• 38(current)
Win HOW TO - Kodi 2D - 3D - UHD (4k) HDR Guide Internal & External Players ISO Menus
"Most of my conclusions have been confirmed by others after pointing them out so I highly doubt a driver version affects some and not others.  Different models will perform differently but when sharing the same driver they all inherit the same flaws or improvements commanded by the driver.  While you are testing driver versions for certain 3D aspects, I am testing for most if not all other aspects including tiny details that may not be of importance to some but are of great importance to others.  After all, diversity is what this guide is all about.  Version 385.28 is the closest all around working driver there is.  V.391.35 has a terrible audio flaw.  Making a general statement that it "works also", may be true in the drivers 3D aspect but after numerous hours of testing, it fails a critical audio aspect requiring a roll back to 385.28 which still behaves nicely in most aspects."

I did encounter audio issues with 391.35 and have reverted backwards. My system kept switching over to "stereo" which is highly annoying to fix every bootup. Upon rolling back, I discovered I was wrong when I quoted 385.28 for me yesterday. It's actually 385.69 as I documented in post 492. In fact, this was your own discovery on my system. We'll have to agree to disagree on different drivers on different systems but this is a good example on a version that worked for you but not for me (3D computer vomit error messages.) I won't revisit this topic again, I'll just leave it at that. Also, testing 3D is the very first thing that I do because it's so darn finicky version to version but it's not the only thing I test! 

"I understand you are trying to go off in your own direction and probably why it's difficult for you.  Perhaps if you revealed what exactly your own direction is, someone would assist you?
  Fwiw, no driver automatically toggles 3D. " 

I really don't know what I want to do. I just want to experiment. To experiment I want to understand how the guts of that playercorefactory works to a great detail. At some point it's just going to be trial and error. What I honestly don't want to do is say "ok today I want to try this" and have you give me code and two days later say "I want to do this" and have you give me code. I think you've given enough in that last message to get me to the point where I can figure it out. Particularly using one rule. As important as menus were to me for so long, I have gotten accustomed thanks to the TV episodes of going straight into the episode with no delay and also being able to resume if I quit at some point. That may actually lead me to Blu-ray iso's into Kodi with "play main movie" option. 

By "automatic" I just meant that I don't have to use a mouse to toggle 3D. So the driver isn't doing it automatically - but your code takes the place and does it automatically. Fortunately Smile

for the real question of the day - reading through the MPC forum and help files there are some vague implications that it can 'resume' but I've never been able to get it to do that even outside of Kodi. To your knowledge is MPC able to resume?
Fwiw, driver 385.69 cannot retain 12bit when using custom modes but 385.28 can.  Thus, it remains preferred, at least in my testing.

Yes, MPC can resume as can all other players.  I think I already covered this earlier but to save you the hassle, I'll explain again using latest MPC-BE nightly as the example:

Options/Player
Keep history of recently opened files - check
Remember file position - check
HOW TO - Kodi 2D - 3D - UHD (4k) HDR Guide Internal & External Players iso menus
DIY HOME THEATER WIND EFFECT

W11 Pro 24H2 MPC-BE\HC madVR KODI 22 GTX960-4GB/RGB 4:4:4/Desktop 60Hz 8bit Video Matched Refresh rates 23,24,50,60Hz 8/10/12bit/Samsung 82" Q90R Denon S720W
Hello!

I have found some strange states in the latest updated description:

You say KODI doesn't support UHD. -> As far as I know it does.

Quote: The special afedchin build only supports 3D MVC using HDMI 1.3. UHD requires HDMI 2.0 and is not backwards compatible. -> Sure is HDMI 2.0 100% backward compatible with 1.4 and thus also with 3D MVC. Where did you get this information? Or it only applies to the MVC KODI player? As far as I know the problem is the DP->HDMI 2.0a converter chip used on newer Intel platforms, and has basically nothing to do with HDMI 2.0 in general. And thus also won't affect any dedicated video cards with HDMI 2.0 outputs. 

You also say that MPCHC-BE/MadVR supports 3D MVC. -> 100% Pure FHD Frame Packed MVC 3D sent right to the TV? No tricking and hicking? Great, at least an alternative to PDVD. I guess it applies both for 3D BD iso and MVC mkvs? What are the experiences, witch has the more reliable, better PQ and smoother 3D playback the MadVR solution or the PDVD? Would be also good to know if it also works fine with AMD cards, like the RX550.
That's great Windows KODI supports UHD as far as you know.  Perhaps you can explain exactly how we can play full UHD HDR.iso rips using the KODI internal videoplayer and harmonize all settings so no manual intervention with anything is needed when playing other formats or other players simultaneously as we are now.  This includes specialized hardware, oversaturated video, and the need for Windows HDR setting to be enabled which wipes out the desktop.  TIA.  We just like to press enter on any and all titles with absolutely no limitations or caveats and have everything automate and work perfectly as intended no matter what it is or what player we'd like to assign as default or manually choose if desired and at the highest quality and versatility as possible. 

I think you're misconstruing my words into yours and based on our last bout and I've no desire to resume.  "Not backwards compatible" means UHD HDR requires HDMI 2.0a and is not backwards compatible with HDMI 1.4.  UHD HDR needs HDMI 2.0a at a minimum.  It is not going to render from HDMI 1.4.  3D MVC requires HDMI 1.3 at minimum, however an HDMI 2.0a port will pass 3D MVC from dedicated video cards.  Unfortunately, Intel Graphics does not pass 3D MVC and UHD HDR from an HDMI 2.0a port simultaneously afaik.

Yes, MPC players and others with common components (LAV Filters and madVR) 100% support 3D frame packed MVC but main movie only.  For complete menus, PowerDVD is required.  Each handles any 3D format and iso and mkv as well as other containers.  Both are reliable or we wouldn't be using both of them or any of the others.  Imo, the madVR solution produces higher quality at the expense of some added CPU usage on top of the GPU usage.  Yes, madVR hardware decodes taking most of the load but uses CPU software resources too.  This increase in quality is user distinguished.... or not - dependent on hardware, settings, seating distance, etc.  Each has enhancement settings, madVR offering much more customization.  Each produces smooth playback although NVidia will drop a single frame every few minutes.  Each auto switches displays into the appropriate 3D mode.  I've no idea how AMD performs let alone how models perform other than what I've read which is good to great.
HOW TO - Kodi 2D - 3D - UHD (4k) HDR Guide Internal & External Players iso menus

W11 Pro 24H2 MPC-BE\HC madVR KODI 22 GTX960-4GB/RGB 4:4:4/Desktop 60Hz 8bit Video Matched Refresh rates 23,24,50,60Hz 8/10/12bit/Samsung 82" Q90R Denon S720W
So does Windows KODI support 4K video playback, or not? I still think it does. Your statement was that it doesn't, and that's just false. No mention regarding HDR (as I know well, that the official KODI fork still doesn't support it). There are also many 4K SDR materials available. On the other had: DS Player (based entirely on KODI) with MadVR also supports both 4K AND HDR flawlessly and also almost all possible audio and video formats available at the moment (with the same level PQ as with MPCHC+MadVR). I'm not braking the flag here, or propagate beside KODI at all, I'm just trying to clarify.

Regarding 3D you'r explanation is incoherent and controversial, as first you still state that: HDMI 2.0a and is not backwards compatible with HDMI 1.4. (which is a general delusion), and than entirely controversial you acknowledge that: however an HDMI 2.0a port will pass 3D MVC from dedicated video cards.     

I didn't pointed these out to debate or prove you wrong by any means, but your description is either imprecise or just based on false assumptions, therefore is false information and could cause misapprehension and doubtfulness (so did it in me for a moment). 

And don't take these as offense or banter, and thanks for the info regarding MadVR MVC Playback!
(2018-04-28, 08:49)Mount81 Wrote: So does Windows KODI support 4K video playback, or not?  I still think it does.
You seem pretty demanding?  Apparently, you're an expert and again, you're welcome to educate us.  I'm not a 'know it all' but I'll help get you started: 
Yes, KODI supports 4k video playback.  I've never stated anything different.  However, there is a big difference between the "4k" you keep referring to with the "UHD HDR" I mention.  Imo, 4k is short for 3840x2160p resolution as is UHD (Ultra High Definition).  The addition of HDR (High Dynamic Range) to a UHD aka 4k produced title is an entirely different matter.  In my experience, playing a simple 4k title using the internal KODI videoplayer is a breeze however, UHD HDR titles fail to render.  This is where your expertise is needed. 

Your statement was that it doesn't, and that's just false. 
As we standby waiting for you to reeducate us, I am confident any year old past statements will be updated to correctly reflect recent changes on your information and authority.  Until then, based on my experiences, nothing will change.

No mention regarding HDR (as I know well, that the official KODI fork still doesn't support it). There are also many 4K SDR materials available.
Yes, I'm aware as noted above.

On the other had: DS Player (based entirely on KODI) with MadVR also supports both 4K AND HDR flawlessly and also almost all possible audio and video formats available at the moment (with the same level PQ as with MPCHC+MadVR). I'm not braking the flag here, or propagate beside KODI at all, I'm just trying to clarify.

Well then you won't mind some further clarification:  This guide is for those that don't want to depend on an undependable forked version of KODI.  We just want to use the official version and not worry if a single individual will carry the torch or not.  The original developer of DSPlayer already abandoned it.  A new mod simply recompiles it as new versions of KODI are released.  Whether that will continue or not is undetermined since KODI v.18 will be more difficult to simply recompile then its predecessors in my understanding based on some things I've read.  In the mean time, DSPlayer is about 3000 commits behind at GitHub because it's no longer developed.  These will never be addressed meaning what ever bugs exist, will continue to exist even after recompiling to new KODI versions afaik. 

Personally, the limitations and bugs that have accumulated over the years are more than I'm willing to live with.  Others may not mind.  I'm not taking anything away from DSPlayer.  It's pretty decent for what it is.  It's just not for me.  Why?  For starters I use complete unaltered full rips of everything in a common iso container.  I refuse to butcher my rips to conform with limited players that simply can't handle important aspects to me.  Instead, I select players and methods to accept ANYTHING at their fullest extent.  I want full menus for EVERYTHING.  I use PowerDVD for 3D menus.  I use DVDFab Player for UHD HDR menus.  I use MPC players for quality.  I use the internal videoplayer for convenience.  In your extended knowledge, how exactly do you default and automate full menus using DSPlayer so I can abandon my current method?  How do you mount any and all iso's so menus render?  As I understand it, DSPlayer has a playercorefactory.xml bug that doesn't comply with external players default selection routing and must be manually selected.  I don't want to manually do anything.  I just want to press play on a title and have everything do its thing behind the scenes especially when someone unfamiliar with the intricacies just wants to watch a title and not need a computer science degree to enjoy themselves.  
[font]I could go on about other disappointments but it's pointless here.  That's what the 3000 commits at GitHub are for.  [/font]Your statement DSPlayer "ALMOST" supports all possible everything "flawlessly" is noted.  Unfortunately, "almost" and "flawlessly" don't fly for me. 

Regarding 3D you'r explanation is incoherent and controversial, as first you still state that: HDMI 2.0a and is not backwards compatible with HDMI 1.4. (which is a general delusion),

Again, when it comes to your NUC that doesn't work using afedchins build, which isn't going to come to the rescue, your NUC is not going to render 3D frame packed MVC and UHD HDR simultaneously from the same HDMI port.  You have to choose one or the other;  3D or HDR.  HDMI 2.0a on an NUC is not backwards compatible for 3D like a video card.  A dedicated AMD or NVidia video card does not present this problem.  They will indeed render 3D frame packed MVC and UHD HDR simultaneously from the same HDMI 2.0a port.  The chip tech and stacked die tech Intel uses in its approach is what it is.  When using the HDMI 1.4 port, UHD HDR cannot and will not render.  It is out of specification.  When using the HDMI 2.0a port to accommodate UHD HDR, 3D frame packed MVC will not render.  https://communities.intel.com/message/458978#458978 

and than entirely controversial you acknowledge that: however an HDMI 2.0a port will pass 3D MVC from dedicated video cards. 

I see nothing "controversial"?  Your NUC doesn't work.  A dedicated video card does.  So what is the controversy?

I didn't pointed these out to debate or prove you wrong by any means, but your description is either imprecise or just based on false assumptions, therefore is false information and could cause misapprehension and doubtfulness (so did it in me for a moment). 

[font]I don't think I could be more precise in this guide.  I think it's information overload personally but that is the price of precision.  I still don't see any of these false assumptions you insist I make.  If you provided a shred of false information, misapprehension, and doubtfulness I create, I would take note.  Until then, everything remains just as it is.  It really appears you demand a shelf bought experience and after our encounter in another thread, you were left unsatisfied with the responses because the truth hurts.  Since there isn't a shelved crappy little box you can just plug and play, you feel a need to discredit working solutions like this one and its author.  You go as far as "clarifying" how "almost" "flawless" DSPlayer is when insinuating this method is inferior, false informative, inapprehensive, and doubtful.  Genius.[/font]

And don't take these as offense or banter, and thanks for the info regarding MadVR MVC Playback!

Yes, it's obvious your intentions are good natured and from the bottom of your heart.  Thank you so much for all the valuable information you freely contribute making our experience easier, wiser, and generally perfect in every way. 

I still stand for every word I've wrote as they don't contain any false information. Contrary to your original statements, which still does. 

Your post-explanations on the original subjects are over complicated and unnecessarily tangled with many subjective aspects and irrelevant diversion. And they still just over convoluted post-explanations.  You seem to fals identify this matter as some kind of personal case with the conceited superior pride of the "unquestionable OP master" (with omnipotent knowledge, of course), which you seem to feel have been invaded here and that must be protected by all cost. And rather than simply acknowledge and step through lightly, you begin to deny and battle and blow up the case making the ant look like an elephant. 

On the end I distinctly reject any of your too personal degrading and satirizing predication regarding my self and my intents, based on vicious presumptions and fueled by unnecessary pique. So much the more they have nothing to do with the subject and just seem to fill in the gap in the place of relevant reasoning with cockiness and personal affronting wrapped in something that's intended to be some smarty-like irony. 

I won't waste any more word on this case.
I've updated to Windows 10 v.1803 and I've noticed no bad side effects.  Everything working well with all players and components so far.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software.../windows10

Are there some news to faulty external player handling in Kodi v18? The latest messages i get are "External Player active"  "press ok when playback is finished"!? But the movie never start playing.
HTPC: Windows 10 Pro 22H2, Zalman HD135, Intel i3-7100, GTX 1070, UHD ASUS BW-16D1HT
NAS: Xpenology 7.2 Update 1, Intel i5-6600
I tried v.18 two days ago but not with the new Windows update.  There was no change from the previous months of testing.  I doubt the Windows update will change anything.  I'll test again in the coming weeks unless someone else reports positive results sooner.

Is it possible in MPC-BE (launched from Kodi), if the source file is of Full TAB format, to decode only one image from the two located on the same big image?
This way it could be possible to upscale only that part of the 3D file using madVR's excellent algorithms for my 4K TV as if it was a frame-packed format.
Kodi can play it as 2D now of course, but this way I would miss madVR's capabilities.

Any answer would be appreciated.
(2018-05-01, 19:27)brazen1 Wrote: I've updated to Windows 10 v.1803 and I've noticed no bad side effects.  Everything working well with all players and components so far.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software.../windows10
 Let me start off by saying many thanks to you for guiding us in our journey to entertainment at highest quality. 
I am a Windows 8.1 user, NVidia 1060, with Sandybridge i2500k cpu. My default resolution is 2160p. I use Kodi DS Player for UHD, and PDVD 15 external player for 3D. Works great, except I wanted to use menus for UHD as well as Netfilx HDR. For that reason, I tried Windows 10 with 1803. Started using DVDFab player v5.0.1.11. Now with my unchanged hardware configuration, I can get 3D, UHD with Menus and Netflix HDR. Unfortunately, the DVDFab player (as well as Netfilx) does not auto switch HDR to on, (and my hardware does not support PDVD 17 or 18). I have to turn the slider on manually first. It is fine if I am watching, but not user friendly. So my question is:

Have you been able to figure out a script or a batch file that toggles HDR on and off in Windows 10? Then with your batch files, I can accomplish full auto-switch. BTW, DVDFab v5 now supports 3D, but needs resolution switched to 1080p first before launching itself (again auto-switch is not supported yet).

Thanks again.
I have no reason to toggle Windows HDR/WCG on/off using W10 nor the need for scripts to accomplish that?  Be aware, none of these external players are using Windows HDR.  They are using the video card private API's.  You will notice it is never engaged during playback.  Also, I know of no script or any other method that will automate Windows HDR mode.  There are some differences how you are going about your setup.  I would help you but the differences might be too far apart as well as unapplicable. 

We each use 2160p and W10 v.1803.
I use a GTX 960 4GB and you a 1060 but the driver is shared.
You use DSPlayer.  I use the official KODI.  I don't think DSPlayer can call more than one external player but I could be wrong.  I use 3 external players and the 1 KODI internal VideoPlayer.

I too demand menus for UHD.  Our choices are PowerDVD which requires special hardware which I don't have nor you, or DVDFab Player which requires no special hardware.  I use DVDFab Player v.3.  HDR mode switches on/off automatically 1st time, every time.  I have no experience with v.5.  Perhaps if you are using the trial version, this auto switch is not performing?  I assume since it works perfectly in v.3, it would carry over to v.5?  In the event you have the full v.5 and it doesn't auto switch, I would ask them why because it should.

I too demand menus for 3D.  To accomplish that, I use PowerDVD v.18 since  DVDFab Player v.3 does not support 3D.  Now that you have confirmed DVDFab Player v.5 does support 3D, perhaps it could eliminate PowerDVD for me provided the quality is similar and it will auto match refresh rates negating any manual intervention with resolution settings prior, during, after launching or post.  I know PowerDVD doesn't.

I have no desire for Netflix and have limited experience.  That HDR auto switching I can't comment.  I only have the basic version launched from my panels app and I never use it.  I also don't use MS Edge which I think is a requirement when launching from Windows.

So, understanding W10 HDR/WCG switch is not part of the equation, a script will not help you.  What you need to do is figure out why your HDR mode is not engaged from DVDFab Player v.5:
I am presently using the latest nvidia driver offered.  It switches HDR with no problems.  Most no switch to HDR with nvidia was limited to early drivers from last year.  Late drivers have always worked without fail.  So, test and determine if HDR switches proper using Windows Explorer.  Bypass your DSPlayer and your scripts to take them out of the equation.  Right click your HDR file and select 'open with' and try FAB.  FAB needs little to config but there are settings for HDR and 3D you should be familiar with.  Make sure its settings are proper.  It should open and switch.  If not, consult FAB user forum or email support.  You can also install v.3 since I can confirm it works just to confirm on your system and rule out FAB as the culprit.  Lastly, try MPC-HC/BE with madVR and LAV Filters.  This too switches HDR first time, every time but requires more precise settings than FAB.  Above all, leave the W10 HDR/WCG switch OFF at all times.  Once you can confirm your auto HDR switch working from Explorer, the rest is a process of elimination which will determine compatibility, limitations, bugs, or adjustments, mainly DSPlayer or your scripts.  Let us know your results. 

Thank you for the DVDFab Player v.5 3D capability report.  I'm really hoping an error on your part is preventing it from rendering 3D if the display isn't manually switched to 1080p prior.  Are you sure there isn't a 'match refresh rate' setting or something similar?  V.3 has a 'always match to original video size' setting which I assume would auto switch resolution to 1080p when starting a 3D title negating manual intervention in the NCP.

(2018-05-13, 22:13)brazen1 Wrote: I have no reason to toggle Windows HDR/WCG on/off using W10 nor the need for scripts to accomplish that?  Be aware, none of these external players are using Windows HDR.  They are using the video card private API's.  You will notice it is never engaged during playback.  Also, I know of no script or any other method that will automate Windows HDR mode.  There are some differences how you are going about your setup.  I would help you but the differences might be too far apart as well as unapplicable. 

We each use 2160p and W10 v.1803.
I use a GTX 960 4GB and you a 1060 but the driver is shared.
You use DSPlayer.  I use the official KODI.  I don't think DSPlayer can call more than one external player but I could be wrong.  I use 3 external players and the 1 KODI internal VideoPlayer.

I too demand menus for UHD.  Our choices are PowerDVD which requires special hardware which I don't have nor you, or DVDFab Player which requires no special hardware.  I use DVDFab Player v.3.  HDR mode switches on/off automatically 1st time, every time.  I have no experience with v.5.  Perhaps if you are using the trial version, this auto switch is not performing?  I assume since it works perfectly in v.3, it would carry over to v.5?  In the event you have the full v.5 and it doesn't auto switch, I would ask them why because it should.

I too demand menus for 3D.  To accomplish that, I use PowerDVD v.18 since  DVDFab Player v.3 does not support 3D.  Now that you have confirmed DVDFab Player v.5 does support 3D, perhaps it could eliminate PowerDVD for me provided the quality is similar and it will auto match refresh rates negating any manual intervention with resolution settings prior, during, after launching or post.  I know PowerDVD doesn't.

I have no desire for Netflix and have limited experience.  That HDR auto switching I can't comment.  I only have the basic version launched from my panels app and I never use it.  I also don't use MS Edge which I think is a requirement when launching from Windows.

So, understanding W10 HDR/WCG switch is not part of the equation, a script will not help you.  What you need to do is figure out why your HDR mode is not engaged from DVDFab Player v.5:
I am presently using the latest nvidia driver offered.  It switches HDR with no problems.  Most no switch to HDR with nvidia was limited to early drivers from last year.  Late drivers have always worked without fail.  So, test and determine if HDR switches proper using Windows Explorer.  Bypass your DSPlayer and your scripts to take them out of the equation.  Right click your HDR file and select 'open with' and try FAB.  FAB needs little to config but there are settings for HDR and 3D you should be familiar with.  Make sure its settings are proper.  It should open and switch.  If not, consult FAB user forum or email support.  You can also install v.3 since I can confirm it works just to confirm on your system and rule out FAB as the culprit.  Lastly, try MPC-HC/BE with madVR and LAV Filters.  This too switches HDR first time, every time but requires more precise settings than FAB.  Above all, leave the W10 HDR/WCG switch OFF at all times.  Once you can confirm your auto HDR switch working from Explorer, the rest is a process of elimination which will determine compatibility, limitations, bugs, or adjustments, mainly DSPlayer or your scripts.  Let us know your results. 

Thank you for the DVDFab Player v.5 3D capability report.  I'm really hoping an error on your part is preventing it from rendering 3D if the display isn't manually switched to 1080p prior.  Are you sure there isn't a 'match refresh rate' setting or something similar?  V.3 has a 'always match to original video size' setting which I assume would auto switch resolution to 1080p when starting a 3D title negating manual intervention in the NCP.
Hello brazen1,

Which version of nVidia drivers are you currently using? Do the settings keep across reboots? Also, are you using "default settings" in the nVidia Control Panel or do you have "8 bit, full" set? Thanks for your continued support.

Regards,

Bart
Currently I'm using 397.64.  I don't know if settings survive a reboot?  I know they didn't as of a couple driver versions ago.  It was for retaining the 12bit setting that reverted to 8bit.  I'm using 8bit now to avoid banding since nVidia has no 10bit setting and my display, most displays, truly only handle 10bit but our choices are only 8bit or 12bit so, until they give us a 10bit RGB setting, I'll be using 8bit.  If your display handles 12bit, by all means use it but you'll need an older driver to retain it.  In the mean time, this is why I don't care if 12bit doesn't survive a reboot and defaults to 8bit.  I am having an AAC audio problem with this driver and a bunch previous.  I had it in the past and by some miracle fixed it.  For the life of me, those same fixes won't work again.  I will probably end up going back to 385.28.  I 'Use nvidia Color Settings' RGB FULL 8bit.

• 38(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
HOW TO - Kodi 2D - 3D - UHD (4k) HDR Guide Internal & External Players ISO Menus39