• 51(current)
Win HOW TO - Kodi 2D - 3D - UHD (4k) HDR Guide Internal & External Players ISO Menus
(2018-08-15, 17:51)brazen1 Wrote: Been running it through its paces for a while and am no where close to done:

The main problem with the PCF honoring rules for defaulting to the correct player is fixed.  YiPpY!  So is player selection via the 'Play using' menu.  YeEhAw!  Alt + F4 command to the focused external player quits and returns to KODI in focus with resolution and frame rate correctly applied just as it did using 17.6.  All is perfect including engaging/disengaging HDR etc.

However, there is a new problem and if memory serves me correct, it too was always present in my past tests with v.18 so it's not exactly new or caused by your fix imo.  Again, going by distant memory.

When I play 3D with any player, the correct player opens, the resolution switches from 2160 to 1080 correctly and 3D frame packed mode engages.  The 3D playback is all perfect as it was in 17.6.  Quitting the player is where the problem begins.  The external player closes and 3D disengages on the panel but the return to focused KODI results in it no longer in fullscreen.  It appears windowed in the top left corner and the image of the GUI is not complete (mostly just a black box although some images are present when scrolling the distorted tiny GUI).  Alt + F4 kills KODI and the Windows desktop returns to the correct resolution and frame rate.

I windowed KODI instead of the required fullscreen for external players and the results were the same.  Fullscreening the windowed KODI in the top left corner after the error resulted in a fullscreened black window with a tiny KODI still in the top left corner.

Not sure a debug log would do any good and no idea what else I can supply should you or another decide to try and tackle it?  It would require 3D capability and understand most no longer have it.  Uhg...
Nice to hear that aosp for you the fix is working.

Regarding the resolution issue, I also had this when using MPC and kodi. The issue was that I had to set the desktop and kodi resolution to 4k (2160p) and disable kodis resolution switching.

Since then, the issue disappeared.

pOpY
My Desktop and Kodi resolution have always been set to 2160p and had no problems at all until now trying v.18 nightly.  How do you "disable KODI resolution switching"?  Problem happens with all players, not just MPC.  Remember, problem does not happen with 2D that is always 2160p, only 3D that must switch to 1080p and then return to 2160p when finished.  Sequence is:  Desktop and KODI fullscreen at native 2160p.  Start 3D.  Player opens.  Resolution changes to 1080p 3D.  Panel 3D frame packed mode engages.  Playback begins and all is well.  Alt + F4 player.  Panel 3D frame packed mode releases.  Resolution changes to 2160p.  KODI is no longer in fullscreen.  It is about 1/50th the size of my display screen deposited in top left corner inside a larger black box that is about 1/20th the size of my entire display screen.

This occurs using KODI fullscreened or windowed in its settings.  Makes no difference.  Do you have 3D frame packed with nVidia to test on your system?
Fwiw, this problem only occurs with frame packed 3D that requires 1080p 3D GPU driver resolution switch.  When using SBS or TAB mkv, resolution remains at 2160p and the problem does not occur.  Problem is KODI fails to coexist with a resolution change from 1080p to 2160p but is fine with just the opposite - 2160p to 1080p.
HOW TO - Kodi 2D - 3D - UHD (4k) HDR Guide Internal & External Players iso menus
DIY HOME THEATER WIND EFFECT

W11 Pro 24H2 MPC-BE\HC madVR KODI 22 GTX960-4GB/RGB 4:4:4/Desktop 60Hz 8bit Video Matched Refresh rates 23,24,50,60Hz 8/10/12bit/Samsung 82" Q90R Denon S720W
@popy , @Warner306 , @brazen1 & @bsoriano :

After many days of being crushed under critical work load and travel, I finally had a chance to sit down & test out some of the new configurations, versions & revelations which came to take place in this thread the last few pages. 

Installed Kodi v18 nightly with pOpY's fix.
Installed & configured LAV Filters, MadVR & MPC-BE per Warner306's new insight on GT 1030 compatibility.
Updated PowerDVD 18 to latest build and using brazen1's playercorefactory.xml, PDVD.bat & MPCBE.bat with minor personal adjustments.

Kodi's respect for PCF for external player switching ......... FLAWLESS!!! All props to @popy for the fix. PCF working just like Kodi v17.6. I'm able to seamlessly switch from player to player, both via rules defined in PCF and via the "Play using" menu. 

Playback of UHD HDR MKVs in MPC-BE ......... FLAWLESS!!! All props to @Warner306 for recommending the correct configuration for GT 1030. HDR switching is automatic & accurate. PQ is at par with PDVD, DVDFab, et al, motion is smooth, and able to use forward, backward controls without issues. Biggest of all, I couldn't get my remote control to work with DVDFab, however, with MPC-BE it works out of the box just like Kodi or PDVD. I have in fact completely removed DVDFab at this point, since I only had one full UHD ISO and I encoded it to MKV. 

I typically use STOP in external player (not Kodi), then Close (Alt-F4) the player. This worked flawlessly. No issues. Returned to Kodi as normal and continued operation as normal.

Able to hop from Kodi internal player to PDVD to MPC-BE and back in any order flawlessly. UHD HDR playback & switching is at its best. Everything works just as it should.

I do have 3D but that's on a different, non-4K setup so I cannot accurately reproduce the issue brazen1 is witnessing.

I'll be testing a little more and post back results. 

Just wanted to thank everyone for sorting out all these issues and great recommendations.

Thanks!!
(2018-08-15, 21:27)brazen1 Wrote: My Desktop and Kodi resolution have always been set to 2160p and had no problems at all until now trying v.18 nightly.  How do you "disable KODI resolution switching"?  Problem happens with all players, not just MPC.  Remember, problem does not happen with 2D that is always 2160p, only 3D that must switch to 1080p and then return to 2160p when finished.  Sequence is:  Desktop and KODI fullscreen at native 2160p.  Start 3D.  Player opens.  Resolution changes to 1080p 3D.  Panel 3D frame packed mode engages.  Playback begins and all is well.  Alt + F4 player.  Panel 3D frame packed mode releases.  Resolution changes to 2160p.  KODI is no longer in fullscreen.  It is about 1/50th the size of my display screen deposited in top left corner inside a larger black box that is about 1/20th the size of my entire display screen.

This occurs using KODI fullscreened or windowed in its settings.  Makes no difference.  Do you have 3D frame packed with nVidia to test on your system?
Fwiw, this problem only occurs with frame packed 3D that requires 1080p 3D GPU driver resolution switch.  When using SBS or TAB mkv, resolution remains at 2160p and the problem does not occur.  Problem is KODI fails to coexist with a resolution change from 1080p to 2160p but is fine with just the opposite - 2160p to 1080p.
ok, i see. 3D is swithcing to 1080p, so thatsthe problem.
Seems there is an bug in kodi so that it cant handle switching to other resolutions.

Can you please make an debug log and create an trac ticket?
Dont have any 3D content nor an 3D TV.

pOpY
(2018-08-16, 01:44)luci5r Wrote: @popy , @Warner306 , @brazen1 & @bsoriano :

After many days of being crushed under critical work load and travel, I finally had a chance to sit down & test out some of the new configurations, versions & revelations which came to take place in this thread the last few pages. 

Installed & configured LAV Filters, MadVR & MPC-BE per Warner306's new insight on GT 1030 compatibility.
Updated PowerDVD 18 to latest build and using brazen1's playercorefactory.xml, PDVD.bat & MPCBE.bat with minor personal adjustments.

Kodi's respect for PCF for external player switching ......... FLAWLESS!!! All props to @popy for the fix. PCF working just like Kodi v17.6. I'm able to seamlessly switch from player to player, both via rules defined in PCF and via the "Play using" menu. 

Playback of UHD HDR MKVs in MPC-BE ......... FLAWLESS!!! All props to @Warner306 for recommending the correct configuration for GT 1030. HDR switching is automatic & accurate. PQ is at par with PDVD, DVDFab, et al, motion is smooth, and able to use forward, backward controls without issues. Biggest of all, I couldn't get my remote control to work with DVDFab, however, with MPC-BE it works out of the box just like Kodi or PDVD. I have in fact completely removed DVDFab at this point, since I only had one full UHD ISO and I encoded it to MKV. 

I typically use STOP in external player (not Kodi), then Close (Alt-F4) the player. This worked flawlessly. No issues. Returned to Kodi as normal and continued operation as normal.

Able to hop from Kodi internal player to PDVD to MPC-BE and back in any order flawlessly. UHD HDR playback & switching is at its best. Everything works just as it should.

I do have 3D but that's on a different, non-4K setup so I cannot accurately reproduce the issue brazen1 is witnessing.

Just wanted to thank everyone for sorting out all these issues and great recommendations.

Thanks!!
Nice, to hear that now you can use external player for UHD playback.

In my case i have an issue which comes up rarely in MPC-HC when playing 4K.
Picture is just black and audio is playing.
After starting the video again it works.
Also i played the UHD samples yesterday which was working perfectly fine a few days ago and now they are stuttering as hell!?!
Other 4K content is working.
Do you also have this issue with the 1030?

Can you please post me your complete setup:

• Used Software incl. versions (MPC (HC or BE), LAV Filter, madvr, ...)
  • Settings of madvr (queues), please screenshots of all relevant settings
  • NVidia Driver Version 
  • PlayerCoreFactory.xml
Thanks a lot
pOpY
(2018-08-16, 12:51)popy Wrote:

Thanks!!

Also i played the UHD samples yesterday which was working perfectly fine a few days ago and now they are stuttering as hell!?!
Do you also have this issue with the 1030?Can you please post me your complete setup:
  • NVidia Driver Version 
  • PlayerCoreFactory.xml
Thanks a lot
pOpY   
 @popy :

I haven't used any UHD samples as such, I've only tested playing back full UHD HDR movies in MKV container from my UHD rips. I have not experienced a single jitter or stutter or playback issue. Everything I've thrown at it has been playing smooth & flawlessly. Some of the titles I've played:

Oblivion
Ghost in the shell
Atomic Blonde
Avengers: Infinity War

I do notice that you are using MPC-HC whereas I'm using MPC-BE. I'm not sure if that makes any difference. 

Here's the remaining info you requested:
    • Windows 10 Pro 1803
    • MPC-BE x64 v1.5.2 (build 3788) beta
    • LAV Filters 0.72.0
    • MadVR 0.92.14
    • Kodi 20180814-fc9faf32-master-x64

• LAV Video Configuration:

• MadVR Settings -- Following are the *ONLY* settings I changed in a fresh/default installation of MadVR. None of the other settings were touched at all. I left everything else as it is:

• NVidia Driver Version 
    • Version 398.82

• PlayerCoreFactory.xml
    • PCF:
      xml:
      <playercorefactory>
       <players>
          <player name="Blu-Ray" type="ExternalPlayer" audio="false" video="true">
            <filename>C:\Users\b3lial\AppData\Roaming\Kodi\userdata\PDVD.bat</filename>
            <playcountminimumtime>1140</playcountminimumtime>
          </player>
          <player name="4K-HDR" type="ExternalPlayer" audio="false" video="true">
            <filename>C:\Users\b3lial\AppData\Roaming\Kodi\userdata\MPCBE.bat</filename>
          </player>
       </players>
       <rules action="prepend">
          <rule filename=".*4K.*" player="4K-HDR"/>
          <rule filetypes="iso|bdmv|mpls|m2ts" player="Blu-Ray"/>
       </rules>
      </playercorefactory>

• MPCBE.bat:
      python:
      Set file=%1
      Set dummy=%file:iso=%
      IF NOT %dummy% == %file% (GOTO playiso) ELSE (goto playbdmv)

:playbdmv
      set pth=%1
      set pth=%pth:BDMV\MovieObject.bdmv=%
      set pth=%pth:BDMV\index.bdmv=%
      "C:\Program Files\MPC-BE x64\mpc-be64.exe" %pth% exit
      exit

:playiso
      "C:\Program Files (x86)\NVIDIA Corporation\3D Vision\nvstlink.exe" /enable
      "C:\Program Files (x86)\Elaborate Bytes\VirtualCloneDrive\VCDMount.exe" /d=0 %1
      "C:\Program Files\MPC-BE x64\mpc-be64.exe" D:
      "C:\Program Files (x86)\Elaborate Bytes\VirtualCloneDrive\VCDMount.exe" /d=0 /u
      exit

• PDVD.bat:
      python:
      Set file=%1

set pth=%1
      "C:\Program Files (x86)\CyberLink\PowerDVD18\PowerDVD.exe" %pth% exit
      exit

"C:\Program Files (x86)\CyberLink\PowerDVD18\PowerDVD.exe" D:
      exit
Edit:

Also adding hardware specs.

Intel Core i5-2500K CPU @ 3.30 GHZ (3.60 Ghz Turbo)
8 GB (2 x 4GB) Dual Channel DDR 4 RAM
Nvidia GT 1030 (GP108-300-A1)

Samsung UN65MU700 UHD HDR display.

I should also add:

This is a Secondary (Client) HTPC. There is no media stored on this HTPC, on its drives. Everything played back on this HTPC is "Streamed" from my main HTPC which is in the Home Theatre, a couple rooms down. The streaming is achieved via the MediaBridge feature of 2 NetGear Nighthawk R7000 (AC1900) Routers using the 'AC' band. 

Thanks!!
@brazen1 :

This is entirely your call, but I had a thought. When GT 1030 first came out, it was touted to be one of the best graphics card choices for an HTPC-only setup, including UHD HDR playback, and a lot of people bought into it. Not everyone was either inclined to use MadVR or didn't realize at the time that they couldn't. Ultimately though, a lot of us started to experience the shortcomings, either with hardware requirements not matching up, or most importantly with MadVR. 

However, the suggestions by @Warner306 coming out of another thread here and one at Doom9 has changed that scenario a tad. Although GT 1030 still cannot avail the real features & benefits of MadVR, we can now at least enjoy the MadVR/MPC-BE combination, same as any other software like PDVD or DVDFab (excluding ISO menus), and is actually a great solution & combination. 

I think it might do some good for the GT 1030 community who may be stumbling upon this thread but not fully aware of the ongoings in these last two pages to be made aware of them. 

To do so, perhaps you could add a link exclusively aimed at the GT 1030 community in your Post #1 or Post #205. You could mention something along the lines of "For GT 1030 or similar, lower end cards, please see:" ... and you could potentially link to my post just above this one (#756) with screenshots to settings required for UHD HDR flawless playback with GT 1030 using MPC-BE/MadVR.

Either way you see fit, it may be of some value to insert this somewhere in your extremely useful & informative guides. 

Thanks!
Try BT.709 instead of DCI-P3 and let me know if colors are expanded for SDR.  It's what I've been using.  Link to your settings added to post #205.
HOW TO - Kodi 2D - 3D - UHD (4k) HDR Guide Internal & External Players iso menus

W11 Pro 24H2 MPC-BE\HC madVR KODI 22 GTX960-4GB/RGB 4:4:4/Desktop 60Hz 8bit Video Matched Refresh rates 23,24,50,60Hz 8/10/12bit/Samsung 82" Q90R Denon S720W
(2018-08-16, 16:39)luci5r Wrote:
(2018-08-16, 12:51)popy Wrote:

Thanks!!

Do you also have this issue with the 1030?Can you please post me your complete setup:
  • NVidia Driver Version 
  • PlayerCoreFactory.xml
Thanks a lot
pOpY    
 @popy :

I haven't used any UHD samples as such, I've only tested playing back full UHD HDR movies in MKV container from my UHD rips. I have not experienced a single jitter or stutter or playback issue. Everything I've thrown at it has been playing smooth & flawlessly. Some of the titles I've played:

Oblivion
Ghost in the shell
Atomic Blonde
Avengers: Infinity War

I do notice that you are using MPC-HC whereas I'm using MPC-BE. I'm not sure if that makes any difference. 

Here's the remaining info you requested:
    • Windows 10 Pro 1803
    • MPC-BE x64 v1.5.2 (build 3788) beta
    • LAV Filters 0.72.0
    • MadVR 0.92.14
    • Kodi 20180814-fc9faf32-master-x64

• LAV Video Configuration:

• MadVR Settings -- Following are the *ONLY* settings I changed in a fresh/default installation of MadVR. None of the other settings were touched at all. I left everything else as it is:

• NVidia Driver Version 
    • Version 398.82

• PlayerCoreFactory.xml
    • PCF:
      xml:
      <playercorefactory>
       <players>
          <player name="Blu-Ray" type="ExternalPlayer" audio="false" video="true">
            <filename>C:\Users\b3lial\AppData\Roaming\Kodi\userdata\PDVD.bat</filename>
          </player>
          <player name="4K-HDR" type="ExternalPlayer" audio="false" video="true">
            <filename>C:\Users\b3lial\AppData\Roaming\Kodi\userdata\MPCBE.bat</filename>
          </player>
       </players>
       <rules action="prepend">
          <rule filename=".*4K.*" player="4K-HDR"/>
          <rule filetypes="iso|bdmv|mpls|m2ts" player="Blu-Ray"/>
       </rules>
      </playercorefactory>

• MPCBE.bat:
      python:
      Set file=%1

set pth=%1
      "C:\Program Files\MPC-BE x64\mpc-be64.exe" %pth% exit
      exit

"C:\Program Files (x86)\NVIDIA Corporation\3D Vision\nvstlink.exe" /enable
      "C:\Program Files\MPC-BE x64\mpc-be64.exe" D:
      exit

• PDVD.bat:
      python:
      Set file=%1

set pth=%1
      "C:\Program Files (x86)\CyberLink\PowerDVD18\PowerDVD.exe" %pth% exit
      exit

"C:\Program Files (x86)\CyberLink\PowerDVD18\PowerDVD.exe" D:
      exit
Edit:

Also adding hardware specs.

Intel Core i5-2500K CPU @ 3.30 GHZ (3.60 Ghz Turbo)
8 GB (2 x 4GB) Dual Channel DDR 4 RAM
Nvidia GT 1030 (GP108-300-A1)

Samsung UN65MU700 UHD HDR display.

I should also add:

This is a Secondary (Client) HTPC. There is no media stored on this HTPC, on its drives. Everything played back on this HTPC is "Streamed" from my main HTPC which is in the Home Theatre, a couple rooms down. The streaming is achieved via the MediaBridge feature of 2 NetGear Nighthawk R7000 (AC1900) Routers using the 'AC' band. 

Thanks!! 
thx a lot for your settings.
Mine was basically the same.
Will try real movies.

PS.: Other issue (stop in kodi) is solved: https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/pull/14306

pOpY
(2018-08-16, 21:12)popy Wrote: thx a lot for your settings.
Mine was basically the same.
Will try real movies.

PS.: Other issue (stop in kodi) is solved: https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/pull/14306

pOpY 

That sounds great! Let us know what you find. Meanwhile I'll be testing more media and playing longer.

And thanks for the fixes! Dev's must be really happy you stepped in Smile
do you know if dvdfab v3 and v5 can co-exist?  I dont want to use powerdvd at all if I can help it
Yes, they are two different players.

(2018-08-15, 21:27)brazen1 Wrote: My Desktop and Kodi resolution have always been set to 2160p and had no problems at all until now trying v.18 nightly.  How do you "disable KODI resolution switching"?  Problem happens with all players, not just MPC.  Remember, problem does not happen with 2D that is always 2160p, only 3D that must switch to 1080p and then return to 2160p when finished.  Sequence is:  Desktop and KODI fullscreen at native 2160p.  Start 3D.  Player opens.  Resolution changes to 1080p 3D.  Panel 3D frame packed mode engages.  Playback begins and all is well.  Alt + F4 player.  Panel 3D frame packed mode releases.  Resolution changes to 2160p.  KODI is no longer in fullscreen.  It is about 1/50th the size of my display screen deposited in top left corner inside a larger black box that is about 1/20th the size of my entire display screen.

@brazen1  I just wanted to let you know that this behavior is happening to me with KODI 17.6 a very long time now...!!! 
It also happens even when playing HDR movies with MPC-BE and going back to KODI after stopping-closing.
W10 1809/MPC-BE KODI/1060 6GB/YCbCr 4:4:4/12bit Desktop mode=23Hz Video mode=Matched Refresh rates/LG OLED65E6V UHD HDR 3D/ Pioneer SC-LX901
Hey guys.

Fix for kodi freeze on STOP command is merged: https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/pull/14306
Also another PR https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/pull/14315 is merged so a third party remote control app can better detect if an external player is running.
So it can decide to remap buttons and so on.

Should be included in the upcomming nightly.

pOpY
(2018-08-20, 12:25)popy Wrote: Hey guys.

Fix for kodi freeze on STOP command is merged: https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/pull/14306
Also another PR https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/pull/14315 is merged so a third party remote control app can better detect if an external player is running.
So it can decide to remap buttons and so on.

Should be included in the upcomming nightly.

pOpY
@popy ,

Thank you so much! You have contributed greatly in a short time to improve our use of external players, and, for some of us, allowed us to switch to Leia as the daily driver.

What third party remote control app are you using that can remap buttons based on an external player running? I thought you mentioned Yatse, but just wanted to be sure.  

Again, thanks a lot for your contributions.

Regards,

Bart
  • 51(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
HOW TO - Kodi 2D - 3D - UHD (4k) HDR Guide Internal & External Players ISO Menus39