• 216(current)
Kodi DSPlayer – DirectShow Player for Windows
Thanks a lot @Wanilton!
Hi,

First off Many thanks to Aracnoz (who's greatly missed here) and Wanilton for filling the void and provinding us with the latest updates and for keepin this great player alive !

I was waiting for the final version of 16 or even new 17 to test before I could conclusively decide or post but things have led to me to this as Am really totally so badly stuck and terribly pissedAngry !!

If I get hold of those M$ guys who forced & shoved that $hitty 10 down my throat, I would just..........................Stare

Anyways, I have the setup is per my sig & was sort of living with the playback in Win8 ,Had discussed it here in the beginning of this thread. It was fine with most of the stuff including HEVC and such.

Come Win10 and Am so badly hurt that it would take major surgery to get things up and running.

The problem are a plenty,to Begin with most of the videos (720P,1080P,sometimes even 480P) plays sort of slowmo (not exactly but slower then the normal speed),In MadVr I cannot enable anything (No Super Res,No AR,No Sharping no nothing),HEVC playback is non existent.

With DS Player disabled (using default video player) Am able to play most of the stuff( Barring HEVC which still is choppy),But with DS Player it just won't and even though the DXVA is selected I see 100% CPU usage in all the videos all the time.

I have installed and reinstalled the video's drivers (have tried everything version from 2012 to latest one) have completely wiped the Kodi and clean installed Kodi DS umpteen number of times but no joy.

The List goes on,I just need some pointers or someone to point as to where the problem could be,As said earlier I was able to play most of the stuff with MadVr basic setting( AR,Ehance Image,Sharpen Image filters enabled). But now its just not possible !

Quote:You maybe fine with DSPlayer configured with Lentoid HEVC Decoder.

Can you elaborate as to how I configure that in DS Player ??

Regards.
MOBO :AMD A68i-350
RAM:6GB DDR3
CPU : 1.6GHZ DUAL CORE
GPU : HD6310 (512MB Shared Memory)
Are there any particular settings I should be using within MadVR for this to work properly? At the moment, I cannot change channels whilst watching live TV successfully; if I switch from one HD channel to another, frames start being played out of order (so everything looks like it's jumping around all over the place). If I switch from an HD channel to an SD one, I get a grey and/or green screen and have to restart Kodi.

Here's my specs and software:
  • Kodi with DSPlayer 16.1 RC2 (latest)
  • MadVR 0.90.17 (latest)
  • Fullscreen Exclusive Mode disabled
  • MediaPortal PVR Client
  • Windows 10
  • Intel Xeon X5650 @ 4 GHz
  • AMD R9 270 (2 GB)

I've also tried using both ffmpeg and TSReader within the MediaPortal PVR Client settings, as well as turning "fast channel switching" on and off. These settings make no difference, it seems.
(2016-03-29, 19:35)DragonQ Wrote: Are there any particular settings I should be using within MadVR for this to work properly? At the moment, I cannot change channels whilst watching live TV successfully; if I switch from one HD channel to another, frames start being played out of order (so everything looks like it's jumping around all over the place). If I switch from an HD channel to an SD one, I get a grey and/or green screen and have to restart Kodi.

Here's my specs and software:
  • Kodi with DSPlayer 16.1 RC2 (latest)
  • MadVR 0.90.17 (latest)
  • Fullscreen Exclusive Mode disabled
  • MediaPortal PVR Client
  • Windows 10
  • Intel Xeon X5650 @ 4 GHz
  • AMD R9 270 (2 GB)

I've also tried using both ffmpeg and TSReader within the MediaPortal PVR Client settings, as well as turning "fast channel switching" on and off. These settings make no difference, it seems.

To be honest your best bet is to use DVDPlayer for live TV. I had many similar problems when using DSPlayer. Using DVDPlayer everything is a lot more stable using the MediaPortal PVR Client.

Add these rules to %APPDATA%\Kodi\userdata\playercorefactory.xml:

Code:
<rule protocols="daap|rtv|rtmp|rtmpe|mms|rtp|special" player="DVDPlayer" />
<rule name="TV" protocols="pvr" player="DVDPlayer" />
(2016-03-29, 19:27)SoundsGreat Wrote: Hi,

First off Many thanks to Aracnoz (who's greatly missed here) and Wanilton for filling the void and provinding us with the latest updates and for keepin this great player alive !

I was waiting for the final version of 16 or even new 17 to test before I could conclusively decide or post but things have led to me to this as Am really totally so badly stuck and terribly pissedAngry !!

If I get hold of those M$ guys who forced & shoved that $hitty 10 down my throat, I would just..........................Stare

Anyways, I have the setup is per my sig & was sort of living with the playback in Win8 ,Had discussed it here in the beginning of this thread. It was fine with most of the stuff including HEVC and such.

Come Win10 and Am so badly hurt that it would take major surgery to get things up and running.

The problem are a plenty,to Begin with most of the videos (720P,1080P,sometimes even 480P) plays sort of slowmo (not exactly but slower then the normal speed),In MadVr I cannot enable anything (No Super Res,No AR,No Sharping no nothing),HEVC playback is non existent.

With DS Player disabled (using default video player) Am able to play most of the stuff( Barring HEVC which still is choppy),But with DS Player it just won't and even though the DXVA is selected I see 100% CPU usage in all the videos all the time.

I have installed and reinstalled the video's drivers (have tried everything version from 2012 to latest one) have completely wiped the Kodi and clean installed Kodi DS umpteen number of times but no joy.

The List goes on,I just need some pointers or someone to point as to where the problem could be,As said earlier I was able to play most of the stuff with MadVr basic setting( AR,Ehance Image,Sharpen Image filters enabled). But now its just not possible !

Quote:You maybe fine with DSPlayer configured with Lentoid HEVC Decoder.

Can you elaborate as to how I configure that in DS Player ??

Regards.

Your graphics card is about equivalent to an Intel HD 3000, so you will be very limited in the madVR settings you can use. Try these settings:
  • Chroma: Bicubic100 + AR
  • Image: Lanczos3 + AR
  • Image doubling: Off
  • Upscaling refinement: Off
  • Artifact removal - Debanding: Off
  • Image enhancements: Off
  • Dithering: Ordered
You may have to create separate profiles for content with a frame rate higher than 23.976 fps (e.g. 29.97 fps) and use DXVA2 image upscaling. This should still produce a better image than DVDPlayer, but be prepared to do some tweaking to learn how to use everything and get it working correctly.

This is how madVR works; it is like a video game renderer, so it uses the GPU almost exclusively. This is done to improve the quality of the image by avoiding the regions of the GPU that may reduce image quality. Such is the case with GPU-assisted rendering such as DXVA2, which is designed to reduce resource use and still produce a good image. Kodi DVDPlayer largely relies on DXVA2 image scaling. madVR is like a video game to the video driver and does not rely on hardware-based image scaling, which is why it requires more GPU resources.
Speaking of graphics cards, is there any chance the original post could be updated with recommended hardware to get the best from DSPlayer & madVR (in my case just for 1080p content)? I'm looking to purchase a a GPU and ideally I'd like to only buy a Nvidia GTX950 as it's the cheapest but I don't actually know is it good enough. Should I be looking at a 960 or above?

Therefore, is a 960 or above just wasted resources? I don't game and this is purely for image quality.
(2016-03-30, 08:48)essjay Wrote: Speaking of graphics cards, is there any chance the original post could be updated with recommended hardware to get the best from DSPlayer & madVR? I'm looking to purchase a a GPU and ideally I'd like to only buy a Nvidia GTX950 as it's the cheapest but I don't actually know is it good enough. Should I be looking at a 960 or above?

Therefore, is a 960 or above just wasted resources? I don't game and this is purely for image quality.

I would never buy a graphics card for DSPlayer as it could quit working at any time. If you don't mind using any current version of madVR for the foreseeable future, then it might make sense. Or if you don't mind using Emby Theater or MPC-HC with Kodi in the future, it could also be worthwhile.

The GTX 950 is fine graphics card for madVR use, even when upscaling to 4K. But you will still have to compromise on some settings. Personally, I don't care about NNEDI3 image doubling all that much as super-xbr (which is currently being improved) when combined with SuperRes looks almost the same as NNEDI3 + SuperRes in test images, and actually looks better than NNEDI3 with some images. So it comes down to your taste for combining multiple image sharpeners/post-processing shaders with image doubling and SuperRes or a need to have extra power available when settings such as denoising, deblocking, etc. are added in the future. I'm certain there will be more "knobs" available in new version of madVR that require even more resources. Personally, I find any 2x resize to look good without being oversharpened by using a chain of super-xbr + SuperRes (3). That could easily be done with a GTX 950.

If it was me and I didn't care about gaming, I don't know I would be wanting to speed more than $200 on a graphics card that does nothing but produce images with madVR. If you are a video purist and would be willing to use MPC-HC with a mouse to get the best picture quality, then go for it. But a budget card like the GTX 950 is fairly future-proof for video rendering: 10-bit HEVC decoding, HDMI 2.0a, HDCP 2.2.

If you are image upscaling to 4K, I could post in the Doom9 forum and ask others if this is a card that will be capable of handling future versions of madVR. Today, it would probably be acceptable.
Hi,

Quote:Your graphics card is about equivalent to an Intel HD 3000

Hmm that's not what I thought it was !! Anyways thanks for the reply and explanation !

But as I said earlier, In win8 things were not half as bad. I was able to watch everything with Lanczos3 AR for both image and chroma and sharpen complex 0.5 and enhance image 1.0

Again as said earlier,I had posted the same and you had suggested the setting of Lanczos3AR. So why is it failing in Win10 ?? Is it coz of changes in Kodi or Win ?? Should I revert back to Win8 ??

Also regarding the Lantoid,Can you please post as to how to configure it in DSPlayer ?

Also as a worst case scenario Am ready to junk this and buy a new setup (If it's absolutely must),The one where I can get best of the DS Player and MadVr.

I would prefer it if its a all in one like I have but Am willing to look at independent if All in One doesn't work. So Please can you recommend a suitable option.

But would first at least want the playback to be normal as before,In that regard any other suggestions,pointers ??

Regards.
(2016-03-30, 09:26)Warner306 Wrote:
(2016-03-30, 08:48)essjay Wrote: Speaking of graphics cards, is there any chance the original post could be updated with recommended hardware to get the best from DSPlayer & madVR? I'm looking to purchase a a GPU and ideally I'd like to only buy a Nvidia GTX950 as it's the cheapest but I don't actually know is it good enough. Should I be looking at a 960 or above?

I would never buy a graphics card for DSPlayer as it could quit working at any time. If you don't mind using any current version of madVR for the foreseeable future, then it might make sense. Or if you don't mind using Emby Theater or MPC-HC with Kodi in the future, it could also be worthwhile.

The GTX 950 is fine graphics card for madVR use, even when upscaling to 4K. But you will still have to compromise on some settings. Personally, I don't care about NNEDI3 image doubling all that much as super-xbr (which is currently being improved) when combined with SuperRes looks almost the same as NNEDI3 + SuperRes in test images, and actually looks better than NNEDI3 with some images. So it comes down to your taste for combining multiple image sharpeners/post-processing shaders with image doubling and SuperRes or a need to have extra power available when settings such as denoising, deblocking, etc. are added in the future. I'm certain there will be more "knobs" available in new version of madVR that require even more resources. Personally, I find any 2x resize to look good without being oversharpened by using a chain of super-xbr + SuperRes (3). That could easily be done with a GTX 950.

If it was me and I didn't care about gaming, I don't know I would be wanting to speed more than $200 on a graphics card that does nothing but produce images with madVR. If you are a video purist and would be willing to use MPC-HC with a mouse to get the best picture quality, then go for it. But a budget card like the GTX 950 is fairly future-proof for video rendering: 10-bit HEVC decoding, HDMI 2.0a, HDCP 2.2.

If you are image upscaling to 4K, I could post in the Doom9 forum and ask others if this is a card that will be capable of handling future versions of madVR. Today, it would probably be acceptable.

Great, thanks for that - appreciate you taking the time to respond.

I'm currently using Kodi with MPC-HC/madVR so I guess my question wasn't specifically on DSPlayer. I'm looking to try out DSPlayer though as some things are awkward with MPC-HC such as if I have Kodi set to play the next file automatically (which it loads in MPC-HC) and I try to stop it, Kodi just loads the next movie and I end up in a loop of Kodi starting and me stopping movies until I reach the end of the list of files. (I need Kodi to play the next file for the kids cartoons).

At this stage I don't need 4K upscaling as my home theatre is all 1080p and I'm not swapping out my projector for a few years yet. SD to 1080p perhaps but I do try and get at least 720p TV shows. That's not critical though.

PS - also looking to use Emby as a back end library management system for Kodi but might also try their player.
(2016-03-30, 09:29)SoundsGreat Wrote: Hi,

Quote:Your graphics card is about equivalent to an Intel HD 3000

Hmm that's not what I thought it was !! Anyways thanks for the reply and explanation !

But as I said earlier, In win8 things were not half as bad. I was able to watch everything with Lanczos3 AR for both image and chroma and sharpen complex 0.5 and enhance image 1.0

Again as said earlier,I had posted the same and you had suggested the setting of Lanczos3AR. So why is it failing in Win10 ?? Is it coz of changes in Kodi or Win ?? Should I revert back to Win8 ??

Also regarding the Lantoid,Can you please post as to how to configure it in DSPlayer ?

Also as a worst case scenario Am ready to junk this and buy a new setup (If it's absolutely must),The one where I can get best of the DS Player and MadVr.

I would prefer it if its a all in one like I have but Am willing to look at independent if All in One doesn't work. So Please can you recommend a suitable option.

But would first at least want the playback to be normal as before,In that regard any other suggestions,pointers ??

Regards.

Are you sure HEVC decoding is the problem and not your graphics card/madVR settings? Is there an obvious difference between HEVC and H.264 content? How large are these HEVC files?

I am certain your graphics card is under-powered. Any perceived loss of power when upgrading Windows is more likely due to changes to madVR than your OS. It has become more GPU-intensive since the latest update.

Edit: I just looked at your computer. It is very weak for HEVC playback. My Core 2 Duo can handle anything HEVC up to 6-8 GB. Anything higher and it stutters. It is a 3.0 GHz dual-core. Your card is about half that. So I would suspect 3-4 GB HEVC videos are the maximum you could handle using software decoding.

If you want to play HEVC files and use madVR, you really need newer hardware.
(2016-03-30, 09:58)essjay Wrote:
(2016-03-30, 09:26)Warner306 Wrote:

Great, thanks for that - appreciate you taking the time to respond.

I'm currently using Kodi with MPC-HC/madVR so I guess my question wasn't specifically on DSPlayer. I'm looking to try out DSPlayer though as some things are awkward with MPC-HC such as if I have Kodi set to play the next file automatically (which it loads in MPC-HC) and I try to stop it, Kodi just loads the next movie and I end up in a loop of Kodi starting and me stopping movies until I reach the end of the list of files. (I need Kodi to play the next file for the kids cartoons).

At this stage I don't need 4K upscaling as my home theatre is all 1080p and I'm not swapping out my projector for a few years yet. SD to 1080p perhaps but I do try and get at least 720p TV shows. That's not critical though.

PS - also looking to use Emby as a back end library management system for Kodi but might also try their player.

The GTX 950 would be fine for your set-up. It would have plenty of power. It is good value for the money.
Hi,

Thanks once again for your valuable inputs and time.

Quote:Are you sure HEVC decoding is the problem and not your graphics card/madVR settings? Is there an obvious difference between HEVC and H.264 content? How large are these HEVC files?

What do you mean by that ?? The MadVr settings remain the same as they were before.There is no Obvious difference both are 720p material and HEVC is 150Mb and 300Mb nothing more.(earlier was able to play 4Gig Fast and Furious 6 without much of an issue,with default Kodi DVD Player).

Am not even bothered about the HEVC,What Am talking about is the basic H.264 MKV,MP4 720P playback (not even 1080P),If I enable any of the image enhancements the system just dies.Even at times without any of the things enabled it still struggles,Now if MadVr has become so resource hungry then perhaps will have switch back to 15.1 DS Player version with old MadVr ??

Quote:I am certain your graphics card is under-powered. Any perceived loss of power when upgrading Windows is more likely due to changes to madVR than your OS. It has become more GPU-intensive since the latest update.

Well perhaps it is,but even for 720P ?? Again if the it's not to with OS why was I able to play things in Win8 ??

Quote:If you want to play HEVC files and use madVR, you really need newer hardware.

Like I said not too much concerned or bothered about HEVC (if I can play it nothing like it,If not that's okay too as long as H.264 MKV,MP4 plays fine).

Also as mentioned earlier Am ready to go for a new hardware if it's a must and would appreciate your inputs on the same

Will a QuadCore Intel Pentium with 8Gen Intel GPU do the job ? (it's supposed to do 4K,Native HEVC with Shader 5.0),Say something like this one below ??

Intel 3700 ITX

Or I can look for a individual components too if the above is not suitable (again proirity for now is on regular 720P,1080P H.264 MKV,MP4).

Regards.
If normal Kodi play 720 h264 fine. Check Lavfilters properties to see if HW accerelation is selected to DXVA2 copy-back. Should be no problem if you set all to DXVA2 or normal scaling method like bicubic.
(2016-03-30, 22:05)SoundsGreat Wrote: Hi,

Thanks once again for your valuable inputs and time.

Quote:Are you sure HEVC decoding is the problem and not your graphics card/madVR settings? Is there an obvious difference between HEVC and H.264 content? How large are these HEVC files?

What do you mean by that ?? The MadVr settings remain the same as they were before.There is no Obvious difference both are 720p material and HEVC is 150Mb and 300Mb nothing more.(earlier was able to play 4Gig Fast and Furious 6 without much of an issue,with default Kodi DVD Player).

Am not even bothered about the HEVC,What Am talking about is the basic H.264 MKV,MP4 720P playback (not even 1080P),If I enable any of the image enhancements the system just dies.Even at times without any of the things enabled it still struggles,Now if MadVr has become so resource hungry then perhaps will have switch back to 15.1 DS Player version with old MadVr ??

Quote:I am certain your graphics card is under-powered. Any perceived loss of power when upgrading Windows is more likely due to changes to madVR than your OS. It has become more GPU-intensive since the latest update.

Well perhaps it is,but even for 720P ?? Again if the it's not to with OS why was I able to play things in Win8 ??

Quote:If you want to play HEVC files and use madVR, you really need newer hardware.

Like I said not too much concerned or bothered about HEVC (if I can play it nothing like it,If not that's okay too as long as H.264 MKV,MP4 plays fine).

Also as mentioned earlier Am ready to go for a new hardware if it's a must and would appreciate your inputs on the same

Will a QuadCore Intel Pentium with 8Gen Intel GPU do the job ? (it's supposed to do 4K,Native HEVC with Shader 5.0),Say something like this one below ??

Intel 3700 ITX

Or I can look for a individual components too if the above is not suitable (again proirity for now is on regular 720P,1080P H.264 MKV,MP4).

Regards.

The last two versions of madVR slowed down performance to improve anti-ringing. So you don't have to go back to Isengard. Just use an older version of madVR. Like oldpoem said, with hardware acceleration enabled in LAV Video, you should have smooth playback with Bicubic or Lanczos. But you won't be able to use image enhancements or upscaling refinement.

For HEVC playback of large files, you will need a GPU that supports HEVC hardware acceleration. All of the new graphics cards this year should feature HEVC support. A new CPU won't get you very far.
(2016-03-30, 08:48)essjay Wrote: Speaking of graphics cards, is there any chance the original post could be updated with recommended hardware to get the best from DSPlayer & madVR (in my case just for 1080p content)? I'm looking to purchase a a GPU and ideally I'd like to only buy a Nvidia GTX950 as it's the cheapest but I don't actually know is it good enough. Should I be looking at a 960 or above?

Get a 950, any card above that is a waste. They won't do miracles with madVR renderer and they're suited better for gaming anyway.

I've got a 970... Even with the best filters, the difference was noticeable, but not worth paying more for it. I'm a gamer, of course, so I use the 970's power elsewhere.
  • 216(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Kodi DSPlayer – DirectShow Player for Windows47