• 52(current)
Win HOW TO - Kodi 2D - 3D - UHD (4k) HDR Guide Internal & External Players ISO Menus
(2018-08-20, 12:25)popy Wrote: Fix for kodi freeze on STOP command is merged: https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/pull/14306

Should be included in the upcomming nightly.

pOpY
 Now you've got me wondering if "stop" and "quit" are the same thing?  Last I tried with v.18 when quitting a player after 3D resolution change from 1080p back to 2160p, not only did KODI window inside of a window when it should have remained fullscreen (plus produce a half written GUI), it was unresponsive.  I thought a simple "\" backslash could remedy but didn't respond.  So, KODI is basically "freezing" and perhaps your fix will have a positive outcome for this scenario also?  Will give this evenings nightly a shot tomorrow unless you tell me it's already there.  Thank you again.

@zxaura1
This problem was not present in v.17.6.  That is why pOpY is fixing in prep for v.18.  Make sure you are in fullscreen rather than windowed in KODI settings.  That setting has some affect on some systems when using any external player.  Other than that, double check other settings in all components matching guide as well as hardware and drivers.  I've only read of your problem when users were not using the official version of KODI.
HOW TO - Kodi 2D - 3D - UHD (4k) HDR Guide Internal & External Players iso menus
DIY HOME THEATER WIND EFFECT

W11 Pro 24H2 MPC-BE\HC madVR KODI 22 GTX960-4GB/RGB 4:4:4/Desktop 60Hz 8bit Video Matched Refresh rates 23,24,50,60Hz 8/10/12bit/Samsung 82" Q90R Denon S720W
(2018-08-20, 15:35)bsoriano Wrote:
(2018-08-20, 12:25)popy Wrote: Hey guys.

Fix for kodi freeze on STOP command is merged: https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/pull/14306
Also another PR https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/pull/14315 is merged so a third party remote control app can better detect if an external player is running.
So it can decide to remap buttons and so on.

pOpY
@popy ,

Thank you so much! You have contributed greatly in a short time to improve our use of external players, and, for some of us, allowed us to switch to Leia as the daily driver.

What third party remote control app are you using that can remap buttons based on an external player running? I thought you mentioned Yatse, but just wanted to be sure.  

Again, thanks a lot for your contributions.

Regards,

Bart 
thanks for your kind words.
Didnt even know that so much users are actively using this feature  Blush

Yep, yatse can natively control MPC-(HC or BE) when it detects that an external player was launched.
I am controlling my complete kodi experience since years with yatse+Eventghost and without any other remote (like harmony i had before).
Also WOL is working great. Now that my old TV has died i have got an 4K ready one and have searched for ways to playback 4K on it througth kodi.
Here comes "external player" and MPC into the game.So with yatse you don't have to change remote control app for MPC external player, it seamlessly switches the control over to MPC rather then sending it to kodi.

Sadly, until now (see PR https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/pull/14315), there was'nt a clean way to detect if an external player is active.
The detection was based on checking some flags/times but not the real information.
There was a lot of changes in kodi v18, so yatse and others sometimes failed to detect that an external player was active -> remote hasnt worked.
With the change in the GetActivePlayers jsonrpc api, any app which using this api can now perfectly detect, if the player which is running, is internal, external or remote.
PS.: The next version of yatse is using this api, so the issue that it does'nt recognize external playback in kodi, should be gone.

pOpY
(2018-08-20, 17:42)brazen1 Wrote:
(2018-08-20, 12:25)popy Wrote: Fix for kodi freeze on STOP command is merged: https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/pull/14306

pOpY
 Now you've got me wondering if "stop" and "quit" are the same thing?  Last I tried with v.18 when quitting a player after 3D resolution change from 1080p back to 2160p, not only did KODI window inside of a window when it should have remained fullscreen (plus produce a half written GUI), it was unresponsive.  I thought a simple "\" backslash could remedy but didn't respond.  So, KODI is basically "freezing" and perhaps your fix will have a positive outcome for this scenario also?  Will give this evenings nightly a shot tomorrow unless you tell me it's already there.  Thank you again.

@zxaura1
This problem was not present in v.17.6.  That is why pOpY is fixing in prep for v.18.  Make sure you are in fullscreen rather than windowed in KODI settings.  That setting has some affect on some systems when using any external player.  Other than that, double check other settings in all components matching guide as well as hardware and drivers.  I've only read of your problem when users were not using the official version of KODI. 
 The issue i have fixed was JUST when kodi itself stopped the plaback.
This can be triggered with:
  • X (on the keyboard) = STOP
  • stop over jsonrpc (like yatse, ...)
  • stop from any other input device like an remote
This was 100% reproduceable and is now fixed.
Kodi did not freeze when i closed the external player itself from windows (like ALT-F4, menu bar -> Quit...).

Which method do you mean with "quit"?

PS.: Just give the next nightly a try and let us know.

pOpY
"Quit" meaning exit the external player whether by remote keymap, mouse on red X, or ALT-F4.  Doesn't matter.  All the methods close the player(s) successfully as they should and always have but result in KODI v.18 malfunction described previously.  Sounds like the issue you are fixing is unrelated to what I've described and experience but I'll try it again anyway just to leave no room for doubt.  If KODI can't function after watching a 3D movie without forcefully killing it and restarting it again, its graceful shutdown will never occur and it needs a graceful shutdown or more problems will arise.  I understand no one is interested in 3D frame packed iso anymore and have abandoned them but I haven't.  I assume even with a ticket on the issue, no one can replicate it since they don't have the equipment and can't get the equipment even if they wanted to in order to replicate/diagnose.  Will probably end up stuck with 17.6 which is better than nothing.  Bums me out...

Your contributions don't go unnoticed or unappreciated though.  Beneficial for those with narrow or no 3D interests but keeping external player usage alive and well in all other aspects.  Thank you again.
HOW TO - Kodi 2D - 3D - UHD (4k) HDR Guide Internal & External Players iso menus

W11 Pro 24H2 MPC-BE\HC madVR KODI 22 GTX960-4GB/RGB 4:4:4/Desktop 60Hz 8bit Video Matched Refresh rates 23,24,50,60Hz 8/10/12bit/Samsung 82" Q90R Denon S720W
(2018-08-20, 17:42)brazen1 Wrote: @zxaura1
 @brazen1  I was on full screen windowed yes. That was it...!!! Thank you very very much! Although, now the transition back to KODI is much more delayed, but better this, instead of the very small KODI window. Maybe because I still use the LouncherForKODI (I want the green button on MCE remote to open KODI).Another thing I wanted to ask a long time now, is about sound. Every movie I have is with HD sound (Atmos, TrueHD, DTS-HD) and when playing with the receiver ON everything is perfect. But when the receiver is OFF and the signal is passing through to the TV (LG OLED 65E6V) I get no sound at all when playing with KODI Video Player. With PowerDVD and MPC-BE I hear sound on TV, although PCM. I tried every possible combination in KODI setup but didn't find any permanent solution. If I disable passtrough I hear sound on TV (when receiver OFF), but only DD or DTS on receiver(when ON). If I enable WASAPI  I hear HD sound on receiver(when ON) but no sound on TV(when receiver OFF). I would be grateful for your ideas.
W10 1809/MPC-BE KODI/1060 6GB/YCbCr 4:4:4/12bit Desktop mode=23Hz Video mode=Matched Refresh rates/LG OLED65E6V UHD HDR 3D/ Pioneer SC-LX901
Thanks Popy for your amazing work.

I can confirm, at least for me, the latest nightly lets me launch DVDfab5 as my default player and also no longer hangs upon quite back to Kodi. FANTASTIC!

Life is good.

Thanks again,

Mark
(2018-08-21, 13:49)acemt Wrote: Thanks Popy for your amazing work.

I can confirm, at least for me, the latest nightly lets me launch DVDfab5 as my default player and also no longer hangs upon quite back to Kodi. FANTASTIC!

Life is good.

Thanks again,

Mark
Thanks for your feedback and nice that the issue is fixed.

pOpY
You guys are making me want to play with 18. If I remember correctly I really can't install 18 side-by-side in the same Windows instance, though, correct? That's going to mean a lot more work but I'll put it on the project list if I have to...
(2018-08-21, 14:49)twinpeaks Wrote: You guys are making me want to play with 18. If I remember correctly I really can't install 18 side-by-side in the same Windows instance, though, correct? That's going to mean a lot more work but I'll put it on the project list if I have to...
 I dont know a way that v17 & v18 cant coexist on the same windows maschine.
v18 does an upgrade of your userdata folder and files in it.

But you can easily backup your userdata folder to a safe place.
Try v18, let it do its upgrade, play with it, change config and so on.
When you done and need your v17 back.
Just install v17.6 again and before you start it, restore the old userdata folder.
ALso backup your v18 userdata folder in case you want to start from scratch again.

pOpY
(2018-08-21, 06:48)zxaura1 Wrote:
 @brazen1  I was on full screen windowed yes. That was it...!!! Thank you very very much! Although, now the transition back to KODI is much more delayed, but better this, instead of the very small KODI window. Maybe because I still use the LouncherForKODI (I want the green button on MCE remote to open KODI).Another thing I wanted to ask a long time now, is about sound. Every movie I have is with HD sound (Atmos, TrueHD, DTS-HD) and when playing with the receiver ON everything is perfect. But when the receiver is OFF and the signal is passing through to the TV (LG OLED 65E6V) I get no sound at all when playing with KODI Video Player. With PowerDVD and MPC-BE I hear sound on TV, although PCM. I tried every possible combination in KODI setup but didn't find any permanent solution. If I disable passtrough I hear sound on TV (when receiver OFF), but only DD or DTS on receiver(when ON). If I enable WASAPI  I hear HD sound on receiver(when ON) but no sound on TV(when receiver OFF). I would be grateful for your ideas. 
 Which GPU and which driver for starters?

(2018-08-21, 14:49)twinpeaks Wrote: You guys are making me want to play with 18. If I remember correctly I really can't install 18 side-by-side in the same Windows instance, though, correct? That's going to mean a lot more work but I'll put it on the project list if I have to...
 You could use the portable method but I've always done exactly what PoPy suggested.  Rename your userdata folder to 17.6_Kodi.  Now it won't be touched when you install v.18 and a new one will be automatically created when you open v.18 first time.  Install and setup v.18 fresh and don't overwrite a copy of your old 17.6 userdata folder.  You don't have to populate everything you have.  Just put a few of your interests covering all the formats you use.  If you like it, you can populate everything later.  If you don't, no harm done.  Rename your new v.18 KODI userdata folder to 18_Kodi.  Then you'll have it the next time you want to retest.  Rename your original 17.6_Kodi back to Kodi, install 17.6, and you're good to go where you left off before testing.  Now you're also ready to test another nightly in the future or refine it to a daily driver a little at a time while still having the option to revert back and forth at will.

(2018-08-21, 16:58)brazen1 Wrote:
(2018-08-21, 06:48)zxaura1 Wrote:
 Which GPU and which driver for starters?

GTX 1050Ti since yesterday, GTX 1060 before. Latest driver (398.82) since yesterday, same problem with every driver as I can remember. I tried 358.28, but didn’t test the sound because MPC-BE for HDR isn’t working for me with this driver. For my setup HDR started to work after 387.xx as I can remember.
W10 1809/MPC-BE KODI/1060 6GB/YCbCr 4:4:4/12bit Desktop mode=23Hz Video mode=Matched Refresh rates/LG OLED65E6V UHD HDR 3D/ Pioneer SC-LX901
Either you have a typo or some wrong settings.  358.28 is never going to work, however, 385.28 works best.  Every driver after 385.28 introduced audio problems and many others of one sort or another.  That's why I use it to this day problem free.  That's why I asked.  May improve your problems or at least ensure you are starting off on the right foot to diagnosing them.

Yes it was a typo, 385.28 I meant, sorry. I will try it again with the new card. Thank you very much for your help!
@brazen1 :

Curious about something. What does "RGB 4:4:4" imply in your signature? Also noticed @zxaura1 having "YCbCr 4:2:2" in his signature instead. What does this imply and how are the 2 different?

Thanks!
  • 52(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
HOW TO - Kodi 2D - 3D - UHD (4k) HDR Guide Internal & External Players ISO Menus39