• 26(current)
Win HOW TO - Kodi 2D - 3D - UHD (4k) HDR Guide Internal & External Players ISO Menus
Unfortunately, the issue persists. 

My next try (tomorrow) will be a different Kodi version; I will try Krypton 17.6.  If it works, I will have to decide whether to keep it or wait until the issue is fixed in Leia, since in Leia I have a working Netflix addon and a lot of music improvements that I don't want to lose.  Or I could just learn to live with the quirk, as there is nothing wrong with playing SD and HD files with MPC-BE.

I posted in the External Players thread, even though I do not see much activity in that thread.

Again, thanks @brazen1 for all your help.

Regards,

Bart
I don't know what your issue is?  I do know the code I tailored for you post #372 works perfectly here.  You don't need a .bat as you followed up replying.  I understand that might have been because you grabbed the code before I was done editing.  Now that I've tested it, I feel confident this guide remains extremely universal but now with your complaint I'm wondering?  I don't want to wonder.  I want it to work for you.  v.17.6 vs Leia should make 0 difference.  You requested 1 external player only (MPC-BE) to open any file with '4K' in the name providing it is an .mkv file extension only.  You say once you play the 4k.mkv with MPC that works correctly, a subsequent play of another file type that is not 4k, continues to use the MPC player instead of the internal Kodi videoplayer.  That simply is not happening here after applying the custom xml and adding 4K to a file name.  I added '4K' in the file name to the Kodi wiki Life of Pi sample using the code from #372 because I have no other 4k mkv's.  All my stuff is iso.  If you are trying to play a subsequent iso after playing your 4k.mkv, it's not going to work.  That would require different code but you didn't request that be included and your hint of code didn't suggest it.  Just guessing here.  I don't know anything about adding or removing periods, asterisks or taking hyphens out of 'MPC-BE' or the other fixes suggested.  It's all working on my end and it's just a simple xml and as far as I'm concerned, there is nothing to fix .  When and if you find the problem, please report back in case it does have something to do with the code compatibility which is highly unlikely.  In the mean time, copy and paste the code again, don't modify anything, and give it a whirl again.  Maybe provide more details like exact name of files involved and anything else you deem related.
HOW TO - Kodi 2D - 3D - UHD (4k) HDR Guide Internal & External Players iso menus
DIY HOME THEATER WIND EFFECT

W11 Pro 24H2 MPC-BE\HC madVR KODI 22 GTX960-4GB/RGB 4:4:4/Desktop 60Hz 8bit Video Matched Refresh rates 23,24,50,60Hz 8/10/12bit/Samsung 82" Q90R Denon S720W
(2018-01-09, 06:32)brazen1 Wrote: I don't know what your issue is?  I do know the code I tailored for you post #372 works perfectly here.  You don't need a .bat as you followed up replying.  I understand that might have been because you grabbed the code before I was done editing.  Now that I've tested it, I feel confident this guide remains extremely universal but now with your complaint I'm wondering?  I don't want to wonder.  I want it to work for you.  v.17.6 vs Leia should make 0 difference.  You requested 1 external player only (MPC-BE) to open any file with '4K' in the name providing it is an .mkv file extension only.  You say once you play the 4k.mkv with MPC that works correctly, a subsequent play of another file type that is not 4k, continues to use the MPC player instead of the internal Kodi videoplayer.  That simply is not happening here after applying the custom xml and adding 4K to a file name.  I added '4K' in the file name to the Kodi wiki Life of Pi sample using the code from #372 because I have no other 4k mkv's.  All my stuff is iso.  If you are trying to play a subsequent iso after playing your 4k.mkv, it's not going to work.  That would require different code but you didn't request that be included and your hint of code didn't suggest it.  Just guessing here.  I don't know anything about adding or removing periods, asterisks or taking hyphens out of 'MPC-BE' or the other fixes suggested.  It's all working on my end and it's just a simple xml and as far as I'm concerned, there is nothing to fix .  When and if you find the problem, please report back in case it does have something to do with the code compatibility which is highly unlikely.  In the mean time, copy and paste the code again, don't modify anything, and give it a whirl again.  Maybe provide more details like exact name of files involved and anything else you deem related.
 brazen1,

Thank you for your continued help.  I tried again with the code you provided, with no alterations.  

I also changed the naming of a couple of my 4K files to test.  Before I had something like "Bright (2017).4K.mkv"; I changed it to "Bright (2017)(4K).mkv", and also tried with "Bright (2017)4K.mkv.

Unfortunately, the issue is still there: 

1. I play a movie that is not 4K, and it plays in the internal player
2. I play a movie that is 4K, and it plays in MPC-BE (I just leave it for a few seconds, and then close the player)
3. I play another movie that is not 4K, and it also plays in MPC-BE.
4. Any movie that I play, plays in MPC-BE

I think I will live with this issue for now, and tonight I will complete the configurations of MPC-BE and madVR per your guide and just enjoy my media!

Regards,

Bart

EDIT:

Since I wanted to find out if it was a Leia problem or not, I uninstalled Kodi completely (even the profile folder), and installed Krypton 17.6 32-bit.  Stock Estuary skin, no other addons besides the ones that come with Kodi.  I created the playercorefactory.xml again as per your code in post #372, and I added one of my sources which has 4k movies.

In Krypton 17.6, the playercorefactory.xml works perfectly! 4K movies get played with MPC-BE, and non-4K movies get played with the internal player.

So, yes, it's a Leia 64-bit problem.  My next test is going to be Leia 32-bit, just to be sure it isn't the 64-bit that has the issue.  Then, I will post again in the External Players thread.

EDIT 2: Uninstalled Krypton and installed Leia 32-bit. Created the playercorefactory.xml and added my source.  The issue is there, once a movie is played with MPC-BE, all movies get played with MPC-BE.
(2018-01-09, 04:09)bsoriano Wrote: Hello again,

I have a new strange issue that I can't figure out.  Once I play a file using MPC-BE, every file after that will be played with MPC-BE, even if you choose "VideoPlayer" in the context menu "Play Using...".  I don't know if this is a Leia issue (I am using the latest nightly), or if there is something wrong in my playercorefactory.xml.  This is what I have:

<playercorefactory>
  <players>
    <player name="MPC-BE" type="ExternalPlayer" audio="false" video="true">
      <filename>C:\Program Files\MPC-BE x64\mpc-be64.exe</filename>
      <args>"{1}" /fullscreen /close</args>
      <hidekodi>false</hidekodi>
      <hideconsole>false</hideconsole>
      <warpcursor>none</warpcursor>
    </player>
  </players>
   <rules action="prepend">
    <rule name="4K" filetypes="mkv" filename=".*4K.*" player="MPC-BE" />
   </rules>
</playercorefactory>

Can you spot any problems with this file? Also, does it matter that there is another playercorefactory.xml in the Kodi "system" folder (not the user's system folder)?

I thought that having that other playercorefactory.xml might have something to do with the issue, but it does not, since to test I renamed that file, and still the issue persists.  I also included my lines into that file, and still the issue is there.

Any ideas? Thanks!

Regards,

Bart
I can confirm same issue with v18 from 08.01.2018 on win 10 fcu. After i restart kodi it works for me again for playing e.g. ts recording files.
HTPC: Windows 10 Pro 22H2, Zalman HD135, Intel i3-7100, GTX 1070, UHD ASUS BW-16D1HT
NAS: Xpenology 7.2 Update 1, Intel i5-6600
Ok.  I installed Leia x64 latest nightly.  Indeed the playercorefactory function is broken as you described.  Also, HEVC for non-UHD crashes Kodi.  In the past it didn't.

Everything continues to work perfectly in v.17.6 including the custom playercorefactory I posted for you.

However, I installed Leia x64 to the oldest nightly in the database from November.  Everything works as intended except HEVC for non-UHD.  The functionality has been broken or removed intentionally somewhere between the oldest nightly and the newest.  I have no control over that.  Because external playback is not vital or directly related to Kodi, it may or may not be addressed.  I don't really know how to simplify this complicated problem to present it to a dev.  To replicate would be a lot of setup beyond simply installing Kodi Leia versions.....
HOW TO - Kodi 2D - 3D - UHD (4k) HDR Guide Internal & External Players iso menus

W11 Pro 24H2 MPC-BE\HC madVR KODI 22 GTX960-4GB/RGB 4:4:4/Desktop 60Hz 8bit Video Matched Refresh rates 23,24,50,60Hz 8/10/12bit/Samsung 82" Q90R Denon S720W
Thanks brazen1 for confirming.  I will stick with Krypton 17.6 for now, as with the Sony TV I now have, Netflix works really well on the TV itself, with audio through my receiver, and I can use J River Media Center for my music needs.  If and when they fix this in Leia, I will move to Leia. 

I posted the info in the External Players thread, since I received a response last night from a Team Kodi member.  Hopefully, he (PatK) can take the issue further to have devs review it, or can point me in the direction of where I can post/open a ticket so they can review.

Once I finish all the configurations, I will let you know how it went.  Again, thank you for your help.

Regards,

Bart
I was going to make a new thread for an issue I'm having with Kodi, but I decided to check in here first. 

Sometime ago I switched from Krypton to Leia (Nightly), as I was having some issues with Krypton which just didn't resolve. I experienced none of those issues with Leia and everything seems to be working better for me in Leia then it did in Krypton. 

There was one video playback issue I encountered in Leia, which I did resolve, however, wanted to see if I could learn more about it. 

For as long as I can remember, I always had the following under Settings -> Player Settings -> Video -> Processing for all versions of Kodi I've used. I don't ever remember touching these settings as I never had any issues with video playback.

Essentially, Render Method was selected as "Auto" and DXVA2 processing was "On".

After I switched to Leia, I was getting choppy/jerky video playback. Nothing had changed (hardware, software, settings), I had simply upgraded from Krypton to Leia. The playback reminded me of playing a 24p video when your frame rate is set to 60hz instead of 24hz. 

A quick Google search brought me to a post where someone recommended switching Render Method to "Software" and turning off DXVA2. As soon as I did that, lo & behold, all my videos played perfectly smooth. Choppiness was gone. And therefore these are my settings with Leia now.

It works fine. 

My question is, why? Why did I need to change this with Leia? The hardware & software is exactly the same. Intel Core i7-6800K CPU. nVidia GTX 1080 8GB GPU. 16GB DDR4 RAM. ASUS X99-A II MB. Windows 10 Pro x64 OS. All components remain the same.

More importantly, am I "losing" anything, in terms of PQ, Video, etc., by switching render method to software & turning off DXVA2 hardware acceleration? Or does it not matter?

Thanks!
Remember, Leia is in alpha/beta.  It's good we are noticing some quirky things and hopefully the dev(s) building Leia pick up on this feedback.  I don't mind that it's here limited and I don't know of a Leia thread for bug reports but it would be a good idea to start one elsewhere if one doesn't exist.  Usually that sort of thing is suggested to open up a ticket anyway.  Afaik, Leia should be introducing UHD compatibility and if so I'm sure that in itself is a challenge.  Without knowing anything about it, before a hardware solution from a GPU can be applied, the basics probably start with software decoding via a CPU.  Consider the dev may be limited to a device such as an NUC also where Intel processing and graphics are combined.  Perhaps this is the reason when you eliminate DXVA2 hardware decoding and thus switch to the CPU software decoding your judder straightens out?  Maybe Leia development has made it this far but not as far along to satisfy Nvidia users yet?  Unfortunately, that will eliminate many systems that were working previously.  So I would think that in time, hardware decoding for all GPU's would be developed as well.  I've heard reports that UHD was working for some using Leia.  I never got it to though.  Probably my hardware since pressing play on a title resulted in nothing and logs showed nothing.  I never pursued how others are using it.  I assume you are playing SDR?  If UHD, I'm interested in all the particulars.  After my revisit to Leia today and discovering HEVC x264 crashes, I'm pretty much in the dark.  Btw, no you're not losing out on anything playing software vs hardware as long as your CPU can handle it.

(2018-01-10, 00:49)brazen1 Wrote: Remember, Leia is in alpha/beta.  It's good we are noticing some quirky things and hopefully the dev(s) building Leia pick up on this feedback.  I don't mind that it's here limited and I don't know of a Leia thread for bug reports but it would be a good idea to start one elsewhere if one doesn't exist.  Usually that sort of thing is suggested to open up a ticket anyway.  Afaik, Leia should be introducing UHD compatibility and if so I'm sure that in itself is a challenge.  Without knowing anything about it, before a hardware solution from a GPU can be applied, the basics probably start with software decoding via a CPU.  Consider the dev may be limited to a device such as an NUC also where Intel processing and graphics are combined.  Perhaps this is the reason when you eliminate DXVA2 hardware decoding and thus switch to the CPU software decoding your judder straightens out?  Maybe Leia development has made it this far but not as far along to satisfy Nvidia users yet?  Unfortunately, that will eliminate many systems that were working previously.  So I would think that in time, hardware decoding for all GPU's would be developed as well.  I've heard reports that UHD was working for some using Leia.  I never got it to though.  Probably my hardware since pressing play on a title resulted in nothing and logs showed nothing.  I never pursued how others are using it.  I assume you are playing SDR?  If UHD, I'm interested in all the particulars.  After my revisit to Leia today and discovering HEVC x264 crashes, I'm pretty much in the dark.  Btw, no you're not losing out on anything playing software vs hardware as long as your CPU can handle it.
Your statement which I highlighted (bold) above was important to me. That was my biggest concern. I could not see any discernable difference or drop in quality, but it's always good to get a confirmation from someone with your knowledge & know-how on these matters. 

I do understand your point about bug reporting and I will ultimately open this up as a different thread for those reasons. 

One quick pointer though, which I omitted in my original post. 

I have a "Client" / "Satellite" HTPC which I use in the family room to stream media & games (Steam IHS) from the main Home Theater HTPC. The above issue & specs were for the main Home Theater HTPC. 

The "Client" HTPC has simpler hardware - Intel Core i5-2500K CPU & nVidia GT 1030 GPU. This machine was also upgraded from Krypton to Leia at the same time, and Client/Server setup was configured between the two. Very interestingly, this system does not have the Render Method issue. I'm able to set Render Method as "Auto" and Allow Hardware Acceleration - DXVA2 to "On" and video playback is perfectly smooth & flawless. 

This video playback issue only occurred on the GTX 1080 machine - the main HTPC. This tells me that it's not simply a matter of Kodi v18 - Leia "requiring" Software Rendering Method & DXVA2 "Off", or that it's unable to function with those features - but rather, quite possible, a mix of circumstances. Or perhaps, Leia is not at fault at all in this issue - since it works perfectly fine on my much lower-end GT 1030 machine. Perhaps it's something else altogether on my main HTPC. 

I'm not sure. But it is good to know I don't need to lose sleep over PQ. 

Thanks.
brazen1,

Last night I finished all the configurations, and did some testing.  Everything is working fine, 4K mkvs play with MPC-BE, and all other play with the internal player.  I was getting some Kodi crashes, but they seem to have been resolved once I switched skins.  My only concern right now is that I don't think I am getting the best image possible with my current madVR configuration.  My current configuration is this:

https://imgur.com/a/kSO3s

All other madVR settings are as per your guide.  This configuration is not what I started with.  I followed the advice that you mention in post #205 and looked at the Warner306 guide on setting up madVR, and initially had this configuration:

Medium:
  • Chroma: NGU Sharp (high) 
  • Downscaling: SSIM 1D 100% + AR + LL
  • Image upscaling: Jinc3 + AR
  • Image doubling: Off
  • Upscaling refinement: Off
  • Artifact removal - Debanding: Medium/High
  • Artifact removal - Deringing: Off
  • Image enhancements: crispen edges (0.5) + AR
  • Dithering: Ordered

Which is what he recommends for 2160p, with a medium powered graphics card.  I thought my GTX 1050Ti would qualify as medium powered (actually I would have thought high powered).  With that configuration, I was getting many dropped frames, and rendering times above 41 ms.

So I changed it to the config I now have, and rendering times are under 20ms, but I don't think I am getting the best image.  Any advice?

Thank you for your continued help.

Regards,

Bart
Every card is different.  Your 1050Ti (memory unknown?) and my 960 4GB are similar.  They are low to midrange for what we do here but more than capable and acceptable.  How much more algorithm tuning you want to get out of madVR is directly related to how much more you want to spend.  Imo, the extra cost is not worth the extra benefits simply because I'm not made of money and there are plenty of other things to pay for upgrading (constantly it seems) then a little more oomph from a video card.  I'm sure there are plenty of folks where money is no object and want as much as they can get but again imo, it isn't necessary.  I think it's sort of overkill.  I also don't game so, much of what a high end GPU offers simply doesn't apply to me. 

As for madVR tuning, again, depends what you want to do and how your eye grades might be different than another.  Rules of thumb are enhancing low quality sources require more computing power than enhancing a source that is already high quality.  So, if you have a poor quality SD or 720p for example (compressed small file) and you want it to look like a UHD, your GPU has some work to do.  Thankfully, madVR can certainly give it the 'work'.  Likewise, if your source is a 1:1 UHD rip and you're going to play it back on your UHD display, there isn't much work to do.  If you give it work to do thinking it's going to improve the picture, you'll probably notice you're adding or removing information that simply shouldn't be there and dehances (I'm coining that word right here and now) instead of enhancing it.  You can however tailor it to your eye however you see fit, usually to help make up for deficiencies in your display.  Whether it applies or not is a different story and why algorithms are constantly refined and added (the same applies for sources).  At the same time, not every SD, 720p, or 1080p are alike.  Neither are one UHD to another UHD.  A like resolution will behave differently from title to title to some degree.

I'm just a user like you and most others.  I know a little bit about a little bit of everything, sort of.  Some more than others.  LoL.  My collection is fairly diverse.  The bulk of it, the highest source possible.  I have a UHD display.  Image Downscaling means nothing to me.  If I was playing 8k sources, it would.  And so on and so forth for unique users, GPU's, and what YOUR eye likes.  That said (and remember, I'm no expert by any means) so anyone feel free to correct me.  I can hack it, LoL):

Deactivate deinterlacing unless you use TV broadcasts.
Use artifact removal if your GPU can handle it.  Mine can't for UHD but can for SD and HD.  I created separate profiles for this setting.  UHD, HD, and SD.
Turn off all image enhancements unless a last resort.
Adjust Luma before Chroma.  Whatever is left over, apply to Chroma.  Get as much out both as you can.  Then move on to other adjustments.
Create Scaling profiles for 2160p, 1080p, 720p, and SD to tailor each resolution.  Each uses dramatically different settings unlike the one common one you are using (which is fine if your playback looks good to you).  Each individual setting is more than I want to list but if someone requests and list them, I will fill in the blanks.  Understand though, it would be for my GPU, my sources, and my eye.  It pretty much falls into line with others though.
I use other profiles as well but they start to get a little more complicated than they're worth.

Lastly, I've noticed the color space on some HDR's are a little off now that I switched from forcing RGB full to 'use default color settings' in NCP.  Maybe the new driver, maybe I didn't notice before?  It's subtle.  Also, the color space differentiates from HDR to SDR.  I blame this on my display firmware update for taking away HDR as a separate adjustable mode since now it shares SDR mode because it's on the same HDMI input.  Soooooo, I'm going to switch back to forcing RGB FULL for everything again.  I should have left it alone cuz spit happens.

Hope this helps you.

(2018-01-10, 19:15)brazen1 Wrote: Every card is different.  Your 1050Ti (memory unknown?) and my 960 4GB are similar.  They are low to midrange for what we do here but more than capable and acceptable.  How much more algorithm tuning you want to get out of madVR is directly related to how much more you want to spend.  Imo, the extra cost is not worth the extra benefits simply because I'm not made of money and there are plenty of other things to pay for upgrading (constantly it seems) then a little more oomph from a video card.  I'm sure there are plenty of folks where money is no object and want as much as they can get but again imo, it isn't necessary.  I think it's sort of overkill.  I also don't game so, much of what a high end GPU offers simply doesn't apply to me. 

As for madVR tuning, again, depends what you want to do and how your eye grades might be different than another.  Rules of thumb are enhancing low quality sources require more computing power than enhancing a source that is already high quality.  So, if you have a poor quality SD or 720p for example (compressed small file) and you want it to look like a UHD, your GPU has some work to do.  Thankfully, madVR can certainly give it the 'work'.  Likewise, if your source is a 1:1 UHD rip and you're going to play it back on your UHD display, there isn't much work to do.  If you give it work to do thinking it's going to improve the picture, you'll probably notice you're adding or removing information that simply shouldn't be there and dehances (I'm coining that word right here and now) instead of enhancing it.  You can however tailor it to your eye however you see fit, usually to help make up for deficiencies in your display.  Whether it applies or not is a different story and why algorithms are constantly refined and added (the same applies for sources).  At the same time, not every SD, 720p, or 1080p are alike.  Neither are one UHD to another UHD.  A like resolution will behave differently from title to title to some degree.

I'm just a user like you and most others.  I know a little bit about a little bit of everything, sort of.  Some more than others.  LoL.  My collection is fairly diverse.  The bulk of it, the highest source possible.  I have a UHD display.  Image Downscaling means nothing to me.  If I was playing 8k sources, it would.  And so on and so forth for unique users, GPU's, and what YOUR eye likes.  That said (and remember, I'm no expert by any means) so anyone feel free to correct me.  I can hack it, LoL):

Deactivate deinterlacing unless you use TV broadcasts.
Use artifact removal if your GPU can handle it.  Mine can't for UHD but can for SD and HD.  I created separate profiles for this setting.  UHD, HD, and SD.
Turn off all image enhancements unless a last resort.
Adjust Luma before Chroma.  Whatever is left over, apply to Chroma.  Get as much out both as you can.  Then move on to other adjustments.
Create Scaling profiles for 2160p, 1080p, 720p, and SD to tailor each resolution.  Each uses dramatically different settings unlike the one common one you are using (which is fine if your playback looks good to you).  Each individual setting is more than I want to list but if someone requests and list them, I will fill in the blanks.  Understand though, it would be for my GPU, my sources, and my eye.  It pretty much falls into line with others though.
I use other profiles as well but they start to get a little more complicated than they're worth.

Lastly, I've noticed the color space on some HDR's are a little off now that I switched from forcing RGB full to 'use default color settings' in NCP.  Maybe the new driver, maybe I didn't notice before?  It's subtle.  Also, the color space differentiates from HDR to SDR.  I blame this on my display firmware update for taking away HDR as a separate adjustable mode since now it shares SDR mode because it's on the same HDMI input.  Soooooo, I'm going to switch back to forcing RGB FULL for everything again.  I should have left it alone cuz spit happens.

Hope this helps you.
Thanks brazen1!

It certainly helps.  My 1050Ti has 4GB.  I decided on a single profile, since MPC-BE with madVR is only used to play 4K mkvs, and nothing else right now.  So, only 2160p on a 2160p display.  I will give some of your recommendations a whirl (they are very welcome, thanks!).  Since you mention that your 960 4G and the 1050Ti are similar, would you be so kind as to post the settings in your 2160p profile? I would really appreciate it, and I understand that these work for your card, your display, your sources, and your eyes.  Thus, I will not post any complaints or questions in regards to how my setup looks based on your settings.

Once again, thank you for your help.

Regards,

Bart
For UHD processing (a UHD 1:1 source) - Nothing.  My GPU isn't strong enough.  I also don't think any GPU is capable of using 'high' settings at this time.  SD and HD can be used though but you want UHD.
I asked that you list the settings and I would fill in the blanks.  Anyway,

For UHD (2160p) Scaling:
Chroma upscaling - NGU AA MED.
Luma image upscaling - NGU Sharp

Quality:
luma doubling - High
luma quad - let madVr decide (because of title variances)
chroma - let madVR decide (because of title variances)

Activate double/quad - only if any upscale is needed for double and quad (since UHD does not need to be upscaled).
If it did need more scaling for some odd reason:
upscale algo - Jinc AR (for a source that was not quite UHD but higher than HD)
downscale algo - SSIM ID AR LL. (For a source that was higher than UHD and not lower to conform to my UHD display)

Until I upgrade my GPU, I cannot experiment with UHD processing using any of the new artifact removal algo's:  RBA, RRA, RCA, or RRN.  Currently when viewing SD and HD all is well.  When viewing UHD I must turn down Sharpness in my display from 71 to 21 or too much noise is introduced.  Perhaps these algo's would clean that up so I don't have to manually intervene my display settings.  I hate it tbh.  If my AVR was dual output, I could use a dedicated HDMI port for UHD only and the setting would be exclusive, but I don't.  I could get an HDMI splitter but I'm afraid it would degrade quality or introduce more complications than it would cure.  So I live with it for now.  Maybe Samsung will realize the mistake they caused in a firmware update that removed UHD HDR as a separate configurable mode within the same HDMI port.  3D mode is still a separate configurable mode using the same port so why they did away with HDR I don't know.  This is the real cure I await although I may be waiting forever.

(2018-01-10, 22:20)brazen1 Wrote: For UHD processing (a UHD 1:1 source) - Nothing.  My GPU isn't strong enough.  I also don't think any GPU is capable of using 'high' settings at this time.  SD and HD can be used though but you want UHD.
I asked that you list the settings and I would fill in the blanks.  Anyway,

For UHD (2160p) Scaling:
Chroma upscaling - NGU AA MED.
Luma image upscaling - NGU Sharp

Quality:
luma doubling - High
luma quad - let madVr decide (because of title variances)
chroma - let madVR decide (because of title variances)

Activate double/quad - only if any upscale is needed for double and quad (since UHD does not need to be upscaled).
If it did need more scaling for some odd reason:
upscale algo - Jinc AR (for a source that was not quite UHD but higher than HD)
downscale algo - SSIM ID AR LL. (For a source that was higher than UHD and not lower to conform to my UHD display)

Until I upgrade my GPU, I cannot experiment with UHD processing using any of the new artifact removal algo's:  RBA, RRA, RCA, or RRN.  Currently when viewing SD and HD all is well.  When viewing UHD I must turn down Sharpness in my display from 71 to 21 or too much noise is introduced.  Perhaps these algo's would clean that up so I don't have to manually intervene my display settings.  I hate it tbh.  If my AVR was dual output, I could use a dedicated HDMI port for UHD only and the setting would be exclusive, but I don't.  I could get an HDMI splitter but I'm afraid it would degrade quality or introduce more complications than it would cure.  So I live with it for now.  Maybe Samsung will realize the mistake they caused in a firmware update that removed UHD HDR as a separate configurable mode within the same HDMI port.  3D mode is still a separate configurable mode using the same port so why they did away with HDR I don't know.  This is the real cure I await although I may be waiting forever.
Thanks brazen1!,

Sorry, I thought I had provided you all of my settings in the imgur album.  In any case, I will give these a try when I get home tonight!

I think I am in the same boat as you, since my Sony TV does not have a separate configurable mode for HDR, and my Yamaha AVR is not dual output either.  I guess I will have to deal with adjustments as well.

Regards,

Bart
(2018-01-10, 19:15)brazen1 Wrote: Lastly, I've noticed the color space on some HDR's are a little off now that I switched from forcing RGB full to 'use default color settings' in NCP.  Maybe the new driver, maybe I didn't notice before?  It's subtle.  Also, the color space differentiates from HDR to SDR.  I blame this on my display firmware update for taking away HDR as a separate adjustable mode since now it shares SDR mode because it's on the same HDMI input.  Soooooo, I'm going to switch back to forcing RGB FULL for everything again.  I should have left it alone cuz spit happens.
 I was looking over your post and realized you had switched back from "use default color settings" in NCP to forcing RGB. 

So is this the better/recommended setting again:

Code:

Select YCbCr422 and save.
Select 12bpc.
Select RGB.
Select FULL
Save.

I also have a follow-up question for you, and anyone else using a GT 1030. 

My main home theater HTPC hosts a GTX 1080, however, a client HTPC which I use in the family room, hosts a GT 1030. A few months ago I bought GT 1030 after reading its specs, and largely based on the first few pages of this thread here at Kodi Forums: https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid...pid2623237

However, as I recently upgraded the display to a Samsung 4K HDR display (UN65MU7000), I'm starting to read threads where folks could not get GT 1030 to playback HDR (4K seems to work fine). 

I'm still in the process of setting up MPC-BE & MadVR on this client HTPC with GT 1030, but all posts I'm seeing say it's not possible to run HDR on a GT 1030. This is a bit disconcerting as nVidia does claim 4K HEVC HDR @ 60fps support for GT 1030. WOuldn't that go against nVidia's claims of a hardware capability?

Or, is it just MadVR/MPC which won't do HDR on GT 1030? Is there some other way to support HDR on GT 1030? 

Thanks for all your help!
  • 26(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
HOW TO - Kodi 2D - 3D - UHD (4k) HDR Guide Internal & External Players ISO Menus39