. I am using Nividia driver 350.xx.

I turned off the Kodi gui and reset madVR from its folder. Nothing crashed with a few test files.

I turned the Kodi gui back on, which reloaded my profiles. Again, nothing crashed.

I opened madVR and reset the setting "This display has been calibrated," set a gamma curve of 2.20 and unchecked all of the "trade quality for performance" checkboxes. The freeze bug returned.

So, I reset madVR once more, left the Kodi gui on and played some content. Eventually, a TV Show froze. Pressing Pause and then Stop could make this happen more frequently.

So, maybe things improve by resetting madVR to its defaults, but I still experienced a freeze. The Kodi gui didn't appear to impact anything. I thought changing settings in madVR might be to blame, but it is hard to tell. Even then, a freeze could still occur.

I think the latest build is better, but the random freezes will be difficult to treat.

Does the situation improve for anyone else when madVR debugging is turned on? What about the latest build? Any change from previous versions?

Thousands of people have looked at the set-up guide, but I don't know how many have tried DSPlayer. Even then, some who experience problems may drop the player and never return. The set-up guide I posted for MPC is growing in views faster than the DSPlayer guide, so it is difficult to determine who has stuck with DSPlayer and who has this specific problem.
Hey @Warner306, thanks for trying that. I'm going to try madVR debugging when I get home. It almost sounds like your instability issue is exacerbated by madVR workload (not recovering from the offending bug as well as more powerful PCs). My PC may just have enough headroom to tolerate/handle the bug a little better; at least, avoid instability.

Do you still have the same stability issue playing videos in a small Kodi window with minimal/default madVR settings (no scaling options enabled)? It's certainly much easier for madVR renderer to handle; and, at least have a chance at recovering from the offending bug. Anyway, just a thought.
(2015-04-10, 17:55)MKANET Wrote: The issue/symptom I see is reproducible every time; behaving predictably when the 2 below conditions are met. I can't crash Kodi or madVR any other way.

-When ANY Kodi/madVR OSD Video settings are changed (or via MadVR tray icon settings if option to use Kodi's OSD to change madVR settings is unchecked)
-When media playback STOP is initiated by user DURING full screen mode (regardless if Exclusive Mode is enabled or not).

One thing I noticed, that shouldn't be ignored (especially since this behavior is 100% consistent on at least two different setups) ... madVR settings under the Kodi's VIDEO\DSPLAYER do NOT cause any issues during playback or otherwise when they are changed. Everything seems to work perfectly with DSPlayer if the OSD Video settings aren't changed. Maybe, it's because those settings are changed BEFORE video playback, not during.

each setting it's changed on the fly during playback, when you stop the video the whole list of settings it's stored in the dsplayer's database, if the kodi gui it's enabled to manage madvr settings then at playstart they are restored, even if you don't change any setting through the gui if the option it's enabled at playstart dsplayer restore the default settings... so for each playstart kodi change the madvr's setting, your case it's very strange :\

(2015-04-10, 17:55)MKANET Wrote: 1. Do I need to enable "Enable Component Specific Logging" under Kodi's debug logging settings?
2. Do I need to use the madVR [debug].ax filter instead of madVR.ax to get verbose madVR freeze report logs; or, should I just use the default madVR filter?

i figured out that it's useless to use madvr in debug mode in this case... you have to ensure to put the right pdb file where kodi it's installed remember that each kodi.exe has it's own *.pdb, you have to rename the pdb file in Kodi.pdb
then when the freeze/crash occurs press for a few second CTRL+ALT+SHIFT+BREAK to generate madvr freeze report

(2015-04-10, 17:55)MKANET Wrote: ...I'm not sure if this is a known DSPlayer bug or not, but when I back out to Kodi's Main Menu during video playback...
back out to Kodi's Main Menu during video playback has a different procedure, I have not dedicated too much time because for now has less importance ... then each skin manages this thing in a different way ... so don't worry for what happens to the menu during madVR playback
The most recent build posted has withstood my tests, so far...I can't get it to freeze on stop. My Nvidia driver version is still 350.xx, but I doubt that has anything to do with it.

I did encounter one video that did not load (it went to a black screen), but I was able to stop and try again. The system did not lock up.

I'll leave everything as is to see if it remains that way. I am using my regular madVR settings.

If it starts to freeze again, I'll try the three specialized builds sent to me.

Hopefully this is a fix, as I don't don't think I'm all that productive doing this all this debugging...
@aracnoz

Did madshi help you with the latest update? I looked at the changelog and see the number of updates you made without being able to replicate this issue on your own. I'd call you a genius because the player is very stable and I'm having trouble getting it to fail at any tests.
  • 15(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Kodi DSPlayer – DirectShow Player for Windows47