• 46(current)
Win HOW TO - Kodi 2D - 3D - UHD (4k) HDR Guide Internal & External Players ISO Menus
(2018-07-21, 18:49)bsoriano Wrote:
(2018-07-21, 16:13)brazen1 Wrote: After setting RGB Full 12bit at 23/24Hz, change to 60Hz and the bit depth field will be blank.  It is dithering down to 8bit at 60Hz.  That's because Windows is only compliant at 8bit when anything higher than 30Hz.  23/24Hz you can use 12bit because it's under 30Hz but as stated, this introduces lag and makes everything sluggish.  Unfortunately, we have to select 12bit and let it dither down to 10bit.  nVidia doesn't offer a 10bit setting using RGB Full.  Maybe one day they will correct that in a driver update.  So, when using Windows Desktop or in KODI, your NCP should show 60Hz with a blank bit depth setting (it's at 8bit).  When you start a video, it should match refresh rate (commonly 24Hz) and output 8bit or 10bit depending if it's SDR or HDR.  NCP will show 12bit but later in the processing this will dither down accordingly.  You'll have to window what ever player you're using to check in NCP.  With an MPC player, you can bring up the madVR OSD by pressing Ctrl+J and see what is being output as well.  I use 385.28 and these settings survive a reboot.  Newer drivers probably won't.  I wouldn't get too hung up on bit depth.  You could be doing more harm than good by introducing banding and everything at 8bit would be fine with little to unnoticeable difference vs 10/12bit.  Your main concern should be RGB Full and auto frame rate matching always returning to a 60Hz Desktop or GUI.
Thanks!

I left it at RGB Full 8 bits 60Hz for the desktop, and confirmed with madVR windowed and a video paused that is changes to RGB Full 12 bits 23 Hz, so I think I am OK.

I also recently started testing Kodi Leia nightly, and the image quality for 4K with the internal player is surprisingly good.  When a 4K HDR title plays my Sony TV does not go black and do the mode change/refresh rate change, so I don't think I am getting 10 bit HDR output from Kodi, but I don't know of a way to test it.

One issue I have found, at least in my setup, is that I have to turn off DXVA2 hardware acceleration in Kodi playback settings.  If I leave it on, not title, no matter the resolution, will play correctly, showing these thick green bands all over the video image.  I don't know if this is just a Leia issue with nVidia, or if there is something else going on with my setup.  If I turn it off, all titles play.

Any ideas as to what might be going on there? I am also using two new settings in the advancedsettings.xml file, try10bitoutput, and allowdiscretedecoder.

Regards,

Bart 
 KODI v.18 HDR does not use private API's.  So, it relies on CPU and Windows HDR to decode HDR and the GPU does not come into play afaik.  With DXVA ON, the GPU is doing the work.  Of course KODI HDR isn't designed to let it do the decoding.  OFF, the CPU is.  KODI is not going to decode HDR with DXVA ON.  It can't passthrough like it could with private API's.  You may get a picture, but it isn't in HDR mode when using DXVA.  I haven't used v.18 HDR so I'm only thinking logically.  If anyone has different results, please share.
HOW TO - Kodi 2D - 3D - UHD (4k) HDR Guide Internal & External Players iso menus
DIY HOME THEATER WIND EFFECT

W11 Pro 24H2 MPC-BE\HC madVR KODI 22 GTX960-4GB/RGB 4:4:4/Desktop 60Hz 8bit Video Matched Refresh rates 23,24,50,60Hz 8/10/12bit/Samsung 82" Q90R Denon S720W
I don't see the logic in setting the output to RGB Full for HDR10 content. PQ transfer is absolute, by expanding the scale from 64-940 to 0-1024, you are likely to end up with "muddied" highlights due to the intrinsic tonemapping on your display.
Whatever you may have referred as "dither" or "dithering" have confused me much anyways. Dithering. -> So -technically- my suspicion would have been right, if you've meant and used the word fitting to it's meaning. So yes, all sort of "dithering" -in this case- would mean of something non "native" and altered picture for the sake of "better than worst" quality (which "worst" in this case would be 10bit simply regulated to 8bit) and the native "non dithered" solution is simply the unconverted 10bit output. Even the 10bit to 12bit up-conversion is far better -and rather seamless- than the 10 to 8bit down-conversion.  I couldn't think of anything else, that you meant the dithering rather to the colorspace conversion... Or what exactly?

Still, if you aren't -somehow- forced to react that head bitingly conflicting to any opinion towards your understandings, than would you be just that kind to rather choose a nicer way for your clarifications?  Sorry that I didn't know that RGB is limited to max 8bit on PC in the case of 444 (>30Hz), my trigger point was that 10bit it is always possible on all kind of Hz (from 0 to 60) with some YCbCr colorspace setting. For example on 23.976Hz (and for anything less than 50Hz) you can even have 444 / 10 bit on 4K, which is the very best option in the case of dedicated media players (the one-step RGB conversion is just left for the TV in this case).

Tho' it's effect in general still isn't denied by me, but I would be still highly surprised if you could prove somehow that colorspace settings have bigger effect on the overall picture and color transition quality than the 10bit vs 8bit difference has.  I.e. let's take a native 420 10bit video, made to converted on output (on whatever Hz) to 444 8bit and 420 10bit by the PC player. In which case do you think you will you have better overall picture quality?
Also people you can use this website to automatic translate SRT subtitles files and edit that files : www.translatesubtitles.com
This site is free!
Quote:Just a quick update - you were spot on about DVDFab's version changes. I tried a few different v5 builds and none of them would activate HDR. Switched back down to v3 and HDR comes on flawlessly. So v3 it will have to be

After playing around with a few settings, I can confirm that HDR is working for me in the latest version 5 software. It actually plays smoother for me than with Powerdvd 18, where I get an occasional stutter. Still am unable to make it work with Kodi however as an external player (at least with Leia)

Mark
(2018-07-23, 22:20)acemt Wrote:
Quote:Just a quick update - you were spot on about DVDFab's version changes. I tried a few different v5 builds and none of them would activate HDR. Switched back down to v3 and HDR comes on flawlessly. So v3 it will have to be

After playing around with a few settings, I can confirm that HDR is working for me in the latest version 5 software. It actually plays smoother for me than with Powerdvd 18, where I get an occasional stutter. Still am unable to make it work with Kodi however as an external player (at least with Leia)

Mark 

I'm confused.

I could not get HDR to switch on by itself using DVDFab v5. Which is what others reported. With v3, it switched on automatically. I'm curious what you mean by "I can confirm that HDR is working for me in the latest version 5 software" ? Do you mean you play a UHD HDR title in DVDFab v5 and your set switched to HDR automatically without you having to do anything? That is contrary to what I experienced and what others said. Can you please explain?

I also wanted to confirmed, as someone else had said something a page back - Kodi Leia Nightly *does not* play UHD HDR titles in it's internal player, correct? 

Thanks.
Lici5r,

Yes. It is switching automatically. Not sure why it's not working for others, but I played a 4k .mkv's, several of them, and went into the tv settings tab to verify that the HDR icon was displaying. I was sure it was as the picture is fantastic. Yes it was there, just as it was when I played it with Powerdvd 18.

Not sure about Kodi playing UHD HDR. I havn't tried it. I just know that I can't get DvdFab 5 to launch as an external player. under Leia. I can however get Powerdvd 18 to launch.

Mark
(2018-07-24, 00:02)acemt Wrote: Lici5r,

Yes. It is switching automatically. Not sure why it's not working for others, but I played a 4k .mkv's, several of them, and went into the tv settings tab to verify that the HDR icon was displaying. I was sure it was as the picture is fantastic. Yes it was there, just as it was when I played it with Powerdvd 18.

Not sure about Kodi playing UHD HDR. I havn't tried it. I just know that I can't get DvdFab 5 to launch as an external player. under Leia. I can however get Powerdvd 18 to launch.

Mark
 Mark,

Can you go into your Display Settings in your Windows Desktop and verify if "HDR" is switched to On or Off?

If it is switched to Off, can you also verify exactly which Build of Version 5 are you using?

As for external player, yes that's very, very bizzare & beyond my comprehension. All that PCF/Kodi does is launch an EXE file in Windows. It shouldn't matter what EXE file. Heck, you could launch notepad.exe using Kodi if you define it as an external player. I don't understand why DVDFab v3 will launch, just as PowerDVD 18, but DVDFab v5 refused to launch!!

Thanks.
I bought the HT2550 projector. It has 3D with DLP link, but I can't make it work with 3D! I tried following this guide and another one, but no luck. It looks like projector doesn't recognize that it gets 3D signal. I also tried Kodi DSplayer with madVR (3D enabled there), but when I play 3D MKV and switch on 3D - nothing happens, I see two images side by side or over-under in the projector menu info it says "1080p 24Hz" and "3D Format - Off". And when I manually enable 3D in projector menu (required, as it doesn't auto-switch 3D, it's known) - nothing happens, and "3D Mode" only has "Auto" (default), "Frame sequential" (greyed out) and "Off". I tried with Android box (Beelink GS1 with Kodi) with same result. I have DLP link glasses on, but I think even without glasses I should see projector recognize 3d signal and when 3D is turned on I should see fuzzy doubling 3D look without glasses, not the left and right or top and bottom images.  =11ptWhat am I doing wrong? How can I make projector receive and recognize 3D signal? =11ptI have Nvidia 570 series GPU (waiting for GTX 1050 for 4K to arrive), but 3D should work on that. I'm on Windows 10. I can select "enable 3D" in windows display settings, but no effect on projector. I tried disabling other monitors (I have another on the same GPU and 3rd on another GPU). No effect. I tried MKV videos with half and full resolution HSBS (side by side) and OU (over under). I can't go through the 3D Wizard because I don't have any hardware it needs to proceed, however "enable 3D" option is there in windows display settings, but doesn't help. =11ptPlease advise. =11ptThank you.
I downloaded Kodi to my X-box 1. I put a build on it and it was working beautifully. This morning my wife tried to open the App. (Kodi) and it kept kicking her off.  So, I deleted the app., and reinstalled it to the X-box 1. Now I still can't one my app.Huh? Any help would be appreciated! ☺☺
@PatsfanMS

Which Build did you install?
My Signature
Links to : Official:Forum rules (wiki) | Official:Forum rules/Banned add-ons (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)
Links to : HOW-TO:Create Music Library (wiki) | HOW-TO:Create_Video_Library (wiki)  ||  Artwork (wiki) | Basic controls (wiki) | Import-export library (wiki) | Movie sets (wiki) | Movie universe (wiki) | NFO files (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
(2018-07-24, 01:54)romandesign Wrote: I bought the HT2550 projector. It has 3D with DLP link, but I can't make it work with 3D! I tried following this guide and another one, but no luck. It looks like projector doesn't recognize that it gets 3D signal. I also tried Kodi DSplayer with madVR (3D enabled there), but when I play 3D MKV and switch on 3D - nothing happens, I see two images side by side or over-under in the projector menu info it says "1080p 24Hz" and "3D Format - Off". And when I manually enable 3D in projector menu (required, as it doesn't auto-switch 3D, it's known) - nothing happens, and "3D Mode" only has "Auto" (default), "Frame sequential" (greyed out) and "Off". I tried with Android box (Beelink GS1 with Kodi) with same result. I have DLP link glasses on, but I think even without glasses I should see projector recognize 3d signal and when 3D is turned on I should see fuzzy doubling 3D look without glasses, not the left and right or top and bottom images.  =11ptWhat am I doing wrong? How can I make projector receive and recognize 3D signal? =11ptI have Nvidia 570 series GPU (waiting for GTX 1050 for 4K to arrive), but 3D should work on that. I'm on Windows 10. I can select "enable 3D" in windows display settings, but no effect on projector. I tried disabling other monitors (I have another on the same GPU and 3rd on another GPU). No effect. I tried MKV videos with half and full resolution HSBS (side by side) and OU (over under). I can't go through the 3D Wizard because I don't have any hardware it needs to proceed, however "enable 3D" option is there in windows display settings, but doesn't help. =11ptPlease advise. =11ptThank you.
 Run 'enable nvidia 3d.reg' in your madVR folder.
HOW TO - Kodi 2D - 3D - UHD (4k) HDR Guide Internal & External Players iso menus

W11 Pro 24H2 MPC-BE\HC madVR KODI 22 GTX960-4GB/RGB 4:4:4/Desktop 60Hz 8bit Video Matched Refresh rates 23,24,50,60Hz 8/10/12bit/Samsung 82" Q90R Denon S720W
(2018-07-23, 22:20)acemt Wrote:

Mark  
 We understand many players and methods will play UHD HDR titles without actually engaging HDR mode.  Given PDVD v.18 and FAB v.5 are both performing UHD HDR for you and switching HDR mode on, evidently you meet the minimum requirements (at least for PDVD or it wouldn't be working).  Perhaps this is the key to get FAB v.5 working?  Please share which Intel SGX CPU, SGX motherboard, and Intel HD Graphics you are using.  Thanks.

Quote:We understand many players and methods will play UHD HDR titles without actually engaging HDR mode.  Given PDVD v.18 and FAB v.5 are both performing UHD HDR for you and switching HDR mode on, evidently you meet the minimum requirements (at least for PDVD or it wouldn't be working).  Perhaps this is the key to get FAB v.5 working?  Please share which Intel SGX CPU, SGX motherboard, and Intel HD Graphics you are using.  Thanks.
Running Sky-lake i5-3600 chip with Nvidia 960. Gigabyte ga-z170x motherboard.
Quote:Can you go into your Display Settings in your Windows Desktop and verify if "HDR" is switched to On or Off?
If you are talking about the "stream HDR" switch. It is "ON" why would you have this off? doesn't seem to have any effect on quality to leave this on all the time. Not sure about your question. Maybe I have had too many scotch's tonight :-)
  • 46(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
HOW TO - Kodi 2D - 3D - UHD (4k) HDR Guide Internal & External Players ISO Menus39